Infant deaths prompt gov't warning on slings

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – The government warned Friday that those chic baby slings that hip moms and dads are sporting these days can be dangerous, even deadly for their little ones.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said it has investigated at least 13 deaths associated with sling-style infant carriers over the last 20 years, including three deaths last year. One other case involving a fatality is still being investigated. Twelve of the deaths involved babies younger than four months of age, the agency said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100312/ap_on_bi_ge/us_baby_slings_warning

I wore both my kids, who are now 18 and 14. My sling didn't look like the one pictured in the article, though. Mine carried the baby more upright, and they were a huge relief to me, as my kids wanted to to be carried 24/7. My current little one never had the patience for the sling, though.

I was constantly checking on the babies, even if just to put my hand on their back to see that they were still breathing. I was always paranoid about their little faces being covered up.

When my son was little, until about 8 mos, I used a carrier and not a sling, as my cloth sling didn't feel secure. The carrier is a lot like a "holster" or backpack, but on the front, and straps them in safely. Now that he's two, though, I use a sling so I can put him on my hip, and he's fine.

Realistically, with kids getting their fingers cut off in strollers, nothing made for children is 100% safe, and everything requires parental common sense.

I wore and still occasionally wear my 26 month old little man. Hes a sensory issue tactile guy, go the Moby wrap is a huge comfort to him. I'm far from the type of mom who would fit in the "cliche" catergories of baby wearers lol. I've never worn the rest of the kids, but for him its a comort thing. I dont wear it in a C-style hold though, we do the kanagroo and joey hold, where he is upright on my chest facing out. My Moby wrap just holds him more securely than any other baby product I have tried, and it can be worn about a 100 different ways. he sometimes like the hipsling too, and now that hes getting big and heavy, that works for me. common sense is always applicable, if your going to wear your baby, check on him or her. make sure no fabric is anywhere near the face, and that hes able to move comfortably.

I personally didn't like the sling type carriers. They felt dangerous. I used the kind with the baby facing me upright for my clingy little baby who constantly needed carrying. She is 4 and still that way!

I wore and still occasionally wear my 26 month old little man. Hes a sensory issue tactile guy, go the Moby wrap is a huge comfort to him. I'm far from the type of mom who would fit in the "cliche" catergories of baby wearers lol. I've never worn the rest of the kids, but for him its a comort thing. I dont wear it in a C-style hold though, we do the kanagroo and joey hold, where he is upright on my chest facing out. My Moby wrap just holds him more securely than any other baby product I have tried, and it can be worn about a 100 different ways. he sometimes like the hipsling too, and now that hes getting big and heavy, that works for me. common sense is always applicable, if your going to wear your baby, check on him or her. make sure no fabric is anywhere near the face, and that hes able to move comfortably.

What is this "hipsling" of which you speak, and where can I get one? My daughter is two and I have rheumatoid arthritis. Sometimes it is just painful and difficult to carry her full weight on my hip. She's pretty tiny, too, at just 25 pounds. I used to have this thing that looked like a fanny pack, only it had a bigger "shelf" on it, but that was more than a decade ago, and I haven't found anything like it since.

What is this "hipsling" of which you speak, and where can I get one? My daughter is two and I have rheumatoid arthritis. Sometimes it is just painful and difficult to carry her full weight on my hip. She's pretty tiny, too, at just 25 pounds. I used to have this thing that looked like a fanny pack, only it had a bigger "shelf" on it, but that was more than a decade ago, and I haven't found anything like it since.

A hip sling is a wide loop that goes over your shoulder and under the toddler bum, putting the weight off your arm and hip onto the deltoid muscle. I have one from the company Heart2Heart, but I have also just tied one out of long cloth, in a pinch.

I use my Moby wrap and tie it into a hipsling. but as someone else mentioned, a piece of stretchy fabric does just about the same thing. I loop mine over my opposite shoulder, and it makes a loop over my hip so I can sit Colton on my hip and still offset his weight with my shoulder. I'm going to try and figure out how to attach a picture here for you so you can get the idea of what Im talking about...I'm not even slighty techy lol. My man is only 28 lbs at 26 months now, but thats still heavy enough that its tougher to hold him in a joey hold.
1zv3ad1.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back