"Guys and Dolls" actress Jean Simmons dies at 80

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES – Jean Simmons, whose ethereal screen presence and starring roles with Hollywood's top actors made her a mid-century film icon, has died at age 80.

The actress, who sang with Marlon Brando in "Guys and Dolls;" costarred with Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and Kirk Douglas; and played Ophelia to Laurence Olivier's Hamlet, died Friday at her home in Santa Monica, her agent Judy Page told the Los Angeles Times. She had lung cancer.

Already a stunning beauty at 14, Simmons made her movie debut in the 1944 British production "Give Us the Moon."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100123/ap_en_ot/us_obit_jean_simmons

I loved her in "The Thorn Birds". She was a great actress.

The actress, who sang with Marlon Brando in "Guys and Dolls;" http://

One of the hardest things to listen to in American Film history. Brando "singing".

Ms. Simmons was so beautiful. I loved her best in "Elmer Gantry". May she rest in peace and we are Blessed to have her films.

Jean Simmons has always been a favorite. Elegant, beautiful, First Class.

RIP, with condolences to her friends & family (shoutout to Tracy G from Tom T's sister)

She was so elegant and beautiful. My favorites of her movies are "Elmer Gantry" (with my favorite actor Burt Lancaster) and "Spartacus" with Kirk Douglas.

We are losing so many of our beloved stars from the past.

Jean Simmons has always been a favorite. Elegant, beautiful, First Class.

RIP, with condolences to her friends & family (shoutout to Tracy G from Tom T's sister)

(Emphasis added.) I worked with Miss Simmons for a short period in the mid-1970s. She showed exactly the same qualities in person.

But I do wonder whether she did her own singing in "Guys and Dolls." The show we worked on was a stage musical (A Little Night Music) and Simmons was wonderful, but not exactly a singer. Anyone who owns the London cast album (featuring Simmons) will see what I mean.

(Emphasis added.) I worked with Miss Simmons for a short period in the mid-1970s. She showed exactly the same qualities in person.

But I do wonder whether she did her own singing in "Guys and Dolls." The show we worked on was a stage musical (A Little Night Music) and Simmons was wonderful, but not exactly a singer. Anyone who owns the London cast album (featuring Simmons) will see what I mean.

Nova, how exciting. My mom always said she was dubbed in "Guys And Dolls". I only concentrated on Brando "singing".

My brother may have the cast album from "A Little Night Music". I'll have to ask.

Montana, "Elmer Gantry", right? Love it.

Thank you for sharing, Nova.

According to this bio from Flixster.com, she did do her own singing in Guys and Dolls. I don't know how accurate their info is though. It's in the second paragraph of the mini-bio.

http://www.flixster.com/actor/jean-simmons

I really liked her in Elmer Gantry and the film directed by her second husband, Richard Brooks, The Happy Ending. She was a class act all the way.

Nova, how exciting. My mom always said she was dubbed in "Guys And Dolls". I only concentrated on Brando "singing".

My brother may have the cast album from "A Little Night Music". I'll have to ask.

Montana, "Elmer Gantry", right? Love it.

Thank you for sharing, Nova.

Yes, Burt Lancaster played Elmer Gantry and won the Oscar for Best Actor for that role. Love that movie. Think I'll rent it again.

According to this bio from Flixster.com, she did do her own singing in Guys and Dolls. I don't know how accurate their info is though. It's in the second paragraph of the mini-bio.

http://www.flixster.com/actor/jean-simmons

I really liked her in Elmer Gantry and the film directed by her second husband, Richard Brooks, The Happy Ending. She was a class act all the way.

Every mention of Simmons doing her own singing that I can find seems to be quoting the same unsourced mini-bio at imdb.com, so I don't know. I did find one interview where she says she did her own singing in a British film when she was 15.

I may well be wrong about her having been dubbed, as voices change and 25 years passed between that movie and the stage musical we worked on. I certainly didn't mean to imply that she sang badly in the latter; rather, her voice was just much lower, like her speaking voice.

I hope it was clear I meant no disrespect. Uncredited dubbing was very common in 1950.

Every mention of Simmons doing her own singing that I can find seems to be quoting the same unsourced mini-bio at imdb.com, so I don't know. I did find one interview where she says she did her own singing in a British film when she was 15.

I may well be wrong about her having been dubbed, as voices change and 25 years passed between that movie and the stage musical we worked on. I certainly didn't mean to imply that she sang badly in the latter; rather, her voice was just much lower, like her speaking voice.

I hope it was clear I meant no disrespect. Uncredited dubbing was very common in 1950.

Oh no, I didn't take it as disrespectful. You're absolutely right, dubbing was VERY common in the 50s and 60s. I was just curious when you mentioned that and tried to find something that said whether she was dubbed or not in Guys and Dolls. At any rate, you were very lucky to have worked with someone as classy as Miss Simmons!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back