Possible Break in Stacy's case - Cops planning on a search tomorrow 6/5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe there is a break in this case - so exciting! :woohoo: I fervently hope they will find Stacy.

This case and the Vander Sloot case should give us all hope that justice is almost always served if we just wait long enough. Sometimes it is a long haul to get to this point.

So they packed up their stuff and left, and will be back Monday? Ok, I know the possible crime/burial ground scene isn't going anyplace, and bad weather was coming, but shouldn't they have the scene being guarded/ watched by someone in LE so nobody comes onto that land and messes with it until LE has completely finished investigating and has left? Or am I just being paranoid about that???

It's really gorgeous outside today...sunny and mid-70's. I think the same is in effect for most of Illinois, including Peoria - we did have a tornado last night touch down around Streator and other towns.,..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37534235/ns/weather/

Here's hoping that the next couple days dry out the search area. It strikes me that it's so close to the creek there that they may have wanted to wait for the water to subside a bit. Still sound like to me that they are very very serious about coming back for further excavation, so they must be considering the lead very very credible.

I'm sure there's some 'informal' LE wanding about the property keeping an eye on the area. You may not see squad cars there, but they may be using their own or unmarked cars and parking as such on the property that it's not apparent.

The Peterson investigative team arrived in Peoria on Friday morning after receiving what was deemed a credible tip.

Alwan, owner of Echo Valley Meats and the new 309 restaurant, described the way he felt when he got a phone call from police Friday morning asking him about his rural Dunlap property in one word: shock.

"It was like 'Are you kidding me?' " he said. "I was in shock. Who would have ever guessed?"

Alwan said he went out to Echo Valley Farms, located on Grange Hall Road near Trigger Road, to accompany about 15 investigators onto the land.

"I took them out on my John Deere tractor," he said. "They wanted to make sure that the spot they were looking for was on my property."

Alwan said he has never met Drew Peterson and has no idea whether or why his property may have been used to hide the body of Stacy Peterson. The farm is primarily used to grow soy beans and alfalfa, Alwan said

Conflicting reports abound as to where that tip leading to Alwan's land originated. Initial reports indicated an inmate with Drew Peterson in the Will County Jail led authorities to Alwan's property. The likelihood of that scenario has been called into question, but sources also told the Journal Star it was correct.

Those sources also said the inmate personally took authorities to the site. Burek would not say when the tip was received or confirm those reports.

The Illinois State Police, Will County State's Attorney criminal investigators and several other police agencies arrived on the site, located on West Grange Hall Road near Trigger Road at about 10 a.m. Friday morning.
................................................................................

Sounds like they knew the exact spot they wanted to dig. Could they have gotten some GPS records or information like that from someones vehicle? Did they just find out Drew had rented a car or truck on his 3 day head clearing trip? Did he borrow someones car and they just found out and got the information from it?

We see Will County was there. Wonder why they denied the whole thing?

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1834544444/Authorities-set-to-dig-for-Stacy-Peterson-body-near-Peoria

I have family & friends around Peoria, and have gone hiking around the area many years ago. Yes, the water table is very high, and the creek used to be quite polluted with farm runoff, etc. Don't know if it's still that way, though. I'd be rather concerned, if it's still bad, to work there without some sort of "bunny suit" and respirator, and waterproofed leggings for the investigators.

On a totally different topic, could the inmate tip be someone who was recently arrested who was involved 2.5 years ago? The Journal Star website reconfirms the "inmate" part. DP didn't have to tell the guy in jail, the guy (I assume man) could as well be someone recently caught on a totally different crime.

I'm as afraid to get my hopes up about this as I'm afraid to get my hopes up that the Hawks will recover & win the Cup.

Sources told the Journal Star a cadaver dog alerted handlers to human remains in the area sometime Friday. An anthropologist from the Dixon Mounds site in Fulton County was called in to aid with the search. Sources said the scientist was brought in to help determine whether the ground had been disturbed.

That fits with what we have seen so far. He would dig two holes, one where they suspected the ground had been disturbed and one close but not in the area of the one in the possibly disturbed area.

He would then compare the soil layers in both holes and if the one in the suspected area had mixed layers like you would find in a dug hole and then refilled he would say it was disturbed.

That would take an afternoon of careful digging and comparing.

They left the tent up so I suspect he found it had been disturbed.

http://www.pjstar.com/news/x1834544444/Authorities-set-to-dig-for-Stacy-Peterson-body-near-Peoria

<snip>

Alwan said he went out to Echo Valley Farms, located on Grange Hall Road near Trigger Road, to accompany about 15 investigators onto the land.

"I took them out on my John Deere tractor," he said. "They wanted to make sure that the spot they were looking for was on my property."

Alwan said he has never met Drew Peterson and has no idea whether or why his property may have been used to hide the body of Stacy Peterson. The farm is primarily used to grow soy beans and alfalfa, Alwan said

Conflicting reports abound as to where that tip leading to Alwan's land originated. Initial reports indicated an inmate with Drew Peterson in the Will County Jail led authorities to Alwan's property. The likelihood of that scenario has been called into question, but sources also told the Journal Star it was correct.

Those sources also said the inmate personally took authorities to the site. Burek would not say when the tip was received or confirm those reports.

The Illinois State Police, Will County State's Attorney criminal investigators and several other police agencies arrived on the site, located on West Grange Hall Road near Trigger Road at about 10 a.m. Friday morning.
................................................................................

Sounds like they knew the exact spot they wanted to dig. Could they have gotten some GPS records or information like that from someones vehicle? Did they just find out Drew had rented a car or truck on his 3 day head clearing trip? Did he borrow someones car and they just found out and got the information from it?

We see Will County was there. Wonder why they denied the whole thing?

Dr. Fessel, you posted while I was, and reminded me the other question I had. The police said "coordinates." To me that does imply GPS involvement.
Did DP own a GPS unit, and could he have transferred it to another vehicle? (your post sparked the latter part.)

From the TMZ story, there was an inmate who named an accomplice who took them to the location. That would be the only way I can think of they would know the exact location. JMO

From TMZ

"Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Peterson, an ex-cop who is currently behind bars awaiting trial for the murder of his third wife, told an inmate yesterday how he killed Stacy Peterson, wife number 4. Stacy's body has never been recovered.

Our sources say Peterson told the inmate he had an accomplice help him dispose of the body. The inmate then told authorities about his discussion with Peterson, which led them to the alleged accomplice. We're told the accomplice informed Will County Sheriff's officials and prosecutors that the body was buried just outside Peoria, Illinois.

Will County Sheriff's deputies and prosecutors took the alleged accomplice to Peoria Friday, and the accomplice led them to private hunting grounds. The owner allowed authorities to enter his property and the accomplice then led them to the site where Stacy's body was allegedly buried. The accomplice told authorities the body was stuffed in a metal drum that had been buried underground.

On Friday afternoon, authorities brought police dogs onto the property and we're told the dogs immediately took them to the place where the witness said the body was buried. Authorities then put prongs in the soil and hit a mass below ground that could be the drum in question."

JMO

I have family & friends around Peoria, and have gone hiking around the area many years ago. Yes, the water table is very high, and the creek used to be quite polluted with farm runoff, etc. Don't know if it's still that way, though. I'd be rather concerned, if it's still bad, to work there without some sort of "bunny suit" and respirator, and waterproofed leggings for the investigators.

On a totally different topic, could the inmate tip be someone who was recently arrested who was involved 2.5 years ago? The Journal Star website reconfirms the "inmate" part. DP didn't have to tell the guy in jail, the guy (I assume man) could as well be someone recently caught on a totally different crime.

I'm as afraid to get my hopes up about this as I'm afraid to get my hopes up that the Hawks will recover & win the Cup.

I suspect if they tried digging right now the hole would fill up with water from the water table making it possible to lose trace evidence in a mucky water filled hole.

Dr. Fessel, you posted while I was, and reminded me the other question I had. The police said "coordinates." To me that does imply GPS involvement.
Did DP own a GPS unit, and could he have transferred it to another vehicle? (your post sparked the latter part.)

Or maybe the accomplice had GPS and they used his vechile?

From the TMZ story, there was an inmate who named an accomplice who took them to the location. That would be the only way I can think of they would know the exact location. JMO

JMO

In the video below around mark 2:57, the reporter states that Drew is in protective custody with no interaction with inmates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyc24uld81s

In the video below around mark 2:57, the reporter states that Drew is in protective custody with no interaction with inmates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyc24uld81s

I don't quite understand protective custody. Misty is supposed to be in protective custody I thought too but she seems to be able to get her hair done, etc and talks to others in that area. Does this mean it's still possible for him to have talked to another inmate?

Good Morning! I like someone's theory of the inmate who snitched as being the "accomplice". Not necessarily DP talking to anyone in jail, this snitch/accomplice is singing away in jail on perhaps an un-related crime. Where's TM been lately?

From TMZ

"Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Peterson, an ex-cop who is currently behind bars awaiting trial for the murder of his third wife, told an inmate yesterday how he killed Stacy Peterson, wife number 4. Stacy's body has never been recovered.

Our sources say Peterson told the inmate he had an accomplice help him dispose of the body. The inmate then told authorities about his discussion with Peterson, which led them to the alleged accomplice. We're told the accomplice informed Will County Sheriff's officials and prosecutors that the body was buried just outside Peoria, Illinois.

Will County Sheriff's deputies and prosecutors took the alleged accomplice to Peoria Friday, and the accomplice led them to private hunting grounds. The owner allowed authorities to enter his property and the accomplice then led them to the site where Stacy's body was allegedly buried. The accomplice told authorities the body was stuffed in a metal drum that had been buried underground.

On Friday afternoon, authorities brought police dogs onto the property and we're told the dogs immediately took them to the place where the witness said the body was buried. Authorities then put prongs in the soil and hit a mass below ground that could be the drum in question."

JMO

If you take this out of the story and consider it something heard wrong or quoted wrong, " told an inmate yesterday" then you can say there was an inmate in jail that drew had told the story to and it does not mean it had to be while they are both in jail. Drew could have told them sometime in the past.

I would bet that is it. It might not have been "hey I murdered her and so and so helped me. It might have been an innocent slip like, "oh yeah I was driving around with so and so or I had so and so give me a lift or this person saw drew with someone and drew told him they were giving him a lift. Just a little bit of information that led LE to the accomplice and then they broke.

Dr. F--re. the muck. That too.
And re. the GPS. That would also work. Maps aren't accurate to that level, and maybe he'd scouted out the area in advance of "need." Save the coordinates, give the GPS to a henchman while he had an alibi, and voila! (In a sick sort of way)

If you take this out of the story and consider it something heard wrong or quoted wrong, " told an inmate yesterday" then you can say there was an inmate in jail that drew had told the story to and it does not mean it had to be while they are both in jail. Drew could have told them sometime in the past.

I would bet that is it. It might not have been "hey I murdered her and so and so helped me. It might have been an innocent slip like, "oh yeah I was driving around with so and so or I had so and so give me a lift or this person saw drew with someone and drew told him they were giving him a lift. Just a little bit of information the led LE to the accomplice and then they broke.

The latter would work, of course. Just because hearsay is inadmissible in court doesn't mean it's not an useful tip.

What can I say. No coffee yet. :crazy:

I heard or read (sorry, no link handy) that the current owner didn't own the property at the time. Is it possible it was a vacant listing for sale and DP went to look at it with someone and they finally told - or told someone else? Maybe they had a phone with GPS that led LE back to where the listing property was?? Just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd