Teacher Cuts Off 1st Grader's Braid In Front Of Class

as an internet junkie, over the years i've sent hundreds of 'comment' letters to various police chiefs, terrorists and school principals etc.

here's an email address i dug up, in case you want to make a comment to the school district.

pdrs@milwaukee.k12.wi.us

(thats the parent teacher dispute section, giving out of office reply, probably from the spam storm, but send email anyway !!)

cheers
~lwr~

I have a first grade boy. I think the best impact with any emails would be from other first grade teachers.

I'm still floored this first grade teacher did this...... now, if I were a first grade teacher and did this, I think I would hand in my resignation before they could ask me to leave.

I've been in tears calling family for help (twice in 7 years) because I need a break before I would get so frustrated I would do something like this to someone else's child. Let alone a child and in front of a child I was entrusted for 6 or so hours a day in a career I chose

It is said that God does not put more on us than we can handle and I can attest that it is true, for had this been my child, I would be sitting in prison tonight! I don't think I could wait for the law suit. This is un imaginable cruelty to that child and as a mother, no one better touch my kid's hair.

Appalling that this teacher remains in the classroom. Does anyone know what the legal ramifications would be if this child was in a mall and a stranger walked up and cut off one of her braids?

http://www./52396/teacher-cuts-students-hair/

I'm sure if another student did this to the little girl,they would be expelled in a heartbeat. This teacher needs a new profession.

Hockeymom posted something along the lines of what I was thinking. If a kid brought a cough drop or a butter knife to school they'd be gone in a flash.

My son cut a piece of his own hair off during school,
the teacher called me and she even sent the hair home.
there was note in the office about it.
I thought my school when overboard with it
i just didn't think it was that big of deal now of course if the teacher had did it i would be livid

seems this school didn't do anything this is crazy

You're right. It's battery. Assault is an act which creates a fear of battery:

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/personal_injury/assault_battery.html

By the letter of the law, I agree that it's battery. Still, as much as I disagree with what this teacher did, I am glad she was not charged with a felony. I think a misdemeanor was the appropriate "legal" charge.

That said, I hope the parents of the school raise a ruckus and ask for this teacher's removal. As you well know, I am a BIG believer in second chances, but in this instance, I'm not.

Like many parents here, I deeply understand how a first grader can make you want to scalp them. But I do NOT understand a mature grown person (a teacher, no less) doing something like this.

My son cut a piece of his own hair off during school,
the teacher called me and she even sent the hair home.
there was note in the office about it.
I thought my school when overboard with it
i just didn't think it was that big of deal now of course if the teacher had did it i would be livid

seems this school didn't do anything this is crazy

LOL - my son cut off his bangs during math once when he was in second grade. They sent a note too (but not the hair!) and gave him a stamp in his agenda. I actually thought it was funny, but he and I discussed the necessity of paying attention in class and not making mischief when bored.

By the letter of the law, I agree that it's battery. Still, as much as I disagree with what this teacher did, I am glad she was not charged with a felony. I think a misdemeanor was the appropriate "legal" charge.

She wasn't charged with a misdemeanor, though. In WI, there is a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct--but what she got was a citation for disorderly conduct. It is an ordinance violation, the same severity as a traffic ticket (e.g., no possible jail time, possible fine). The DA refused to press charges, and the police then wrote a ticket.

Also, in WI, simple battery is a misdemeanor--I can provide links if anyone wants!

This is surely assault and that teacher should lose her licence.
I would raise merry hell if that happened to my girls:furious:

badhorsie, I am afraid I have the same problem as you do regarding being heard on this subject if you know what I mean!

I am furious!

as an internet junkie, over the years i've sent hundreds of 'comment' letters to various police chiefs, terrorists and school principals etc.

here's an email address i dug up, in case you want to make a comment to the school district.

pdrs@milwaukee.k12.wi.us

(thats the parent teacher dispute section, giving out of office reply, probably from the spam storm, but send email anyway !!)

cheers
~lwr~

Thanks! I did want to comment to the school district!

This is outrageous.

I could afford $175! I would be in that classroom cutting every strand of hair off her head.

this poor little girl will be remembered and bullied by every child in that class the rest of her school years. If she were my child the kids would remember her momma too!!

Had the child cut the teachers hair she would've been in ISS and under evaluation for anger problems.

Don't all teachers get frustrated?
Poor self control in classroom= poor teacher.

I would have visited this school with my lawyer. An immediate meeting! The teacher would have been charged with battery!!!!! NOT disorderly conduct! She would be apologizing to my daughter and I would OWN the school before it was over.
This teacher needs to hit the road. She has NO business being in the classroom.

I believe that this is a HURT the child will NEVER forget! The teacher can never make this right. The school board should be recalled for not firing her on the SPOT!

I'm horrified at this teacher's actions. I have a granddaughter with the most beautiful hair - and she wears it long. No matter how much trouble it is - SHE does not want it cut. I can not imagine how she would feel if this was done to her. And by her teacher no less - someone she is supposed to trust and respect.

I too would probably be in one of those jail cells - this is not one I could let go.

Salem

Salem, I wish you were in my district. Could have used your 'fight' many times.

In this situation, I've not seen a photo of the child. In my head, I'm picturing a 'braid' that is hanging into the eyes of the child. In my head, the child is continually pushing the braid out of her eyes and the teacher reaches her 'wit's end' and cuts the braid off.

I'm thinking of the braid as a disturbance and it still doesn't make it okay for the teacher to harm a hair on this child's head? With the long haired boys of the 70's and again today, I've never heard of a teacher trimming their bangs up above their eyes? So why was this little one's braid cut off?

Salem, I wish you were in my district. Could have used your 'fight' many times.

In this situation, I've not seen a photo of the child. In my head, I'm picturing a 'braid' that is hanging into the eyes of the child. In my head, the child is continually pushing the braid out of her eyes and the teacher reaches her 'wit's end' and cuts the braid off.

I'm thinking of the braid as a disturbance and it still doesn't make it okay for the teacher to harm a hair on this child's head? With the long haired boys of the 70's and again today, I've never heard of a teacher trimming their bangs up above their eyes? So why was this little one's braid cut off?

LAMYA CAMMON

teacher-cuts-students-hair.jpg

LAMYA CAMMON

teacher-cuts-students-hair.jpg

Thank you so much for the photo(s). Lamya is adorable!

I'm not seeing anything objectionable about the braids in the photo(s).

I see the teacher as a brute.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$