WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the Dark - Wow!! That's great!! Can you post the link or give info? I am almost caught up with the whole thread. I haven't finished Thread 2 or 3 yet, but am done with the others. You've been here from day 1. I admire your tenacity. :woohoo:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1415dmukr.html

- 6'2"
- Hazel eyes
- Dark hair

Nedelyko's appearance could have changed drastically in a 7 year period, if he was still alive after 1994. His dentals are open to speculation though. Wasn't it said on here that you can't always rely on photos?

I think it's a definite possibility. The chin and cheekbones match and the ears look like they don't have lobes. I agree about photos. For example, his hair looks light in this photo to me and yet it is described as dark. I read in the thread that you had submitted a name to Schumate and he never responded. Was it this man or someone else? How can you tell if they have DNA for him? I wonder if there's a way for LE to check ICE records to see if he entered the country. I know that pre-9/11 we did not always follow through on folks who entered the country.

I think it's a definite possibility. The chin and cheekbones match and the ears look like they don't have lobes. I agree about photos. For example, his hair looks light in this photo to me and yet it is described as dark. I read in the thread that you had submitted a name to Schumate and he never responded. Was it this man or someone else? How can you tell if they have DNA for him? I wonder if there's a way for LE to check ICE records to see if he entered the country. I know that pre-9/11 we did not always follow through on folks who entered the country.

It's a black and white photo, so it's hard to tell if his hair is lighter or if that's background light

Same name and DOB, says he passed away in 1998...
:waitasec:

http://tiny.cc/b9AnT

Yeah, I was wondering if he either took off or left suicide note in Canada in 1998, went to Montana for a couple of years, but the family in Canada just declared him dead? It doesn't help with no picture, either.

What's the feeling here that because of his alias at the motel that he could have had more than 1 alias getting him to Amanda Park? Do you think that if he were in the motel in ID that he was under a literary name there as well? Was this mentioned before?

Out of the dark: Thanks for clarifying re: Abramovitz. I'm still not through the whole thread, but I am struck by all of the amazing work you all have done! I saw that rmf (I believe) did some fascinating research on native americans and suicide, particularly the dineh. Given their avoidance of discussing suicide, I wonder if that explains why Lyle was not reported missing (if, in fact, he is native american). Has anyone contacted the tribal police? They are typically tribal members and so might take more of an interest in finding answers. They obviously would have connections within the various tribes and could ask around to try to ID Lyle. I would be happy to do this if it hasn't already been done.
I also think Lyle could be mediterranean, European or a Heinz 57. He looks remarkably like a friend of mine from Morocco. I don't think we should rule out any possibility and proceed with an open mind.
I would just echo others who have posted and caution against relying too much on photos to ID him. People can look very different in photos. I would also note that it is difficult to rely on skin tone after death. We have very different coloring when our blood is no longer flowing!

I think he's a Heinz 57... I'm part Kickapoo (1/16), and you can see way more "indian" in me than my husband who has more Colville in him (1/4). I definitely see Native American features, though, and his height, although sounds sterotyped, gives me reason to think possibly east of WA. And you are right about skin color.... I'm a pretty pale but can tan really well. My father has olive skin, though, even without the sun. He has black hair and brown eyes. If I were out of the sun all summer, I'd remain pale. I have dark brown hair and hazel eyes. My eyes were originally brown but have changed to hazel, and I wonder if "Lyle's" did too.

I definitely believe that we shouldn't rule out ANY possibility. I have strictly been working on bone structure and height more than anything.

What's the feeling here that because of his alias at the motel that he could have had more than 1 alias getting him to Amanda Park? Do you think that if he were in the motel in ID that he was under a literary name there as well? Was this mentioned before?

I never thought of that! Great idea! i wonder if those records still exist. I know coldcaseman sent his picture to the hotel to see if anyone recognized him and no one did. But that doesn't mean he wasn't there. People may not have paid much attention to him.

I also agree with you about his nationality. My dad and his brother look completely different. My uncle is dark complected (swarthy, really) with black hair and brown eyes. My dad has dark blonde hair with blue eyes. You can't always tell about people. We are all so mixed now in America that lots of people probably have lots of different ethnicities and races in their family history.

What do you think about sending his picture to the tribal police in other parts of the country?

His family could be looking for him, but he may be one of the missing people who has not been put in the databases. Or he could be estranged from his family, quit his job and said he was moving and in that way, ensured no one would be looking for him.

It is such a sad case. I would like to give some peace to his family. Even if they were estranged, they have to be wondering and worrying about him.

Yeah, I was wondering if he either took off or left suicide note in Canada in 1998, went to Montana for a couple of years, but the family in Canada just declared him dead? It doesn't help with no picture, either.

I wonder if we could contact the RCMP to find out if his body was ever found. Then we'd at least know if he's a possibility.

:twocents:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1415dmukr.html

- 6'2"
- Hazel eyes
- Dark hair

Nedelyko's appearance could have changed drastically in a 7 year period, if he was still alive after 1994. His dentals are open to speculation though. Wasn't it said on here that you can't always rely on photos?

I don't see it. "Lyle" has very sharp, defined and straight features, he's very handsome, has quite a square face. This guy (Nedelyko), while very handsome too, looks very different, his long and rounded chin to start with. His face is not at all like Lyle's, has not got the same defined features. Unless he took steroids after this picture? I just can't see it at all. And while his page at Doe says he had dark hair, it's very clearly blonde.
(They have been wrong before)

About Hotomanie, that is what I thought when I found the page: maybe he was declared dead, but no body had been found?

I just came across this guy.

Eric Barbree
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barbree_eric.html

The picture isn't great, but he seems to have that square jaw and broad chin of Lyle. Also, the height, coloring, hairline etc are right on. Can't tell about the ears. It is suspected he drowned, but what if he wanted to disappear? Faking a drowning would not be that hard to do: just leave items on the beach and walk away from your life. Then if you commit suicide later, your family never has to know.

What do you all think? Has he been ruled out?

I just came across this guy.

Eric Barbree
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barbree_eric.html

The picture isn't great, but he seems to have that square jaw and broad chin of Lyle. Also, the height, coloring, hairline etc are right on. Can't tell about the ears. It is suspected he drowned, but what if he wanted to disappear? Faking a drowning would not be that hard to do: just leave items on the beach and walk away from your life. Then if you commit suicide later, your family never has to know.

What do you all think? Has he been ruled out?

Huh..... sure would be intriguing to see more pics of him. It looks like he's got the perfect teeth too!

I wonder how we could follow up on this? It does sound promising.

On his missing person page, there should be a contact number as well. Just call and ask. "Was he ever declared dead by the family because this web page says he's dead, but you say he's still missing, so what is it?" These people don't even make sure pictures of the missing are up, which is so irritating. There's an even worse one, I can't remember right now where, but there is a totally stupid Missing Persons page belonging to a sheriff's office where only heights of the missing are listed, I'm not kidding you.

In regards to his writing, my writing changes from block style teachery writing to connected print depending how much of a hurry I'm in.

Hi, this is my first post here on the board. I have looked at the specific thread for a few years now as a lurker and decided to join because I wanted to make a suggestion for Coldcaseman.

Lyle's ethnicity to me looks to be of some sort of Native ancestry. The lowest blood content to be federally recognized is 1/8 to register with a federally recognized tribe. I dont know if you have explored this route yet, although I have read in the past forum messages that several posters have suggested it. My aunt and uncle were members of the Ojibwe in Minnesota. They were beneficiaies of individual indian money accounts, which are regulated and administered by the government. The federal government is preparing to settle a major lawsuit now for the misappropriation of these funds. Not all Native Americans receive these funds, the legislation has been amended several times, in 1934 and in 1994. But, if you are of Native Ancestry and your family members were beneficiaries at some point and they died and their assests were probated, there is a good chance perhaps he was a beneficiary of some form of these monies.

If he was indeed from Idaho, there are only four federally recognized tribes in that state versus 29 in Washington State. When an IIM Account has been inactive for 5 years, the account is turned over by the tribe to the Office of the Special Trustee (OST) at the Federal Department of the Interior (DOI), which manages these accounts. Their job is to find these beneficiaries to give them their money, OR to find their decendants to probate the accounts to them. They do a very poor job of this, hence the lawsuit that is getting ready to be settled.

I aided in probating my Aunt and Uncles accounts. They had been deceased for many years. However, their last names were so unusual, not to mention the OST has the vitals information in their files, that if any employee at OST had entered it into the Social Security Death Index (SSDI), they would have found that they both had died years ago.

If it is possible for you to work with either the Tribes or the OST, I would encourage it. They might be able to provide you with lists that were inactive that were turned in by September 30, 2006 from a specific Tribe, for the time frame of his suicide. September 30 is the processing date for accounts that are 5 years inactive yearly. If you could run the names through the SSDI, you could narrow your search by ruling out the deceased, you could then narrow your search again by looking for males 20 to 30 year olds who have not claimed their accounts. It would give you some names and new leads to follow up on.

The other possiblity is that if he had an account, and it's still active, someone is using his benefits illegally, and perhaps that's why no one has reported him missing.

If any of you have Native American ancestry and want to search through the names list at the DOI, the link is as follows: www.doi.gov/ost

It is a free search, I think if you google it though, there are some online places that charge a fee, which is wrong.

If you want to search for a name in the social security death index, then go to www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ and click on the Social Security Death Index. This is also a free search, and it is updated frequently.

I hope that this helps in some form. I would really like Lyle Stevik to have a real name someday.

i'm perplexed as to why we haven't heard from coldcaseman. i hope he is ok. i also wonder if this case is now resolved...

thoughts anyone?

Well, Lyle still isn't on NamUs and the detective never wrote back about my suggestion to add him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks