NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had an organizational neighborhood watch meeting in December, and a police officer reviewed all 911 calls in the past year for our area (initiated because of thefts in 5 points) ...everything was very minor, no major issues. In fact if you look on the News&Observer crime map, our whole section of town has very little criminal activity. In terms of what people are saying, they are asking the same questions you are and we would like to think that it's not random, but I personally just don't know. I do know that the house was left unlocked often and that it was not a forced entry. Nothing stands out to me as a reason that house would be targeted, other than the fact that it was often empty and unlocked.

In the first 25-30 seconds of that 911 call DH says - I've been here with her.

Why? Because that's what SHE wanted to convey in that call.

If I call 911, I say I need help, my father was injured horribly by the tractor. I don't say I've been here with him and he was horribly injured by the tractor.

/

Did the killer see D? Probably not.
Did she see the killer? In retrospect, she 'thinks' she may have heard or seen the killer.

Yea, the whole story is weird.....so is D.
Telling such a sketchy story just proves more to me she had nothing to do with this in any way. If she did, she would have concocted something that was 1/2 way believable.

Not so fast though. Within 60 mins of her 911 call she told the Hospital she thought he sister had been raped.

Per the Family (which was DH) they told medical personnel she thought she had been raped. The medical personnel said the physical exam matched up and they placed the call.

/

The house with the break-in (Andrews) was across the street from JG's place.

That's what was reported.

I am speaking of the apt house or residences on the same side as 2710 Cartier
before you get to 2710 if you come in direct from Oberlin.

Thanks

They are condos that were previously apartments, now for sale...if I am thinking of the same ones (yellow), then I think there is a privately owned house before you get to JG's, as well as a driveway that leads down to the brick apartments that have access to GV.

I thought it was strange that Geil's house had no garage. I wonder how long he had lived there. At any rate, I'm glad there's someone on patrol in the neighborhood.

Being as it is a wooded area and even looks like it goes down into a ravine or ditch in the front, the front of the house being so wooded and below street level gives a lot of cover to a burglar. I just hope they catch the monster that did this to Kathy.

I did see on another board someone mentioned that John Geil had been out of town for some time. Does anyone know how true that is? With all the break-ins lately, someone could have been watching the house and planning on a break-in. I just can't figure out why they'd do it with Kathy's car in the driveway.

There was money in that house. There was a big White Lexus SUV in the driveway right on the street. There were some valuables in that house.
It's really hard to make an argument that person that entered the house was a burglar or was interested in material things.

/

Did the killer see D? Probably not.
Did she see the killer? In retrospect, she 'thinks' she may have heard or seen the killer.

Yea, the whole story is weird.....so is D.
Telling such a sketchy story just proves more to me she had nothing to do with this in any way. If she did, she would have concocted something that was 1/2 way believable.

But if she did have something to do with Kathy's murder, and she has concocted this story ... well, it worked in her favor, with you. You believe she is innocent because if she was guilty she would have come up with a halfway believable story.

Maybe she is hoping RPD feels the same.

JMO

I am sorry, but WHO on the planet EARTH, thinks they see a random stranger in the home they are staying in running up or down the stairs, gets up and looks outside, doesn't see them anymore, and then GOES BACK TO SLEEP???? Not even Hulk Hogan or Mr. T would do that. Even they would call 911 and report that someone was, or might have been, or they think they saw, someone in their house. That is absolutely insane. And for a WOMAN to just blow that off and not do anything about that...I find that incredibly hard to swallow. In fact, this is the most outrageous thing I've heard yet. I don't care how messed up you are on whatever it is you are on, you would be scared as hell and not able to go back to sleep. You would run to your sister's room, lock the door and call the cops. I just can not wrap my mind around this one.

Although ... IF I were her, and I was setting up the killing of my sister, I'd make a point of being seen on a date-stamped video during the murder. Just in case they were able to narrow down the time of death to hour and minutes.

I wouldn't put myself in the house, sleeping on the couch.

The DNA did not belong to the neighbors they tested (what about those who did not volunteer? Are they going to get subpoenas?) It also did not belong to anyone in the system.

I wonder if the statistics will prove accurate in this case, and it is a teen. If it was a teen, and LE took DNA from his father, would they be able to compare that DNA with the killer's and know that DNA was from a male relative of the (teen) killer?

Does this mean they also have not ruled out that she was NOT the victim of a random attack?

Police remain tight-lipped about their investigation, saying only that they have not ruled out the possibility that Taft was the victim of a random attack.

If she was so wasted and :tipsy::tipsy: how did she just happen to pull herself out of her passed-out stupor to see someone on the stairs or hear footsteps?

We had an organizational neighborhood watch meeting in December, and a police officer reviewed all 911 calls in the past year for our area (initiated because of thefts in 5 points) ...everything was very minor, no major issues. In fact if you look on the News&Observer crime map, our whole section of town has very little criminal activity. In terms of what people are saying, they are asking the same questions you are and we would like to think that it's not random, but I personally just don't know. I do know that the house was left unlocked often and that it was not a forced entry. Nothing stands out to me as a reason that house would be targeted, other than the fact that it was often empty and unlocked.

So before this crime occurred at this home, there's no record of it being broken into for at least the past year, even though it could have been a easy target for a burglar since the place was usual unlock and vacant for periods of time, someone living close by or new of the neighborhood and about the house being vacant would have perhaps made a burglar to target this house? but with Ks car being there, there was a chance the person whom did this knew that someone may be inside?
The murder weapon, as far as i know, has not been found or determined what was used in the attacked. With no forced entry, as you said, they may have just went around back and entered into a unlocked door or first floor window, but more then likely it was a unlocked door. Im not going to agree with the random theory until they prove that to be the case.
Whomever did this knew D or K or the tax and divorce attorney.
there was some interaction with one or more in the past, short or long time........DO you know, if LE there, has looked into the attorneys past cases, to see if anything hostile was developed through a divorce preceding, any mad clients perhaps, whom thought they was done wrong?

I am sorry, but WHO on the planet EARTH, thinks they see a random stranger in the home they are staying in running up or down the stairs, gets up and looks outside, doesn't see them anymore, and then GOES BACK TO SLEEP???? Not even Hulk Hogan or Mr. T would do that. Even they would call 911 and report that someone was, or might have been, or they think they saw, someone in their house. That is absolutely insane. And for a WOMAN to just blow that off and not do anything about that...I find that incredibly hard to swallow. In fact, this is the most outrageous thing I've heard yet. I don't care how messed up you are on whatever it is you are on, you would be scared as hell and not able to go back to sleep. You would run to your sister's room, lock the door and call the cops. I just can not wrap my mind around this one.

I agree. I wonder if she is known to be a liar about other things. I have known people over the years who everybody learns to be a liar. I did some research on the topic. They lie chronically about anything and everything. Some lie when the truth would help them. LOL This is a southern saying we use here. I just wonder if this is normal for D. (Not to say she is lying now, it's just some things aren't adding up.)

I agree that her story is unbelievable as all-get-out.

IF we believe she did drugs before going out at 11, was out drinking until 2 a.m., came home and passed out on the couch ... she may not have believed the person she saw was real but was part of a drug-induced hallucination?

But believing she was in that state makes it hard for me to believe she actually got up and listened in on Kathy too ...

:waitasec::banghead::waitasec::banghead:

I thought this would help; it did not.

Not so fast though. Within 60 mins of her 911 call she told the Hospital she thought he sister had been raped.

Per the Family (which was DH) they told medical personnel she thought she had been raped. The medical personnel said the physical exam matched up and they placed the call.

/

That's right, so how did she know KT had been raped? She never mentioned any problem with KT to 911 except for the head wound. At the E.R. she wouldn't have been allowed into the room they were providing treatment. Why did she then say it was rape and ask them to check for it?

I am new here but I have read most all the comments for the past several days. As you know, the news now seems to be that a "teenager" did this horrible crime. I am quite confused as to what DH isn't telling. I wouldn't say that she is the perp but something is just not right about the whole thing. First of all, I would have been scared to stay in that house just by looking at the pics. Had I stayed in that house, there would have been a light on someplace inside and outside also. Looks like there is really only one parking spot at the house unless you park on the street so maybe that is why she left the car at HT. But, doesn't make sense to not call someone for help to get it unlocked and turn off the engine, unless of course, she had been drinking. I do know that on NC123 she had a DWI in 2003 but does not have a record with DOC. None of this makes any sense to me that is being told by DH. I am wondering if this house has been used by someone before, unknowingly by the owner while he was gone. You can easily get into some houses with the swipe of something like a credit card or a plastic card. The corners of the plastic bag is definitely someone using drugs and I thought the SW said there were 4 of them, but did not say anything about residue being in any of the 4 corners. Whether drugs were used that night or not, someone had been there that was a user. Someone posted that the door was unlocked a lot of the time so who knows who had been in there before? Maybe they came back and KT caught them using or whatever and they got into it while DH was gone. This probably would have been a teenager. I just don't understand the "rape" thing though with this theory. If someone was going there for a robbery, I guess they saw a Lexus in the driveway and thought money or something. However, the LE is saying that not much was turned over or messed up in there. I am so confused at this point. If we just knew what the missing pieces of DH's puzzle is, we might could solve it. I hope they get whoever it is. No one deserves this kind of death.

Hey Everybody - HEADS UP - sleuthing of Kathy's sister will no longer be allowed. She is to be treated as a family member of the victim.

This article: http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/7413974/ says that DNA has cleared family members. So at least for the moment, it does not appear as if DH is a POI or suspect.

Remember, we treat victims, their family and friends with respect.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Salem

Is it still okay to discuss her statements to media and in the 911 calls?

Can anyone tell me when Kathy Taft arrived at the house in Raleigh? I know she was there on Thursday because she spent time with her son and returned to the house (from media source) ... but how long had she been there.

Article dated March 8:
She had returned to North Carolina last week to attend a two-day State Board of Education meeting in Halifax County and spend time with her two sons. “She was just having wonderful family time,” the friend said.

http://www.reflector.com/node/26150
Also, was the DNA only used to eliminate male friends and relatives as suspects? I only recall that they collected DNA from the male neighbors, not any female.

TIA
Good-night all. :)

Hey Everybody - HEADS UP - sleuthing of Kathy's sister will no longer be allowed. She is to be treated as a family member of the victim.

This article: http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/7413974/ says that DNA has cleared family members. So at least for the moment, it does not appear as if DH is a POI or suspect.

Remember, we treat victims, their family and friends with respect.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Salem

for that link, very much appreciated.
I am assuming, that the attorney has returned home, and the police presence is more or less to keep an eye on things?
I doubt the owner will continue to live for long inside that house, after his friend lost her life the way she did.
Would be hard for anyone to return to that house and have a good nite sleep after what happened......it will probably go on the market at a reduce price now if not tear it down sometime in the future.
anyways, my question to you.
until they open a new possible motive into the reason why this happened, there going to keep the random intruder theory open. is that correct.

ALL MOO AND SPECULATION ON MY PART, NOTHING FACTUAL OR FOR CERTAIN UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

I agree, I doubt that JG will ever stay in that house again. Will probably rent or sell it at a reduced price. It doesn't even have a garage. Maybe he could remove his valuables, keep it unlocked, and cops set up a sting operation to see if the perp returns to the scene of the crime. It could even be a vagrant camped out in the woods in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong