Opinion Piece: Casey Out in 3 Years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamom

Reaction score
I read this on the Orlando Sentinel blog... What are your thoughts on this? I wonder if this is the reason Mason is fighting so hard to get DP off the table. And why he thinks he is going to walk out of the court room with her. Makes sense:
By: Columist Mike Thomas
April 19, 2010

Now that Cheney Mason is on board, that is my bet.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_columnist_mikethomas/

Ask Cheney Mason's last client if she's gonna walk free.
You can reach him on Death Row.....

Uh, I don't freaking think so. The public is NOT going to like a heinous baby killer serving only three years. No one in a elected position is going to risk alienating the public that elected them.

But I'd love whatever this person is smoking or drinking, because dang it must be good!

"Lamar faces the humiliation prospect of losing and frittering away millions of dollars. This leads to a plea deal for manslaughter."

No possible way! This case is a slam dunk with all the forensic evidence against her, and her lies. Besides, her defense isn't claiming it was an accident, so no way will they offer manslaughter. There is no incentive for the prosecution to offer a plea deal. This blogger is on drugs or it's for ratings, IMO.

Is this another wanna be? If he's a "Somebody" why is he sounding like a "NoBody? Is it a hospital, kinda? Does anyone have his address?

:viking:

3 yrs would not surprise me in this case...but at this point, I would not be at all surprised if she walked. I still do not see a "smoking gun". tons of circ stuff, but...

I have been a Florida resident for over 35 years. In the late 80's to the early 1990's this may have been true. The man that attacked me was 3 years into a 85 year sentence when he was placed into a work release and then escaped. After that different Sheriff's Offices in all the counties in Florida started a movement STOP (Stop Turning Out Prisoners) which was successful and inmates started serving 75% of there time. The work releases were turned into drug treatment facilities and our legislature passed a bill that violent prisoners were not to be placed in work release. Gain time was changed and LWOP means life. I feel this blogger is trying to find his 15 minutes with no experience to back it up. Justice for Caylee!

The good people of Florida know that catch and release is for fish not felons. KC will always be safer in prison. MOO

Uh, I don't freaking think so. The public is NOT going to like a heinous baby killer serving only three years. No one in a elected position is going to risk alienating the public that elected them.

But I'd love whatever this person is smoking or drinking, because dang it must be good!

I am not sure her attorneys grasp the serious weight of how angry people are at KC. In spite of the fact that their eyes have read our cries and they have been duly notified by the media, that the public is not just on a bandwagon, but we are following this through because we are passionate about justice for Caylee. It would be unsafe and reckless to assume that the public is going to be okay with having her partying around Orlando again. If they truly believe they could win this, they need to seriously and privately address where KC's life would go beyond jail. It is not something that should be flaunted to the public.

There is no way. For the trial to be set a year from now for her to be in prison for 3 years that would me she would get some kind of conviction. For what she is charged with 3 years does not seem like much of a punishment.

Is this another wanna be? If he's a "Somebody" why is he sounding like a "NoBody? Is it a hospital, kinda? Does anyone have his address?

:viking:

While I don't agree with what he said, Mr. Thomas has been a columnist for the Orlando Sentinel for some time now. I have read a number of his pieces and some I agree with, some I don't.

I do think Cheney Mason is working behind the scenes for a plea deal - I have thought that since he came on board. I don't think she will walk with time served. I do think there is a possibility of a manslaughter charge, a guilty plea and a sentence of 15 to 25 years. While there is no doubt in my mind the evidence proves that KC was responsible for what happened to Caylee, I am not sure the evidence is enough for LWOP or the DP - even with the duct tape. I know, I know, there is no logical reason for the duct tape to be there except if it was put there by KC.

It will be up to the State to decide whether or not to agree to a plea deal - and you know what's sad? The State talks to the family of the victim when a plea deal is being discussed - who are they going to speak to in this case? Maybe they should poll the citizens of FL and get their input - because Caylee's family turned their back on this precious little girl a long time ago! And that is the saddest part of this whole mess.

I have to wonder, when I read bloggers and thats all they are, bloggers, common citizens like you and I........when they put out scenerios like this, it gets people in such a uproar. To me it's just for that, to create buzz. Cause people are talking about it, so guess what, the next time he writes something people will read it and most likely talk about it.

It's sad about this case, it stopped being about Caylee, an innocent child, long ago, all it is about now is someones 10 min of fame.

You are right the guy is a BLOGGER, not a journalist..personally he is a joke, just wanted to stir the pot for his minutes of fame...LOL..Put the drink down MIKE..

I think the SA has all they need to get at least a LWOP..Cheney may be in it for "FUN" but would like it to go faster..another year, he might wear out.

With the new Judge, I think it will go faster because I believe he won't put up with all these motions and it should move right along..crossing fingers

While I don't agree with what he said, Mr. Thomas has been a columnist for the Orlando Sentinel for some time now. I have read a number of his pieces and some I agree with, some I don't.

I do think Cheney Mason is working behind the scenes for a plea deal - I have thought that since he came on board. I don't think she will walk with time served. I do think there is a possibility of a manslaughter charge, a guilty plea and a sentence of 15 to 25 years. While there is no doubt in my mind the evidence proves that KC was responsible for what happened to Caylee, I am not sure the evidence is enough for LWOP or the DP - even with the duct tape. I know, I know, there is no logical reason for the duct tape to be there except if it was put there by KC.

It will be up to the State to decide whether or not to agree to a plea deal - and you know what's sad? The State talks to the family of the victim when a plea deal is being discussed - who are they going to speak to in this case? Maybe they should poll the citizens of FL and get their input - because Caylee's family turned their back on this precious little girl a long time ago! And that is the saddest part of this whole mess.

Machusa, thanks for this info and your answer in a more serious note than my flippant response.
First, when a columnist makes this kind of a jaw dropping statement, it's my belief this person is looking for shock value and is attention seeking.

What blows my mind about this case is why someone who kills their own child is given more "consideration" than if they killed someone else's child. Like it's kinda okay to kill your own child. A person(mother) must be seriously disturbed to kill their own child because we all know mothers will love and protect their children from birth, it's in their genes.

Well, we know clearly this isn't true. Some mothers are genuinely not sane when they kill their children, but some are just selfish and cold-blooded, and love no one but themselves. These are convenience killings.

How is it possible even if this could be an accidental death (which I do not believe), a death that is not reported, no attempt to bring medical help, to throw the body away, deface the body, lie to police, accuse other people, etc etc., - with all of this, how is it possible for anyone to suggest the accused will get three years?

Because this is her first offense at murder? Have we all gone crazy? Bah!

That was the shortest and most ignorant commentary I've ever read on a legit newspapers blog. Just my opinion.

moo

I would really like to clear something up. Mike Thomas, although he calls his column a blog has been an Orlando Sentinel Columnist as far back as 2003. No, I don't know him and don't even agree with him most of the time, but he is a main stream journalist. I am not knocking bloggers - I read a couple blogs every day and find them to be some of the most insightful and excellent material I have ever read.

Here is his column about the media attempting to gain access to video of the recent fatal attack at Sea World:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rld--trainer-video-020100310,0,2656983.column.

This was a well written column whether you agree with him or not.

I THINK this is the first time he has weighed in on the Caylee case, but I am not sure. While most of us hate even the thought of anything less than LWOP or DP, the reality is that a plea is possible. I also can't blame the guy for wanting this circus to be over one way or another.

Mike Thomas is simply expressing his opinion. Hate the opinion, but not the opiner. You may find another subject where you agree with him completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam