Chinese boy chained to post while dad works

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
Childcare, Chinese style: Rickshaw driver chains two-year-old son to a post while he's at work

By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 4:03 PM on 04th February 2010

At first sight it seems the ultimate in child cruelty - a two-year-old boy chained to a lamp post to stop him getting away.

Yet his parents say this is the only way they can guarantee not to lose him.

His father Chen Chuanliu works as an unlicensed rickshaw cyclist in Beijing, taking fares all over the city, while the boy's disabled mother collects rubbish at the roadside.

They say they secured their son, Lao Lu, with a padlock around his ankle because his four-year-old sister Ling was 'stolen' from them last month.

Child snatching is rife in China, where strict laws govern the size of families.

Concerned passers-by spotted the shackled toddler outside Huaguan Shopping Mall in Liangxiang.

They reported his father to the authorities, who yesterday ordered him to remove the chain although it was not clear what arrangements he would make in future.

There is no nursery place for Lao Lu because his 42-year-old father is a migrant worker from another province, Szechuan, and therefore does not qualify for state help. The family live in one room, 9ft by 8ft.

Chen said he could not afford to pay for childcare on his earnings of £4.50 a day and had refused offers of 'a lot of money' to give his son up for adoption.

'My wife cannot take care of him and I have to work to support my family. So I chain him to a pole when I have a fare.

'I don't even have a picture of my daughter to use for a missing-person poster. I cannot lose my son as well.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1248252/Chinese-boy-chained-lamp-post-dad.html

Couldn't the father allow the little boy to ride with him when he takes a fare? I mean he's awfully small, he can't take up that much room. I would think that would be safer than chaining him to a post. What if a mean dog came along, or worse a person with evil intentions could always cut the chain.

Absolutely heartbreaking................and never knowing what happened to his little girl.

I'm so glad he now has childcare

Absolutely heartbreaking................and never knowing what happened to his little girl.

I'm so glad he now has childcare

Whats very sad also is that they don't have 1 single photo of their little 4yo daughter. Can you imagine having a daughter for 4 years and never being able to afford even 1 picture! We really have no idea how many in this world live.
dh and I think nothing of taking photos, especially when we're traveling somewhere, we print them ourselves and make copies of some plus have them on cd's. I can't begin to tell you how many pics we have of our pets, yet this family most likely will never set eyes on their daughter again and won't even have 1, it's just so very sad!
I'm hoping that with their son's photo's in the newspaper, that they atleast will have some of him.

I wonder if with this publicity, if it might help bring a few tips on what happened to their daughter.

VB

I don't understand why the little girl was stolen if China strictly governs the size of families? Seems like there'd be no shortage of children to adopt and that they'd mostly want boys. They could even pay the poor women to be surrogate mothers for childless women. How horrible that people are treated that way in that horrible country while they flood our stores with their dangerous products and our country is helping them do that to children and families.

I don't understand why the little girl was stolen if China strictly governs the size of families? Seems like there'd be no shortage of children to adopt and that they'd mostly want boys. They could even pay the poor women to be surrogate mothers for childless women. How horrible that people are treated that way in that horrible country while they flood our stores with their dangerous products and our country is helping them do that to children and families.

China allows those living in rural areas to have more than one child - sounds like this man is from a rural area.

I don't know that you should judge China unless you have a connection to the country.

US retailers and importers try to get the cheapest product for their dollar, while the Chinese worker is just barely surviving. Much of the problem is related to Americans who flock to name brand products made cheaply in China (and sold for exhorbitant prices worldwide). This man chained his child because he cared about him, not to be mean to the child.

Communist China mistreated people long before they started producing goods for other countries, such as persecuting Christians and forcing their ideals on the people, and I do have a Chinese cousin married into my family who seems to have happily left the place behind.

OH that little boy is soooo cute !!!!
I am very sorry for this family that they lost their daughter and couldn't afford 1 picture of her :( I hope that maybe someone somewhere will come forward with some information about the little girl, probally a long shot but I can hope.

I really want to send some money to this family along with a printed picture of his son, I just can't believe how much we as americans take for granted. This man basicly makes equivilent to $ 6.00 american dollars a day ... most americans spend that on a cup of coffee at starbucks ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back