GUILTY CA - Viola Vanclief, 2, bludgeoned to death, Los Angeles, 4 March 2010

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
South L.A. foster mother, boyfriend are under investigation in child's death
Kiana Barker and James Julian were arrested in the death of 2-year-old Viola Vanclief, who was struck with a hammer.
March 15, 2010

Viola Vanclief's death March 4 is the latest in a series of troubles linked to United Care Inc , a nonprofit foster care agency that contracts with Los Angeles County to provide shelter for abused and neglected children.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/15/local/la-me-child-death16-2010mar16

Kiana Barker, 30, and James Julian, 38, were arrested last week on suspicion of murder in connection with the March 4 death of Viola Vanclief, according to Los Angeles police records.

They were released two days later with no charges filed, however, they remain under investigation.

snip

State regulators decertified Barker as a foster parent last week.

United Care Inc. has been repeatedly cited in recent years after caregivers choked, hit and whipped their charges with a belt, The Los Angeles Times is reporting.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-foster-child-hammer-death,0,942095.story

so a 2 year old is beaten to death with a hammer but they dont have enough to hold them?

what a crock

so a 2 year old is beaten to death with a hammer but they dont have enough to hold them?

what a crock

wonder if they used the same excuse that Amora Bain Carson's momster & b/f used -- they said that little girl bashed her own head in (well, just one of their 'reasons'). :furious:

what a crock

Does this mean I can go around busting everybody in the dome with a hammer and get away with it?

I got a list.

How in God's mercy do you beat a little baby with a hammer?

maybe it was self defense

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah that's always my plea when I beat a kid with a hammer.

Ya know like when they wet their pants or don't keep up fast enough on the street or don't eat their lunch.

It's so da*n sad. The people that are suposed to protect the poor baby beat them with a hammer. Could the biological parents been any worse for God's sake?

Yeah that's always my plea when I beat a kid with a hammer.

Ya know like when they wet their pants or don't keep up fast enough on the street or don't eat their lunch.

It's so da*n sad. The people that are suposed to protect the poor baby beat them with a hammer. Could the biological parents been any worse for God's sake?

what happened to whacking a kid w/ an Avon hairbrush?

At least a kid will live thru a swat on the behind with one of those.

(sarcastic of course)

Foster mother had 5 abuse complaints

snip

The South Los Angeles foster mother under investigation in the fatal beating of a 2-year-old child had been the subject of five previous child-abuse complaints, including one substantiated allegation that she had severely neglected her own biological child in 2002, confidential records show

snip

The records show, however, that county Children and Family Services investigators substantiated the severe neglect charge in 2002 -- a finding that should have placed Barker on the California attorney general’s database consulted by employers and regulators to vet foster parents and other child-care providers.

Details of the 2002 case and others were not contained in the records reviewed by The Times.

Over subsequent years, callers continued to report abuse or neglect by Barker but social workers were unable to substantiate the complaints, the records show. In 2005, someone accused Barker of emotionally abusing a child and investigators deemed the allegation unfounded. In July 2008, a caller alleged neglect of two foster children -- a charge deemed inconclusive. One month later, Barker was accused of general neglect and sexual abuse of foster children. Investigators determined the neglect charge to be inconclusive and the sexual-abuse charge unfounded. Three months later, investigators concluded another complaint of sexual abuse of a foster child was unfounded.

Under state rules, the inconclusive cases should have beenentered into the state database and might have precluded a state license.

In addition, the records show, Barker's boyfriend went undetected in Barker's home over the course of the couple's three-year relationship. Julian, who is known as "Big Bird," is also under investigation in Viola's death, and was convicted in 1992 of armed robbery -- a fact that should have disqualified him from living in a home certified for foster care.

When Barker applied to become a foster parent, state regulators apparently did not discover his presence -- despite the three 2008 child-abuse investigations that should have documented everyone living in the home, the records show.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-child-death18-2010mar18,0,5455606.story?track=rss

so she abuses her own kids.......just give her someonelses to raise :(

what happened to whacking a kid w/ an Avon hairbrush?

At least a kid will live thru a swat on the behind with one of those.

(sarcastic of course)

Don't swat your kid with a hairbrush because the child protectors will take him away from you and give him to someone who will beat him in the head with a hammer.
IMOO

Foster mother had 5 abuse complaints

snip

The South Los Angeles foster mother under investigation in the fatal beating of a 2-year-old child had been the subject of five previous child-abuse complaints, including one substantiated allegation that she had severely neglected her own biological child in 2002, confidential records show

snip

The records show, however, that county Children and Family Services investigators substantiated the severe neglect charge in 2002 -- a finding that should have placed Barker on the California attorney general’s database consulted by employers and regulators to vet foster parents and other child-care providers.

Details of the 2002 case and others were not contained in the records reviewed by The Times.

Over subsequent years, callers continued to report abuse or neglect by Barker but social workers were unable to substantiate the complaints, the records show. In 2005, someone accused Barker of emotionally abusing a child and investigators deemed the allegation unfounded. In July 2008, a caller alleged neglect of two foster children -- a charge deemed inconclusive. One month later, Barker was accused of general neglect and sexual abuse of foster children. Investigators determined the neglect charge to be inconclusive and the sexual-abuse charge unfounded. Three months later, investigators concluded another complaint of sexual abuse of a foster child was unfounded.

Under state rules, the inconclusive cases should have beenentered into the state database and might have precluded a state license.

In addition, the records show, Barker's boyfriend went undetected in Barker's home over the course of the couple's three-year relationship. Julian, who is known as "Big Bird," is also under investigation in Viola's death, and was convicted in 1992 of armed robbery -- a fact that should have disqualified him from living in a home certified for foster care.

When Barker applied to become a foster parent, state regulators apparently did not discover his presence -- despite the three 2008 child-abuse investigations that should have documented everyone living in the home, the records show.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-child-death18-2010mar18,0,5455606.story?track=rss

I just want to scream. How could this woman be licensed ????
I guess it's all about supply and demand. If they did a thorough background check it would reduce the supply of acceptable foster homes and cost them money. When is it really going to be about the kids ?

No charges were filed ?
Why ?
Where's her justice ? Was her life worth less because she was a ward of the state ?

i dont get it either.

its not like she bashed herself with the hammer.

oh give me a break

Looks like it worked, considering she was released and not charged after apparently confessing to accidentally hitting her in the head with a hammer.

then all those cops need to be fired cause they are a bunch of morons

According to records on file with the state's division of Community Care Licensing, Barker was a foster parent for United Care, an agency whose caregivers sometimes left children in dirty clothes or placed them in rooms without a single working light bulb. In the 2007 drowning, the foster mother was distracted during a family reunion, the records showed.

In addition, county auditors issued a 2007 report that uncovered financial irregularities at the agency. According to the report, United Care was paid $3,954,796 for the care of 232 children, but $274,608 in expenditures were determined "questionable" and was ordered to be repaid to taxpayers.

That's over $17000 per year per child. Wonder how much this 'mom' got.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/15/local/la-me-child-death16-2010mar16?pg=2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back