MN - Rapist kidnapper who said would kill victim when freed may be released

zinc

Reaction score
Scarred by a killer
http://bulletin.aarp.org/states/mn/2010/9/articles/scarred_by_killer.html
Mary Stauffer is still haunted by the threat from the man who in 1980 held her and her daughter, Beth, captive in his Roseville home and murdered a child bystander.

She remembers how Ming Sen Shiue vowed 30 years ago that when he was released from prison, he would find and kill her and her daughter.

Shiue could be released in July. A petition in Anoka County District Court, however, argues he should be sent to a maximum-security treatment facility.

'I don't want to say that we're afraid,' Stauffer said this week. 'We don't know what could have happened in 30 years. ... But by the same token, my family knows that threat is real.'

After 30 years, will killer, rapist Ming Sen Shiue be freed?
http://www.startribune.com/local/north/91438514.html
Shiue, 59, was convicted of kidnapping schoolteacher Mary Stauffer and her 8-year-old daughter, Elizabeth, and holding them hostage in his Roseville home for seven weeks. In the course of the abduction, he killed 6-year-old Jason Wilkman, who was playing in an Anoka County park when he saw the Stauffers in the trunk of Shiue's car...

...during his murder trial for Wilkman's death, Shiue attacked Stauffer on the witness stand. He cut her face and neck, leaving wounds that required 62 stitches.

"I will never forget that case because of what happened in the courtroom," said Ron Meshbesher, Shiue's attorney, who declined to comment on the upcoming trial. "It was pretty frightening."

An account of the entire ordeal can be read here:

Mary Stauffer stalked by former math student Ming Shiue
http://www.citypages.com/2010-02-10/news/mary-stauffer-stalked-by-former-math-student-ming-shiue/1

I also found the following statement from the lawyer who defended Ming Sen Shiue back in 1981, Ron Meshberger.

Minnesota Criminals We Have Known
http://www.lawandpolitics.com/minnesota/default.asp?section=ARTICLES&module=ITEM&id=302

Ron Meshberger said:
[The Ming Sen Shiue case] was the most traumatic case I ever tried. It was strictly an insanity defense. If there was a scene in a movie similar to the one in that trial, the people would have thought the screenwriters had gone off the deep end.

In the second trial in Anoka County, my client was on trial for murder. He had been tried in federal court for kidnapping his 8th grade school teacher. He was about 29 years old and had been obsessed with her, madly in love with her. She was a missionary to the Philippines. She and her nine-year-old daughter were kidnapped and kept hostage for about six weeks in his Roseville home, when they managed to escape and my client was arrested. The case in Anoka included the murder of a six-year-old child who had witnessed the kidnapping.

During the cross-examination of the missionary, my client jumped over counsel table and pulled out a jail-made knife which he smuggled into the courtroom in the waistband of his prison pants. He put the knife in his hand and grabbed this woman on the witness stand around the neck (and this was a packed courtroom in a highly publicized case), and threatened to use the knife if anybody came close to him. It was a scene right out of a horror movie. The jury was cowering in the corner crying, the judge was stunned, I was in shock -- it was just an amazing scene. I'll never forget that scene.

The deputies waited just a few seconds, rushed him, grabbed him, and as they grabbed him, the knife went down the witness's cheek, eventually requiring 27 stitches. Had it come down a little lower, she probably would have been dead.

It was a frightening, frightening scene and I can still picture the deputies carrying my client out, in what appeared to be a catatonic state. He was just as straight as a board as three or four deputies carried him out of the courtroom. Some people actually accused me of orchestrating the event to show how crazy the defendant really was...

I had death threats. The judge gave me a key to get into the back door of the courthouse. You talk about a lawyer having a key to the courthouse, I literally had it. It was a very bizarre case. I immediately moved for a mistrial. The judge denied it because he said my client brought it on himself. In any event, that was the most frightening moment I ever had as a lawyer and I'm glad there was no other experience close to it.

Does anyone know what happened at the hearing on March 8? This is utterly ridiculous that they are even considering letting this guy out.

This is scary. This guy should NEVER! be free.

fran

After 30 years, will killer, rapist Ming Sen Shiue be freed?

Ming Sen Shiue's sentence for kidnapping, murder and rape in 1981 is almost up. A trial in Anoka County will decide if he still is a threat.

Last update: April 19, 2010 - 5:30 AM

On Monday, Anoka County District Judge Jenny Walker Jasper will convene a three-day trial to decide which view is right -- whether the notorious felon from Minnesota's past is finally "cured'' or is still a threat to public safety. At the end, she must rule on a county petition to commit Shiue to a secure state treatment facility -- possibly for the rest of his life -- before his July release from prison on parole from a life sentence.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.startribune.com/local/no...UoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

he murdered a chld and then tried to kill a witness, while they were testifying and there's even a CHANCE Of him getting out?

our justice system.......i tell ya

This family needs to get a license to carry. Plain and simple. We think prison rehabilatated him? Psssssshhhhh.

My grandpop's murderers were all freed and had the audacity to come back to the neighborhood, reporduce and go on olike nothing ever happened.

I can tell you first hand it's effected generations in my family. Heck and that didn't involve rape and kidnpping for Lord's sake.

Shiue has no right to walk the face od this earth. Yeah, our justice system.Youkiddinme?

http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_14914467?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Ming Sen Shiue civil commitment trial started today

Updated: 04/19/2010 01:00:19 PM CDT

Thirty years ago, Ming Sen Shiue was convicted of kidnapping, rape and murder.

Today, a civil commitment trial started in Anoka County District court to determine whether he should be civilly committed. He is due to be released from prison in July.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

..................................................................................

http://wcco.com/local/1980.kidnapping.murder.2.1643210.html

Apr 19, 2010 5:57 pm US/Central
Ming Sen Shiue: Treatment Or Parole

Thirty years after living out a terrifying 7-week long kidnapping and enduring violent rapes, Mary Stauffer and her daughter Beth walked bravely into the Anoka County Courthouse. Inside, they would listen as Ming Sen Shiue testified that he is a changed man and ready for release.

"But it was not easy to hear that this morning," Mary Stauffer told reporters outside the courthouse.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

BREAKING NEWS!

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/91712834.html

Ming Sen Shiue trial halted, courtroom cleared

Last update: April 21, 2010 - 11:33 AM

The commitment trial of Ming Sen Shiue, in prison for kidnapping, rape and murder convictions, was interrupted this morning when Shiue asked a deputy to bring over a waste basket because he was coughing up blood.

Shiue's attorney Rick Mattox, who was cross-examining a witness, stopped his questioning, and the deputy ordered the Anoka County courtroom cleared.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wonder if he pulled a fast one to stop the hearing?

Wonder if he pulled a fast one to stop the hearing?

That's actually what I thought myself. He could have just swallowed glass or something.

JMHO
fran

PS...I pray they NEVER let this guy outta' jail. He's seriously a danger to society if I ever saw one. :mad: fran

I really hope they're considering the time he tried to STAB her IN COURT once already?! If that's not a sign he's h3ll bent on seeing her dead no matter the cost, I don't know what is! Don't let this guy out, people, are you nuts?

he murdered a chld and then tried to kill a witness, while they were testifying and there's even a CHANCE Of him getting out?

our justice system.......i tell ya

Did someone break into kbl's house, commandeer his computer and just type that out? That's not kbl.

http://www.startribune.com/local/no...3E77K_0c::D3aDhUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUHDYaGEP7eyckcUr

Shiue's mother, victim share a talk, and hugs

Thirty years after she was kidnapped and raped, Mary Stauffer comforted the perpetrator's mother, saying "I let her know how much I feel for her."

Mei Dickerman planned to testify Wednesday in the civil commitment trial of her son, Ming Sen Shiue. But he suffered a medical problem, clearing the Anoka County courtroom for an unexpected two-hour recess

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

God bless these victims. So strong! and his mother, too. This monster however, needs to be in the facility until death. I recently saw a documentary on this one specific facility (maybe the only one?) where sexual perpetrators who are a danger to society go after prison. If you want to talk three strikes, man this guy has played his 9 innings striking out. long before these victims, and until trial. He should not be anywhere in the general public ever ever again. JMO of course.

I've been looking around for what happened yesterday, or if they went back into court after the medical emergency. I'll post something if and when I find it.

This poor woman.

:(

fran

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/91667574.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

Shiue's plans to kill revealed

The admission to a psychologist came 30 years after he kidnapped Mary Stauffer and her daughter

When Mary Stauffer and her young daughter were held captive for seven weeks by Ming Sen Shiue in his Roseville home in 1980, she woke up each morning wondering "if this was the day he was going to kill us." He had already killed a 6-year-old witness and repeatedly raped Stauffer, so she figured there was no other way to end the situation, she recalled Tuesday.

While Shiue threatened the Stauffers with violence during those weeks, they were stunned to learn during Shiue's civil commitment trial Tuesday that he recently admitted to a psychologist that he had intended to kill them. They were able to escape before he had a chance.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, it appears court did reconvene, but I don't know what the result was.

fran

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=848553&catid=14

Courtroom cleared in Ming Sen Shiue commitment trial

ANOKA, Minn. -- From the witness stand, a state psychologist told the court her medical diagnosis of rapist and murderer Ming Sen Shiue.

From the defense table, a medical issue interrupted that testimony.

Shiue appeared doubled over. A deputy handed him a trash can, saying,"There's blood."

With the courtroom cleared for paramedics, the emergency was over quickly. The judge later said that it was simply a dental issue. Shiue saw a nurse and the issue was fixed temporarily.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back