School Field Trip Causes Controversy

Lyn1001

In constant need of a nap
Reaction score
An Ann Arbor school field trip has caused controversy. Apparently there is an educational peer group program that is comprised of all African-American students. They went on a field trip to see an African-American Rocket Scientist speak. Invitations were not extended to other students. People are saying this violates Proposal 2, which bans racial preference in public schools in Michigan.

It's an interesting article and actually has some interesting comments (not all, but some).

http://www.freep.com/article/20100506/NEWS05/5060414/1322/Elementary-is-in-hot-water-over-field-trip

I have a problem with this simply because if this was "all white" event there would a huge outcry......if we can't have it both ways it needs to be open to ALL,imo.

While I agree that exclusion - mo matter the race being excluded - is wrong, a part of me wonders whether this was wrong.

This was not a school funded trip. This was a peer study group that meets during the noon hour to take advantage of special help, an opportunity to study, etc. This peer group is open to all students. I can only assume that the students who prefer not to spend their lunch hour studying or do not feel they need that extra help elected not to participate/join "the lunch bunch".

As a result, those students were not included. Not because they are white, but because they have opted not to be a part of this group.

As a caucasion who is not a fan of how affirmative action has, in a way, infantalized black america, but who truly believes that equality should be afforded to all - I do not see a problem with what was done with this field trip.

Sorry but it reads to me like a bunch of students with sour grapes about not getting out of the school building for a few hours to go hear a guy speak they would have had zero interest in anyway. If these students wanteded to be included in the "fun" activities offered in this peer group, they should have joined the group.

MOO

While I agree that exclusion - mo matter the race being excluded - is wrong, a part of me wonders whether this was wrong.

This was not a school funded trip. This was a peer study group that meets during the noon hour to take advantage of special help, an opportunity to study, etc. This peer group is open to all students. I can only assume that the students who prefer not to spend their lunch hour studying or do not feel they need that extra help elected not to participate/join "the lunch bunch".

As a result, those students were not included. Not because they are white, but because they have opted not to be a part of this group.

As a caucasion who is not a fan of how affirmative action has, in a way, infantalized black america, but who truly believes that equality should be afforded to all - I do not see a problem with what was done with this field trip.

Sorry but it reads to me like a bunch of students with sour grapes about not getting out of the school building for a few hours to go hear a guy speak they would have had zero interest in anyway. If these students wanteded to be included in the "fun" activities offered in this peer group, they should have joined the group.

MOO

Great post.

MOO

To me, the difficulty that comes into play is even though it was not a school sponsored trip, it had to be school approved due to it being during school hours (I would guess).
The way to remedy the situation, at least in my mind, would be to have it in policy that in regards to organized peer groups, field trips are only open to those who are involved in the group. The groups must be open to all students. Obviously it would need better wording! I think something along those lines would keep situations like this from becoming media fodder. However, I guess people will always find SOME reason to be upset about something.

I agree. The field trip happened during school hours. So, it was supported by the school in a way.

If this were the other way around, there would be famous activists camped out on the school steps right about now calling for someone's head.

I can't stand racism of any kind. And, IMO, there are several forms of racism that are considered OK in our culture.

One example that drives me batty is BET. Can you imagine if there was a White Entertainment Television?

MOO

BBM

Why would they have zero interest in it? Because the speaker was black?
I don't get it.

ETA: I know a lot of kids that would love to hear a rocket scientist speak, no matter his or her color.

Can't see a problem. A group of students who belong to a common interest group attended an educational event. The school should be rewarding them for both their academic efforts by being part of a lunchtime study group and their choice to attend a lecture (rather than play video games or go to a rock concert). If the student group was open to all student then the school has nothing to gripe about and needs to get is priorities straight.

I agree. The field trip happened during school hours. So, it was supported by the school in a way.

If this were the other way around, there would be famous activists camped out on the school steps right about now calling for someone's head.

I can't stand racism of any kind. And, IMO, there are several forms of racism that are considered OK in our culture.

One example that drives me batty is BET. Can you imagine if there was a White Entertainment Television?

BBM - I have used that exact argument more than once so I can relate, I also am not a fan of racism on any level no matter the race.

BBM

Why would they have zero interest in it? Because the speaker was black?
I don't get it.

ETA: I know a lot of kids that would love to hear a rocket scientist speak, no matter his or her color.

I guess I am making an assumption here, but I am assuming they would have zero interest in hearing him speak because they showed zero interest in the group or its stated mission. IMOO the only reason the field trip was interesting to them was because they were not on it.

MOst teenagers, black OR white that I encounter, are not exactly interested in rocket science or a lecture thereon

This trip most definitely fit the technical description provided in the law as a school sponsored trip. There would be a large number of students interested in hearing the speaker who have interests in math or science. Just because someone did not belong to the group does not mean that they don't want to spend their lunch period studying. Perhaps they belong to other groups which meet at the same time which prevents them from belonging to more than one group. Regardless of such speculation, if ANY group went on ANY trip at ANY time sponsored by ANY private funds and it was exclusionary of black, or hispanic or Asian students then it would never have been allowed. If a hispanic group had attended a cinco de mayo celebration and made it clear that black students were not welcome....it would never have been allowed.

jmoo

No-one was made to feel unwelcome, they were simply not invited to attend if they were not part of this particular study group.

Any way, fwiw, I think this is a tempest in a teapot-this is like the theater kids being pissed off at not being invited to a golf tournament that the golf club was going to...jmo

Any way, fwiw, I think this is a tempest in a teapot-this is like the theater kids being pissed off at not being invited to a golf tournament that the golf club was going to...jmo

Very interesting way to look at it.

This trip most definitely fit the technical description provided in the law as a school sponsored trip. There would be a large number of students interested in hearing the speaker who have interests in math or science. Just because someone did not belong to the group does not mean that they don't want to spend their lunch period studying. Perhaps they belong to other groups which meet at the same time which prevents them from belonging to more than one group. Regardless of such speculation, if ANY group went on ANY trip at ANY time sponsored by ANY private funds and it was exclusionary of black, or hispanic or Asian students then it would never have been allowed. If a hispanic group had attended a cinco de mayo celebration and made it clear that black students were not welcome....it would never have been allowed.

jmoo

We need to grow up as a country. Not everyone makes the team, not everyone wins a medal, and not everyone gets to go on the field trip.

Recently at my middle child's school the cast of the school play went on a field trip to the theater. No other children were included. Should I rant and rave and stomp my feet that my kid didn't get to go? Um, NO! He doesn't want to be in the play, learn the lines, attend practices after school, or perform. Why should he only get to do the fun part and none of the work?

Similarly, if football and cross country practice at the same time, my kid who chooses football doesn't get to go to the cross country meet just because he had a schedule conflict. He doesn't get to run in the meet if he gets cut from the team. You have to make choices in life and take responsibility for those choices. If there were kids who chose another activity over this group then, guess what!, they don't get invited on the field trip.

I understand that the group, while open to all, was targeted at black students. Oh well. The math club at our school is open to all but targeted at those who are good at math. And by the way, they go on "math club only" trips frequently for competition. So far no one has complained, but it's only a matter of time.

There IS a "White Entertainment Television" It has a few hundred channels.

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the giggle Cypros :D

We do not have a channel named white entertainment television! Do u have a link for a channel that only shows white people? I've never seen one in my 35 years. We also don't have a pageant named Miss White America. Miss America and Miss USA includes all races. If we had a pageant named Miss White America and only allowed white contestants, Al Sharpton would have a field day! Are you kidding?

Like I said, I hate all racism, but equal is equal!
You can't scream for equality and seperate yourself when it suits your needs or desires.

We do not have a channel named white entertainment television! Do u have a link for a channel that only shows white people? I've never seen one in my 35 years. We also don't have a pageant named Miss White America. Miss America and Miss USA includes all races. If we had a pageant named Miss White America and only allowed white contestants, Al Sharpton would have a field day! Are you kidding?

Like I said, I hate all racism, but equal is equal!
You can't scream for equality and seperate yourself when it suits your needs or desires.

I am certainly not going to speak for Cypros-my interpretation of the post Cypros made was that televsion continues to be heavily weighted in the direction of the group that holds the most political power in the United States which is by and large caucasian males. However, there is Liftime TV, a network geared to women. There is Spike TV which is geared towards men, there is BET TV, and Latino/Spanish speaking channels-so if we are going to object to viewer-specific television lets object across the boards....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back