Tai chi eases fibromyalgia symptoms, study finds

Wow, interesting this should come up today. I've only left my sofa twice today. DD to school/DD from school. My joints have me in misery.

I've not been dx with fibromyalgia yet but after 7-8 drs and tons of "normal" test results for everthing else under the sun, I feel a fibromyalgia dx is on my horizon.

I will definitly look into this. Thanks so much for the info!

Thank you Dark Knight. This could prove to provide some relief for all that are suffering. News like this can't come at at better time.

We can always count on you to keep us up to date.

Always
Goz:angel:

I'm no expert, but I did do a year of Tai Chi with one of my theater classes.

It's quite gentle, actually (at least for beginners). It's also rather spiritual--but not in a dogmatic, "You must believe in a certain deity or any deity at all," sort of way. Not even the most devout atheist could object.

For those with joint problems or fibromyalgia, I can't see how it could possibly hurt to try...

I have had severe fibromyalgia for 16 years. I have thought about trying Tai Chi, but am reticent as physical exercise usually exacerbates me to the point of being unable to walk or move my arms. Even water exercise makes it so I can't walk. But, I think I will look into it. One never knows.

I have had severe fibromyalgia for 16 years. I have thought about trying Tai Chi, but am reticent as physical exercise usually exacerbates me to the point of being unable to walk or move my arms. Even water exercise makes it so I can't walk. But, I think I will look into it. One never knows.

I'm no more a doctor than I am a Tai Chi expert, so I trust you won't take any advice from me on the subject.

But the beginning classes I took had more to do with breathing and learning to achieve certain poses than with what we think of as "strenuous" exercise. That's not to say no effort is required, but it may not be the type of effort that leaves you debilitated.

Belinda, I wish you and Gozgals and I didn't live so far apart. I'd suggest we all try a class together. Not that I have fibromyalgia or anything similar, but I'm so out of shape I could use the activity.

I guess I didn't make the cut! Oh well. lol

Kimberly - Please PM me if there is anything I can do for you. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Kimberly - Please PM me if there is anything I can do for you. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I'm fine girl! I was just making a joke.

I'm fine girl! I was just making a joke.

Kimberly..Too bad your LA and my LA aren't closer! My Fibro has been acting up in this heat. Unlike so many others the heat really affects me in the worse way! I have my A/C set on frozen food and 2 fans going by the vents to circulate the cold air!! It makes it worse when I have to go out in the 97 degree heat to pick up my grandson after school! I think the Tai Chi would be something to look into though. I have always thought it looked so cool and spiritual. They have classes at the senior center near my house.

Belinda..I bet we could use some of your expertise on the Fibromyalgia thread in The Jury Room!! Hope you all have a pain free day!

Dolly, I'm like you, the heat/hot weather is so much more painful to me...yet ironically I get some relief from heating pads, so go figure. My pain is in both legs, hips, back, and groin and some parts can be attributed to specific causes and others not. Like Belinda, it is much worse after even the gentlest regiment of exercise which makes me scared to try many things. I can't bend my legs at the knee so it is hard to get into any sort of positions. But I will check this out, maybe I can find a DVD and do a few things on my own. Good luck to you all.

Kimberly..Too bad your LA and my LA aren't closer! My Fibro has been acting up in this heat. Unlike so many others the heat really affects me in the worse way! I have my A/C set on frozen food and 2 fans going by the vents to circulate the cold air!! It makes it worse when I have to go out in the 97 degree heat to pick up my grandson after school! I think the Tai Chi would be something to look into though. I have always thought it looked so cool and spiritual. They have classes at the senior center near my house.

Belinda..I bet we could use some of your expertise on the Fibromyalgia thread in The Jury Room!! Hope you all have a pain free day!

Thanks Dolly! I wonder if the heat and humidity here in the Bayou state is why in suffering so bad right now.

I guess I didn't make the cut! Oh well. lol

Kimberly, I know you're joking, but I am so sorry! I certainly didn't mean to exclude you.

Belinda and Gozgals and I have been corresponding a lot on other threads, so I "know" them better and their names came to mind.

I'm sure it would be a privilege to join any group to which you belong.

(ETA again, I don't have fibromyalgia and don't mean to insert myself into this "group." But the condition just sounds awful and I have the ultimate sympathy for anyone who suffers from it!)

Wow. People here actually know what this is! I have always been opposite as far as temp. I tell people I am allergic to cold. I don't even put ice cubes in my drinks! However, I found in recent years I have also become very intolerant of heat. Used to be 100 degree weather didn't bother me in the slightest and I always felt much better in the summer. Now, not so much. However, cold still causes the most pain. My fibro encompasses almost every joint in my body. Having 2 spinal fusions has, of course, not helped things any. I will need to locate the Jury Room. Had no idea there was a thread on this.

Belinda, temperatures of any extremes really will bother these conditions. The aches and pains will act up as Dolly has mentioned. The barametric pressure changes play a big role in the pain. Humidity seems to bother me greatly.

I seem to ache more when it is too hot or too cold so we have this in common. Glad to see you post on the thread. Maybe that is what is also playing a role in the sleep patterns too. Just guessing. These are very complex disorders.

Living by Nova and joining a group would be ideal..:woohoo: I'm sure Tai chi can benefit anyone.

Goz

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10