IN - Tyler Shanabarger, 7 mos, suffocated, Johnson County, 19 June 1999

Sherry67

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here remembers a case from some years ago about an Indiana ( I'm pretty sure ) guy who became so enraged when his girlfriend (wife maybe?) refused to go to his father's funeral, that he plotted to get her pregnant, have her bond with the child and then after about 9 months he smothered the child to get even with her? It was such an outrageous crime, sick to the core. I never heard whatever happened to this guy. Does anyone know?

Sherry67

I think the mother's name was Amy Parsons. I think they were married. It was a baby boy.

I'll see what I can find on Google.

Okay... I can't do a link because the link I found has the 'F' word in it.

Anyway, the man's name was Ronald Shanabarger. The mother's name was as I posted above.

It did happen in Indiana. The baby boy was 7 months old, and was suffocated by plastic wrap wrapped around his head.

Looks like it happened (or maybe just was written about) 30-may-2002.

They were not married at the time of his father's funeral, it seems he married her and got her pregnant AFTER the funeral, as part of his sick plot.

I will try to 'Google' using the baby's father's name to see what I can find.

This is one of the most despicable cases I have ever come across.

omg I never heard about this case. I wonder where Amy is now? Poor little boy.

Good Lord. That is horrid! I have never heard of this case. Just when I think I've heard the worst thing one person can do to another, I hear something like this.

Thankfully, though, the same is true about the wonderful things that one person can do for another.

thanks everyone. I wondered whatever happenend to that animal. disgusting.

You know what its one thing to have come up with the sick plot while he was grief stricken about the death of his father, but its a whole other story when he could raise this precious child for 7 months and then go ahead with the plan. He is truly a monster and obivously nuts.

I never heard of this case either, and I am truly in shock. Its hard to imagine a human this depraved.

I never heard of this case either and it's so hard to understand or believe there are such animals as this man roaming the streets before they explode. Sorry to hear he wasn't afforded the death penalty. How horrid.

"Prosecutor Lance Hamner: "It's just so bizarre, it's hard to really comprehend the facts. It's the most bizarre case that I've ever had any dealings with and probably the most bizarre motive I've ever heard of."

This case just caught my attention, I had not heard of it either until now.
I do not understand how someone could plot this when he was grieving for his own father, then have a baby and murder him.
It's just beyond words............

I had never heard of this case either, until Sherry67 started the thread asking if anyone remembered it... and then I started sleuthing (a.k.a. 'googling').

I haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

I just keep thinking of all the different scenarios... I mean- The whole time she was pregnant, he was planning to murder the baby. When baby Tyler was a newborn, he was planning to murder him (I guess he was just waiting for 'Father's Day' as a twisted way of honoring his dead father). He'd have to see this (his own) baby cry, coo, giggle, sleep... and the whole time, this monster was planning on murdering him.

How on earth would the mother ever get over this? To think that he only married her to get her pregnant, and then murder the baby. Every conversation she had with her husband, in the back of his mind, he knew he was going to kill their child. He was just waiting for the 'perfect' time. I'm sure they slept in the same bed- which means every time they had marital relations, he knew he was going to kill the baby. Was that what he was thinking about when they had sex?

Think about this... the death was initially ruled as Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Natural Causes.

He was so hell-bent on revenge, that he actually told her that he murdered Tyler. after he was 'home free'.

He would have gotten away with murder, but there was no fun in that for him... no, he wanted to make sure she knew he murdered the baby for revenge.

He confessed to murdering their child, and then went into the kitchen and fixed himself a sandwich.

I feel so much rage towards this person I don't even know. He has to be the very definition of the word 'Sociopath'.

What chills me to the bone... I can just imagine him looking forward to the day he could exact his 'revenge'.

I picture him looking forward to the day when he could devastate his wife with their baby's death the same way the rest of us look forward to a well- planned vacation.

Like I stated in my post above... what really makes my skin crawl even more, is that killing the baby wasn't even enough for him. He wanted to make sure she knew that he murdered the baby to get back at her.

Oh- you know what just occured to me?

I wonder how, or what, his father died from?

He murdered the baby to get back at her for not attending his father's funeral, right? (She was on a cruise ship vacation with her own parents).

I wonder if he was jealous that she was on the cruise without him?

I wonder if he murdered his father, as a 'guaranteed' (in his mind) way to get her to come home early (and therefore back to him) from her trip?

I wouldn't put it past him. Major control freak playing God.

I wonder what his father's cause of death was... and if he just happened to be there when his father died? If his father was already ill, this psycho may have smothered his father with a pillow, or something.

Oh- you know what just occured to me?

I wonder how, or what, his father died from?

He murdered the baby to get back at her for not attending his father's funeral, right? (She was on a cruise ship vacation with her own parents).

I wonder if he was jealous that she was on the cruise without him?

I wonder if he murdered his father, as a 'guaranteed' (in his mind) way to get her to come home early (and therefore back to him) from her trip?

I wouldn't put it past him. Major control freak playing God.

I wonder what his father's cause of death was... and if he just happened to be there when his father died? If his father was already ill, this psycho may have smothered his father with a pillow, or something.

Your post is amazing Smart Blond. I wish we could find out how the dad died.

I would also like to know more about this creature's background. Childhood and all that. Only so we can find out what happened to him. Was he always bad? Was his dad an abuser? What was he like as a friend to the other boys?. I look into this monsters background would be something to read I bet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back