NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what youre saying about sticking to facts but at this point the facts say he was up to something he wanted to keep under wraps. Sight seeing isn't secret. Which leaves us to speculate a bit. Maybe filling in gaps with hypothetical situations will show us what is possible and what isnt. There can't be THAT many scenarios that fit the data we already have without stretching too much.

Im just trying to see how northern NV and UT tie into missing in Henderson. The fact that all were pretty hush hush makes me thing theyre related.

Also, could anyone mention where Greg Webb is from?

I think it will be helpful to get that timeline firmed up.

Also maybe worth noting: Just did a search and the average temp for December nights was 29.5 degrees. Ive slept in a car at freezing temps before in a good sleeping bag. Still cold.

You can get accurate weather history, rather than "averages", through Weather Underground.

Here's 12 Dec 2009, in Henderson/Las Vegas, NV....just in case we want to imagine him sleeping in his car that night:
http://snurl.com/u33lb

I understand what youre saying about sticking to facts but at this point the facts say he was up to something he wanted to keep under wraps. Sight seeing isn't secret. Which leaves us to speculate a bit. Maybe filling in gaps with hypothetical situations will show us what is possible and what isnt. There can't be THAT many scenarios that fit the data we already have without stretching too much.

Im just trying to see how northern NV and UT tie into missing in Henderson. The fact that all were pretty hush hush makes me thing theyre related.

Also, could anyone mention where Greg Webb is from?

Originally from, or where he lived? Apparently, he was in the same St George singles ward as Steven, since they had the same bishop.

I don't think the facts tell us anything...which is why this is such a hair-burner. He walked away...in the direction of what...the mountains? He was hesitating about something, and may have thought of it for awhile. Driving aimlessly is a sign. Wanting to see someone he remembered from the past, but too shy to keep up with the present truth. If I were to speculate, I'd guess he drove his car off the busy parkway, left it, walked to the mountains, and took his own life.

BUT...I don't want that to be true, so I'm trying to figure out little facts that will lead to a different conclusion. I sense many others here, feel the same.

Would someone please post a summary of the questions asked of me today? I don't have a lot of time tonight. Thanks.

It's only 235 from SLC to Ruby Valley. That's not a day's drive...at least to someone who regularly drives a lot. Maybe he was a sight-seer?

x2. 470 Miles. 9 hours of driving assuming he was in SLC. $42 bucks for a random trip for a guy a grand in the hole.

There is something more to that trip to Ruby Valley. I cant shake that thought. Im not even saying its some nefarious part of the plot. But it is related, I am sure.

Layt, I just read back through a lot of our latest posts and I hope it doesnt feel like Im trying to shut you down on any of your points. Not my intention. Just bouncing ideas back and forth.

I'm new but have been following this for several days. Here are my thoughts.

I totally believe that Steven had been to the location where his car was found before. It's off the beaten path, he parked where there were no houses, no directions were found in his car, as he walked it appears he was not looking at directions, his surroundings, etc.

So that leads me to believe that he was not telling his family everything about what was going on. But really, who does? I have lots of things I don't tell even my husband. I'm just a very private person. So that makes me think that something happened or started when he was living in Salt Lake. Does the family REALLY know what made him quit his job and move? I think his previous co-workers and friends need to be interviewed. Maybe they already have.

Also, there has to be some reason that he went to see AM. Was anyone in that area interviewed to see if they saw him or saw anything? I really don't believe he drove all the way there to see her. He must have gone nearby for some reason and then decided to drop by to see if she was there. Is the family sure all leads have been pursued in that area?

Obviously, Steven expected to be heading home after his meeting that Sunday. Did he often miss church? If not, it must have been really important. Also, unless Watts is lying, Steven was not acting out of character at all that day on the phone or else Watts would have asked what he was doing there. So I think he walked into something not knowing his life was about to totally change.

It also seems to me that if Steven wanted to walk away from his life and disappear for whatever reason (gay, older woman, etc) he could have done so without leaving his family in the dark. He wasn't married, dating anyone seriously, etc so he wouldn't have cared about "losing" his family. If they didn't support him in his choices, he would have "lost" them anyways. And no one planning to just walk away, would buy a Christmas gift for his brother. If you are going to walk away, that wouldn't even be something you cared about - at least in my opinion.

I would spend some time looking further into his history, even going as far back as a couple of years or more.

But my biggest suggestion is this: hire a psychic/medium. I know lots of people don't believe in them but I do. Chip Coffey is one of my favorites. Here is a link to his site: http://www.chipcoffey.com/ If anything, he could at least refer you to someone reputable in the Las Vegas/St. George area. Lots of leads have been found using psychic/mediums! It might get things moving again.

So that is my looooong two cents.

Originally from, or where he lived? Apparently, he was in the same St George singles ward as Steven, since they had the same bishop.

I don't think the facts tell us anything...which is why this is such a hair-burner. He walked away...in the direction of what...the mountains? He was hesitating about something, and may have thought of it for awhile. Driving aimlessly is a sign. Wanting to see someone he remembered from the past, but too shy to keep up with the present truth. If I were to speculate, I'd guess he drove his car off the busy parkway, left it, walked to the mountains, and took his own life.

BUT...I don't want that to be true, so I'm trying to figure out little facts that will lead to a different conclusion. I sense many others here, feel the same.

I think if Steven had wanted to take his life he would have taken it in a place more familar than some random mountainside after a 4 day, 2000 mile trip circuitously through 2 states. My .02

Naegle,
Im pressed for time myself so Ill summarize questions I specifically asked or want to ask.

1. What were the totals for on the transactions for gas?
2. Where is Webb from? OR how long has he lived in Utah. (not St. George specifically. Utah in general.)
3. What kind of coats were found. Were they different sizes? Were they odd colors for a man to be wearing? Pink, teal, etc? ANY info on these coats is helpful.
4. Did Steven ever work for or spend extended periods of time working at AnneMarie's families ranch?
5. Does he speak any other languages, to your knowledge, besides Portuguese and English?

Those questions have been bugging me for the entire day.

I have his resume that he sent me in November. The SLC Trib is listed.

Thanks Tom. Also, welcome. It's nice to see some of his friends on here. That leads me to believe that maybe Steven never finished updating the Linked In information. I know when I filled mine out it took forever and I had to keep digging out dates, etc.

Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Would someone please post a summary of the questions asked of me today? I don't have a lot of time tonight. Thanks.

Most of our discussion today, has centered on building a detailed timeline. That seems to be the very most important thing. Your start is good, but without times and locations, it's kinda hard to trace his route.

Are there records/receipts available, for the 7-10 days before he disappeared?
Any receipts in the car, however meaningless they'd seem?

What date/time/address is on the Mesquite, NV gas receipt?

Does anyone know his route to Ruby Valley, NV?
Can we assume he came back from there, through SLC and then St George (since he stopped for gas in Springville?)

Is there any chance he went to SLC to see Annemarie before he returned from the Ruby Valley trip? Did they have a deep, previous relationship?

Just lots of little details....it'll take all weekend. ;)

Thank you!

x2. 470 Miles. 9 hours of driving assuming he was in SLC. $42 bucks for a random trip for a guy a grand in the hole.

There is something more to that trip to Ruby Valley. I cant shake that thought. Im not even saying its some nefarious part of the plot. But it is related, I am sure.

Layt, I just read back through a lot of our latest posts and I hope it doesnt feel like Im trying to shut you down on any of your points. Not my intention. Just bouncing ideas back and forth.

I was going to say the same exact thing. You only get answers, when you ask questions....and we're both full of 'em. I think that's a good thing.

I totally believe that Steven had been to the location where his car was found before. It's off the beaten path, he parked where there were no houses, no directions were found in his car, as he walked it appears he was not looking at directions, his surroundings, etc.

So that leads me to believe that he was not telling his family everything about what was going on. But really, who does? I have lots of things I don't tell even my husband. I'm just a very private person. So that makes me think that something happened or started when he was living in Salt Lake. Does the family REALLY know what made him quit his job and move? I think his previous co-workers and friends need to be interviewed. Maybe they already have.

Also, there has to be some reason that he went to see AM. Was anyone in that area interviewed to see if they saw him or saw anything? I really don't believe he drove all the way there to see her. He must have gone nearby for some reason and then decided to drop by to see if she was there. Is the family sure all leads have been pursued in that area?

Obviously, Steven expected to be heading home after his meeting that Sunday. Did he often miss church? If not, it must have been really important. Also, unless Watts is lying, Steven was not acting out of character at all that day on the phone or else Watts would have asked what he was doing there. So I think he walked into something not knowing his life was about to totally change.

It also seems to me that if Steven wanted to walk away from his life and disappear for whatever reason (gay, older woman, etc) he could have done so without leaving his family in the dark. He wasn't married, dating anyone seriously, etc so he wouldn't have cared about "losing" his family. If they didn't support him in his choices, he would have "lost" them anyways. And no one planning to just walk away, would buy a Christmas gift for his brother. If you are going to walk away, that wouldn't even be something you cared about - at least in my opinion.

I would spend some time looking further into his history, even going as far back as a couple of years or more.

But my biggest suggestion is this: hire a psychic/medium. I know lots of people don't believe in them but I do. Chip Coffey is one of my favorites. Here is a link to his site: http://www.chipcoffey.com/ If anything, he could at least refer you to someone reputable in the Las Vegas/St. George area. Lots of leads have been found using psychic/mediums! It might get things moving again.

Thank you for your time and your opinion. I think there is a lot in what you have written...I am not a fan of psychics and have never encountered a case where there was anything of value added by one that had not already been uncovered before. JMO. But the rest of what you wrote resonated with me fwiw.

My feeling in this case is that there is something being left unsaid that just might help help direct some of the speculation. Again, JMO.

Hi sallysueannie and welcome to the discussion!

You have some very good points. I realize that the Annemarie part of this story doesn't necessarily fit with the Henderson part. But I do believe there is some type of connection. If he had gone there specifically to pay her a visit, it would make sense that he call ahead of time. Obviously, he didn't do that or he would have known she didn't live there anymore. This trip is far more baffling to me that his trip to Henderson.

I'm really, really trying to keep an open mind about all of the possibilities here. But I have to admit that I favor the scenarios that would mean that Steven is alive somewhere. Can't help it.

There are a number of things that we do know for certain that make it seem unlikely that he just walked away. But none of that is a dealbreaker for me, having seen other cases where far stranger things have happened. It's possible that he had been planning it for a while and something occurred that forced him to move up his plan. OR he specifically wanted it to look like he didn't just walk away. We just don't know.

I also want to welcome stillLooking to the board and thank her for her valuable insights earlier today. The ex-roommate thing is a little unsettling. I hope LE is all over that angle!

You also mentioned the possibility of Steven having maintained some relationships from his mission in Brazil. I had thought about this too. Perhaps Naegle can weigh in on that???

I realize that the Annemarie part of this story doesn't necessarily fit with the Henderson part. But I do believe there is some type of connection. If he had gone there specifically to pay her a visit, it would make sense that he call ahead of time. Obviously, he didn't do that or he would have known she didn't live there anymore. This trip is far more baffling to me that his trip to Henderson.

I think you're right. He didn't go there to see AnneMarie.
Naegle told us that a few years ago, he spent a weekend at the ranch.
He mentioned Sacramento (offhandedly?).
Had he been there before?

I think he was revisiting a pleasant memory, more than a specific person.

Snipped for content
My feeling in this case is that there is something being left unsaid that just might help direct some of the speculation. Again, JMO.

Hi Believe. I am feeling the same way. I wasn't able to participate in the discussion today because my other life took over. But, even if I had the time, I am not sure where to continue. I too feel like things are being left out, or we are missing key facts. The only other thought I could come up with today that I do not believe has been discussed, is what if Steven was/is running AWAY from something or someone.

Could he have been naive and gotten involved with something that he shouldn't have and is now in over his head. Could he now be scared for his life and or his loved ones? Maybe something happened on the 12th that caused him to hurry home , take 20 minutes to pack up what he would need "right now" and took off into the night.

Can someone refresh my memory? How close is the nearest bus stop to where that car was parked?

Ya know.....the more I think about it, the more it bothers me that Steven's car was parked there for days before it was reported/found. That's weird - particularly in a community where there's an HOA. It was parked on the street, right? That's a huge no-no in most, if not all, HOA communities. Also - and I DON'T want to generalize or stereotype here - but older, retired folks are usually more vigilant about things like that. Heck, I called the cops a couple years ago because a guy parked his car in front of my house and got into another car and drove off. He wasn't from around the hood and it just didn't sit right with me.

I think you're right. He didn't go there to see AnneMarie.
Naegle told us that a few years ago, he spent a weekend at the ranch.
He mentioned Sacramento (offhandedly?).
Had he been there before?

I think he was revisiting a pleasant memory, more than a specific person.

But WHY was he that far away from home? If you're down on your luck and don't have a lot of $$$, why in the world would you take a long road trip, alone and to visit someone who doesn't even live there anymore?

A new news story just popped up:
http://www.kcsg.com/news/local/81609012.html

A psychologist told the family it doesn't look like a suicide, and they believe no one would "want to try and hurt him". So...the operative theory is purposeful disappearance and he'll be home soon.
I dunno about that; even the Runaway Bride couldn't stay away for five days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford