GUILTY IL - Jahmeshia Conner, 12, Englewood, 29 Nov 2009

SouthernMom

Reaction score
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7148627

snip-- Jahmeshia's mother was surrounded Tuesday night by family and friends trying to comfort her. Among them was the mother of another young murder victim.

"It just hurts me to see that this child being reported missing, to me, wasn't taken serious enough for people to get out here and do what they had to do to prevent us from being here today," said Sabrina Harris, victim Ryan Harris' mother.

"When someone is missing, we should be more diligent about putting their faces on the TV, whether there's an Amber Alert or not," said Powell.

Congressman Bobby Rush says authorities assumed Jahmeshia had run away from home, despite word from family that she had spent the day at church before boarding a bus for home.

My first posting, please excuse my ignorance of policy, but I thought this little girl's family could use the help of the wonderful sleuths here.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1918341,CST-NWS-girl03.article

snip--[Police listed Jahmeshia as "missing person juvenile'' in the FBI's National Crime Information Center database.

But Robert Lowery, executive director of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children -- founded by "America's Most Wanted" TV show host John Walsh -- said that category is accepted in the missing-persons arena as meaning "likely runaway."

"That classification by itself suggests that that child is missing voluntarily," he said. "Typically, when police list a child as a 'missing juvenile,' it's a runaway, unless there's a flag on it that the child has been abducted or is involuntarily missing. There was no indication by CPD of endangerment or of her being involuntarily missing." ]

From what I have read LE dropped the ball on this from day one. So sad.

That's so sad...

snip-- Jahmeshia's mother was surrounded Tuesday night by family and friends trying to comfort her. Among them was the mother of another young murder victim.

"It just hurts me to see that this child being reported missing, to me, wasn't taken serious enough for people to get out here and do what they had to do to prevent us from being here today," said Sabrina Harris, victim Ryan Harris' mother.

"When someone is missing, we should be more diligent about putting their faces on the TV, whether there's an Amber Alert or not," said Powell.

Congressman Bobby Rush says authorities assumed Jahmeshia had run away from home, despite word from family that she had spent the day at church before boarding a bus for home.

My first posting, please excuse my ignorance of policy, but I thought this little girl's family could use the help of the wonderful sleuths here.

And how long would it have taken for LE to verify that she was at church that day.
How many family members would use church as a way to hide a runaway?
She was not a runaway.
She was walked to the bus.

Someone in LE did not do a thorough job.
And now she's gone.

SouthernMom, the only "ignorance" I see here is coming from LE. Why don't they listen to a parent when they say it's out of character for their child to disappear? :furious:

She was found in an alley a block away? 2 weeks later? Had her body been there for 2 weeks? If it was, it makes no sense that she was not found in family searches. Or, someone had her for 2 weeks before she was killed.

Senseless.

Some reports say they believe she had only been deceased for a day before they found her. I wonder when the coroner's report will come back? I wonder if LE thinks there is any urgency now?
You would think the Sowell murders in Cleveland would have wisened LE up to not take these reports lightly?
Rest in peace, Jahmeshia.

Missing two weeks, determined to have been dead one day (HLN news)

This is why I have to take very long breaks from this forum. :( Sometimes it's just too much for my heart to bear.

SouthernMom, the only "ignorance" I see here is coming from LE. Why don't they listen to a parent when they say it's out of character for their child to disappear? :furious:

Or wrap their heads around the fact that a 12yo is endangered even if a runaway & no one knows there they are!

LE of anyone should know all the horrible things that can happen to a runaway child -- so they need to be found!

It's no excuse for not trying to find her if that's what happened in this case.

Prayers for her family, friends & community. :(

This is so sad. It seems she didn't get ANY media attention until after it was too late :(

My prayers and thoughts go out to Jahmeshia's family and friends. :rose:

snip-- "Police said there were several sightings of Jahmeshia in the two weeks she was missing from home. They also say that they believe she was killed in the 24 hours before she was found and that her body was dumped in an alley after the fact."

This bright young girl could possibly have been saved from the animal that took her life too soon. I'm sure her family will have a lifetime of regrets about not checking with one another the night Jahmeshia went missing, but that delay should have been another reason for the Chicago LE to get on the ball.

I have to back track for a moment-how does a 12 year old become classified as an endangered runaway??? She was 12. NCMEC had her classified based on her entry into the national databases, so I am sure much of what the family is reporting is likely true. The fact that the bus tapes were taped over is HUGE. But tell me the bus driver didnt notice where a 12 year old gets off the bus when she typically rides it herself???

I hope the local LE will be more active in finding her killer. It's sad to think of what she might have suffered at the hands of the individual who kept her alive for two weeks and abused her horribly, strangled her and left her lying in an alley.
I'm glad that her family has her now, but sad that it is under these circumstances. :(

O/T but on topic, I have talked to several Chicago detectives about a variety of cases. I have always found them up to date on cutting edge technology, willing to look at various social websites and grateful for any tips that they receive on any case. Clearly there is some kind of culture in some of these departments however that lends itself to less than victim friendly attitudes. What GIVES? Are they that buried?

http://pleasehelpthesemissingchildren.blogspot.com/2009/12/missing-and-now-deceased-jahmeshia.html

A blogger discusses the mistakes made by LE and the media in the Jahmeshia Connor case. There was another article which I can't find right now that named an activist who had searched for Jahmeshia and was two other missing 12 year olds on the south side of Chicago. Their names are nowhere to be found in the media either. Why isn't Nancy Grace covering this?

Very disturbing. Where are these two children??

RIP Jahmeshia.
I am so sorry that we all failed you. May you soar with the angels.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back