Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harrington Search To Continue Through Weekend.

Posted: Nov 06, 2009 5:32 PM EST Updated: Nov 06, 2009 5:32 PM EST
Featured Videos

11460071_BG1.jpg

Morgan Harrington has now been missing for 20 days. All Friday, people who have never met her searched for her.
The volunteer searchers fanned out from the Copely Street Bridge, where she was last seen.
"We're just so grateful for all the community support that has been given to our family in the search for Morgan," says her father, Dan Harrington.
Every volunteer was given specific instructions.
"Once they go out and search and they come back, and we gather any information they may find out in the field, we pass all this back to law enforcement," says Laura Recovery Center founder Bob Smithers.
The volunteers all have different reasons for getting involved.
http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11460071

http://findmorgan.com/

First friend with Morgan at Metallica concert to speak up:

This was link was posted by Waddles in thread #5
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/article/new_search_effort_for_morgan_harrington_begins/60473/

Sgt. Herrick’s daughter has been best friends with Morgan Harrington for more than ten years. His daughter is one of “the nine,“ a group of close friends who grew up with Morgan in Roanoke County.
Current JMU student and Northside High School graduate Sarah Snead is another member of “the nine” who came out to search on Friday. Sarah also was one of two friends at the Metallica concert with Morgan, and maybe one of the last to talk to Morgan before her disappearance.
She took a phone call from Morgan that said “don’t worry, I’ll find a way home.“ Sarah and the other friend drove Morgan’s car back to JMU after that concert.
“We wouldn’t have done it if we didn’t think it was okay. Now obviously we wish things had taken place differently,“ Sarah told me. “It’s been one of the worst experiences ever,“ she added.
Sarah and the other volunteers patiently waited through safety and search training from the Laura Rescue Center group that was in Charlottesville. Volunteers took their time going through the woods, not wanting to miss anything that appears out of place.

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/state...ch_effort_for_morgan_harrington_begins/60473/

Quote:
Originally Posted by part time prof View Post
Thanks for the picture/link to map.

Yes, the appeal of a backstage visit with Metallica has always seemed plausible as a perceived solution to being inadvertently barred re-entry.

But how did you determine which door she found herself outside of? I missed that. I agree the backstage area is close, but it looks to be at a significantly lower elevation, and I didn't see an easy way (e.g., stairs) down. Maybe there are. But if she were led...

Also, it would have had to have been after 9:30 (which it well could have been) and she would have had to return to this area from Copeley Bridge if the official time-line and sightings are accurate and no others have surfaced. And the grandmother's testimony of an argument/minor assault in the parking lot with someone it looked like MH knew could have been after she returned to meet him, then thought better of it and tried to get out of the situation. Again, just speculation, but what time was grandma's supposed (and supposedly discredited by LE) sighting?
Ooops, forgot to mention how I knew which door she was at ... sorry.

On one of the Bing maps, a list of 4-5 images will show up on the left. Chose the ones under Results found by other people. The first map under that heading has numbered labels addressing what's where at the arena, and #3 says that's where Morgan was locked out. It is between the last and next-to-last columns on the right side of the arena. That's not my user map--someone else put it together, and it appears that it's someone familiar with the case (see the other numbered labels they've created).

I do think it's strange that the door Morgan stood by was the last door before the very back of the arena, where crew and band members (and I supposed arena staff) enter.

Since Copeley Road is directly behind the arena's back doors (a short walk), it would have taken MH just minute or so to get to it. As for "grandma's" sighting, weren't there two grandmas? The newspaper lady says she saw MH at about 3:30 am. The other one, who was with her grandson(s), claims to have seem MH much early, but I don't remember the exact time. 10ish?

Confusion reigns!

If you go here:

http://tinyurl.com/yfzmbqn

You should see the boxes on the left as well as the Results found by other people. Note # 3 and other numbers on the first or second map. Be sure to turn the map to the back of the arena to see the #3 I am talking about.

ETA: P.S. Never mind--it's so aggravating. #3 moves as the image moves per map. Front view, it's in one place; back view, it's in another.

brought above over

I added a pin for the smoking balcony.

Watching the video of Sarah Sneed interview, she just seems to distance herself from the whole thing and shows no sense of guilt or anything. I'm not saying she is guilty of anything but if I were in her shoes I'd be feeling like I was a big duchebag leaving my friend, I'd feel as though whatever happened to her was my fault - even if it wasn't. All I get from this girl though is "Ah shucks, uhmmm if we thought anything bad, uhmmm you know we wouldn't have done it...." blah blah blah - sorry - but so not what I expected from the gal who left her friend outside alone in the cold and drove HER car home without her that night.

anyhow, also another of the nine was identified in that interview, daughter of the Roanoke Cty Police Detective Sgt. Jim Herrick. Hmmmm. that's all I'll say for now. Don't stone me cause it's MOO.

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/article/new_search_effort_for_morgan_harrington_begins/60473/

I was amazed watching the Sarah Sneed interview. She could have been talking about a case she'd read in the newspaper and certainly didn't come across as a long-term, best friend of Morgan. Even if she has been told it is not her fault, if it were me I'd definitely be blaming myself, if for nothing else than just leaving my friend all alone, outside the arena, not able to get back in, cold and with no real way home. And she was the last one to speak with Morgan. Sheesh, I'd rather be friendless than have friends like this. All IMHO, of course.

http://tinyurl.com/y85536o

This is the best map of the back of the JPJ arena yet. Excellent and clear labels showing the path MH took toward the Copeley bridge. Please take a look.

Turn the map to the back of JPJ using the arrow left or arrow right button to see the labels in their proper position and follow labels 1 through 6.

I don't know if wanttohelp did this or someone else, but bravo very well done.

This is the best map of the back of the JPJ arena yet. Excellent and clear labels showing the path MH took toward the Copeley bridge. Please take a look.

This is an excellent map. I can't see MH just dropping/losing her purse & cell phone and then continuing on across the bridge UNLESS she was trying to get away from someone.

Do the eyewitness reports say which way she was headed?

Melissa.

Sarah Sneed...I have no words. Except one...disgusted!

After checking out that map, it seems only logical to think that where her purse was found was where she was abducted. Wasn't there a mention of her being spotted on both sides of the bridge going different directions? Or was she going in the same direction when spotted? I'm just asking because maybe she went back that way and was taken from there. I mean it seems to create a pattern somewhat. Not to mention that would explain why her purse was left there. I have never dropped my purse and not gone back for it.

After checking out that map, it seems only logical to think that where her purse was found was where she was abducted. Wasn't there a mention of her being spotted on both sides of the bridge going different directions? Or was she going in the same direction when spotted? I'm just asking because maybe she went back that way and was taken from there. I mean it seems to create a pattern somewhat. Not to mention that would explain why her purse was left there. I have never dropped my purse and not gone back for it.

I read that she was seen on both sides of the bridge, but didn't take that to mean heading in both directions, only toward Ivy Road. The both sides could mean JPJ Arena side and Ivy Road side (if she was on the lone sidewalk on the east side of the bridge) or Lannigan Field side and UHall side, if for instance she started walking from Lannigan on that side, but then realizing there was no sidewalk there crossed to the UHall side to keep heading toward Ivy.

Still, just because she wasn't seen coming back from Ivy across the bridge doesn't mean that it didn't happen after 9:30, at which point whatever happened to MH and her purse happened.

findmorgan.com forums, "dogs", "reply #2"

He said the dogs last picked up her trace around the railroad behind Wild Wing Cafe.

Had we heard this before? Might not be true but could be

He said the dogs last picked up her trace around the railroad behind Wild Wing Cafe.

I, too, had not seen this before.

I also recall reading a report that there was indeed an Amtrak train to Lynchburg that night, but it's scheduled to leave C'ville at 8:52, well before the sighting on Copeley Bridge. Then again, Amtrak tends to run late, so getting to Lynchburg (closer to Roanoke/Blacksburg?) may have felt like an option to MH, barring a found ride to Harrisonburg. But, LE says no more calls on her phone after 8:48, so how would MH have known the one train was delayed? idk.

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I haven't seen it. This is an interview with DS - the girl in the video that everyone first thought might be Morgan. Her story is very interesting:

On Tuesday, Virginia State Police confirmed the video and pictures thought to show Morgan Harrington before her disappearance October 17, actually show James Madison University sophomore Dee Spolarics. Spolarics says this case of mistaken identity is opening up a world of similarities between herself and the missing student.

When Spolarics bought a ticket to the concert, she had no idea just how small her world was about to become.

Spolarics, her boyfriend and three other guys went to the concert and say it was a great crowd. Afterward, they tried to meet up with friends, seated in another part of the arena. Those friends were mutual friends of Spolarics and Morgan Harrington.

"We call and [our friend] is like, 'We're actually missing somebody,' one of the people she was with, and they're like, 'We don't know what happened to her. She said she was getting a ride home, so we guess she's fine,' but so we're like OK, we didn't think anything of it and they went home," says Spolarics.

More than a week later, those trying to find Harrington spotted a blond woman in video posted online and made a connection. Spolarics says she's the one in the video and police agree.

"I thought I would say 'oh that's not me' and it would be over, but people were coming up with theories," says Spolarics.

Spolarics and Harrington are both average height, blond, college-aged women. The night of the concert they were both wearing black shirts, black mini-skirts and black boots.

"I can definitely see people who didn't know, who wanted it to be Morgan, I wish it was her and not me," says Spolarics.

[END QUOTE]

SOURCE: http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/66764102.html

Bold by me to ask this question - I thought the girls said MH had a ride home so they left and it wasn't a big deal. If this is the case - and they thought she had a ride home and was fine then why 1) did they wait around in the parking lot? and 2) tell friends they were supposed to hang out with what is bolded above?

"We have somebody missing." Sure doesn't sound the same as, "Our friend left the concert and got a ride home with someone." IMO, of course.

I'm shocked to read this! I had not seen this before at all. If this is true - I find it hard to believe she walked from JPJ to here. That would be quite a hike...even for a 20 year old.

I'm shocked to read this! I had not seen this before at all. If this is true - I find it hard to believe she walked from JPJ to here. That would be quite a hike...even for a 20 year old.

1.4 miles according to MapQuest, a straight shot west on Ivy Road past lots of UVA and town activity (not that there aren't sketchy parts/longish isolated stretches).

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I haven't seen it. This is an interview with DS - the girl in the video that everyone first thought might be Morgan. Her story is very interesting:

On Tuesday, Virginia State Police confirmed the video and pictures thought to show Morgan Harrington before her disappearance October 17, actually show James Madison University sophomore Dee Spolarics. Spolarics says this case of mistaken identity is opening up a world of similarities between herself and the missing student.

When Spolarics bought a ticket to the concert, she had no idea just how small her world was about to become.

Spolarics, her boyfriend and three other guys went to the concert and say it was a great crowd. Afterward, they tried to meet up with friends, seated in another part of the arena. Those friends were mutual friends of Spolarics and Morgan Harrington.

"We call and [our friend] is like, 'We're actually missing somebody,' one of the people she was with, and they're like, 'We don't know what happened to her. She said she was getting a ride home, so we guess she's fine,' but so we're like OK, we didn't think anything of it and they went home," says Spolarics.

More than a week later, those trying to find Harrington spotted a blond woman in video posted online and made a connection. Spolarics says she's the one in the video and police agree.

"I thought I would say 'oh that's not me' and it would be over, but people were coming up with theories," says Spolarics.

Spolarics and Harrington are both average height, blond, college-aged women. The night of the concert they were both wearing black shirts, black mini-skirts and black boots.

"I can definitely see people who didn't know, who wanted it to be Morgan, I wish it was her and not me," says Spolarics.

SOURCE: http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/66764102.html

Bold by me to ask this question - I thought the girls said MH had a ride home so they left and it wasn't a big deal. If this is the case - and they thought she had a ride home and was fine then why 1) did they wait around in the parking lot? and 2) tell friends they were supposed to hang out with what is bolded above?

"We have somebody missing." Sure doesn't sound the same as, "Our friend left the concert and got a ride home with someone." IMO, of course.

Yeah, I posted this yesterday too-I find it super odd that they use the words "missing somebody" too, as in one of our party is "missing". It may just have been DS's choice of words-maybe the girls just said they got separated from MH and would wait around to see if she was still coming.

Surely they would have tried to call her while they were waiting at the car to double check if she really did get her ride. Again, as we've stated hundreds of times on all these boards, I'm surprised they were never alarmed that her phone was switched off, and after not being able to reach her between 8:48 and midday next day or having had any message from MH confirming she had got her ride, you'd really think they would have raised the alarm.

DS also says "they went home", not "we went home" so she could have stayed around to party with her boyfriend and his friends, and along with any of the other similarly dressed blondes at the concert could have been the girl sighted much later at night.

Looking on the second FB page at the new photos of "the nine" with SS and AM in all of the pics with MH over a long time frame, obviously strongly bonded- it just makes no sense to me - And to repeat myself and everyone on here again- something is fishy

1.4 miles according to MapQuest, a straight shot west on Ivy Road past lots of UVA and town activity (not that there aren't sketchy parts/longish isolated stretches).

Yea that what I was thinking, too. We actually searched close to that area yesterday and even in the daylight with a group of people it was kinda sketchy. I just can't see her going to catch a train. Idk - it just seems like a weird option. Have the bus schedules been checked? The Greyhound station is right there by Wild Wings, too. All of this seems odd to me though...

Turn the map to the back of JPJ using the arrow left or arrow right button to see the labels in their proper position and follow labels 1 through 6.

I don't know if wanttohelp did this or someone else, but bravo very well done.

I think she was heading to the stores and thought she could cut through the woods via the JV field, but when she realized she couldn't due to the trains etc, she went onto the bridge to get to the stores. Something happened there around the bridge because if she made it to the stores there would definitely be witnesses imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff