Barge/Tourist boat collision in Philly

lizzybeth

Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA – Coast Guard officials say two people are unaccounted for after a barge collided with a tourist boat on the Delaware River in Philadelphia.
Coast Guard Senior Chief Bud Holden says 35 passengers and two crew members were aboard the amphibious boat when it was struck around 2:40 p.m. Wednesday.
Holden said 35 people were pulled from the water, but the extent of any injuries was not immediately clear. Holden said he did not know if the missing were passengers or crew members.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100707/ap_on_re_us/us_philly_duck_boat_accident

Those duck boats are as slow as Christmas so the barge must have been moving fast. Even if the boat driver saw the barge, there is no way they could have gotten out of the way in time. :(

It happened so fast people at Penns Landing couldn't believe it. They said the boat went down and appeared to break in two.

I hate to say this but this was an accident waiting to happen. There's been tragic accidents with these land/water vehicles in other cities. We had merchants here try and get rid of these boats as they ride around town with no seat belts and give the tourists whistle like instruments that quack. That seemed to bother the merchants who had outdoor dinning etc.

My DD used to beg to get on that thing and I told her no way.

We also had a huge problem when our past mayor's brother purchased some of these vehicles. He was not allowed to use the ramp that the "Ride The Ducks" does so he used to have to pick people up in center city and take I-95 up to the Northeast and put the vehicle in the water there. Riding up I-95 with 30 some people sans seat belts not a good idea.

We've been praying these two young people are found. Praying maybe they made it across to Camden.

"SHUT THE DUCK UP" This was written back in '07 I think. It includes the dangers of these rehabed boats.

http://shuttheduckup.blogspot.com/2008/01/duck-boat-violence.html

Two people remain missing. Please send positive thoughts and prayers.

Darkness fell and the people searching for hours haven't found the missing. It's remarkable that only two people are missing an official said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jHdwDyfrMeb0hZBQF2USPkgEzngQD9GQL4282

Our news reported that the people involved in this accident are just stunned. I guess so. This is very tragic and senseless.

BTW, my friend's grandson goes to a day care who have a trip planned for Friday on a "Ride The Ducks" and as of tonight they said it's still on?:waitasec:

Prayers and good vibes being sent their way. Let us hope they find the missing.

Praying there will not be too many injured.

I love those Duck Boats and this is the first accident I have ever heard of involving one of them.

Blessings

Goz

I had never heard of these boats until this accident. After seeing the picture of one, I know I wouldn't get on it or allow my child to ride on it.

I was thinking this morning wouldn't it be nice if there was some mix up and these two people weren't missing at all. Just trying to think positive.

The body of who is believed to be 16 year old Dora Schwendtner was pulled from the Delaware river in close proximity to where the tourist boat had collided with a barge.

Miss Schwendtner had been in Philadelphia from Hungary on a student cultural exchange program that was to last for three weeks.

Still missing is 20 year old Szablcs Prem who is also part of the group.

Authorities and volunteers are scrambling to get the youth group plane tickets so they can return home.

Please, please pray for these poor kids who were so far away from home when something so tragic has happened.

Meanwhile Chris Herschen of Atlanta who is President of "Ride The Ducks" said the "captain" of the vehicle followed all procedures correctly.

However, The Coast Guard said they received no distress calls until the boat was actualy hit. Apparently the amphibious "ride" had broken down several times the week prior. Of course that is heresay, but I am betting thisis true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/10/us/10boat.html

Oh I almost forgot to say a huge thanks to our Police Officers, Firefighters and EMT's who are being touted as doing an excellent and very swift rescue. There were also some Navy Seals who happened to near here for some reason who also helped. Same for some everyday Philly citizens who saw the tradgedy unfold and took action. Thank you all. BTW, at the Phillies game last night they had some of the rescuers present and gave them a huge, warm and thankful hand.

The Navy SEALS were there for training. They just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

Now somebody has some 'splaining to do.

Nothing will bring back those young people, but someone best own up.

My mind can't even wrap around the fact there's parents that gave their kids a send off to a once in a lifetime experience and they are not coming back to Hungary alive.

Please everyone pray for all involved in that horrific "accident". So sad.

I had to Google all over to find a picture of a Duck Boat as I have never seen or heard of one. I don't think we have them around here. This was a very sad incident for sure.

I had to Google all over to find a picture of a Duck Boat as I have never seen or heard of one. I don't think we have them around here. This was a very sad incident for sure.

Grace, ironically enough the "Ride The Ducks" are based just outside of Atlanta. I see you are in Georgia.

Herschend Family Entertainment owns them. One of my nephews told me they have them at Stone Mountain Park. I was there like a bajillion years ago and don't recall them.

Trust me if you saw them you'd remember. If you heard the quacking you'd remember it even more. Really annoying.

It's just too sad that there's a group of kids going all the way home without their two friends safe and alive. Our prayers are with them.

Here in Pittsburgh we have "Just Ducky" tours on our rivers. Not affiliated with this particular company, but this company uses the same kind of vehicles.
We also have lots of barges being pushed by tugboats on our rivers.

From all I've read, the operator of the duck boat never made the calls to inform the Coast Guard that he was broken down and stranded on the river. Instead of making the calls he should have made, according to safety protocols,the driver only called for another duck boat to come and rescue the passengers.

Therefore, the duck boat was sitting on the river, broken down, and none of the other vessels on the river knew there was a distressed vehicle in the water, including the tugboat.

From what I've heard from boaters around here, you NEVER want to get in the way of a tug pushing a barge! The experienced boaters around here don't want to get anywhere NEAR the tugs pushing barges. Because the tugs are known to have "blind spots" and they can't see everything that is in front of them.

AS, you know originally on a news report they said the "Duck" people didn't alert the Coast Guard because they would have been fined? That doesn't sound right.

During an investigation the Mate of the Tugboat took the 5th. Basically one is blaming the other. Pretty much what you said that when that barge is getting pushed you better not be in front of it.

It's just too sad. Beautiful young people living life and that happens.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100714_NTSB_plans_river_tests_today_on_duck_boat.html

"Unwelcome Sight Greets Duck-Boat Victim's Kin"

The devastated parents traveled a continent and an ocean away to pay their respects at the site near where their children perished last month in the duck boat accident.

As they threw flowers into the river for their children they saw a duck boat pass in front of them. It was an emotional shock.

Reps of Ride The Ducks said they had no idea about the snafu until a reporter told them.

"If we had known that they would be at Penn's Landing we would never had taken the boats out BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS said Bob Salmon vice President of marketing for the company.

Unfreakinbelievable.:furious: What? Nobody in this city could communicate?

http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...ims-parents-calling-for-duck-boat-regulations

Aww, I'm sorry that happened to them. No doubt it was a shock. I have to believe the company didn't know. They wouldn't want that negative exposure IMO.

Still love the ducks! Sorry. I've just always wanted to go on one.

ETA: To be honest, I don't understand why the ducks are being blamed for this accident. It seems to be totally the tugboats fault, from what I have read. The duck was adrift. It attempted numerous contacts with the tugboat, which were not responded to. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I'm sorry this accident happened and lives were lost. I have ridden the ducks in several different cities and find them a lot of fun. In fact, we rode the duck in Philly a week before the accident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back