Identified! FL - St Petersburg, WhtFem 661UFFL, 25-35, in steamer trunk, Oct'69 - Sylvia June Atherton

galatea28

Reaction score
Unidentified White Female

- The victim was discovered on October 31, 1969 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
- Estimated Date of Death: 2-3 days prior.
- Cause of Death: Homicide

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25-35 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brownish/black hair, 8-10 inches long; brown eyes. Her hair was in rollers. She had given birth to at least one child, but not recently. She suffered from a mild gallbladder disorder.
Distinguishing Marks: Mole on left cheekbone. Mole on right forearm. Mole on left thigh. No tattoos. No marks or scars. Ears were not pierced. Her fingernails were clean and well-kept.
Clothing: Top part of a green "shortie" type nightgown. Floral design and lace at the top.
Dentals: Available. Possibly had small, partial, upper front plate, for four missing teeth. Poor oral hygiene. Surgical absence of all wisdom teeth. Teeth appeared crowded.
Fingerprints: Available.

Case History

Victim was discovered at 4200 34th Street South in St. Petersburg, FL. In a wooded area, in view of a busy, restaurant parking lot of the Oyster Bar.
She was wrapped in plastic and curled into a new steamer trunk - a plain, black foot locker. Trunk was manufactured by Nonbreakable Trunk Company and was 35 1/2 x 16 1/2 x 20 1/4.
She had been smashed in the head with a blunt object and strangled with a red string tie.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/661uffl.html

Welcome to Websleuths, Galatea.
:Welcome-12-june:

I see the resemblance. Too bad there is very little vital stats info available.

But the UID did give birth, as did MJM, and from the side-view I don't see evidence of pierced ears (although it would be hard to tell for sure). She certainly isn't wearing earrings.

I don't see any sign of a mole on her left cheek. Could one develop over four years?

2767641530045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
2430326410045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
_____
2146532090045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
2513890410045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Welcome to Websleuths, Galatea.
:Welcome-12-june:

I see the resemblance. Too bad there is very little vital stats info available.

But the UID did give birth, as did MJM, and from the side-view I don't see evidence of pierced ears (although it would be hard to tell for sure). She certainly isn't wearing earrings.

I don't see any sign of a mole on her left cheek. Could one develop over four years?

2767641530045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
2430326410045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
_____
2146532090045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
2513890410045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

It might be possible she used makeup to hide a mole, especially when being photographed? Neither of those two pictures make me think she'd go for a natural look when make-up could do better.

galatea28,
I think this is a very good possibility! I have seen the most absurd, illogical submissions on far less than what you have here. Look at the overall facial shape and circumstances. This is the first consideration. The chin and mouth area and brow bone are structure are very similar here. In photos this old I would not be concerned with ear piercings at this time. I have several cases where the ME does not list ears that are pierced and some where the ears were definitely NOT pierced and they called as such when it turned out to be part of the overall ear trauma.

My suggestion (you did put this out for discussion?) Is that you look for more photos and other information. Every bit of info you can find on the missing. Here is one (see below)where the photo is clearer. For the sake of argument regarding facial irregularities, notice how the same photo shows the facial shape different simply because of the printing. You will learn what is relevant in images and what is not.

http://www.michigandoes.com/MP/MaryMcLaughlin.html

Also note the mark on the L cheek of the missing person. I have taken all photos shown here and enhanced and enlarged than and there is definitely something on her skin that interferes with the uniform pixels on enhancement.

I believe the mark is consistent with a mole. And yes, a mole can form very quickly. I had a follow up appointment at a dermatologist who removed a facial mole that developed within 6 months. Benign but skin change in a short period of time. I don't think you will find any photo this old that is clear enough to determine a piercing but you may find more person information on the MP

Let us know what you find on the MP. I will check for you and post what I find.
:twocents:

galatea28
To add to other post:
Take into consideration she left of her own accord and it was 'rumored' (Charley article) she was having extramarital affairs. This is important ONLY in profiling lifestyle behavior and not for lifestyle judgment. This information tells us she could have actually traveled the world in fours years. Don't get stuck in geographical location unless or until you have a MP who never liked to leave home or other circumstances where he/she simply would not likely be far from home.

In photos this old I would not be concerned with ear piercings at this time.

The UID was described as having no piercings, so if there were earrings (that were clearly not clip-ons), or if you could see piercings in the photo then it would be a point of concern. My comment with respect to piercings was only made insofar as that you cannot rule her out on that basis.

It shouldn't be seen as a point of affirmative confirmation because of the lack of clarity of the photo, and that she could have had them pierced after her DLC.

On second look, from the straight-on photo, there definitely is a mark that looks like a mole on her left cheek.

On second look, from the straight-on photo, there definitely is a mark that looks like a mole on her left cheek.

I can see it too. I think it is a little harder to see in a black and white.

I also found it a bit more than coincidental the UID was found in FL and Mary Jeans ex had moved from Michigan to Mississippi shortly after disappearance. Geographically the distance between FL and MS (correct state abbv?) is a little more than coincidental in this case considering the distance of both from Michigan. That stood out to me.

JMO

Very minor point, but the description says "Mole on left cheekbone" (although there is no way of verifying whether the description was precise). The mark in MJM's photo appears to be closer to her ear or jawbone.

The reconstruction doesn't appear to depict a mole. There is a little shading in front of her earlobe, but it doesn't appear to me that this is an intentional depiction of a mole.

Very minor point, but the description says "Mole on left cheekbone" (although there is no way of verifying whether the description was precise). The mark in MJM's photo appears to be closer to her ear or jawbone.

The reconstruction doesn't appear to depict a mole. There is a little shading in front of her earlobe, but it doesn't appear to me that this is an intentional depiction of a mole.
Yes, I think it is a 'minor' point also. each time I post a comment about a mole in a description I add in parentheses (viewing R or L) Doctors have actually performed surgery on the wrong side of the body because their brain cannot justify the image view from the exact. Amazing. Also, what one describes as the side of the face and the cheek is subjective. This is why we have so much bad information in these site descriptions.

Considering this woman gave birth to five (5) children and no one knows her eye color or how tall she was, I would not be surprised at anything.
The overall head structure says much more.

Yes. I got a mole on my cheek after having my first child, it appeared practically overnight and is still there (thirteen years later).

I remember the mention of moles appearing during pregnancy with regards to the Carbon County Beth Doe case, so that's a very good point.

galatea28,
I think this is a very good possibility! I have seen the most absurd, illogical submissions on far less than what you have here. Look at the overall facial shape and circumstances. This is the first consideration. The chin and mouth area and brow bone are structure are very similar here. In photos this old I would not be concerned with ear piercings at this time. I have several cases where the ME does not list ears that are pierced and some where the ears were definitely NOT pierced and they called as such when it turned out to be part of the overall ear trauma.

My suggestion (you did put this out for discussion?) Is that you look for more photos and other information. Every bit of info you can find on the missing. Here is one (see below)where the photo is clearer. For the sake of argument regarding facial irregularities, notice how the same photo shows the facial shape different simply because of the printing. You will learn what is relevant in images and what is not.

http://www.michigandoes.com/MP/MaryMcLaughlin.html

Also note the mark on the L cheek of the missing person. I have taken all photos shown here and enhanced and enlarged than and there is definitely something on her skin that interferes with the uniform pixels on enhancement.

I believe the mark is consistent with a mole. And yes, a mole can form very quickly. I had a follow up appointment at a dermatologist who removed a facial mole that developed within 6 months. Benign but skin change in a short period of time. I don't think you will find any photo this old that is clear enough to determine a piercing but you may find more person information on the MP

Let us know what you find on the MP. I will check for you and post what I find.
:twocents:

Thanks mensch. I didn't noticed that mark.
I was thinking she developed the mole after she went missing.

I have never done this before and there is more than a fair few reasons this is completely wrong but I just keep coming back too Winifred Long

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/long_winifred.html

So much seems to be known about the lady in the trunk (teeth etc) and so little known about Winifred. Since she was last seen at Greyhound bus station she could of ended up anywhere.

How spot on are sketches in the 60s when someone has died in this way? Stupid question i know. Can anyone point me too solved cases in this time where I can look at sketches compared to photos? All new too this, please be nice *blush*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back