Armchair psychology - How many of these traits fit Misty?

Armchair psychology - Could Misty be a sociopath?

• Yes, I think she might be

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • No, I don't think she has any mental issues

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • No, but I think she has BPD or some other mental issue

Votes: 46 30.5%
  • Not sure what to think

Votes: 31 20.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
We've had a psych thread, but this one is going to focus on the possibility that Misty is a sociopath. Please don't come into the discussion deciding that this is the issue with her. Instead, look at the basic traits, view the rest of the link, and state which issues seem to fit or not fit what we know about Misty and why.

# Glibness and Superficial Charm

# Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

# Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

# Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

# Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

# Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

# Incapacity for Love

# Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

# Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

# Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

# Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

# Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

# Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

# Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

# Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

<snipped> http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

If there is a lot of input into this discussion, I'll add a poll after some ideas are discussed as to whether having gathered these thoughts, we think she is a sociopath or not.

IMO, Misty fits this:

Antisocial Personality Disorder Overview (Written by Derek Wood, RN, BSN, PhD Candidate)

Antisocial Personality Disorder results in what is commonly known as a Sociopath. The criteria for this disorder require an ongoing disregard for the rights of others, since the age of 15 years. Some examples of this disregard are reckless disregard for the safety of themselves or others, failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, deceitfulness such as repeated lying or deceit for personal profit or pleasure, and lack of remorse for actions that hurt other people in any way. Additionally, they must have evidenced a Conduct Disorder before the age of 15 years, and must be at least 18 years old to receive this diagnosis.

Good article by the way Kimster, Thank you!

People with this disorder appear to be charming at times, and make relationships, but to them, these are relationships in name only. They are ended whenever necessary or when it suits them, and the relationships are without depth or meaning, including marriages. They seem to have an innate ability to find the weakness in people, and are ready to use these weaknesses to their own ends through deceit, manipulation, or intimidation, and gain pleasure from doing so.

They appear to be incapable of any true emotions, from love to shame to guilt. They are quick to anger, but just as quick to let it go, without holding grudges. No matter what emotion they state they have, it has no bearing on their future actions or attitudes.

They rarely are able to have jobs that last for any length of time, as they become easily bored, instead needing constant change. They live for the moment, forgetting the past, and not planning the future, not thinking ahead what consequences their actions will have. They want immediate rewards and gratification.

Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests?

IMHO. That one for certain doesn't apply to Misty..

Looking over the criteria, she qualifies to be counted as a fit, but so does Ron C and his momma..JMO

# Pathological Lying
# Shallow Emotions
# Need for Stimulation

In my assessment she meets most of the critera.
I did not choose the glibness and superficial charm. I see Misty as almost flat without a personality.

I did not chose incapacity to love. Maybe, but I don't know if she is incapable of loving or if it is that culture, upbringing and experiences just haven't provided her with an opportunity to really understand what love is.

I didn't chose Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility. I see Misty as not being bright enough to do this. Now given more years and more practice she could well develop this ability.

Those I have highlighted in red I feel the most strongly represent who Misty is as a person.

Kimster great question . I felt like I was doing homework . :floorlaugh:

I haven't heard anything about Misty being a big liar except for accusations when it concerns her brother, and haven't heard of her being very manipulative or even overly dramatic yet. I think she got into drugs, had a bad family influence, and got into the wrong crowd but don't think she's a psychopath or mentally ill.

I dunno Kim. A picture of Ronald Cummings is all that I see missing from your sociopath description.

- covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

- Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

- a complex belief about their own powers and abilities.

- Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims.

- A deep seated rage

- remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person.

- Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal.

- Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

- "gets by" by conning others.

- Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

- poor work ethic

- Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution.

Let's see....entitled....accomplices....deep seated rage....blames others....verbal outbursts....poor work ethic....avoids prosecution....DON'T TELL ME, let me figure it out myself. The name's on the tip of my tongue.....

I don't know what you would label Misty, but I don't think sociopath fits her.

I haven't heard anything about Misty being a big liar except for accusations when it concerns her brother, and haven't heard of her being very manipulative or even overly dramatic yet. I think she got into drugs, had a bad family influence, and got into the wrong crowd but don't think she's a psychopath or mentally ill.

I believe her when she says she would never hurt Haleigh. I believe her when she says she loves children. Heck, I think the entire Croslin clan loves children. I believe Hank was genuinely angry and hurt over being told he couldn't visit his grandchildren. Maybe I'm just a softy, but I do feel love in that family.

I would say BPD as I have for MONTHS and given that...

LIKE attracts LIKE so I could be wrong. ;) That list is, IMO, the clinical on her ex-husband. JMO. MOO etc...

We've had a psych thread, but this one is going to focus on the possibility that Misty is a sociopath. Please don't come into the discussion deciding that this is the issue with her. Instead, look at the basic traits, view the rest of the link, and state which issues seem to fit or not fit what we know about Misty and why.

# Glibness and Superficial Charm

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

# Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

# Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

# Incapacity for Love

# Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

<snipped> http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

Misty appears to meet all these traits of a sociopath with the exception of being able to "pass a LDT".

IMO, Misty fits this:

Antisocial Personality Disorder Overview (Written by Derek Wood, RN, BSN, PhD Candidate)

Antisocial Personality Disorder results in what is commonly known as a Sociopath. The criteria for this disorder require an ongoing disregard for the rights of others, since the age of 15 years. Some examples of this disregard are reckless disregard for the safety of themselves or others, failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, deceitfulness such as repeated lying or deceit for personal profit or pleasure, and lack of remorse for actions that hurt other people in any way. Additionally, they must have evidenced a Conduct Disorder before the age of 15 years, and must be at least 18 years old to receive this diagnosis.

Good article by the way Kimster, Thank you!

People with this disorder appear to be charming at times, and make relationships, but to them, these are relationships in name only. They are ended whenever necessary or when it suits them, and the relationships are without depth or meaning, including marriages. They seem to have an innate ability to find the weakness in people, and are ready to use these weaknesses to their own ends through deceit, manipulation, or intimidation, and gain pleasure from doing so.

They appear to be incapable of any true emotions, from love to shame to guilt. They are quick to anger, but just as quick to let it go, without holding grudges. No matter what emotion they state they have, it has no bearing on their future actions or attitudes.

They rarely are able to have jobs that last for any length of time, as they become easily bored, instead needing constant change. They live for the moment, forgetting the past, and not planning the future, not thinking ahead what consequences their actions will have. They want immediate rewards and gratification.

Now this fits Ron Cummings to a big "T".

I don't think she fits the sociopath profile. Especially on the emotional part. While I'm sure there are people who she could care less about, there are also those she most likely cares deeply for.

And I'm not buying Misty as a pathological liar. She's not good at it at all.

It would have been nice to be able to observe some of her regular behaviors- before anything at all happened. Without that, you really don't know a whole person. JMO

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. (Uses Haleigh's disappearance to give herself celebrity status)

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right." (Letter to the governor?)

# Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests. (No need to explain)

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way. (I'm just not sure about this one, but I included it because she has shown some rage away from the cameras. Not for Haleigh, however. :()

# Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.(I added this one because she was so "in love" with Ron that she put a tattoo on her back and yet when her mom said Ron didn't care about her she brushed it off like it doesn't matter)

# Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common. (Added for the promiscuity factor)

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them. (Added because of her seemingly lack of concern for Haleigh. I don't go for the way she pushes the tears out and uses her whiny voice. She was REALLY CRYING when she went to jail and when she was robbed. We can see the difference.)

Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc. (She doesn't seem to keep her friends, so I added this one)

Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.(For not accepting blame for being the one in charge when Haleigh went missing. I would be devastated by this!)

Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.(For promiscuity)

Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.('nuff said)

Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily. (Changes life story readily to avoid prosecution...)

Even though I see Misty in all of the above, I don't really consider her a sociopath like I see Casey Anthony or Diane Downs as sociopaths. It would be interesting to know if there are "degrees" for these personality types? Does anyone know?

And now I'm going to add the poll. :)

I think Misty is a very immature teenager, who suffers from a lack of education & coping skills. I think she was victimized as a child, & learned to disconnect from problems & I think this is why she seems shallow. She chooses to NOT FACE NEGATIVITY, & since her life is full of nothing but negativity right now, she resides in la la land. I think she lets men & other adults use her, because being victimized is the norm for her. So, when Ron hired 2 lawyers, to her 0, & she flippantly popped off, that innocent people didn't need lawyers, she didn't realize that she was being victimized & left in the dust. She said that Ronald wasn't calling her the 'dumb bi**h', but was referring to the 911 operator. He obviously gave her that glib explanation, & she bought it. She has very little reasoning skills, & doesn't see farther into the future, than the front of her face. Promiscuous? Yes, but most molest survivors are. The same with the drug use. Plus, she was raised in a home, where drugs weren't the exception to the rule. I think most of her control problems, stem from lax parenting, as does her lack of life plan & parasitic lifestyle. Her whole family lives like that. As for being manipulative? no more than the average teenager, especially one who was deprived as a child & has been fending for herself. I do see her as being easily manipulated. As for lack of remorse shame or guilt? I don't know about that one.

I think Misty has Borderline personality disorder and huge a$$ entitlement issues.

I think Misty is a very immature teenager, who suffers from a lack of education & coping skills. I think she was victimized as a child, & learned to disconnect from problems & I think this is why she seems shallow. She chooses to NOT FACE NEGATIVITY, & since her life is full of nothing but negativity right now, she resides in la la land. I think she lets men & other adults use her, because being victimized is the norm for her. So, when Ron hired 2 lawyers, to her 0, & she flippantly popped off, that innocent people didn't need lawyers, she didn't realize that she was being victimized & left in the dust. She said that Ronald wasn't calling her the 'dumb bi**h', but was referring to the 911 operator. He obviously gave her that glib explanation, & she bought it. She has very little reasoning skills, & doesn't see farther into the future, than the front of her face. Promiscuous? Yes, but most molest survivors are. The same with the drug use. Plus, she was raised in a home, where drugs weren't the exception to the rule. I think most of her control problems, stem from lax parenting, as does her lack of life plan & parasitic lifestyle. Her whole family lives like that. As for being manipulative? no more than the average teenager, especially one who was deprived as a child & has been fending for herself. I do see her as being easily manipulated. As for lack of remorse shame or guilt? I don't know about that one.

:clap: :clap:

I'm not a psychiatrist nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I just don't see the coldness in Misty that I would expect from a sociopath (like Casey Anthony/Scott Peterson). I don't believe that her emotions are shallow, though she does use them to manipulate. And, though she does fancy herself to be a celebrity and her sense of entitlement is incredible (which I attribute to her attempting to gain some power in a situation in which she is powerless), I don't think she has an obsession with controlling her self-image like a narcissist would.

I think she's just an insecure, sad girl with very low self-esteem who is extremely manipulative. She's borderline, IMO. :cow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle