WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toledo-Vader is a couple of small towns just off I-5, maybe 10 miles from Castle Rock. This is a pretty empty stretch of I-5, and Toledo/Vader is one of the few exits with services available in the area. There's a back road between Vader and Castle Rock that's more pleasant/scenic than I-5.

Brinnon is another place entirely; as the crow flies, it is not far from Silverlake, where Shantina & Robb live.

10 miles? So why did it take him 55 minutes to reach Castle Rock? And why call someone in Brinnon?

I think it also helps to know she relapsed. I am sure LE know. This could make it more likely they are lost and there isn't a perp involved. But this statement from LE takes on a new meaning
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000562-504083.html

Shantina_Smiley_1_370x278.jpg

Hope this little boy is found safe.
I hope both are.

You're assuming what RS said was true.

Mighty convenient that she 'relapsed' just a week ago.

<snipped>

Where is that, and is it 55 minutes away from Castle Rock? Where is Brinnon in relation to Castle Rock?

The Toledo-Vader exit on I-5 is about 20 minutes from Castle Rock if you are doing the speed limit. I drive that stretch of I-5 often and NO ONE does the speed limit. 10 to 15 minutes tops, in my opinion is the average time it takes to drive that.

But he did say he stopped to make a repair so I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt on the time it took him to get to Castle Rock.

But it doesn't change my opinion that he had his hands in this mess.. even if it was from a distance.

this all doesnt sound right....:(

i havent read back....but was there any statement from the person she stopped at and made the phone call from?...like how was she acting?

Not happy to hear the fiancee say on national television that SS is a recovering alcoholic who relapsed last week because of his health problems. Why would you say that on TV while she's still missing?? You want as many people as possible to be sympathetic and help look - it reminded me of when LE said amber dubois "may be a runaway."

uh-oh....fiance on Fox with Shep. Told Shep that Shantina is a recovering alcoholic and had relapsed last week....he started to say something about his health problems but drama queen Shep cut him off.....

Interesting - the character assisination begins. So she may have been drunk?

What did she buy at the Handy mart?

im down with a bad cold today.....but this hits very close to home...

was the phone call from someones house before or after the diner?

i havent read back....but was there any statement from the person she stopped at and made the phone call from?...like how was she acting?

I've not read anything that he felt she'd been drinking. And in RS's detail about all the calls, he doesn't state she sound drunk or any concern that she'd been drinking.

I think he is talking too much. Which IMO is going to end up being a good thing for LE.

The Toledo-Vader exit on I-5 is about 20 minutes from Castle Rock if you are doing the speed limit. I drive that stretch of I-5 often and NO ONE does the speed limit. 10 to 15 minutes tops, in my opinion is the average time it takes to drive that.

But he did say he stopped to make a repair so I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt on the time it took him to get to Castle Rock.

But it doesn't change my opinion that he had his hands in this mess.. even if it was from a distance.

That's pretty convenient too.

I've not read anything that he felt she'd been drinking. And in RS's detail about all the calls, he doesn't state she sound drunk or any concern that she'd been drinking.

I think he is talking too much. Which IMO is going to end up being a good thing for LE.

sorry i meant the people at the house where she called from.....what did they say about her.....and her son....anything on the home owners yet?

maybe im confused....i thought i read she stopped at a house to use the phone...?

h
could he bring the cell phone she'd forgotten at home

But after buying food she left without taking it, then fell down in the parking lot.

The people who helped her place the call said she appeared disoriented.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/03/shantina_smiley_and_son_azriel.php

I don't know if this article had been posted but it has a pretty good rundown of the timeline and when and where she was spotted on cameras:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

snipped...............................

Searchers looking for a missing Washington state woman and her 8-year-old son who haven't been seen since Saturday say that the road leading to the beach where her submerged minivan was recovered is heavily timbered and very difficult to find without knowing the area.

Olympia, Wash., police haven't ruled out foul play."I couldn't even find the access road, and it was light out," said Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Office. "You really have to know where it is. It's the kind of road you don't want to take because it's so steep and narrow."

"It's very rare for someone who doesn't know the area to wind up where her van wound up," Mealy said

snip.....................................

"We don't have a suspect because we don't know if it's a crime," said Mealy. "Our options are open. We're not saying it's foul play and we're not saying it's not, and we're not saying she didn't voluntary leave."

"We can't explain what the hell she was doing out there, if she was even out there at all," the lieutenant said.

Divers searched the waters for a second day Tuesday, but found nothing.

Asked whether it's possible that they got lost in the nearby woods, Mealy said that there are too many houses with porch lights on for them to not have been able to get help.

snip...........................................

Her bizarre journey is documented by a series of surveillance cameras. Smiley and her son were spotted just before 8 p.m. at a small mom and pop shop, the Handy Pantry Food Store in Olympia where surveillence video captures them making a purchase.

At 9:08 p.m. Smiley and her son pull into the Martin Way Diner where they ordered a corn dog to go. Surveillence video from the diner caught Smiley leaving the restaurant after paying, tripping and falling in the parking lot, and then getting up and driving away with her son
They never returned for the corn dog.

Mealy said surveillence video also recorded Smiley and her son on the northwest side of Olympia peering into the windows of the Gull Harbor Market at 9:55 p.m., which was closed.

Smiley and her son keep driving, but away from the freeway. At 10 p.m. Smiley knocked on the door of a private residence where an elderly couple invited her and her son in and allowed Smiley to use the phone.

"The elderly couple gives the kid a piece of pizza, and Smiley calls her grandfather and says that these people are going to give her directions and that she got lost, but will be on her way," said Mealy.

Mealy also said that Smiley told her grandfather that she had been in an accident, but that authorities are not sure if she is talking about falling in the diner parking lot or another accident that has not yet been discovered.

The directions the couple gave Smiley to get back to the freeway are "not at all complicated," according to Mealy, who said the freeway is very well lit and would have been hard to miss.

Instead of taking the couple's directions, Mealy goes the opposite direction, again being recorded on the surveillence camera of the closed market.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shantina-smileys-disappearance-stumps-cops/story?id=10116896&page=2

When she entered that Handy Mart and we see the video of her she looks really happy and she is smiling. Not sure that she looks drunk, but almost like she is not scared at all. It is weird.

Hmm he was making a repair to his motorcycle very near to where she was.

it really bothers me she has her eight year old son with her......that van ended up in a very way...way...way...off the path to getting back onto the freeway.....and to say she said she needed to pull off to get the boy something to eat.....there would have been many, many other options closer to off the freeway then where she ended up at....plus the fact she ordered and then left with out the food.....

But the waitress at the diner (post #4) did indicate she thought SS was drunk. I personally don't think RS is involved, but IF he is . . . I guess it's possible that he took the waitress' statement and decided to run with the "drunk" angle.

That said, why go to the trouble of that when you could just as easily run with the "head injury" angle? :waitasec:

sorry i meant the people at the house where she called from.....what did they say about her.....and her son....anything on the home owners yet?

maybe im confused....i thought i read she stopped at a house to use the phone...?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't read anything that the homeowner said anything about her drinking. And I notice RS didn't either.

Mike Galanos going to cover this story on HLN ,,5 eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member