GUILTY PA - William Rhoads for raping 4 boys, Chester County, 2010

My most despised pedophiles. The old creepers. William Rhoads a 70 year old youth baseball coach and former physics teacher and mechanical engineer has been arrested on charges of sexually molesting three boys including a 4 year old. A 4 year old, people.

It was the poor little boy who told his mother and got the ball rolling with charges against this vile man. Next came a 10 year old and a 15 year old who said Rhoads molested him from 2003-2005. The 10 year old told LE that Rhoads taped him and told the child he enjoyed watching the tape over and over.

Sick, sad, ugly, vile, horrible what this creep did for these kids. My fear there's a child out there who has not told, and won't get help.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/103296504.html?cmpid=15585797

A child?? He's 70. That means that those victims stretch over more than half a century. YIKES.

Brave little guy. There's some smart little cookies out there.

We are a very active softball family and these stories just make me ill.

IMO children that age should NEVER be left alone with a coach. I'm of the mind set better safe than sorry.

And, if the coach has some sort of "no parents" at practice rule with kids that young... well, that's just HINKY to me to begin with.

Parents, please don't just drop your children off at practice. You never know what is happening when you are not there. Esp children that young.

JMO

Another well respected man who "gave" of himself to children. I like what the First Assistant District Attorney, Patrick Carmody, said of the arrest:

"These kind of crimes make you wish you could charge someone with the theft of a childhood."

http://www.phoenixvillenews.com/articles/2010/09/22/news/doc4c98f5a423f21119364907.txt

70-year-old youth coach charged with raping boys

"A police investigation has led to the arrest of a 70-year-old retired schoolteacher and youth baseball coach on charges that he allegedly sexually assaulted four young boys over the course of several years, videotaping some of the encounters.

William Lee Rhoads of Charlestown was taken into custody Sunday at his home after returning from an overseas vacation with his wife, and charged with multiple counts of rape of a child, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, aggravated indecent assault, indecent assault, possession of child *advertiser censored*, and related crimes.

and

"...Police said Rhoads was a coach and former president with the Kimberton Youth Athletic League..."

and

"...."I don't want to start a panic," said Carmody, "but the problems with child abusers is that they go where the children are."

more at link

Note that several comments are made about this not being "top" news in the area. When you think of the possible victim base, I would have to agree that this man's face needs to be seen. Smirk and all.

How did I miss this!!??

"The detective said Rhoads traveled abroad extensively, and had arrangements in place to leave the country on two trips in 2011, including a vacation to Southeast Asia, one of the reasons why his bail was set as high as it was."

Five million bail. And what was Mr. Rhoads planning on doing in Southeast Asia? Do retired Physics teachers really have those kind of funds? He just got back from Italy, after all. Are they certain he wasn't selling those videos?

What a pompous smirk!

Guess what perv, your days are numbered

I hope these perverted pigs keep on being stupid enough to photograph or tape their own prosecution evidence. I hate what they do to these children, but I love that they supply their own evidence!:loser:

The most recent victim is only 4 years old!!!!!!
He has been involved in the youth program for the last 30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He probably has hundreds of victims.
This makes me sick!!!!
I hope he is sued till he's penniless.
moo

My daughter played softball at that league for 10 yrs. Creeps me out that I never had a clue :( Poor kids. Disgusting!!!

I noticed that Rhoads' wife was named in the articles about the arrest. Does this woman accompany her husband on this frequent travel? Was she planning on going to Asia with him? Maybe she loves the museums or shopping while Rhoads takes special "seminars".

How could she miss such little ones coming into her home, though? That worries me.

I also wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of past victims at the all girls school. I'm not certain what ages were taught there during Rhoads' tenure but pedophiles have been known to prey on prepubescent girls, even if their interest is in little boys. They can be equal opportunity abusers.

I'm hoping that someone local can clear this up. I've read that Villa Maria is a college prep day school for grades 9-12. Here's the history of the school:

http://www.vmahs.org/about/About VMA.html

Then I noticed that there was mention of a Lower School in 1979 and found this:

http://www.villamaria.org/

This discusses Kindergarten through 8th grade. It's important to know just what ages were taught at the school site when Rhoads was there, IMO. And not just what students he might have personally taught in his classes but what age students were on site or involved in the sports programs, as he seems to have a long history of coaching.

IMO, the net needs to cast as wide as necessary to find as many victims as possible.

I'm hoping that someone local can clear this up. I've read that Villa Maria is a college prep day school for grades 9-12. Here's the history of the school:

http://www.vmahs.org/about/About VMA.html

Then I noticed that there was mention of a Lower School in 1979 and found this:

http://www.villamaria.org/

This discusses Kindergarten through 8th grade. It's important to know just what ages were taught at the school site when Rhoads was there, IMO. And not just what students he might have personally taught in his classes but what age students were on site or involved in the sports programs, as he seems to have a long history of coaching.

IMO, the net needs to cast as wide as necessary to find as many victims as possible.

Izzy, I am not local, but know it's a very good school. I also know it's Sister's Of The Immaculate Heart. We always thought they were the meanest Nuns. We had just Sister's Of St. Joseph until we got to High School and then when we had Immacualte Heart Nuns phewie.

Again, it's an excellent school according to my girlfriend. Her DD's attended. Then there'd be the "Well, I'm sticking with the Mount for my kids". That's a school where the Sister's Of Saint Joseph run the show.

Sorry all O/T but I do not believe the school had any role in this or missed any signs.

Filly--I wasn't clear. I am not in any way saying that the school was complicit. I was merely trying to point out that this guy is good at what he does and he seems to like young ones. If there were any little boys or girls around that school (and there must have been--children of staff, etc), he'd be after them. This guy's also been involved in coaching forever. Surely little kids showed up for games.

So often schools and even neighborhoods want to quickly dismiss the possibility that it "couldn't happen here" for whatever reason and that's just not true. Remember how almost all of Bradley's known victims were girls but there was at least one little boy. Same with the Mohlers. I was told about another pedophile who fancied young boys who raped his own daughter before her young body blossomed. I just don't want any possible victim overlooked. The parents in that general area need to scour their brains for the last several decades concerning any possible connection with this slimeball. And that's not even considering the foreign travel.

I haven't seen any local comments yet. It will be interesting to see if there were red flags or not.

I'm so glad I'm a member here. Reading all these threads about every form of pedophile, murderer, bad people in general has really opened my eyes as to what some humans are capable of. I don't feel over protective or over-bearing in my hoovering over my children. I go to lunch every day at my youngest school just to have a mid day check on him.

What makes me so mad is that these pedophiles have done to my own sense of security. I look at our hugely obesse principle and his friendship w/ the local childrens photographer sideways now. I give the new male pe teacher an extra look so he knows I'm looking at him. I could never drop my son off. Anywhere. We even limit his time w/ friends who have alot of older kids around their house cause one of them shoved the younger ones into a closet and forced them to show their genitals to each other. A pedophile in the making to me.
You know what makes me extra mad, is that IMO boys need strong male figures in their lives. I would love to have good male teacher for my son but I am more comfortable w/ the females, until high school i guess when the females prey on the older teen males.
It's just horrible how these "people" effect all of us.

But again I am thankful for this site and it's posters posting all this info.

Toby--You're doing a great job but also remember to keep the communication open. I was a very protective mother of my children. In fact, my husband and I parented full time for several years when the eight youngest were little and had so many challenges. We were at the school day in, day out. No TV in the house, safe and monitored play. No play-dates unless they were at the park. And then.......

Our children were raped by their librarian's teen son--our neighbor. Most of them didn't have much social contact due to their disabilities and so they were excited when he played with them. We felt a little sorry for the teen as he didn't fit in either. Trust me, I honestly think that that young man groomed me and my husband more than the children. He threatened the children but he groomed us. He was very very good at what he did.

Parents can't be everywhere, try as we might. One of our sons was raped in the school restroom twice during school hours, after all. I couldn't have been there. Several were raped in the fort at the top of our wonderful play structure as I stood washing dishes. We'd designed the kitchen with a corner sink to look out at the play area. Imagine my pain when the children testified that they could see me as they were being raped but I couldn't see them. No forts ever again for this family.

Communication and eyes wide open and trusting your gut about everything is the way to go. FWIW, some of our best teachers have been male. And never forget that females can abuse too.

Filly--I wasn't clear. I am not in any way saying that the school was complicit. I was merely trying to point out that this guy is good at what he does and he seems to like young ones. If there were any little boys or girls around that school (and there must have been--children of staff, etc), he'd be after them. This guy's also been involved in coaching forever. Surely little kids showed up for games.

So often schools and even neighborhoods want to quickly dismiss the possibility that it "couldn't happen here" for whatever reason and that's just not true. Remember how almost all of Bradley's known victims were girls but there was at least one little boy. Same with the Mohlers. I was told about another pedophile who fancied young boys who raped his own daughter before her young body blossomed. I just don't want any possible victim overlooked. The parents in that general area need to scour their brains for the last several decades concerning any possible connection with this slimeball. And that's not even considering the foreign travel.

I haven't seen any local comments yet. It will be interesting to see if there were red flags or not.

The Upper School and the Lower School are separated by about 4 miles. The Lower School is across the street from Immaculata University. I am unaware of any red flags as to the Villa Maria or Immaculata students. My impression is that he was totally interested in boys, and that is why he got involved in the youth sports in his neighborhood.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back