MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely conjecture and speculation, but from reading the various boards and articles, if the new young detectives were revisiting this crime ( and now know the car at the scene belonged to a local, who came came forward in 2004 ) they really must logically think about this abduction being planned and carried out by someone quite familiar with the area.

This brings them back to where Jacob's foot prints were seen at the head of the Rassier driveway. If the parents were gone, and the son, or another local, saw an opportunity, the timing was perfect. Either way, it surely bears further investigation. The fact that they have brought in the specialized K-9 units could be why there is serious digging in specific areas, where they were lead by the dogs.

For me, the lessons learned from this, and other similar abductions, are that, no matter what, RUNNING or getting away may be a safer option. A preditor is looking for a victim, not really looking to kill. I've always wondered what might have happened if they had just gone like hell on those bikes and never looked back.

It sounds from all I have read, that LE pretty much overlooked the people in the immediate area!!!! Hindsight always provides more information. I do know that these parents are very well respected in this community.

A comment from a local on one of the St. Cloud Times articles said that the area is so isolated, that the abductor must have seen the boys ride their bikes past, and knew that they would be returning, so he lay in wait. Absolutely chilling.

Look at the Photos under "Search on at St. Joseph Farm"

http://www.startribune.com/local/97...D8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyUs

There is a blue tarp/tent shielding a small area of digging. It appears that they have pinpointed a specific location.

The area of digging is not up by the farm or outbuildings but more out by a field (corn maybe?) It looks like a dirt or grassy road leads from the farmsite to this area of digging.

I have a hunch that whoever is farming this property (since the parents are retired) possibly came across a human bone or other evidence.

No problem...just wish I had more info!

I remember searching for Jacob. I remember how his disappearance changed EVERYTHING...such as letting your kids play outside without worry, going for a nice evening walk alone, saying "hi" to a stranger without fear. Innocence was lost that day and things were never the same again.

:( You're so right, Shay. Innocence was shattered. And whoever would dream that such a thing could happen in little St. Joe's.

Josh Guimond is still missing from St. John's University (7 years ago). St. John's is approx 5 miles from St. Joseph.

And, speaking of SJU, I will say that that had been an area of suspicion for me in the Jacob case.

jmo

The area of digging is not up by the farm or outbuildings but more out by a field (corn maybe?) It looks like a dirt or grassy road leads from the farmsite to this area of digging.

I have a hunch that whoever is farming this property (since the parents are retired) possibly came across a human bone or other evidence.

Good sleuthing, Shay. The media is saying that new, fresh detectives are taking a second look at the case (always a good thing) and this is the reason for the search.

But - you're right - this area is further out, it seems - and quite specific to have been found since just yesterday morning. You may just be on to something.

On another note - how typical that precious Patty would have been down in the Cities at some seminar on sexual offenders (something like that) when the search began. Nearly 21 years later, and the gallant woman is still fighting the good fight. May the Lord bless her. :blowkiss:

jmo

May I ask if this is the little boy who with his brother were riding bikes and someone took him?

Wow.... this case has haunted me for years.

I can understand how Patty doesn't know what to wish for...

I can also sympathize with the family who own the search area.

Question to Shay and anyone else who might know...

They took DNA from the gentleman who lived at the farm. Was their DNA at the scene to compare it to?

Good sleuthing, Shay. The media is saying that new, fresh detectives are taking a second look at the case (always a good thing) and this is the reason for the search.

But - you're right - this area is further out, it seems - and quite specific to have been found since just yesterday morning. You may just be on to something.

On another note - how typical that precious Patty would have been down in the Cities at some seminar on sexual offenders (something like that) when the search began. Nearly 21 years later, and the gallant woman is still fighting the good fight. May the Lord bless her. :blowkiss:

jmo

Thank you...and yes you're right, the area of digging is small in scope when compared to the property as a whole! Plus they said this phase of the investigation is complete...so they aren't just tromping around 158 acres digging holes willy-nilly, they knew the precise area they wanted to search.

Yes, poor Patty...and she's hobbling around on crutches as well (broken ankle I think.) She's never given up on Jacob.

Praying for closure.

May I ask if this is the little boy who with his brother were riding bikes and someone took him?

Yes it is. There were two other boys with Jacob, a brother and a friend.

Wow.... this case has haunted me for years.

I can understand how Patty doesn't know what to wish for...

I can also sympathize with the family who own the search area.

Question to Shay and anyone else who might know...

They took DNA from the gentleman who lived at the farm. Was their DNA at the scene to compare it to?

His DNA was taken years ago, as well as a polygraph test. I believe they took DNA samples from dozens of people.

We have no idea what, if anything was found at the scene. Hopefully tomorrow's press release will hold some information.

:( You're so right, Shay. Innocence was shattered. And whoever would dream that such a thing could happen in little St. Joe's.

Yes - even in Nova Scotia, where I grew up, I remember this case being really shocking/fascinating to me. I was the same age as Jacob, and lived in a very similar community... It was like if he wasn't safe no one was. It changed a lot about how I saw the world.

I would love to see this case come to some sort of closure and justice.

I'm really concerned about some of the finger pointing that's going on in this forum. It's ok to consider things, but calling someone creepy or coming close to the edge of making accusations isn't helpful.

Just because it's on the Rassier farm doesn't mean they had anything to do with it...the criminal who took Jacob could've left evidence there or something.

Respectfully, I did not call him creepy, but was referring to comments on the news articles. I have never met the man. And in my posts I have tried to be very cautious, for the very reasons you state in this post.

I, too, feel that we should all be cautious until we know more.

ETA: I believe I shall retire from this thread. I really hope for some results in this case, though. 21 years! Such a long time. :(

Yes it is. There were two other boys with Jacob, a brother and a friend.

Thank you Shay. I did look at an article above. I saw this case on a show recently. I feel so sad for this family.

Local news just said that Patty Wetterling is getting calls from the national news outlets - she even got a call from Oprah's people.

I think Pat Brown will be on our 10:00 news. I don't have DVR (??). I'll be watching Channel 9. Can other locals cover Channels 5 and 11??? tia

I really hope this new investigation turns out some final answers.

Trino, regarding your observation about the voice of the abductor. I remember reading in more than one article the boys remember the voice of the man was very unique. Kind of raspy, like he had a cold or something. :eek:

Why would LE collect dna? What would they compare it to? Any ideas?

Why would LE collect dna? What would they compare it to? Any ideas?
The man who abducted Jacob was believed to have abducted another boy months before (in nearby Cold Spring, MN) and sexually assaulted him in his car before letting him go, so I imagine (without getting too graphic) that DNA evidence was taken from the boy afterward at the hospital and kept stored away by LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle