WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Del Rio posted a picture he said was taken March 10th at 4 pm which shows the water level in front of the Crescent Bar property, (I've re-attached it below).

I've also attached from the same day the elevation levels of the water below Rock Island Dam, (12 miles north of the property), and for the Forebay of Wanapum Dam, (22 miles south). When the picture was taken, (4 pm according to del rio), there was less than a foot, (.59), difference between the top of the reservoir and the bottom, (plus there wasn't what I would call any type of "surge" happening in the prior 3 hours before del rio took the 4 pm picture). Therefore, my belief is that the water elevation at Crescent Bar when Del Rio took the below picture was within that .59 difference - more specifically at about 569.6 feet in elevation. (See second attachment)

There were more variables when MC's body was found, Feb. 13th. But it is likely the water level at the CB property when MC's body was found was a little less than 568 feet. I've attached the water levels from Feb. 13. (See third attachment)

If MC's feet were in the reservoir "water" when she was found, (approximate time 12:45 pm), then her body would have needed to be quite a ways out on the shoreline because the water level was likely a foot and half lower compared to Del Rio's picture below. Even in Del Rio's picture the body would have been quite visible, but on the day body found it would need to be even farther out to have feet in reservoir water.

All video news images from the Crescent Bar property were not taken on the day the body was found. Trying to use those later day images to judge where the body would be (and still have feet in the reservoir "water") would be extremely difficult. News images I've seen show the water level many feet higher than when the body was found.

Anyone who has seen a picture of the crime scene from Saturday, Feb. 13th, which shows the beach, PLEASE let me know!

Attachments

• March10.4pm.IMGP1386.jpg
    March10.4pm.IMGP1386.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 23
  • March 10 Water Elevations.jpg
    March 10 Water Elevations.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Feb.13.bodyfound.water.levels.jpg
    Feb.13.bodyfound.water.levels.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 17
Deleted as I found the info on pp #1 from Liz

Hi Liz, None of these links work, unfortunately. I'm wondering if what Sff Harem said is quoted in Puff's Timeline? Ta

According to the Sheriff of Douglas County's Employee List, Robbin Wagg is not the Undersheriff.

Listed as Undersheriff from the Sheriff's website:
DO2 UNDERSHERIFF D. CULP dculp@co.douglas.wa.us

However it is possible the list is not current. :waitasec:

I didn't take it as disrespectful, in any way, erok. :) I was just curious who you meant should be careful.

Politics aside, I'm grateful that Sheriff Harum spoke out! We need some factual info in this case. LE in Washington State are just a little too hush-hush, as far as I'm concerned. I think we need a little more :sunshine: in Washington state!
JMO, of course.

Hi Liz, We as posters want to know everything, and right now. :angel: At least Mackenzie has been found and that is major. The case is very young. I think we have to trust LE's quiet take on the case. It is evidently being done for a reason, and the strategy put together by the 'combined LE forces' must be what they jointly believe will have the best chance in solving the case. IMO xox

I am as frustrated as anybody but I do get it.

I believe LE knows WHO did it, I believe LE knows HOW they did it, I even believe LE my know WHY they did it.

I also believe that everything they have is based on circumstantial evidece. You can get a conviction based on that but you better have alot of it.

My hope is, thats all we are waitin on

I agree. An interesting turn in the Caylee Anthony case recently. Jailhouse letters show her mother, Casey Anthony had prior knowledge to the circumstances surrounding Caylee's death, ie; she was found in a garbage bag, with a baby blanket. All we can hope for is that LE finds some damning evidence to convict the perp(s) who did this to MC.http://www.aolnews.com/article/damaging-jailhouse-letters-released-in-casey-anthony-case/19429831?flv=1

MACKENZIE COWELL TIMELINE
Confirmed Info Only - No Rumors​

09 February 2010 (Tuesday):

3:01 PM - Mackenzie leaves the Academy of Hair Design where she works for a 15 minute break, gets in her car, and drives away. She is supposed to only be gone for a fifteen-minute break, according to flyers being posted at businesses in Wenatchee, but she never returns.

3:40 PM - Mackenzie's phone data indicate that her phone is at/near the Riverfront Park boat ramp. While there, the phone receives an incoming text ("hey") and replies with the same message ("hey").

5:42 PM - A cell tower bounces a signal off of MacKenzie's phone. This is the final activity on McKenzie's phone. Location has not been released by investigators.

8:02 PM - Residents report to Rivercom finding a 1997 red Pontiac Grand Prix in Squilchuck area, 2395 Pitcher Canyon Road, parked near a cattle gate, and they tell deputies the car had been there for the previous hour. LE uses the registration info on the car to identify Reid Cowell as the owner, who confirms that his daughter has been out past curfew. One set of foot prints led away from the locked car toward road asphalt. "Somebody got the car there and parked it without anybody knowing about it.” Mackenzie's purse was inside the car, but her cell phone, debit card with $20 on it, and gas card were missing. Initially, Washington State Crime Lab processed the car, but found no indication of anything unusual, and computers at both parents' residences were checked with nothing unusual found. Later, local press says that some evidence has been discovered in the car and sent to the State Crime Lab.

11 February 2010 (Thursday):

FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment agents arrive Thursday afternoon to aid in the search for Mackenzie.

12 February 2010 (Friday):

Investigators fax warrants to Facebook, Myspace, and Verizon. A team of 10 detectives search the Pitcher Canyon area and interview and re-interviewing all of Mackenzie's friends and family. Mackenzie's mother and the mother's boyfriend are also being interviewed by the FBI.

13 February 2010 (Saturday):

Mackenzie's body is found near the Columbia River at 156 Crescent Bar Road just inside Douglas County by someone walking along the beach. She was fully clothed and her feet were in the water. The Chelan County Sheriff's spokesman said "It appears she was put there by someone....We've got to find this monster. Anybody who is willing to take a child and commit a crime with that child is a monster." Investigators find evidence of homicide at the scene and inside the vacant home. FBI profilers arrive late Saturday to assist with the investigation.

Sometime on the 13th: Jerry Moore from Chelan County does a radio interview in which he states that 3:15PM, Feb 9, was the last time anyone "heard from Mackenzie." He also says that the Douglas County Sheriff is responsible for gathering information from Myspace, Facebook, Verizon, Google, and other internet/phone providers used by Mackenzie.

15 February 2010 (Monday):

A task force made up of local law enforcement and FBI is formed to investigate circumstances surrounding Mackenzie's death. Mackenzie's mother tells NWCN (see video) that she's been instructed by investigators not to discuss the investigation with media.

16 February 2010 (Tuesday):

An autopsy performed by Dr. Gina Fino and witnessed by Dr Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, and a State Patrol Crime Laboratory’s forensics team confirms that the body is that of Mackenzie Cowell. The autopsy also revealed that her death was a homicide, but the cause of death has not yet been released. Autopsy results will not be released until the person responsible is identified and charged.

Investigators ask that anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon on South Methow Street or Squilchuck Highway between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, call the tip line. Captain Jones of the task force looking into 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell's death said the person who left Cowell's car in the canyon where it was later found likely walked on one of those two roads afterward.

18 February 2010 (Thursday):

Investigators released video footage of the last known sighting of homicide victim Mackenzie Cowell in a Wenatchee-owned parking lot in the hope that someone saw the teenager or her red 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.

As law enforcement officials advise women to walk in pairs and be more aware of their surroundings, local gun stores report a spike in sales of tasers, mace, and handguns.

22 February 2010 (Monday):

1:36 AM - Someone at Mackenzie's mother's residence calls 911 to report "harassment/threat."

Police scale back task force and await DNA and fingerprint results from state crime lab. Evidence was collected from the Crescent Bar location and from Mackenzie's car. Wenatchee Police Sgt. Cherie Smith said, "But we still don’t know where she was killed,” Smith said. “So we may have another crime scene at some point.”

25 February 2010 (Thursday):

Memorial service is held for Mackenzie Cowell at Wenatchee Town Toyota Center. 1800 people attend. Mackenzie is remembered as "a bright, energetic girl who endured heartless teasing through much of her adolescence because of an underbite. She persevered, however, eventually becoming prom queen." Mackenzie's mother, maternal grandfather, father, father's fiance, two brothers, and boyfriend attend the memorial. Noticeably absent is Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend. Mackenzie's brother Trevor made the family's first statement to the media: "It's incredible. It meant the world to me because we all loved her. And that's what this all shows is how much everybody loves her."

26 February 2010 (Friday):

Task force states that cell phone data places Mackenzie Cowell’s phone near a Wenatchee boat launch on Feb. 9, the day she disappeared.

01 March 2010 (Monday):

The Cowell Task Force believes that Mackenzie's phone is a key piece of evidence and asks the public to call the tip line if it is found. The phone is a maroon LG EnV2.

03 March 2010 (Wednesday):

A local task force continues to work full-time on the Mackenzie Cowell murder case. Chelan County has four deputies and two administrative assistants assigned to the task force. Douglas County has four detectives, Wenatchee Police has three officers and East Wenatchee police has one officer assigned to the case. The FBI, U.S. Marshal’s Office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are assisting the Cowell Task Force.

05 March 2010 (Friday):

Local businesspeople unite and announce the creation of a new reward fund to help find Mackenzie's killer. The group, Wenatchee Valley Citizens Against Crime, has pledged $38000 to be added to the existing $7000 reward fund in the event that someone provides a tip that leads to a conviction of Mackenzie's murderer. “This case broke the camel’s back. For this one, we said, ‘Enough is enough. We want this valley to be a safe place.'"

12 March 2010 (Friday) :

Against the wishes of the Cowell Task Force, the Wenatchee World publishes Mackenzie's cause of death which was on the death certificate. The World withheld the cause of death for two weeks in accordance with the task force's wishes, but today published the information, as they've always published death certificate information related to murders and saw no reason to make an exception in this case.

Though the task force is tight-lipped in response to the World reporter's many questions about the circumstances of Mackenzie's death, several details emerge. Eight lie detector tests have been administered, though the task force refuses to say to whom. Numerous properties have been searched, though the task force will not identify them. Most important, the task force has not yet found the site where Mackenzie was killed.

15 March 2010 (Sunday):

Wenatchee World article about Crimestoppers Reward Fund. The ex-husband and father of Jack Owen Spillman III's victims has donated a substantial amount to the reward fund. Coincidentally, Wendy Cowell's boyfriend JF was married to Spillman's sister at the time of the murders and was called to testify at the trial. JF's second wife Mae was JOS's older sister. Spillman's address

22 March 2010 (Sunday):

KOZI radio interview with task force spokesman (podcast here; informal transcript here) reveals that the case is not cold yet, that the task force has not received any complete lab results and are awaiting more forensics results from the crime lab, that the task force has been thorough in interviewing and eliminating people, starting with those closest to MC and working outward. The most substantial bit of info was that the task force has no eye-witnesses placing Mackenzie at the boat ramp at the time that her boyfriend received the 3:24 "hey" text message. The spokesman stated that the Wenatchee World may have harmed the state's case against any future suspect by removing the cause of death information from the investigators' "tool box."

26 March 2010 (Friday, 7:30 PM - Midnight):

A dance was held at the Volcano Club's ballroom for Mackenzie Cowell, to "help raise money for the funds needed to catch her killer, and to go to the Mackenzie Cowell Memorial Fund." The dance was "headed up" by Wenatchee photographer Joshua Lusk. The event's admission was $10. It was attended by 450 people and raised almost $3000. It is not clear to exactly which fund(s) the money went, however.

30 March 2010 (Tuesday):

Sheriff Mike Harum of Douglas County provides case updates. He says that leads are still coming in, but that nothing has panned out yet. Investigators are working seven days a week on the case. Lab work takes awhile; however, DNA has already come back. There is a backlog of cases at the state lab. There is still bloodwork that needs to be analyzed, but it's in the backlog. Hopefully those results will be back in the next couple of weeks. Four different agencies are involved in the Task Force: Chelan Co., Douglas Co., FBI, and ICE. Over 600 people have been interviewed. "We're not prepared to identify a person of interest now, or a suspect." To read alt.theory's full transcript of this interview, click HERE.

CLICK HERE to see a map of points of interest in the Mackenzie Cowell investigation.

WHO'S WHO IN THE MACKENZIE COWELL MURDER INVESTIGATION:

MC - Mackenzie Nicole Cowell; decedant. 17 years old. Attended Wenatchee High School and Academy of Hair Design. Dancer with the Apple-ettes. Also took dance lessons and worked out at Gold's Gym.
WC - Wendy Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's mother; real estate agent and home builder; divorced from RC since 2001, now dating JF.
RC - Reid Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's father; construction industry; divorced from WC since 2001, now dating SF.
JF - Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend; construction industry; rumored to have been living with WC while married to/separated from another woman; was a witness in the trial of infamous murderer Jack Owen Spillman III; was married to JOS's sister at the time of JOS's arrest for the gruesome murders of a mother and daughter. Built WC's spec house located at 3635 Ridgeview Blvd, Wenatchee.
SF - Mackenzie's father's fiancee. (She is in no way related to JF.)
JV - Mackenzie's 21-year-old boyfriend.

BIT PLAYERS IN THE MACKENZIE COWELL CASE

BC - guy from Tacoma on whose FB page MC posted "mmmm u look good! :) sorry for everything." Date of FB post is January 26.
VDD - When Mackenzie was 12, WC took out a restraining order against VDD, who was 17 years old at the time.
JL - photographer in Wenatchee who seems to have inserted himself into the case, possibly for publicity for his fledgling photography business. "Headed up" the dance for Mackenzie that was held on March 26, 2010.
DFD and KMA - two women who post on their facebooks. Supposedly, KMA has a friend associated with the investigation who is feeding her info. She gives the info to DFD, who posts it publicly on her facebook wall.

Law Enforcement Officers Involved in This Case:

NEED TO FILL IN

If you have ANY information
about the murder of MacKenzie Cowell please call:
ANONYMOUS TIP LINE - 509-667-6848
Task Force Command Center - 509-888-4226
Public Tip Line - 509-663-9911

This timeline is a work in progress. If you have information to add to it or corrections to note, please PM me with the addition/correction and source link. I don't use Examiner as a source, because, quite frankly, our work is more investigative than the Examiner, and based on the same sources. Corrections may not appear until the next posting of the timeline, which I always try to insert on page 1 of any new thread about Mackenzie. Thanks for the teamwork in making this timeline a primary guide to the MC case!

I am as frustrated as anybody but I do get it.

I believe LE knows WHO did it, I believe LE knows HOW they did it, I even believe LE my know WHY they did it.

I also believe that everything they have is based on circumstantial evidece. You can get a conviction based on that but you better have alot of it.

My hope is, thats all we are waitin on

I was able to confirm again that LE is holding steady and tight-lipped about the case. This is far from a cold case but they are still gathering what they need to ensure a solid case. Information leaks (by a Sheriff and local media) are only hurting the investigation and are making things difficult. I wasn't able to get much more than that from my source.

Can anybody verify whether or not WC and/or JF own a red Toyota P/U or a black GMC Sierra P/U?

WC - both. Toyota older model, GMC early 2000 or later? Also, WC used to drive a newer model black Lexus Coupe. Perhaps that was traded in to get JF the truck? Anybody seen the Lexus lately?

"........ these are very complex cases to investigate, especially WHEN WE DON'T HAVE WITNESSES, obviously our only witness is Macenzie Cowell who is dead ,but as we look into these things, evidence that we LOOK at is our witness to some degree.....so I think they have interviewed over 600 people now who may have something or know something through this process...... We are NOT PREPARED TO IDENTIFY ANYBODY OF INTEREST YET OR A SUSPECT BUT thats just part of theses investigations..."

Thots:
1) Dont have any witnesses, except for Mackenie Cowell. IMO This sounds like LE may believe there was only one murderer? That kinda rules out a gang theory to me...IDK

snipped

Good catch. Also, maybe LE have found the murder scene and know the location where she was killed doesn't include the possibility of ANY witnesses? Inside a house/garage?

I agree. An interesting turn in the Caylee Anthony case recently. Jailhouse letters show her mother, Casey Anthony had prior knowledge to the circumstances surrounding Caylee's death, ie; she was found in a garbage bag, with a baby blanket. All we can hope for is that LE finds some damning evidence to convict the perp(s) who did this to MC.http://www.aolnews.com/article/damaging-jailhouse-letters-released-in-casey-anthony-case/19429831?flv=1

Hey, hot mama...

Have those letters been released yet? I've been dying to read them.

Ha, I wasn't the only one who didn't know for sure what SSL was. Now, with 2 different references, I am still not sure. :(

SSL sweet & sour lollipops :p

Just kidding. I think SSL is a gang in Wenatchee. I'm not a gang expert, so I can't tell you anything about the gang.

I was able to confirm again that LE is holding steady and tight-lipped about the case. This is far from a cold case but they are still gathering what they need to ensure a solid case. Information leaks (by a Sheriff and local media) are only hurting the investigation and are making things difficult. I wasn't able to get much more than that from my source.

I agree Erok... The Chelan County Sherriff seems perfectly happy to use this case as a re-election platform despite the fact that he knows nothing about it, has done nothing to help it and in general has only created negative press about it. Way to go Mike

What is SSL?

South Side Locos is a gang. In the area I have also heard/seen it tagged as South Side LOCALS. Interestingly, if you search them, they are connected with several Machete attacks.

I agree Erok... The Chelan County Sherriff seems perfectly happy to use this case as a re-election platform despite the fact that he knows nothing about it, has done nothing to help it and in general has only created negative press about it. Way to go Mike

Yeah.. I am sure he'll release more critical info and blow the whole case... :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998