WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/mar/03/police-wont-cut-corners-cowell-case/

Also statement from Douglas County, East Wenatchee and Chelan County here:
http://wenatcheeworld.media.clients...documents/2010/03/03/Cowell_investigation.pdf

They should have ran spell-check before releasing... 'sherriff'

Offtopic I know but the release pdf document properties show the author is Kevira Voegele. She is a WW staff member... did she write up the joint release for them?? Strange...

It must be a cut-paste job from an email or something.

Welcome to Websleuths JoeFrydey! Yes, this place is a great relief from the WW comment site! Do you have any theories on what may have happened?

I have my opinion on what I think happened, And I think the theory that has been floating around on here by several posters is probly just about spot on the money most likely. Having said that....I think its even a little more sinister than whats being considered but I suppose we'll all know soon enough ( I hope) for the sake of everybody here in town. I remember the huffman ordeal and that was one week of pure hell for all, I can certainly understand people's anxiety with this case taking as long as it has already

I have my opinion on what I think happened, And I think the theory that has been floating around on here by several posters is probly just about spot on the money most likely. Having said that....I think its even a little more sinister than whats being considered but I suppose we'll all know soon enough ( I hope) for the sake of everybody here in town. I remember the huffman ordeal and that was one week of pure hell for all, I can certainly understand people's anxiety with this case taking as long as it has already

As you have seen it is perfectly ok to post your theories on here. Do you care to share yours?

Not sure if this has already been posted on here. But does anyone find it interesting that WC has a home listed on Pitcher Canyon Rd? About a mile away from where the car was found. I find that very interesting. Tell me your thoughts on this?

I was not aware of that. I find that very interesting as well...

That is the first thing in my mind that implicates the family. (or a close friend) Easy for us to say, not having been through this. Also, the way they have kept out of the limelight. The 17 yr old that went missing in CA last week? Her family, as HORRID as it must have been went on ANY available media outlet. They talked about how great their daughter was. How beautiful and smart she was, and that they need help locating her. They had the largest turn out EVER for a search party in the pouring rain. They were on local media, the Today show, etc. It was the forefront of the Nancy Grace show last night. They found her body yesterday, and they are still talking about. They even had someone is custody on Sunday and they are still on the Today show today. THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE NOT stepped foot on TV or put in enticement money screams GUILT. I cannot imagine how hard it would be, but come on. GET YOUR STORY OUT THERE.

PEARS, you are totally right.

I agree with both of you on this. I keep thinking of Natolee Halloway- I'm sure you all have heard of her, and the public pleas her mother made. Her mother did everything possible to find out what happened to her. She spent HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on private investigators and trips to Aruba. She did all of this in spite of the fact that the chance of finding the killer was very slim. Because she was devastated and just wanted to find this person. I'm sure my mom would do the same thing....as well as those of you who are mothers are on here.

It really makes my heart ache for Mackenzie. She deserved SO much better than this!!

A couple thoughts... Usually by this point we would have heard that someone has an air tight alibi, or someone is a person of interest. Other family members would/should have offered to take a polygraph to clear themselves and put the focus on the real perp. I know someone has failed a polygraph two times, as we stated yesterday. Then there are the two brothers in jail who are rumored to have assisted in the body moving. The potential crime scenes are staggering. The state of her body was horrific. I have also heard that their goal was to remove all signs of recognition. That includes braces. I also heard that they lost their stomach and couldn't complete their task. SO, what would put someone in this mess? Is it worth all of this because of an affair? Why would Mac's friends state that she was seeming "happier" in the weeks prior to her death. How would such a seemingly happy exterior take a turn in such a way that we as a county, state and country are forced to divulge horrendous (alleged) facts to determine what this poor girl went through.

The situation could be:

MC:
  • ... knew the perp but they had no 'relationship'.
  • ... knew the perp and they had a 'relationship'.
  • ... did not know the perp but he'd been stalking her.
  • ... did not know the perp and she was a random target.
Questions:
  • When and where did MC change from heels to boots?
  • Was MC aware of the houses involved in the investigation?
  • Did MC ever hang at the Sunnyslope house while it was being constructed / afterward?
  • Had MC been to / frequented any of the houses?
  • Did MC frequent river locations, i.e.: boat dock, private beaches?
  • Was the perp familiar with the Crescent Bar property?
  • Had MC and / or the perp ever attended a party at that property?
  • Was MC offered scholarships over another / other students?
  • Did MC have clients (people who either volunteer or pay to have their hair done by trainees) at the Hair Design school?
  • Did MC have workout partners or spotters at Gold's Gym?
  • Does the perp use steroids?
  • Did MC's brother's friends or acquaintances ever hang with / date MC?
  • Does MC's brother have gym friends that use steroids?
  • Were WC / RC ever involved in questionable activity?
  • Did LE advise the C family to be cautious; targeted?
Observations:
  • MC's walk to her car video: unless it is her 'typical' walking style she appeared either as mildly late or in a mildly-forced hurry.
  • Her quick side-glances indicated either cautiousness or mild distractedness for which she had no time.
  • If MC changed any clothing item she did not do it while in the parking lot. Minimal time for foot-wear change.
  • A grey mini-van along the row closest to the stores was either occupied or reflected near-by activity - MC seemed not to notice.
  • A brutality or extreme violence is indicated by LE's comment: "monster".
  • The bag on / over MC's head was to contain blood or indicated familiarity, intimacy, passion and / or concern.
  • WC assumes fear, evidenced by multiple 911 calls.
  • Perp is familair with at least specific locations in and near Wenatchee.
  • Could be a Stillman copy-cat crime.
  • It wasn't suicide.

Here are my opinions on a few of your questions:
  • When and where did MC change from heels to boots? I am confused as to why you think she changed... do you have more information on the shoes that I am unaware of? The only information released was that she was wearing "boots with fur trim". Although MC is seen in her senior pictures wearing something similar to Ugg boots that do not have heels, I would think she would have more than one pair of boots. The first thing that came to my mind when I read the statement about the boots and watched her walk in the video was that she was wearing a boot with a "wedge" heel. Like maybe something seen here: http://www.shoebuy.com/dawgs-15-wed...?cm_mmc=googleproductads-_-none-_-none-_-none
    The way she is walking in the video released does look like she is wearing high heels, but not a stiletto... I think it was something more like those wedge boots. Therefore, maybe she never changed shoes.

• Was the perp familiar with the Crescent Bar property? I would think so, it is a very random location for someone to pick without having prior knowledge of. If her body was found in the pond/creek by the house I would say, yes, the perp was definitely familiar with the area.
  • Did MC's brother's friends or acquaintances ever hang with / date MC? I have some familiarity of the brothers. They are both popular, outgoing guys. I have often seen the brothers together at parties (not doing anything out of control), but MC had never been at any of those parties. A lot of the brother's friends were unaware that the boys even had a sister, unless they had been up to family home.
  • Does MC's brother have gym friends that use steroids? MC's brother is a body-builder and personal trainer, I don't know anything about knowing people using steroids... What is your theory about the steroids?

IMO, the activity of WC and JF since MC went missing is enough to wave red flags. Who goes looking for a missing, elderly snow-mobiler when your one teenage daughter is missing? I found it very odd that the family never formed any kind of search party, made any public statements, or asked for help in finding MC. With regards to the reward fund, I am not sure of WC's financial situation. Maybe it is true that the family is struggling right now. However, I know many families that are not at all "rich", and if their child went missing they would be selling or doing whatever possible to help the reward fund.

I find it VERY strange that JF was not at the private family funeral or at the public memorial.

I also find it bizarre that a harassment call was made from WC's residence in the weeks after MC was found. Shouldn't a family be grieving a lost daughter, not fighting and causing disturbances? The 911 calls placed by WC raise red flags for me... IMO this is not normal behavior for someone who has lost their only daughter. Again, this is all my opinion... very sketchy...

I agree with both of you on this. I keep thinking of Natolee Halloway- I'm sure you all have heard of her, and the public pleas her mother made. Her mother did everything possible to find out what happened to her. She spent HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on private investigators and trips to Aruba. She did all of this in spite of the fact that the chance of finding the killer was very slim. Because she was devastated and just wanted to find this person. I'm sure my mom would do the same thing....as well as those of you who are mothers are on here.

Yes, I remember the story of Natalee Halloway. So very sad. I agree with you, even if WC knows (or has a good idea) who did this she should still be doing everything she can to encourage information from the public. There still might be someone out there that knows something but for one reason or another hasn't come forward. More money would sure be enticing...

I advise anyone who responds to Dee Riggs to do some research on her before telling her anything..... again JMO[/QUOTE said:
Can you give more reason for this? Should I be worried if I emailed Dee?

It really makes my heart ache for Mackenzie. She deserved SO much better than this!!

I agree. However; where is the father in all of this? He is even more invisible! Nothing from the brother's either! It all smacks that LE identified a perp(s) right away!

A couple thoughts... Usually by this point we would have heard that someone has an air tight alibi, or someone is a person of interest. Other family members would/should have offered to take a polygraph to clear themselves and put the focus on the real perp. I know someone has failed a polygraph two times, as we stated yesterday. Then there are the two brothers in jail who are rumored to have assisted in the body moving. The potential crime scenes are staggering. The state of her body was horrific. I have also heard that their goal was to remove all signs of recognition. That includes braces. I also heard that they lost their stomach and couldn't complete their task. SO, what would put someone in this mess? Is it worth all of this because of an affair? Why would Mac's friends state that she was seeming "happier" in the weeks prior to her death. How would such a seemingly happy exterior take a turn in such a way that we as a county, state and country are forced to divulge horrendous (alleged) facts to determine what this poor girl went through.

IMO, the rumor about trying to make MC unrecognizable is false. If the perp(s) were trying to do that, why leave her fully clothed in the clothes that she was last known to be wearing? This is just my opinion.

Not sure how to link, but if you go to her real estate website the listing # is 691048

Her braces? Does that mean her teeth were removed? That reminds me of that contestant from "Megan wants a millionaire" from Blaine that killed his wife and removed her fingers & teeth and the only way they could identify her was from the serial number on her breast implants. Ewww- it gets creepier all the time!:yuck:

Del Rio- is this something you heard as well?

IMO, the activity of WC and JF since MC went missing is enough to wave red flags. Who goes looking for a missing, elderly snow-mobiler when your one teenage daughter is missing? I found it very odd that the family never formed any kind of search party, made any public statements, or asked for help in finding MC. With regards to the reward fund, I am not sure of WC's financial situation. Maybe it is true that the family is struggling right now. However, I know many families that are not at all "rich", and if their child went missing they would be selling or doing whatever possible to help the reward fund.

I find it VERY strange that JF was not at the private family funeral or at the public memorial.

I also find it bizarre that a harassment call was made from WC's residence in the weeks after MC was found. Shouldn't a family be grieving a lost daughter, not fighting and causing disturbances? The 911 calls placed by WC raise red flags for me... IMO this is not normal behavior for someone who has lost their only daughter. Again, this is all my opinion... very sketchy...

It was said that WC went there to throw a fit about a search party not being sent out to find her daughter. And I think the reason JF was not at either the funeral or memorial is because him and WC are not currently together anymore (i'm not 100% sure about the latter, but their relationship has always been on again/off again). Just what I've heard, nothing is 100% confirmed on my end.

Also, I didn't know how to quote two separate people [respectfully snipped]

Hi and welcome MissAnonymous! Just to the right of the quote icon on the bottom right hand side of the post, there is a smaller icon with quotation marks (aka the multiquote icon). Just click that for each of the posts you wish to respond to, and then hit reply and all of the posts you wanted to respond to should appear in the reply box. Hope that helps! :)

Also, a big :Welcome-12-june: to all the new members! You guys were really busy in the past 24 hours or so! We're happy to have you here and hope you'll stick around after Mackenzie's case is solved. It's a great community and there's pretty much something here for everyone!

Oh, and someone asked if Websleuth's members had ever helped solve a murder case before. I am pretty sure that a couple of WS members were instrumental in bring about the arrest of Dee Dee Moore in the death of the Florida lottery winner, Abraham Shakespeare. The Shakespeare case is still a pretty active topic in this Missing and Located discussion forum. One of the investigators working the case was posting and seemed pretty grateful for the websleuthers' great sleuthing on that case. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, some of our WS members have figured out the identities of "Unidentified Bodies" before and have helped bring closure to their families. I'm unsure of the number of those, but I think there's been quite a few!

Sorry for the OT and again, WELCOME to all our new members!

Can you give more reason for this? Should I be worried if I emailed Dee?

Sorry to alarm you Melissa. I actually edited my post. That is based off of my personal opinion of articles. I think a better way to put it is choose your words wisely, as you should do when giving info to any reporter. :twocents::

IMO, the rumor about trying to make MC unrecognizable is false. If the perp(s) were trying to do that, why leave her fully clothed in the clothes that she was last known to be wearing? This is just my opinion.

Their plan to do this failed, apparently. They lost their stomach. I wondered when I heard that if they meant "literally" as in vomit was found somewhere. That is why I thought they used the bag to cover her head. I imagine that was why her clothes were on. Was she undressed and dressed again post mortem? We won't hear this until after they release the autopsy. I imagine not, since there was no rape. I heard braces only, not teeth, but I don't know that first hand. Ug.

Does anyone know or could find out if JF did any work out at CB? Like framing the garage or building the deck? Or worked on other houses out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288