WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always get more information when reading. If there is anyone else like me here, (I shutter:eek:), I have dictated the golakechelan interview with Sheriff Mike Harum. It appears to have posted at GLC website on March 30th, (unknown exactly when interview was recorded).

{My comments in blue}

I also attempted to italicize words that seemed to be stressed

Sheriff: {starting right in - the audio doesn't include the question} Well, they're continuing to due diligence on investigating that. A lot of new leads but nothing that has come to the conclusion of identifying a suspect and making an arrest. But the detectives work on it 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. And we are continuing to get some leads from the public through a lot of different avenues, obviously by phone and in person and as well as through the internet.

Reporter: I wanna ask about the internet in just a moment and social networking and the like. But in an investigation like this your always told, or {clinging coffee cup??} the community is told, "Gee we're awaiting lab work and da, da, dada." Lab work seems to take forever, how come?

Sheriff: Well, a lot of the lab work takes forever because of the complexity of the tests that they do. Now, we have had recently some great success with getting DNA returned to us in a speedy fashion because of the advances in technology there. Blood tests still take quite some time because they have to do certain tests to get that as well. What we do have to deal with at the state lab here in Washington is the backlog. Although this case is a priority, it still is in a list of other priorities throughout the state so we have to wait some times for our turn up to get the analysis done. We did get some evidence analyzed and returned to us. It didn't help us a whole lot. It does fit into the investigation to some degree, but as far as identifying a person that actually did this, it didn't do that yet. We are still waiting on some additional lab work that we are hoping to get back here in the next couple of weeks which may help us or may not help us... {reporter steps on last word(s)}

Reporter: In some instances deputies and/or folks from the Wenatchee Police Department who have been the lead, at least from a public relations standpoint on this, have been actually taking things, physically delivering things, trying to pick things up, speed the process up. It's going a long time.

Sheriff: Yes it has. It is frustrating but it is the process that we have to deal with. We have sent evidence over same day that we receive it and then go and pick it up when it's completed because that obviously speeds up the return for us. But a lot of things. Its a very complex investigation. We have 4 different agencies that are involved in it, that's why I created the task force to begin with when we originally got the call that she was hur.. she was missing. Umm so, and then of course finding her body in Douglas County is another issue in relationship to creating a multi-jurisdictional task force that helps us in hopefully concluding to an arrest. But these are very complex cases to investigate, especially when we don't have a witnesses. Obviously our only witness is MacKenzie Cowell who is dead. But as we look into these things, evidence that we look at is our witness to some degree. So, I think they've interviewed over 600 people now that may have something, or know something through this process. We are not prepared to identify anybody of interest yet or a suspect, but that's just part of these investigations. Again frustrating, as I'm sure it's very frustrating for the community to not have some resolution to this by now. But as I'm sure you are aware, as many in the public are aware, that some of these investigations go on for years before we are able to obtain enough to make an arrest.

Reporter: Its expensive.

Sheriff: It is very expensive. But, you know, that is what we are here to do. I do my best to try and reduce the cost as much as possible but we don't want to reduce the cost and jeopardize anything to do with the investigation. So we are doing our best to keep under those costs as well as making sure... {Reporter cutting him off}

Reporter: In some... in some instances investigations like this and homicide prosecution and on and on... have, I won't say bankrupt a county, but they've certainly not helped the bottom-line.

Sheriff: But there's some provisions at the state level that, you know if in fact we do get an arrest, the state will help us in assisting in covering the cost of the investigation as well as the prosecution. So, there is a fund available at the state level for capital crimes. So we have that to look forward to if in fact we do make an arrest.

Reporter: You mentioned social network, you mentioned the internet, social networking sites have obviously abound, they're prolific, people can post about whatever they want, certainly opinions, ideas, what... everybody... you know, 'there's as many out there as there are noses or more'. Is it a tool?

Sheriff: You know, it is a tool. You know, it's one of those advances that we've had in our society that actually we can utilize. Before this, before we had network, computers, and internet, we depended on the public to come forward with their tips and information in person or by phone. Now we have this other tool. I think that it does help. I know that the detectives are following many of these blogs and social networking programs and what not and looking at that. And we did receive some information from some of the assumption or predictions that were done on the internet. The other thing too is that as we look into these investigations, not this one so far, but a lot of times the suspect will be also on that social network as well. So it is beneficial. I think it's good for the public to have that ability to go in and, I guess, play detective if that's what they desire, but also to help us through the process of the investigation.

Reporter: It means that your people have to come up to speed on using all the tools.

Sheriff: {chuckling} Yeah.

Reporter: Which there was I think a little lag time for a period of time. I'm not saying with this situation but I think there was a lag time for awhile. And then you have other people saying "Gee whiz, the cops are sitting there on the computer playing games all day." Hmmm, bbfftt!

Sheriff: You know, you're right. I went to a computer forensic school here, boy it was about... 12 years ago now, obviously there has been tremendous advances since then, but you're right. There's a little bit of learning curve for our detectives as well as our deputies out there to learn what this is all about. You know, the facebooks, and the tweeters, and the myspace, and all these different things. There is... there is a lot of complexity there, as well as there is a lot of information and tools the can use in that respect. Our hope is that we continue to train our people to get to that expert level to do these investigations.

Reporter: From a prosecuturial standpoint, it's gotta be, you know, 'what is' and 'what isn't' admissible. That's a whole area that I've got no idea.

Sheriff: You know, that is a difficult part of the internet and whether or not we are able to utilize certain evidence that we get off the internet. I'll tell you a for instance, in this case we, we went after phone records and we had to get search warrants and subpoenas to get certain phone records. And again, they were very complex in that to determine whether or not MacKenzie Cowell's phone was used at a particular part of town, ummm... we were able to obtain that. And that was through some of the technology advances as well as some of the knowledge of those technology advances by a couple of the detectives that we have on the task force. Again, it's a great tool, but I think as far as the admissibility in court, so long as we follow the process accordingly we can use a lot of that evidence.

Reporter: I was lead to believe that some of the phone records that had been wanted were no longer around for one reason or the other. Not retrievable.

Sheriff: Well, that's some of the frustration that we had with one of the phone carriers here. We had sent what we call a preservation letter and a subpoena for the records. Preservation letter was to inform the carrier that we needed to preserve that evidence and that we did not want them to destroy it. They do that on a regular basis where they purge there records every 30 days, I believe it is, in some cases every 5 days. They neglected to do that so we lost some of this data that we hoping to get to determine where certain people were and when they used their phones, especially MacKenzie's phone. Some of the data was dumped, or purged, that we were certainly asking for. So we have some frustrations there with that particular carrier and I'll be taking that forward with the US Attorney as well as other jurisdictions, to make sure that that doesn't happen in the future. But we did lose some pretty critical evidence through that process.

Originally I thought it said:

--v
2 c 3

or

--v
S c 3

(with the --'s from me for filler), but now that you and others mention it, IMO it says:

--v
L o 3

and remember, kids and gangs use 3 for e. So IMO it DOES say LOVE.

Thanks, I can't find that post now w/ the thumbnail - marked it as #719 by you but must have got the # wrong.

The v in the top word is so distinctive, in small case. To me it looked like a big L with a big O proceeding the v. So I saw the top word as love even tho I missed the 3. PS: Thanks for the 3 for e info.

Has there been a FBI profile put out there yet?

After typing that out, I realize it wasn't an interview. The reporter only asked one question. It was a scripted verbal press release. Also, couple things that stand out...

While sheriff was campaigning for reelection it sounds like he almost said they got a call that MC was hurt:
"We have 4 different agencies that are involved in it, that's why I created the task force to begin with when we originally got the call that she was hur.. she was missing. Umm so, ..."

Took him a bit to get back on track there too??? LE never originally got a call that she was missing. They called RC and found that out, I thought??? Wierd...

Thanks, I can't find that post now w/ the thumbnail - marked it as #719 by you but must have got the # wrong.

The v in the top word is so distinctive, in small case. To me it looked like a big L with a big O proceeding the v. So I saw the top word as love even tho I missed the 3. PS: Thanks for the 3 for e info.

Here is the picture again. No I haven't seen an FBI profile.

Attachments

• Edited CB 009.jpg
    Edited CB 009.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 109

Ohh, now I see what you are seeing. That could be an O written on top of the L. In that case it would say

Ov
L3 (Love)

and what I thought was a c could even be a 1, which would make it

Ov
L13

So hard to tell. Why would someone spray paint yellow on anything, not to mention grass... not very much contrast. Strange.

After typing that out, I realize it wasn't an interview. The reporter only asked one question. It was a scripted verbal press release. Also, couple things that stand out...

While sheriff was campaigning for reelection it sounds like he almost said they got a call that MC was hurt:

Took him a bit to get back on track there too??? LE never originally got a call that she was missing. They called RC and found that out, I thought??? Wierd...

Awesome job, I know from the small portion I did that it's time consuming and irritating, LOL.

I noticed that slip as well but attributed it to just that. However, I suppose it could really be related.

We don't really know what order her being missing was reported in. I always assumed from reading between the lines of articles that the car was called in, then RC was called by LE and confirmed she was late for curfew. But in reality, we don't know this detail.

I have always wondered if it was a total and absolute fabrication by LE that no preliminary evidence was found in the car. Their immediate and very swift response speaks toward a fear of more than just a runaway or a partying teen. They said flat out that the situation did not look good, and the FBI was interviewing WC and JF fairly immediately even when she was technically just a missing person.

So I guess what I'm speculating is maybe the car did contain obvious evidence and thus the slip of her being "hurt?".

WOW, great catch Alt.theory and thanks for typing that all out for us.

Boy, it almost makes one wonder if they did get a call and were keeping that close to the vest when he blurbed it by accident. Just sayin'. The only one to know she was hurt would be her killer, right? Feeling remorse? Do we know how her body was found, posed, clothed? Didn't we read a comment in the paper saying her remains showed a brutal attack {SS} and this commenter warned the women of the Wenatchee area to protect themselves?

Hi again, One set of footprints leading away from the car . . . Do you think he killed her close to where she was found and then drove the car to a place he felt was far away enough from the body to where it would take some time to put it all together. Time enough for him to hike back to Wenatchee?

I haven't read all the posts yet but wanted the general thought about that.

I recommend that you read the previous threads on this one. Lots of good insight and local knowledge. I think it was James Vic that did a very detailed timeline of estimates to drive and walk various distances from PC to Wenatchee. pufnstuf has a post that has a great map with all points of interest. LE initially asked the public if anyone saw someone walking down two roads out of the canyon.

Here is the picture again. No I haven't seen an FBI profile.

Gosh, what an incredible photo! Thanks. One thing for sure is it looks like it says something, was done purposefully. I'd almost give my eye teeth to know what the investigators read in it. Was it found by the body or the car? Thanx

I recommend that you read the previous threads on this one. Lots of good insight and local knowledge. I think it was James Vic that did a very detailed timeline of estimates to drive and walk various distances from PC to Wenatchee. pufnstuf has a post that has a great map with all points of interest. LE initially asked the public if anyone saw someone walking down two roads out of the canyon.

Yea, You guys have been busy ;}

Gosh, what an incredible photo! Thanks. One thing for sure is it looks like it says something, was done purposefully. I'd almost give my eye teeth to know what the investigators read in it. Was it found by the body or the car? Thanx

It is at CB in the yard below the house. del rio posted an excellent picture of it and other points of interest. In his picture he labeled it "SLM", even though he admitted he couldn't really tell how many characters were there. Please remember my picture is edited. I used a graphics editor to diminish areas where I did not see yellow paint. ChuckMaureen or DogDad did that also and came up with something different "20 ft", so it is a subjective process for sure.

Del had an opinion as to whether those marks were put there before, during or after MC ended up there. I don't remember what he said.

LE, since you are listening, this is for you:

If you want to do a press release, why not just go directly to the public and post the press release on the sheriff's department website? Doing this verbal press release, under the disguise of news interview at GoLakeChelan is demeaning towards the citizens of this community.

Detective, deputy, whoever: with your boss's speech, he has either released something LE didn't want made public, (LE got a call that MC was hurt??? -- which sounds like your boss stated) or the sheriff's verbal press release has started another false RUMOR the entire community will be dealing with. (Was it MC that called saying she was hurt?)

Don't let your boss play games with this case again. If he feels like he must touch base with the public, (which I commend him for doing), tell him to write up a press release, get approval for it's release by the lawyers and the task force and then post it on the department's website. If you wanna play favorites with the media, send advanced copies to GoLakeChelan, (leave out the Wenatchee World if you are still in a tizzy).

The sheriff is not a member of the media and should not act out scripted interviews as if he is. (The clanging spoon on the coffee cup was a dead give away.)

Just my :twocents:

Oh, and GoLakeChelan, I view you as nothing more than a puppet for the sheriff - I hope that gets you all the advertising dollars you deserve.

While I can understand your points, I respectfully disagree. I thought it was a good interview and beneficial. I was impressed with the way the Sheriff handled the talk. Maybe some of it was scripted or discussed beforehand, but I would think that is normal to keep the discussion focused and within some frame work. Seemed OK to me.

Awesome job, I know from the small portion I did that it's time consuming and irritating, LOL.

I noticed that slip as well but attributed it to just that. However, I suppose it could really be related.

We don't really know what order her being missing was reported in. I always assumed from reading between the lines of articles that the car was called in, then RC was called by LE and confirmed she was late for curfew. But in reality, we don't know this detail.

I have always wondered if it was a total and absolute fabrication by LE that no preliminary evidence was found in the car. Their immediate and very swift response speaks toward a fear of more than just a runaway or a partying teen. They said flat out that the situation did not look good, and the FBI was interviewing WC and JF fairly immediately even when she was technically just a missing person.

So I guess what I'm speculating is maybe the car did contain obvious evidence and thus the slip of her being "hurt?".

BBM

This makes me think of the original 911 call that reported MC's car that said,

"10C01196 SUSPICIOUS 20:02:34 02/09/10 CORULLI DOUG ACT

xxxxxx

RED PONTIAC GRAND PRIX LIC/ NOBODY AROUND, HAS BEEN PARKED BY THE RP'S
FEEDLOT FOR THE LAST HOUR. HAS CHILDRENS CLOTHES IN THE BACK.
RP ADVISES THE VEHICLE IS APPROX 1 1/2 MILE UP THE CANYON, AND SAYS THERE IS A
..."

Snipped from http://www.mansontribune.com/content/view/1435/2/

The phrase "AND SAYS THERE IS A ..." at the end has always made me wonder what else was said. If MC was hurt, maybe there was evidence of that in or near the car?

If only we had the entire 911 transcript. It looks like many of the transcripts are incomplete. I wonder if it is possible to get the actual 911 call? IDK

BBM

xxxxxx

..."

The phrase "AND SAYS THERE IS A ..." at the end has always made me wonder what else was said. If MC was hurt, maybe there was evidence of that in or near the car?

If only we had the entire 911 transcript. It looks like many of the transcripts are incomplete. I wonder if it is possible to get the actual 911 call? IDK

Purse. Ithink this was quite a few threads back. But most felt it was a Purse that finshed this sentance.

BBM

xxxxxx

..."

Why was there "children's clothes" in the back?
Did MC have young brothers or sisters?

Excerpt from alt.theory transcript of Sheriff's interview:

"Sheriff: Well, they're continuing to due diligence on investigating that. A lot of new leads but nothing that has come to the conclusion of identifying a suspect and making an arrest. But the detectives work on it 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. And we are continuing to get some leads from the public through a lot of different avenues, obviously by phone and in person and as well as through the internet."

Maybe they lost their key POIs?
That's got to be frustrating.

Why was there "children's clothes" in the back?
Did MC have young brothers or sisters?

school, dancing, working she lived aways out of town. My kids leave home evryday with extra clothes. Someone posted earlier on this that kids clothes were proably dance outfits.

Well as far as the planets are concerned, I would think that there would be a treasure trove of information right now. Uranus, which rules among many things all forms of communication that come in the form of "tele" is so close to conjoining with MC's natal Mercury which rules communication. Unfortunately, Uranus is in Pisces which is nebulus. It moves close to exact alignment and switches signs, but not until the 29th of May. Then it will be in the sign of Aries (inspiration and action) at a critical degree of the zodiac. God, I hope it does not take that long for something to break in the way of information that will bring some kind of justice. I, for one truly hope that LE catches a break and obtains the information they need to make an arrest soon.

The figure eight doesn't really stick out to me as something that has to be connected to this. My house was vacant for a while before I bought it, and there were a lot of "donuts" and tracks in the snow in the back yard from snowmobiles. In fact, while we were looking out the back window we saw one of the neighbors zoom by. He was pretty surprised when he looked up and saw someone looking back at him through the window! I think a big open space like that is just tempting to people when a house is vacant. No one has gone through our back yard on snowmobiles since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle