SC SC - Alex Pino, 21, & Juanita Floyd, 25, Conway, 26 Jan 1986

Debbie Miller

Reaction score
This is the only story that I can find online. I live in this city and I see the van with "A mother's tears" Unsolved murder of Alex Pino written on it. This is so sad. His friend was also killed.

Link:
http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=88084

Family seeks answers in 22 year old cold case By Amanda Kinseth
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 at 5:48 p.m.

Tonight a Conway family asks for your help in finding the person who murdered their son 22 years ago.
The victim's family recently went back to police but the case is closed unless new information comes to light.
Alex Pino and a friend were killed 22 years ago, and still no one is in jail for the crime. The anniversary is this weekend.
"It will be 22 years Saturday, and it's been miserable. very very miserable. It just don't ever go away," Jennie Graham, Alex Pino's mother, said.
Now, the family just wants answers to his unsolved murder. "All these years, for us not knowing what happened or why it happened," said Blanchie Pino, victim's wife.

more at link:

Sorry I forgot earlier to paste in the link in which I found the article. I can not find anything else on the web. I will have to make a trip to the local library and see if they have anything on microfilm.

I pass by the street that this happened on every day (M-Th) and it is in a bad neighborhood. I am going to google the girls name and see if anything will come up.

A person was found not guilty of the crime, so were they truly "not guilty", or was there not enough evidence?? The article wasn't very clear. If they are the perp double jeopardy prevents this case from receiving any real justice. :(

A person was found not guilty of the crime, so were they truly "not guilty", or was there not enough evidence?? The article wasn't very clear. If they are the perp double jeopardy prevents this case from receiving any real justice. :(

No one has been found guilty in this crime, no one has ever been arrested.

Where are you reading that a person was found not guilty? In light of the article there has never been a person of interest.

In reading that Alex Pino and Juanita Johnson were stabbed, my first thought was of an OJ type situation, the perp having been a male in a jealous rage.

Some questions:
1. What was the nature of the relationship between Alex and Juanita?
Were they just friends or lovers?
3. How many times was each stabbed?
4. What time of day or night did this occur?
5. Who was the person charged, but acquitted?
6. Was that person known or unknown to Pino and Johnson?

No one has been found guilty in this crime, no one has ever been arrested.

Where are you reading that a person was found not guilty? In light of the article there has never been a person of interest.

I was reading the article you posted above:

snip

Conway Police charged a suspect, but a jury found him not guilty.

snip

So if he truly is the guy, he will go free forever due to double jeopardy. There has to be a record of the case somewhere, with his name and the jury's not guilty finding.

Or maybe the article is not correct, there isn't a suspect or POI as you say Debbie?? I don't know, just feel sorry for the Mom. My cousin was murdered and I know if they hadn't caught the 4 people I would be out looking until I found them.

ETA: I see someone else answered Debbie, sorry, I will leave my response anyway. This is what you get when you are TWT: "typing while tired".

I was reading the article you posted above:

snip

Conway Police charged a suspect, but a jury found him not guilty.

snip

So if he truly is the guy, he will go free forever due to double jeopardy. There has to be a record of the case somewhere, with his name and the jury's not guilty finding.

Or maybe the article is not correct, there isn't a suspect or POI as you say Debbie?? I don't know, just feel sorry for the Mom. My cousin was murdered and I know if they hadn't caught the 4 people I would be out looking until I found them.

ETA: I see someone else answered Debbie, sorry, I will leave my response anyway. This is what you get when you are TWT: "typing while tired".

Ok I was reading the post I put up from here on the board, I didn't click on the link.

I will have a chance to talk to the mother as she was in the store tonight, I only know this because I saw her leaving. I will ask her. My semester ends the first week of May and I will go to the library and see what articles I can pull up from archives.

I am wondering why the article didn't copy in full .

You would think that the article would mention some facts about the original crime and the court case that followed it, including the suspect tried and found not guilty. It seems as though this kind of information would be necessary to jog memories of any witnesses, or people who might have peripheral information but don't know it. Quite frankly I think it is a shame that so much information on these cold cases lie dormant in pre internet file cabinets and microfilms, essentially useless to all but the few cold case detectives that might have access to it. I hope that reporters who cover these types of anniversary stories know that they might be the last hope in generating interest and information about cold cases and be as diligent as possible in covering the stories. Okay sorry for the rant but the lack of info on this case and others is just so frustrating and it is easy to see how cases go and stay cold with such minimal coverage. Hopefully the families of Alex and Juanita will get the answers that they so desperately seek someday.

I wonder if the info from the murder trial, I assume murder trial, where a jury found the person not guilty is available. Or was that a grand jury and there was not enough to indict? The article is not very clear.

Debbie, maybe when you are done with your classes if you are close to the court house you could inquire on what you can find via the freedom of information act. I'd be interested in learning more about the case.

I wonder if the info from the murder trial, I assume murder trial, where a jury found the person not guilty is available. Or was that a grand jury and there was not enough to indict? The article is not very clear.

Debbie, maybe when you are done with your classes if you are close to the court house you could inquire on what you can find via the freedom of information act. I'd be interested in learning more about the case.

Yes the court house is about 20 mins. from me, so this won't be a problem. I should be able to find it with the victim's name as I did this with my mom's case.

Once a name of the person tried is known I can go from there with where is he now?

Thanks Debbie. What confuses me was if the person was actually tried and found not guilty or was this a grand jury refusing to indict due to lack of evidence. Two very different things.

If the person has been tried and found not guilty in a regular murder trial, we are stuck due to the double jeaprody thing.

I'm hoping you can find info to clarify how this person was cleared or ?

thanks!

Any news on this cold case. Here's a link to an article from 1986 when the suspect was acquitted. His sunglasses were found under Floyd's bed with Alex Pino's blood on them. The jury decided that wasn't enough evidence to prove guilt.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=c8lJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HAsNAAAAIBAJ&pg=2884%2C76123

Article from January 1986
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AW9JAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CQsNAAAAIBAJ&pg=6332,8265208

July 31, 1986
http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...q=juanita floyd murder conway&pg=1278,8732001

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back