Two year old in critical condition after shot by police

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23059174/detail.html

POSTED: Monday, April 5, 2010
UPDATED: 6:02 pm EDT April 5, 2010

Daniel Crichton is slowly recovering in a hospital after being shot twice.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A boy shot in his chest and arm by police is slowly recovering from his injuries.

Daniel Crichton, 2, has been in critical condition since March 26, when he was hit by police gunfire as officers were pursing a bank robbery suspect who carjacked the car Daniel's mother was driving.

Joann Cooper, Daniel's mother, was also shot by police in the foot but has since been released from the hospital.

Cooper said Daniel has taken a turn for the better. She said he has just started opening his eyes, and she thinks he's able to recognize her.

Cooper said her son is in and out of sleep and still breathing with the help of a respirator.

The article goes on to discuss the investigation of the shooting. Links to earlier articles at the bottom.

I feel just awful for that mother. Just thinking about how much it hurts my heart when my little 2 yo has bad teething pain or a deep cold... How does one deal with something like this? Best wishes to the little guy for his continued recovery and to the family.

I don't know what to think. My 1st reaction is that they felt the need to shoot at him for whatever reason. I wonder if it will go back to the bank & what was said/done there. 5 officers can't all be morons disregarding the rules about what to do in a situation like this; or can they?

I can imagine them fearing he will pull away; then there will be a car chase; and they may fear him shooting the kids.

Even if the mother was able to get away after knocking the gun, how is she getting her kids out?

I hate that the boy was shot; I can't imagine what the guy would have done had he moved the car out of Wendy's. Thankfully the boy should be fine; and the robber is dead.

I'm thinking the cops had no idea the kids were in the car.

They knew an innocent woman was in the car! Regardless of whether they knew a child was in the car or not, they knew they were putting an innocent life in danger when the shots began to be fired.

I don't know what to think. My 1st reaction is that they felt the need to shoot at him for whatever reason. I wonder if it will go back to the bank & what was said/done there. 5 officers can't all be morons disregarding the rules about what to do in a situation like this; or can they?

I can imagine them fearing he will pull away; then there will be a car chase; and they may fear him shooting the kids.

Even if the mother was able to get away after knocking the gun, how is she getting her kids out?

I hate that the boy was shot; I can't imagine what the guy would have done had he moved the car out of Wendy's. Thankfully the boy should be fine; and the robber is dead.

Why would the cops feel the need to shoot into the passenger compartment of the car, even if they needed to ensure the car did not leave the area? Couldn't they have shot the tires out? Their options were not limited to #1) shoot 42 times into the car or #2) allow a car chase to ensue.

I am really afraid that the reason they shot will boil down to bad judgment and adrenaline.

We are hearing more and more often of police officers lacking the common sense that a toad has. Remember the officers who shot a chihuahua because it had bitten someone, instead of throwing a blanket over the dog and calling animal control? Or the cops who tased a five year old because she wouldn't settle down in the principal's office? It is as though these officers believe force, even deadly force, has become their only option, and that is NOT acceptable!

I don't like coming down on the police. They are required in every situation to do the right thing and they are just human beings. They aren't paid enough and work long hours. If a mistake was made, its part of life and the challenges in it. I pray the child recovers and I pray the police can learn from this experience, but I don't like the calls for punishment of our police force who on any given moment are targets for insane people. If they were paid a living wage for the work they do, then we could expect more training, jmo.

Update today on this cutie pie. http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...-shot-jacksonville-police-continues-improving

snip~A 2-year-old Jacksonville boy shot March 26 as police were trying to stop a robbery/carjacking suspect is listed in fair condition this morning, hospital officials said.

Daniel Crichton continues his recovery after being initially hospitalized at Shands Jacksonville in critical condition with gunshots to the arm and chest. His mother, Joann Cooper, was shot in the foot and has been treated and released.

Daniel was wound in hail of 42 shots fired by five Jacksonville police officers as they tried to stop Jeremiah Mathis. Police said Mathis robbed a bank on Baymeadows Road and carjacked Cooper as she was in a Wendy's drive-through restaurant.~ end

Attachments

• met_DanielCrichton_1.jpg
    met_DanielCrichton_1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks so much for the update! I am so happy to hear that he is doing better. Poor boy! He's sooooo adorable!

Why would the cops feel the need to shoot into the passenger compartment of the car, even if they needed to ensure the car did not leave the area? Couldn't they have shot the tires out? Their options were not limited to #1) shoot 42 times into the car or #2) allow a car chase to ensue.

I am really afraid that the reason they shot will boil down to bad judgment and adrenaline.

We are hearing more and more often of police officers lacking the common sense that a toad has. Remember the officers who shot a chihuahua because it had bitten someone, instead of throwing a blanket over the dog and calling animal control? Or the cops who tased a five year old because she wouldn't settle down in the principal's office? It is as though these officers believe force, even deadly force, has become their only option, and that is NOT acceptable!

I wasn't clear on who was sitting where; and if the car was starting to pull away.

Honestly I don't know what the cops were thinking & I hope this was not adrenaline.

This story could be a lot worst where the guy took off and ended up running people off the road or hit others during a chase.

I'm glad I am not a cop. I would hate to be the one having to make the decision on what to do.

Glad to read the boy is doing better.

Elle's link has been updated, it now says the following:

2-year-old boy shot by Jacksonville police goes home; family retains law firm
Daniel Crichton discharged from Shands Jacksonville hospital; two officers off the street
Posted: April 7, 2010 - 11:35am

By Jim Schoettler
A 2-year-old Jacksonville boy shot March 26 as police were trying to stop a robbery/carjacking suspect has been discharged, a hospital official said Wednesday.

Three of the officers - Lt. Jesse York and Officers Jason Lederman and Richard Santaro - returned to street work Monday after being on routine administrative leave. The others - Officer Ryan Black and recruit Darries Griffith - have been assigned to desk duty. A police spokesman said no one from the Sheriff's Office was available to explain the job assignments.

Sheriff John Rutherford has scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon to give "a detailed explanation of the investigative processes - both criminal and administrative - that occur following an officer-involved shooting," according to a Sheriff's Office press release.

What good news on the little boy!

I do agree with his parents that a lawsuit should be brought against the department, I am happy a couple of officers have been taken off the street and curious as to why the other three are back on the streets. 42 shots into an occupied car couldn't have been done by only TWO of the officers!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back