The state wants to kill AL's client. Really?

Spangle

Reaction score
AL is creating a huppla over the fact that this case is DP eligible. Which doesn't mean that if convicted, that her cliet WILL get the DP. Just that it's a possible choice for punishment if convicted.

Yet stisticaly, it's a very rare possibility that KC would get DP. And if she got it, that the sentence would be carried out. She is female and she is young. Those two reasons work in her favor when it comes to this.

All that Said... WE have a Father that has been convicted of Beating his 4 month old daughter to death. He told the detective that he wanted a boy instead of a girl.

Guess what he got??

15 years.

Yes, that is right. He got 15 years.

As part of a plea agreement, 30-year-old Marcos Gomez-Romero pleaded no contest to aggravated manslaughter. He was originally indicted two years ago on first-degree murder and child abuse charges.

4 month old Ariana Rodriguez Romero died Christmas Day 2007.

Dad Gets 15 Years For Beating Child To Death

I guess I missed my point.

KC should have plead out like this guy did. Could she have gotten the same type of deal??

HI Spangle.
The state does want to kill her client so that is a true statement. They are asking for the DP and if they wanted her life spared they would not be asking for it.
Whether they are successful or not is something else entirely.

I guess I missed my point.

KC should have plead out like this guy did. Could she have gotten the same type of deal??
She can only exchange her plea for an agreement if everyone agrees. Assuming she is guilty, she most likely could have struck some sort of deal early on imo.

I can't help but wonder what influence prevented her from taking a plea early on in the case.

Was it because:
She was convinced by others that she could beat the charges?
She was banking on a body never being found and thus assumed it would lessen the chances that she would face LWOP.
She was confident in her ability to cover her tracks, and assumed that she would be found innocent.
She knew she was innocent.

The statement by AL that "the State wants to kill my client" strikes me as odd in a subtle way. AL steers clear of mentioning Caylee by name instead, referring to her as the "kid" or "deceased". According to her own lectures....everything is about humanizing your client and dehumanizing the victim.....

That said.......WHY in the world would AL say in court that "the state wants to kill my client", instead of "the state wants to kill Casey Anthony"?????

Is that indicitave of her true feelings that KC is guilty, or because Casey sounds much like Caylee, or some other reason? I am big on word selection and semantics. We use words for a reason. What is her reason???????

Thoughts????

HI Spangle.
The state does want to kill her client so that is a true statement. They are asking for the DP and if they wanted her life spared they would not be asking for it.

I strongly disagree with the wording of that statement by Ms Lyon. It is misleading and sounds like the State just decided to choose to kill someone randomly and it promotes fear - as if the State may just decide to kill one of us someday, so we'd better watch out if we let this happen. It is a half truth to state it that way imo. At the base level, yes it's true, but it is not in context.

I think the better way of putting it, and the honest way (less hyperbole, but of course that's not Lyon's goal) is to say the state wants to punish Casey by killing her. This is better because it begs the question of what she did to deserve this punishment, and it puts the focus where it needs to be - which is on Casey's actions.

HI Spangle.

That is not my understanding of the situation. It has nothing to do with her personally or sparing her life. It's based upon the charges filed against her.

The only option would be to change what she is charged.

Kinda like "3 strikes, your out" law. No one wants to put a small time criminal in jail for life.. but the law gives the courts no choice.

Sluetherontheside, thanks for your insight.

I hope you don't mind me quoting you.

Of your 4 different reasons behind KC from taking a plea early on, #s 2 & 3 seem the most plausable:

"She was banking on a body never being found and thus assumed it would lessen the chances that she would face LWOP.

She was confident in her ability to cover her tracks, and assumed that she would be found innocent."

As for this question from you (which is such a great question):

"That said.......WHY in the world would AL say in court that "the state wants to kill my client", instead of "the state wants to kill Casey Anthony"????? "

I have a crazy thought, but one that is very well anchored in my mind:

AL finds KC to be repulisive. Could be that she believes she is guilty (probably), could be that she's pretty & petite (= polar opposite of herself), could be that she considers her "stupid" (like jurors). I think she completely dislikes KC on a very personal level. Downright repulsed. I felt that way the day in court when AL was holding KC's wrist while she was becoming enraged. It wasn't a motherly or friendly, or comforting hold. It was the way you hold someone who you don't really want to touch.

Just my two cents.

I strongly disagree with the wording of that statement by Ms Lyon. It is misleading and sounds like the State just decided to choose to kill someone randomly and it promotes fear - as if the State may just decide to kill one of us someday, so we'd better watch out if we let this happen. It is a half truth to state it that way imo. At the base level, yes it's true, but it is not in context.

I think the better way of putting it, and the honest way (less hyperbole, but of course that's not Lyon's goal) is to say the state wants to punish Casey by killing her. This is better because it begs the question of what she did to deserve this punishment, and it puts the focus where it needs to be - which is on Casey's actions.

Yes, I find it very misleading. It's not like the State just picked out KC and decided they wanted to kill her.

I would like to hear a ATTY whine that the State wants their client to pay a traffic fine for speeding.. HOW DARE THEY!

In theory, it's the same. You do a crime, there is a punishment associated with that type of crime. Simple speeding is just a ticket. What KC is accused of.. isn't so simple.

That is not my understanding of the situation. It has nothing to do with her personally or sparing her life. It's based upon the charges filed against her.

The only option would be to change what she is charged.

Kinda like "3 strikes, your out" law. No one wants to put a small time criminal in jail for life.. but the law gives the courts no choice.
So, in Florida the state does not have the option of seeking the death penalty, it is mandatory in first degree? I did not know that, but even if that is the case, then the state definitely wants to put her to death. I am not implying at all that it is personally based, it sounds like it is just a simple fact.

How would one arrive at the conclusion that this could happen to anyone randomly?I suppose, if one were taking that statement out of context, with no understanding that KC is charged with first degree premeditated murder, then that conclusion could be drawn, but that wouldn;t apply to anyone in this forum.LOL.

The state does want to put her to death, per the law. so what's the problem with that, assuming the death penalty is generally accepted and perfectly legal?

Yes, I find it very misleading. It's not like the State just picked out KC and decided they wanted to kill her.

I would like to hear a ATTY whine that the State wants their client to pay a traffic fine for speeding.. HOW DARE THEY!

In theory, it's the same. You do a crime, there is a punishment associated with that type of crime. Simple speeding is just a ticket. What KC is accused of.. isn't so simple.
Misleading to whom Spangle?

Andrea lectures, in detail, about how capital jurors are already predisposed to sentence a client to death. She feels that the terms Capital Punishment, Death Penalty, et al do not carry the impact and the weight of the word "KILL".

In a capital case like this, there has been a death....you will not hear her say "murder or kill" regarding Caylee. She wants to impact the jury with the word "kill" because it is RAW and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Given a choice....would a juror want to sign a statement saying "KILL HER" or "Impose the Death Penalty"?

In a backward sort of way......her motive is "how can one justify killing her client, when killing has been deemed unacceptable"?

Beginning minute 3:31 Mr. Ashton explains

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5XaePP3eUg[/ame]

So, in Florida the state does not have the option of seeking the death penalty, it is mandatory in first degree? I did not know that, but even if that is the case, then the state definitely wants to put her to death. I am not implying at all that it is personally based, it sounds like it is just a simple fact.

Thinkin you are absolutely right by the definition of the word. The fact is, if you are a supporter of the death penalty, you have to be able to reconcile your belief even in the face of someone calling you a killer.
I am not uncomfortable with AL referring to me (I support the DP, and live in a greater community of like minded people-Virginians) as someone who would "kill," because the foundation of my beliefs are solid in the face of this verbal challenge.
Another example, to me, would be if someone broke into my home and posed a mortal threat to me or my family-He's gonna meet the mortal end of my 40mm. And that means I may have killed. It is a verb, not necessarily an assignment of wrong-doing, IMO.

Andrea lectures, in detail, about how capital jurors are already predisposed to sentence a client to death. She feels that the terms Capital Punishment, Death Penalty, et al do not carry the impact and the weight of the word "KILL".

In a capital case like this, there has been a death....you will not hear her say "murder or kill" regarding Caylee. She wants to impact the jury with the word "kill" because it is RAW and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Given a choice....would a juror want to sign a statement saying "KILL HER" or "Impose the Death Penalty"?

In a backward sort of way......her motive is "how can one justify killing her client, when killing has been deemed unacceptable"?
The death penalty is homicide by definition. Maybe she will start using that term to sway emotion too. I think they use that as the manner of death on the executed's death certificate as well.

I can't help but wonder what influence prevented her from taking a plea early on in the case.

Was it because:
She was banking on a body never being found and thus assumed it would lessen the chances that she would face LWOP.
She was confident in her ability to cover her tracks, and assumed that she would be found innocent.

The statement by AL that "the State wants to kill my client" strikes me as odd in a subtle way. AL steers clear of mentioning Caylee by name instead, referring to her as the "kid" or "deceased". According to her own lectures....everything is about humanizing your client and dehumanizing the victim.....

That said.......WHY in the world would AL say in court that "the state wants to kill my client", instead of "the state wants to kill Casey Anthony"?????

Is that indicitave of her true feelings that KC is guilty, or because Casey sounds much like Caylee, or some other reason? I am big on word selection and semantics. We use words for a reason. What is her reason???????

Thoughts????

I have so many thoughts on this. On both issues you brought up.

I think it was a combination of all the above, except the one where she thought she was innocent.

Beginning minute 3:31 Mr. Ashton explains that no......the state is not trying to kill Miss Anthony. The state is putting the decision in the hands of the jurors and ultimately the court ( the judge)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5XaePP3eUg

Maybe Casey should have moved to a state that does not have the death penalty before she chose to murder her baby ( if she did indeed do so ).
I understand what you mean and as pointed out it does come down to wordplay.
But wouldn't you agree that the state of FL would like to put murderers to death by virtue of the fact that it is a chosen option for murder?
Your sentence here is telling:
>>The state is putting the decision in the hands of the jurors and ultimately the court ( the judge) <<
If the state did not desire the DP, they would not give the jury that decision.

Or as KC's selection of webart noted: Why do people kill people to show people that to kill people is wrong?
Lovely how the little girl in that picture looked a lot like Caylee.

Was it because:

Thoughts????

Great questions!! I believe Casey didn't take a plea for all the reasons you listed above with the exception of the last one.

I think AL's ego got in the way when she referred to Casey as "my client" rather than using Casey's name. She seems to be uber aware and proud of her sterling record in wins/losses. It's very likely that she considers Casey primarily as another statistic in her ratings, in spite of the compassion and benevolence she tries to portray in court. She must have slept through that part of her own lecture. :sleep: Do you think she might be in danger of losing her halo as the "Angel of Death Row" in this case? :innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back