Tropical Storm Gaston Has Formed

:(

This is just way too much. Settle down, Mother Nature.

Global warming. It might not get any better.

It's not global warming, lol, they kept saying it was that after 2004 and 2005 and then we had 4 years of almost NO activity, including 2 years where not a single storm touched the mainland. It's cyclical.

It's not global warming, lol, they kept saying it was that after 2004 and 2005 and then we had 4 years of almost NO activity, including 2 years where not a single storm touched the mainland. It's cyclical.

There was not "no activity" since 2005. Hurricane Ike was in 2008.

I don't want to get into a global warming debate, or any other kind of debate. But...with the exception of 2006 and 2009, both el Nino years, the Atlantic hurricane seasons have been very active since 2005.

Dean and Felix were Cat 5 storms of 2007. It was an active year with a total of 15 named storms, about seven or eight of which became hurricanes.

2008 was an amazing year for Atlantic storms, one of the most active on record. The present season reminds me of 2008 when Gustav, Hanna, Ike, and Josephine were active simultaneously at the beginning of September. Hanna devastated Haiti, Gustav battered the Lousiana coast, and Ike pretty much wiped out Galveston Beach and is the largest recorded storm to date. We returned from our 5 day Gustav hurrication and thought we'd have to turn around and leave again to escape Ike.

Prior to 2005, 2004 had at least 15 named storms. (I remember Otto, but don't remember if there were any after him.) Ivan reached Cat 5 strength that year, but weakened before coming ashore in Cameron, LA.

In either 2002 or 2003 (guess I could google it) my office was closed two Wednesdays in a row due to hurricanes. I could go back further, but I won't. I will say that simply gauging from the number of times we've had to evacuate, or have come come close to evacuating, since 1998 as compared to prior years, there has most definitely been an increase in Atlantic cyclone events. And since I'm a weather junkie, I know the facts will support that, I just don't have them committed to memory. ;)

There was not "no activity" since 2005. Hurricane Ike was in 2008.

I said ALMOST none, there were a couple of the usual exceptions, and very little from the U.S. point of view. People stopped believing the forecasters saying we would have an active year due to the amount of times it didn't seem to come true until this year. (I start the threads containing the hurricane forecasts, many became skeptical of them.) There may be climate change, but the hurricane seasons are cyclical, even the experts say that much.

143812W5_NL_sm.gif

I'm seeing predictions that Gaston will be more likely to hit the US than Earl, even.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back