Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 259UFFL
http://doenetwork.org/cases/259uffl.html
NamUs UP Case 522 https://identifyus.org/cases/522

259UFFL.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on December 29, 2003 in Christmas, Orange County, Florida
* Estimated Date of Death: More than 30 days prior.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 21-35 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'3".
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish/brown, long (beyond shoulder length) and slightly wavy hair. Pierced ears.
* Clothing: Two white stone post earrings were present. No other clothing, shoes or personal effects found.
* Fingerprints: Not available
* Dentals: Available; may have had braces and had them removed unprofessionally. One tooth has the remnant of a metallic brace bracket on the outer edge. No third molars are present. Multiple fillings present. Crooked front teeth.
* DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was located at the 4700 block of Taylor Creek Road in Christmas, Florida on December 29, 2003. Two garbage men were on their normal route and smelled a foul odor coming from the woods. They found what appeared to be human remains. This area is normally traveled by hunters.

259UFFL1.jpg
259UFFL2.jpg
259UFFL3.jpg

Jewelry located at the scene believed to be the victims.

Pamela Jayne Holopainen looks like an interesting possibility.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/holopainen_pamela.html

2775120540045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2240549670045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
259UFFL.jpg

It says in her NAMPN profile that she "had worn braces in the past, but were removed." It doesn't say whether or not they were removed by a dentist or orthodontist.

The UID's jewelry includes "two white stone post earrings", and "up to 4 rings". She appears to be wearing a white post earring in her side-view photo (along with a ring-type earring alongside of it). There is no way of knowing whether one of her 4 rings include one that looks like the one found with the UID.

However, her DLC was only 15 days prior to the remains being found. This is less than the UID's postmortem interval of "over 30 days".

That is an intriguing potential match. Everything looks right facially including the rather unusual chin. But Ontario to Florida? In 15 days? Stranger things have happened, I guess -- and time of death can be way off.

The brace thing especially seems to make it worth submitting.

While googling for additional info, I found that there is a 50K (probably Canadian Dollars) reward for info leading to the arrest and conviction of persons responsible for her disappearance.

Needless to say, I jumped right on the phone to report this possible connection to the Ontario Provincial Police. The reward isn't for finding her body, but perhaps if it is a match, it might lead to who killed her.

NamUs indicates the PM interval as "weeks"

ETA: Florida weather is quite humid, and bodies decompose much quicker in humid weather. Also, she was found in a wooded area where there would be significantly more animal and insect activity to speed up the degradation of the remains.

Here is a photo of the UID's post-earrings (From NamUs) with a close-up of Pamela's left ear.

2671856280045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

It's not clear whether they are the same earrings, although they seem to be a little bit smaller, and Pamela's post-earring appears to be more spherical and opaque.

A woman who wears earrings like that almost certainly has several pairs, and changes them to match her outfit etc. The one in the picture looks almost like a pearl to me, though it's hard to see for sure.

It does establish that she was fond of a similar style.

How about Salena Tackett ? Shes in the age range, they didnt provide height or weight.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/tackett_salena.html

I hate that when they don't provide height and weight.

Salena has the right chin, and she has the long bangs like the UID. The circumstances don't give a clear sense of whether she died around the time of her DLC, so the nearly one-year timeframe is not a problem.

Her cheekbones don't quite look the same though, IMO. I'm a little suspicious of the accuracy of the reconstruction because no human being's left corner of the forehead extends that far outside the vertical plane of their eyes.

I got a call-back from Sgt. Larry Walsh from the Ontario Provincial Police.

I gave him all of the information on the cases and explained why I thought this could be a match. He said that he would be passing this info on to an investigator, and I would be hearing from them again sometime next week.

I found Pamela's sister on facebook, and asked her (1) whether she recognized the ring, and (2) if Pamela had her braces removed unprofessionally.

She said that Pamela got her rings from their mother, who is now deceased. She stated the following:

I don't know if it's because I want to find my sister so bad that the ring looks familiar or of something my mother could of bought her so that's why I'm saying I don't know. If my mother was alive I'm sure she would know instantly.

As for the braces, she says that they were removed at the orthodontist, but they were removed early because she was having problems with them. She also said that they were removed only a couple of weeks before her disappearance, and it is possible that the orthodontist was not thorough due to the possibility that they might be re-installed.

She said that Pamela's common-law was abusive to her and that she had quite a bit of trouble getting LE interested in looking into Pamela's disappearance. It wasn't until two years later that LE decided that this might be something other than just a voluntary disappearance. Only then did they start searching landfills and nearby wooded areas, and they took her common-law's truck for forensic testing.

I have sent her another question, asking whether her common-law was possibly involved in drug trafficking. That would explain a sudden unannounced trip to Florida.

I was thinking the braces could have been removed by the perp, too, to conceal her identity. Braces on an adult aren't very common.

If the objective was to conceal her identity, it would have been simpler and more effective to remove her teeth. And they probably would not have stopped at the teeth. They would remove the hands, and probably mutilate her face as well.

If the objective was to conceal her identity, it would have been simpler and more effective to remove her teeth. And they probably would not have stopped at the teeth. They would remove the hands, and probably mutilate her face as well.

Hm. Good point.

EDIT:

This is highly unlikely (then again I'm no profiler) but...I wonder how she died. Maybe the perp doesn't like "gore" and strangled her, but took the braces off because he/she was too freaked out by getting rid of body parts. This would scream female perp to me, actually.

Just trying to think outside the box, you never know! :)

Hm. Good point.

EDIT:

This is highly unlikely (then again I'm no profiler) but...I wonder how she died. Maybe the perp doesn't like "gore" and strangled her, but took the braces off because he/she was too freaked out by getting rid of body parts. This would scream female perp to me, actually.

Just trying to think outside the box, you never know! :)

That's good that you're thinking outside of the box. But it would seem to me that someone who is squeamish about gore isn't the type to be killing people in the first place - especially by strangulation.

The type of person who kills by strangulation is typically a sadistic sociopath who enjoys the act of killing and the distress inflicted on the victim, and probably would have no problem dealing with the body parts.

I was not coming up with many scenarios that would require one's braces to be forcefully removed, but one that came to mind was if she was kidnapped and forced into prostitution before she was killed. Presumably braces would not be an attraction then.

Or perhaps she was just a runaway who had no intention of returning to the orthodontist. If that was the case, considering her age, she may have run away several years prior and had been on the road ever since.

well Carl, the UID is still in Namus but your submission of Pamela Jayne Holopainen was ruled out. here is the official list of rule outs:

Julia Fraser 1984 Virginia
Rose Marie Gayhart 1962 Florida
Pamela Hall 1978 Florida
Valerie Harmon Unknown Tennessee
Pamela Holopainen 1981 Florida
Melissa Hovey 1971 Florida
Wendy Hudakoc 1984 Florida
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Anne Mason 1964 Florida
Mindy Metz Unknown Florida
Ilene Misheloff 1975 California
Dawn Pederson 1981 Florida