Elizabeth Johnson's Court Hearings & Charges

I am not sure if this is the right place to post..if not I apologize...but just curious, and this may have been already asked and answered...if the psychologist or psychiatrist were to learn of anything in regards to this case during EJ's evaluation, do they have to disclose this to LE or does HIPPA come into play here?

This from the Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Act-United States Department of Human Health. Looks like they would have to report any info regarding Gabriel's whereabouts to LE.

Law Enforcement Purposes. Covered entities may disclose protected health
information to law enforcement officials for law enforcement purposes under
the following six circumstances, and subject to specified conditions:
(1) as required by law (including court orders, court-ordered warrants, subpoenas)and administrative requests;
(2) to identify or locate a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person;
(3) in response to a law enforcement
official’s request for information about a victim or suspected victim of a
crime;
(4) to alert law enforcement of a person’s death, if the covered entity
suspects that criminal activity caused the death;

(5) when a covered entity believes that protected health information is evidence of a crime that occurred on its premises; and
(6) by a covered health care provider in a medical emergency not occurring on its premises, when necessary to inform law enforcement about the commission and nature of a crime, the location of the crime or crime victims, and the perpetrator of the crime.34

Link:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/privacysummary.pdf

This from the Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Act-United States Department of Human Health. Looks like they would have to report any info regarding Gabriel's whereabouts to LE.

Law Enforcement Purposes. Covered entities may disclose protected health
information to law enforcement officials for law enforcement purposes under
the following six circumstances, and subject to specified conditions:
(1) as required by law (including court orders, court-ordered warrants, subpoenas)and administrative requests;
(2) to identify or locate a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person;
(3) in response to a law enforcement
official’s request for information about a victim or suspected victim of a
crime;
(4) to alert law enforcement of a person’s death, if the covered entity
suspects that criminal activity caused the death;

(5) when a covered entity believes that protected health information is evidence of a crime that occurred on its premises; and
(6) by a covered health care provider in a medical emergency not occurring on its premises, when necessary to inform law enforcement about the commission and nature of a crime, the location of the crime or crime victims, and the perpetrator of the crime.34

Link:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/privacysummary.pdf

Thank you so much for finding that! I have wondered about this for a long time!
If she does say anything there, sounds like it will be relayed to LE.

just a further note... this relates to an apparent interview of EJ on May 10 by Detective Salame as well as unknown person(s) from the MCSO. IIRC this would be after EJ's attorney had filed the Rule 11 motion. I wonder how this meeting came about and why her attorney was not present.

It doesn't say she didn't have an attorney present. It will be interesting if it was a formal LE interview. I wonder if we'll find out what it was all about. Maybe Salame happened to be at the jail and asked "Hey Elizabeth, how's it going?", and the attorney want's to make sure nothing else was asked, or that she didn't volunteer any info. She is, after all, a loose cannon.

I wonder if she didn't have an attorney there, and Salame just happened to stop by the jail and see her and say Hi, and if she did, unprompted, start spewing case-related info, what happens with that.

any news yet on what happened with this meeting for today concerning that May 10 interview?

any news yet on what happened with this meeting for today concerning that May 10 interview?

I think it was said for 1:30 AZ time...I's 2:00 here CST, so I'm guessing for me, 3:30....I'd love to hear something out it it, but by the way things are going, I doubt we will...

Anxiously awaiting today's results on EJ's competency.
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...l_phoenix/5-things-happening-in-arizona-today
Case of Tempe mom, accused in son's disappearance, back in court.

A case review for Elizabeth Johnson will be heard at 1:30 this afternoon, though she will not be present in court.

Johnson is charged with child abuse, kidnapping, attempted custodial interference and custodial interference in the case of her missing 8-month-old son Gabriel.

Attorneys: Missing baby’s mom not competent for trial
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Elizabeth Johnson, the incarcerated mother of missing baby Gabriel Johnson, was deemed competent to stand trial and her mental restoration process complete, according to information from the court, but a Maricopa County Superior Court commissioner on Thursday granted her attorneys an evidentiary hearing to contest the findings in the report.

http://eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_0d4f8464-a66a-11df-bbb7-001cc4c03286.html

Attorneys: Missing baby’s mom not competent for trial
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Elizabeth Johnson, the incarcerated mother of missing baby Gabriel Johnson, was deemed competent to stand trial and her mental restoration process complete, according to information from the court, but a Maricopa County Superior Court commissioner on Thursday granted her attorneys an evidentiary hearing to contest the findings in the report.

http://eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_0d4f8464-a66a-11df-bbb7-001cc4c03286.html

I realize her attorney is going to contest this...but still...thank you thank you thank you!!!! I knew she could be restored!!! I hope and pray that something happens soon...please let something happen soon. I will never rest easy until I know where Gabriel is.

I feel Johnson is just being uncooperative, it makes me angry these lawyers are still trying to defend someone like her with the insanity plea, when she is obviously well and restored (she was prob fine in the first place). Just make her stand trial and do the right thing already....! However, my feeling is Johnson will never speak..... and these trials and hearings will be delayed and delayed.

kissdegirl: i saw your signature above, it's sad there are so many tragic stories involving young kids in Arizona...

I feel Johnson is just being uncooperative, it makes me angry these lawyers are still trying to defend someone like her with the insanity plea, when she is obviously well and restored (she was prob fine in the first place). Just make her stand trial and do the right thing already....! However, my feeling is Johnson will never speak..... and these trials and hearings will be delayed and delayed.

kissdegirl: i saw your signature above, it's sad there are so many tragic stories involving young kids in Arizona...

It is so very sad and tragic. These boys in particular, have changed my life forever. I will never be the same. I will never treat my kids the same way I did before them. I hope for more. I hope thousands of people change the lives of at least one child as a result of these sweeties. My heart is broken wide open...I pray we get some kind of justice for Gabriel and Sylar.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_0d4f8464-a66a-11df-bbb7-001cc4c03286.html

snip
"Johnson’s attorneys also will present discovery including new evidence involving the case before the court at that time."

New evidence? I would think that EJ's attorneys would only present evidence that could clear EJ, so I, for one, am really curious as to what the new evidence is - did she identify the couple who took Gabe from her; does she know where Gabe was going; did she record phone calls with "the trusted third party" while on the run; did the attorney "dig up" something on someone else who was involved...?

So many possibilities, but the biggest question of all - will this new evidence finally bring Gabriel home?

If that evidence would bring Gabriel home hopefully they wouldn't wait until September to present it. If EJ's attorneys are presenting it then I'm pretty sure it's in her favor which hopefully is more evidence Gabriel was handed off and is still alive. More, accurate information on the couple would be great. I also would like to know Mike Sakals source on the info of new evidence-it's not stated in the article.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/article_0d4f8464-a66a-11df-bbb7-001cc4c03286.html

snip
"Johnson’s attorneys also will present discovery including new evidence involving the case before the court at that time."

New evidence? I would think that EJ's attorneys would only present evidence that could clear EJ, so I, for one, am really curious as to what the new evidence is - did she identify the couple who took Gabe from her; does she know where Gabe was going; did she record phone calls with "the trusted third party" while on the run; did the attorney "dig up" something on someone else who was involved...?

So many possibilities, but the biggest question of all - will this new evidence finally bring Gabriel home?

I thought alot about this last nite as I tossed and turned in bed:(...I too wonder about this..he is going to present this "new evidence" at the evidenciary hearing to contest the Rule 11 decision. Very curious. I don't know what it could be but like everyone else I hope whatever it is..it brings Gabriel home. This case has forever changed me...living in SA, living 5 min from the park, sharing Gabriels birthday, my husband and stepson sharing Gabriels name...all too much. I just want Gabriel home with his daddy I want Logan to not be in so much pain anymore...he deserves to have his son back with him. Not a day goes by that I don't think of this esp as I watch my 4 yr old change day in and day out. Logan if you read any of this...you have alot of supporters...ALOT. May you find some small sense of comfort in that. I will continue praying and praying and praying. We love you Gabriel Scott Johnson...you have brought alot of people together.

snip

I'm glad she was found competent, but I'm also wondering what the new evidence is. I really wish they would get on with this already. There is a sweet innocent child out there that needs to be found and they are dragging this on to September now. It's digusting and unjust for Gabriel and his family. More stall tactics I'm thinking.

I'm glad she was found competent, but I'm also wondering what the new evidence is. I really wish they would get on with this already. There is a sweet innocent child out there that needs to be found and they are dragging this on to September now. It's digusting and unjust for Gabriel and his family. More stall tactics I'm thinking.

I had this forum short cutted on my desktop and have seen, so so sadly, less and less activity on this case. I can't believe a baby can disappear and there not be more outrage about it. Unfortunately, it's because other so many other children have gone missing since Gabriel's disappearance.

I'm not excited about the "new evidence". I agree with Litlred, just more BS and stall tactics.

Is so frustrating. SHE knows where he is and will never, ever tell. Or would she. What would it take for her to talk?

Here's our thread for Elizabeth talking:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98468"]Why Won't Elizabeth Talk?!? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975
Back