Who is this "Mort"..Guardian of Caylee's Crime Scene Pics??

sleutherontheside

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Not much has been discussed regarding Mort Smith, Andrea L's PI from Chicago. He has been in court and now appears to be the custodian of the sensitive crime scene photos.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/19435745/Order-on-Defenses-Motion-To-Modify-Crime-Scene-And-Autopsy-Photos-Order

As proof Mort is the one responsible, see the 10/16/09 Motion Hearing, Part 2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWIO_luem4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWIO_luem4&feature=related[/ame]

10/16/09 Motions Hearing about sealed remains pictures. Picture discussion starts about 2:20

Mort Smith, Part 2 of video, 8:15, Mort talks to Andrea (pic discussion continues in Part 3):
During crime scene picture discussion (he is sitting behind defense table), Mort goes forward to whisper to Andrea for a few seconds, whereupon she jumps up and tells the judge that " one thing you could do, is, perhaps, you might want to have one member of the team, uh, or, or 2 members of the team, just agree to be sort of guardians of the photographs, and make sure that we show them, and retrieve them, and put them in a secure place"

Then Baez confers with Andrea for a few seconds, and says "Actually judge, I don't think that that would work because of the amount of travel, we have people out of state, it's not like we have people in state"
Part 3 of video, :50 seconds Part 3 of video, :50 seconds ... re=related )
Baez says "I propose that we allow actually, burned discs of the photographs that our experts specifically in that field would need."

Some attorney discussion, then:

"They cold be personally delivered to the expert, that could be our option, personally handed and signed for"

Judge says "I'm going to grant your motion" whereupon Andrea, Casey and Baez all start writing.

Judge want them personally delivered, how many copies out there, originals to be returned to Baez, and a sworn statement that no copies were made.

I have done some preliminary research into this man and find that his webhost is in Orlando....odd since he is in Chicago. I find it odd because his webhost appears to be rather small time, does transcription on the side, and has an interest in sports cars. Why does the "sports / exotic" cars theme seem to run so heavily through this defense team and trickle down to the reward money?

I am also curious why Mort chose not to press charges against JJ regarding the illegal taping of the interview. Is it possible that a particular interview tactic or agenda would have been evident thus causing damage to the defense?

Thoughts??

Not much has been discussed regarding Mort Smith, Andrea L's PI from Chicago. He has been in court and now appears to be the custodian of the sensitive crime scene photos.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/19435745/Order-on-Defenses-Motion-To-Modify-Crime-Scene-And-Autopsy-Photos-Order

As proof Mort is the one responsible, see the 10/16/09 Motion Hearing, Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlzUdi1gfA

10/16/09 Motions Hearing about sealed remains pictures. Picture discussion starts about 2:20

Mort Smith, Part 2 of video, 8:15, Mort talks to Andrea (pic discussion continues in Part 3):
During crime scene picture discussion (he is sitting behind defense table), Mort goes forward to whisper to Andrea for a few seconds, whereupon she jumps up and tells the judge that " one thing you could do, is, perhaps, you might want to have one member of the team, uh, or, or 2 members of the team, just agree to be sort of guardians of the photographs, and make sure that we show them, and retrieve them, and put them in a secure place"

Then Baez confers with Andrea for a few seconds, and says "Actually judge, I don't think that that would work because of the amount of travel, we have people out of state, it's not like we have people in state"
Part 3 of video, :50 seconds Part 3 of video, :50 seconds ... re=related )
Baez says "I propose that we allow actually, burned discs of the photographs that our experts specifically in that field would need."

Some attorney discussion, then:

"They cold be personally delivered to the expert, that could be our option, personally handed and signed for"

Judge says "I'm going to grant your motion" whereupon Andrea, Casey and Baez all start writing.

Judge want them personally delivered, how many copies out there, originals to be returned to Baez, and a sworn statement that no copies were made.

I have done some preliminary research into this man and find that his webhost is in Orlando....odd since he is in Chicago. I find it odd because his webhost appears to be rather small time, does transcription on the side, and has an interest in sports cars. Why does the "sports / exotic" cars theme seem to run so heavily through this defense team and trickle down to the reward money?
I am also curious why Mort chose not to press charges against JJ regarding the illegal taping of the interview. Is it possible that a particular interview tactic or agenda would have been evident thus causing damage to the defense?

Thoughts??

Sleuther, can you refresh my memory about that fundraiser that was held for a drawing for some sports car at the beginning of the case (the car/drawing that I think never materialized?)

I am vaguely recalling it, but not enough to even try to do a thread search?

The Never Lose Hope FOundation hosted the raffle for the sportscars. Tickets were sold yet no winner could ever be verified. The car was provided by Skyview.....both are now defunct. I will get the link for you.

From what I can remember, "KidnotFinders" (i think) held the fundraiser with an exotic car up for raffle. People bought tickets but there was no car, no winner.

I think the fundraiser was a rally of some kind? Someone else will probably remember more :)

A little OT, but I cannot help but wonder if Casey has been shown any of the photos of Caylee - - - Caylee's remains, that is....... anyone here know if that would be protocol???? The defense has the photographs and most (but I don't think ALL) of the "circumstantial evidence" and has for some time now. Thanks in advance you smart folks out there :blushing:

I've been wondering who that guy was! So he's a PI? I thought maybe he was some new lawyer on Casey's team because he sits at or right behind their table at hearings. He sits by and talks to Casey when Jose and Andrea approach the bench. Isn't that kind of weird for a PI to be doing?

Apparently he's the one who interviewed Kronk's ex-wives (I haven't watched those yet.) Kathi Belich asks him why he didn't question them under oath or do background checks on them in this video taken after last Friday's hearing. Kathi calls him Mr. Mortimer several times. It's at the very end of the video.

http://www.wftv.com/video/21935023/index.html

From what I can remember, "KidnotFinders" (i think) held the fundraiser with an exotic car up for raffle. People bought tickets but there was no car, no winner.

I think the fundraiser was a rally of some kind? Someone else will probably remember more :)

It was the now defunct Never Lose Hope Foundation that raffled the cars, there were 2 of them. Winners were never properly identified.
NLHF is also the one that D Milstead said donated the bass boat, err..... search boat named the Caylee Marie.

Regarding the sensitive photos.....I would assume an expert would be someone offering forensic analysis. Why would a PI have any need to see or have those?

It was the now defunct Never Lose Hope Foundation that raffled the cars, there were 2 of them. Winners were never properly identified.
NLHF is also the one that D Milstead said donated the bass boat, err..... search boat named the Caylee Marie.

I am recalling that part, but who was the guy everyone was "investigating" at the time who donated these cars (not Milstead)?

WHY is my head trying to remember something......thinking...thinking....

I am recalling that part, but who was the guy everyone was "investigating" at the time who donated these cars (not Milstead)?

WHY is my head trying to remember something......thinking...thinking....

A guy named Peter B. who owns exotic car and plane rental companies. Among other things. Not NLHF, but definitely associated with them.

Regarding the sensitive photos.....I would assume an expert would be someone offering forensic analysis. Why would a PI have any need to see or have those?

What an interesting thread! :)

From watching the court video, Andrea's reaction, Baez's comments and the Court Order, it looks like Mort is angling to be the GUARDIAN, and/or TRANSPORTER of these burned photos on CD-ROM, to said "experts".

Would he look at them himself on the sly? Show them to some friends that are interested? Just how ethical is this guy?

I would hope that he has them inside a small locked safe, which is inside a locked briefcase, handcuffed to his wrist. You know, like the old spy movies... :)

If these got out into the media, what kind of consequences would the defense team suffer? What kind of consequences would Mort himself suffer, if in fact he is responsible?

Ya know how them Paparazzi can be sneaky... would be worth tons of money to them, I would imagine. :(

Lots of questions, very few answers. Time to do some sleuthin'! :woohoo:

From watching the court video, Andrea's reaction, Baez's comments and the Court Order, it looks like Mort is angling to be the GUARDIAN, and/or TRANSPORTER of these burned photos on CD-ROM, to said "experts".

Would he look at them himself on the sly? Show them to some friends that are interested? Just how ethical is this guy?

I would hope that he has them inside a small locked safe, which is inside a locked briefcase, handcuffed to his wrist. You know, like the old spy movies... :)

If these got out into the media, what kind of consequences would the defense team suffer? What kind of consequences would Mort himself suffer, if in fact he is responsible?
Ya know how them Paparazzi can be sneaky... would be worth tons of money to them, I would imagine. :(

Hi Muzikman!

Sure made us proud to know you today!!!

I would be very interested in an answer to your question....maybe paste it in the RH thread and see what he says??

This guy makes me nervous. He seems a little too close. I know he works with Andrea Lyon but I feel there is a missing piece to this puzzle. I also find it interesting that his old website used to have lots of articles on it about methods (some of which seemed shady to me but I am not a PI so I don't know what is considered unethical by PI standards) but those are no longer there. Hmmmmmmmmmm You can view his old cached site at this link
http://web.archive.org/web/*/mortsmith.com

The Court Order states that Jose Baez is responsible for keeping records of duplications and maintaining the security of the CDs not Mortimer Smith. So, if Jose gave mutiple copies to Mort and told him to fly all over the country and deliver these CDs I think it would be Jose who would suffer the consequences if these pictures got released. Jose must really trust Mort.

Good work G-PI.

Service Issues, Failed to respond to complaint. One in last 3 years for the BBB.

Were there some other "investigate the investigator" sites we hit last year? For Dominic and Phlegar?

If so, gottem handy?

BBM.....yep Phlegar is the guy on E-Bay selling the JB shirt. He also has an association with racing. Cars....racing......Morts webhost having a car affiliation, something fishy here and it's not the latest haul from the S.S. Caylee Marie.

I've been wondering who that guy was! So he's a PI? I thought maybe he was some new lawyer on Casey's team because he sits at or right behind their table at hearings. He sits by and talks to Casey when Jose and Andrea approach the bench. Isn't that kind of weird for a PI to be doing?

Apparently he's the one who interviewed Kronk's ex-wives (I haven't watched those yet.) Kathi Belich asks him why he didn't question them under oath or do background checks on them in this video taken after last Friday's hearing. Kathi calls him Mr. Mortimer several times. It's at the very end of the video.

http://www.wftv.com/video/21935023/index.html

Funny. He says "I'm not going to tell you right now." to Kathi.

Dear Prudence, when you do watch the Kronk exes vids, pay attention to the HEAVY editing that was done on all of them. I have to question why? Why not release the whole videos, is there something he doesn't want us to see?

The videos LE has released have all been in full. Warts and all.

And it is Mort doing the interviewing in them. And I assume that he did the editing.

I found some papers that he has done about investigative techniques, a couple of them raise my hinky meter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back