NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The denial going on here is appalling and reaffirms my view that he could not reconcile being gay and dealing with his LDS family.

Even if there was some joking going on with his college buddies, the other college guys are probably all married now leaving only Steven in the single category. Come on people, do the math.

I see the critical event as having occurred in the summer of 2008, when he left his job in SLC for the unknown in St. George. In this economy, who would leave a job only because he did not like to work nights? It's not like he had a wife and children to tend to.

2008 was the height of the anti-gay Mormon funded Prop 8 campaign in California. Who knows what poor Steven had to listen to in his LDS community. I don't blame him for wanting an out. His voluntary departure in December was just the culmination of a thought process started before he left his job and moved to St. George.

The denial going on here is appalling and reaffirms my view that he could not reconcile being gay and dealing with his LDS family.

Even if there was some joking going on with his college buddies, the other college guys are probably all married now leaving only Steven in the single category. Come on people, do the math.

I see the critical event as having occurred in the summer of 2008, when he left his job in SLC for the unknown in St. George. In this economy, who would leave a job only because he did not like to work nights? It's not like he had a wife and children to tend to.

2008 was the height of the anti-gay Mormon funded Prop 8 campaign in California. Who knows what poor Steven had to listen to in his LDS community. I don't blame him for wanting an out. His voluntary departure in December was just the culmination of a thought process started before he left his job and moved to St. George.

We all have our opinions. Your opinion is that he is gay and he ran off to avoid the backlash from his family, BUT, we do not have ANY proof that he is gay. You state it as if you KNOW he is.

Again, I hope you're right. I hope he's alive and happy somewhere. But how would you feel if he WASN'T gay and something terrible happened to him? I don't know. I just don't like that you won't accept anyone's opinion but your own and then say that we are in denial.

MOO

My bold and italics-I do not see any denial going on. Unless you can link a source that has been confirmed as being generated by Steven and or his family that indicates he was an oppressed gay man who ran away to pursue his desired lifestyle, we can continue to welcome alternative theories as to what happened. :)

Sin was too simplistic-I did read about the connection to Cain etc...

OK, Believe is back on topic now-his poor family is right!!! I wonder if they have taken their plea to the airways in Vegas??

Searching around on the Internet, the only news reports I can find about Steven have come out of Utah - nothing in Nevada. I did see that the Nevada Center for Missing Loved Ones has searched for Steven in the Sun City Anthem area but, again, that was reported on SouthernUtah.com. It also appears that the St. George PD is quite heavily involved in the investigation, though the Henderson PD and LV Metro have also been searching.

Steven also has ties to the Amarillo, TX area, having graduated from Amarillo H.S. in 1998.

I have to catch myself from time to time. I did not mean to go off on an anti-Mormon tirade; just trying to put this disappearance in context.

Besides the scenario I laid out, can anyone else offer an explanation as to why Steven would leave a full time job in this crappy economy and move to St. George where he had no job lined up?

Also, I wonder if the family or LE ever questioned his roommates about his comings and goings while he was there in St. George.

My bold and italics-I do not see any denial going on. Unless you can link a source that has been confirmed as being generated by Steven and or his family that indicates he was an oppressed gay man who ran away to pursue his desired lifestyle, we can continue to welcome alternative theories as to what happened. :)

ITA, believe09. While I agree that it's a viable theory, we certainly have no proof, whatsoever, that this man is gay nor that that is tied to why he is missing. If that is the reason for him up and leaving his family, it was obviously a huge burden for him and I don't believe it's our place to be "outing" him on the Internet with no proof that he's gay.

The fact is, this man is missing and his family is concerned. He needs to be found.

I have to catch myself from time to time. I did not mean to go off on an anti-Mormon tirade; just trying to put this disappearance in context.

Besides the scenario I laid out, can anyone else offer an explanation as to why Steven would leave a full time job in this crappy economy and move to St. George where he had no job lined up?

Also, I wonder if the family or LE ever questioned his roommates about his comings and goings while he was there in St. George.

I'm not sure we should read too much into the move. It could be something as simple as the weather - which is much milder in St. George than in Bountiful. It's still 2 hours away from Vegas and I should think if he wanted to be in Vegas, he could have moved here!

http://www.cottonwood20b.150m.com/interest.htm

try looking at this link first, then follow the link to his name. I had to do it a couple of times, but it is well worth the few extra steps.

I can't explain about the friends but it seems at least there was a circle of people who knew he was gay and struggling with it.

JMO but I think that entire website is written tongue firmly in cheek. He very well could be gay, but I wouldn't take the website as the proof.

JMO but I think that entire website is written tongue firmly in cheek. He very well could be gay, but I wouldn't take the website as the proof.

I am with you Malini. I looked over all of the linking pages. I am guessing all of the pages were made by one of the roommates - TU/JU wrote them in my opinion. There were sarcastic comments written about each of the guys in the "CW20" except for him. His did say he was most likely to "put up a gay website about his roommates."

We also have to keep in mind that this was written years ago. Steven is 30 years old now. This was written when he was a Sophmore in College - which is typically around 19 or 20 years old. Things have changed since then.

From what I can tell, there were six people listed on that site. Although, "gay" jokes were made about almost all. Half of them are now married with children (TU, PT and RW). Two of them I have not found details on yet. So, that blows the theory that if something was written about them being gay it "must be true".

JMO

I seriously doubt Steven moved to St. George for the weather. If it was warmer weather he wanted he could have moved to Tucson Arizona, after all he was not moving on account of a job offer.

In any event, people are free to believe what they wish to believe, irrespective of the context in which certain events occurred. I am of the firm belief that if people plan to disappear, the idea comes into their heads long before they actually bolt out the door and most take certain steps in furtherance of that plan.

I repeat, Steven's stated reason for leaving a job in this terrible economy was that he did not like to work nights, an odd rationale for a single guy with no children. So you gain a little seniority and get your hours changed. Better yet, you look for another full time job with better hours. But no, he moves away from his family to almost the most southern point in Utah without a job offer. This is the event the family should be questioning, not the end result the disappearance.

There might have been more serious questions had that homeowner's security camera not captured images of Steven, alone, and cleanly dressed, deliberately walking away from his car. This was thus not a carjacking and no one else was involved. This was not a camping excursion gone awry. He was not carrying any window washing equipment so he was not there to do a job.

I still say the family, if they really want to see him again, should make a public appeal on Vegas area television telling their son that he is loved and missed by those who love him and that he is welcome home regardless of the reasons he left. If he met with foul play then he will not hear the message. if he is alive and well he just might pick up the phone and call. What is the harm in making the appeal?

If they have religious or moral objections to what I have posted earlier here, they are free to hold them as the last time I checked this was still a free country. If that is why they would refuse the entertain making such an appeal, then it would not surprise me if they do not hear back from him.

There are a lot of reasons why people change jobs and they may not always make sense to outsiders.

Maybe he absolutely couldn't stand the people he worked with and since he was unattached and not responsible for anyone else he felt free to make a change. Maybe he wanted to start fresh in a new area but didn't want to leave the state. Maybe he felt he couldn't be involved in a romantic relationship because he had to work nights so was really motivated to find work during the day. There are more possibilities, I just don't think we can make assumptions without more facts.

I do admit the window washing business sounds shaky but maybe he had a really strong desire to be his own boss and work outside. Webrocket, you could be right, but without more info, I can't build a theory about his job change and relocation. JMO

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-family-search-for-missing-utah-man-81060752.html

Utah resident Steven Koecher made plans to spend Christmas with his parents. Now, they plan on searching for him in the Las Vegas Valley this weekend.

The Koechers haven't spoken to their 30-year-old son since early- to mid-December. They believe he was last seen on a video-surveillance system in a Sun City Anthem neighborhood about noon on Dec. 13.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=162ign2...X=2/SIG=10s1spmu7/*http://www.nevadapreps.com
b

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-family-search-for-missing-utah-man-81060752.html

Utah resident Steven Koecher made plans to spend Christmas with his parents. Now, they plan on searching for him in the Las Vegas Valley this weekend.

The Koechers haven't spoken to their 30-year-old son since early- to mid-December. They believe he was last seen on a video-surveillance system in a Sun City Anthem neighborhood about noon on Dec. 13.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=162ign2...X=2/SIG=10s1spmu7/*http://www.nevadapreps.com
b

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

the one and only comment to this story is that someone said they think they may have seen him on a local bus route. No way to know if that was true, but I don't know why the LV media was not involved sooner.

Hey Everyone,
This is KC Naegle, Steven's cousin. I was so excited to see a group that looked like they were using the internet to find answers, but this has spiraled into nothing but speculation. If you want to speculate, fine. Come up with a scenario then try and prove or disprove it. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time and upsetting people.
I'd love to be a resource for you all here and answer questions and straighten out some of the facts you have wrong, but that would all be useless if this is just going to turn into an argument.

Hey Everyone,
This is KC Naegle, Steven's cousin. I was so excited to see a group that looked like they were using the internet to find answers, but this has spiraled into nothing but speculation. If you want to speculate, fine. Come up with a scenario then try and prove or disprove it. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time and upsetting people.
I'd love to be a resource for you all here and answer questions and straighten out some of the facts you have wrong, but that would all be useless if this is just going to turn into an argument.

Welcome Naegle. We would very much appreciate any insights you can give us about Steven. Can you tell us anything about the searches that are planned in Vegas this weekend?

Hey Everyone,

Ok here are my $64,000 questions.

One, did it strike anyone in the family as odd that he left a full time job in or around SLC to move to St. George where he had no job lined up?

Two, did anyone ever ask his roommates about his associations, travels, while he was in St. George?

Hey Everyone,

Welcome, Naegle. I would welcome some additional facts. The video certainly makes it look like he walked away. Does the family feel that or do they feel there is foul play?

Did Steven keep a calendar or schedule that indicates where he was the last few days before he disappeared and maybe anything he had scheduled for the immediate future?

Naegle - another thing. I assume when Steven moved to St. George he took with him important papers including his birth certificate and maybe even his college diploma. Did the family inventory his room in St. George and are these papers missing?

The reason I ask is that these are not the types of documents he would need if he was taking a road trip to the Vegas area looking for new window washing clients. They are things he would need down the road if he was ever going to look for work at another job working for a company.

No, we didn't find it odd that he moved to St George. Here's why: Steven is a fairly active guy. I know he didn't like working nights because he had to sleep during the day which made him miss a lot of activities with his friends. Steven told his mother that he was getting tired of all the inversion we get during the winter so he wanted to move to a nice winter climate. (please see current SL weather reports) We are a very close family and St George is the closest city with the kind of climate that he was looking for.

The search this weekend is very unofficial. A group of Las Vegas locals got together to drive around the Blackfoot Mountains (that may not be the exact name of the mountain range sorry). Steven's parents are also in the area talking to the media.

Honestly, we have no speculations worth mentioning right now. We as a family sit around and try to run with a theory just to see where it leads, but nothing ever fits with all the clues. And I promise we've talked about everything that's been mentioned on this thread, but none of it fits.

I'd like to point out that he was not in Henderson on a job for window washing, Christmas decorating or even publicizing the business. His boss has confirmed that for us and no one in the neighborhood had a copy of Steven's flyers.

I don't know about the documents. I'll check and get back to you all. Also, Steven wasn't a big techie and he didn't have internet access at his appartment so we didn't find any sort of calendar.

No, we didn't find it odd that he moved to St George. Here's why: Steven is a fairly active guy. I know he didn't like working nights because he had to sleep during the day which made him miss a lot of activities with his friends. Steven told his mother that he was getting tired of all the inversion we get during the winter so he wanted to move to a nice winter climate. (please see current SL weather reports) We are a very close family and St George is the closest city with the kind of climate that he was looking for.

[edited out]

I'd like to point out that he was not in Henderson on a job for window washing, Christmas decorating or even publicizing the business. His boss has confirmed that for us and no one in the neighborhood had a copy of Steven's flyers.

I don't know about the documents. I'll check and get back to you all. Also, Steven wasn't a big techie and he didn't have internet access at his appartment so we didn't find any sort of calendar.

Thanks for the info Naegle. I did not think he went there for work and said as much very early on.

However, something you said does not make sense to me and maybe it's just me. He did not like sleeping days because he missed out on being with friends yet by moving to St. George he eliminated the opportunities to be with the very friends he said his night job kept him from.

Can you shed any light on that contradiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie