Terri's Constitutional Rights

eyes4crime

Go Chicago Bears!
Reaction score
What Are "Constitutional Rights"?

Constitutional rights are those rights which are described in the Federal Constitution, and the constitution of your state. Your constitutional rights are your strongest protection against improper police conduct, and wrongful conviction. Most constitutional rights were composed in reaction to specific abuses by British authorities, during Colonial times. The rights described in the Federal Constitution must be observed by all agents of the federal government.

What Are My Most Important Federal Constitutional Rights, In Criminal Proceedings? (to find out - click on link)

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/criminal/constitution.html#Q3

My comment: If your face happens to be the last face remembered by a witness at the scene of a murder - you will want the best criminal defense attorney you can afford. I'm sure you will want him/her to know the Constitution inside and out so that he/she will afford to you all that this country has to offer. Just think of the trauma an innocent person experiences when sitting on 'death row'. moo mho

What Are "Constitutional Rights"?

Constitutional rights are those rights which are described in the Federal Constitution, and the constitution of your state. Your constitutional rights are your strongest protection against improper police conduct, and wrongful conviction. Most constitutional rights were composed in reaction to specific abuses by British authorities, during Colonial times. The rights described in the Federal Constitution must be observed by all agents of the federal government.

What Are My Most Important Federal Constitutional Rights, In Criminal Proceedings? (to find out - click on link)

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/criminal/constitution.html#Q3

My comment: If your face happens to be the last face remembered by a witness at the scene of a murder - you will want the best criminal defense attorney you can afford. I'm sure you will want him/her to know the Constitution inside and out so that he/she will afford to you all that this country has to offer. Just think of the trauma an innocent person experiences when sitting on 'death row'. moo mho

What does this have to do with Kaines interview? What about Kyrons constitutional rights? Terri Horman is not more important than this missing child. Drew Peterson has constitutional rights but that didn't stop people from "sleuthing" him out for MONTHS before he was arrested, which will ultimately happen to Terri Horman, and sometimes in life, constitutional rights dont mean anything, this woman has given so much sketchy shady behavior in wake of Kyron going missing, its all Terris faults if people are talking about her, maybe next time she will learn its not cool to send a picture of her masturbating to her husbands friend and all that WEEKS after Kyron went missing, she is like a bull in a china shop.

What does this have to do with Kaines interview? What about Kyrons constitutional rights? Terri Horman is not more important than this missing child. Drew Peterson has constitutional rights but that didn't stop people from "sleuthing" him out for MONTHS before he was arrested, which will ultimately happen to Terri Horman, and sometimes in life, constitutional rights dont mean anything, this woman has given so much sketchy shady behavior in wake of Kyron going missing, its all Terris faults if people are talking about her, maybe next time she will learn its not cool to send a picture of her masturbating to her husbands friend and all that WEEKS after Kyron went missing, she is like a bull in a china shop.

I feel our Constitutional rights are important, they are part of each and every case we follow here on WS. It has nothing to do with sleuthing. Drew Peterson's rights are in question here in Illinois due to making a law after the crime...the hearsay law. Drew is as guilty as an apple is an apple, but he will walk if his rights aren't protected. That would be a terrible thing. moo mho

If Terri is guilty and her Constitutional Rights are not afforded to her, protected, and honored, before and after arrest, and during a trial, a judge will dismiss the case...no doubt about that. She will walk. No justice for our Kyron, Kaine, or anyone if that happens. moo mho

I feel our Constitutional rights are important, they are part of each and every case we follow here on WS. It has nothing to do with sleuthing. Drew Peterson's rights are in question here in Illinois due to making a law after the crime...the hearsay law. Drew is as guilty as an apple is an apple, but he will walk if his rights aren't protected. That would be a terrible thing. moo mho

If Terri is guilty and her Constitutional Rights are not afforded to her, protected, and honored, before and after arrest, and during a trial, a judge will dismiss the case...no doubt about that. She will walk. No justice for our Kyron, Kaine, or anyone if that happens. moo mho

I think we have to have confidence that LE is not stupid, I mean, can you give me an example how Terri's rights have been violated? Maybe that should be a new thread because I would really like to hear anything that indicates this. At this point she should be so lucky she does not live in Florida, land of the sunshine law.

jmo

I think our constitutional rights are extremely important as well. But the idea that a trial has become a way for high priced lawyers to select "perfect" juries for the accused...then "play" the jury by appealing to what they have learned about them in polls, followed by obfuscating the evidence, confusing and confounding the witnesses , and presented PAID dueling experts...seems to be harmful to the rights of a victim and far from what a "justice system" should be about.

Which is justice and truth.

I think our constitutional rights are extremely important as well. But the idea that a trial has become a way for high priced lawyers to select "perfect" juries for the accused...then "play" the jury by appealing to what they have learned about them in polls, followed by obfuscating the evidence, confusing and confounding the witnesses , and presented PAID dueling experts...seems to be harmful to the rights of a victim and far from what a "justice system" should be about.

Which is justice and truth.

ITA, in many cases -- especially high profile capitol cases, it's just a big freakin' game. No concern for justice or the true spirit of the Constitution. Just looking for a way to manipulate the system and all of the *protections* afforded to murderers (you gave some great examples of this), score a win and get progressively bigger and bigger cha-chings at retainer time. As we witnessed in this case. Maybe Houze can land an "expert" gig at CNN and a book deal when he's done with this one. Makes me absolutely sick.

I think we have to have confidence that LE is not stupid, I mean, can you give me an example how Terri's rights have been violated? Maybe that should be a new thread because I would really like to hear anything that indicates this. At this point she should be so lucky she does not live in Florida, land of the sunshine law.

jmo

Terri's rights have not been violated. If they had been, Houze would be on top of it. After all, she's got the best criminal defense attorney someone else's money can buy.

I'm really perplexed at how a thread about Kaine's appearance on GMA has evolved into a thread about Terri's constitutional rights.

jmo

LE are human and mistakes are made not because of stupidity, but because of the 'human' factor. Guess if you sit here in Chicago and see Kevin Fox thrown behind bars for the rape and murder of his 3yo all for the sake of headlines for an upcoming election involving a presecutor, you become a bit leary.

For some reason, I'm very concerned about Constitutional rights being violated in this case - not sure why.

Maybe it's because Houze seems to have a specialty in technicalities.

Maybe it's because of the questionnaire/pictures put out by LE of Terri and her car, sent to peoples' homes and spread all over the internet...and later with pics of her friend Dede.

And for my own reasons - I value our Constitutional rights and feel that without them, we are just any old 3rd world country where any one of us could be thrown in prison out of convenience. I value criminal defense attorneys and their ability to afford Constitutional Rights to the defendant. I also value good prosecutors. I value all those with professional ethics and have disdain for those without.

All just moo

Does anyone think her rights have been violated? Please give examples and reasons if you think her rights have been violated, I think it could be an interesting conversation.

I definitely do not feel that Terri's rights have been violated. It appears to me that she wasn't the least bit concerned about Kyron, Kaine, Desiree, or baby K's rights when she caused Kyron's disappearance. Additionally, as much money as she is paying for her high-priced attorney, I would think he would step up to the plate if he thought her rights were being violated in any way, shape, or form. ~JMO~

Nope, Nada, No Way.

And I don't think that there's any danger of her constitutional rights being violated at any time in the future. It's not like she has a public defender trying his first case. She's got high-dollar "lawyer extodainairre" Steven Houze in her corner.

I can't think of any thing, where her constitutional rights have been violated. Except maybe her attorney's violating her freedom of speech rights,snark.
Nothing I have seen, shows any violating of her rights.

LE are human and mistakes are made not because of stupidity, but because of the 'human' factor. Guess if you sit here in Chicago and see Kevin Fox thrown behind bars for the rape and murder of his 3yo all for the sake of headlines for an upcoming election involving a presecutor, you become a bit leary.

For some reason, I'm very concerned about Constitutional rights being violated in this case - not sure why.

Maybe it's because Houze seems to have a specialty in technicalities.

Maybe it's because of the questionnaire/pictures put out by LE of Terri and her car, sent to peoples' homes and spread all over the internet...and later with pics of her friend Dede.

And for my own reasons - I value our Constitutional rights and feel that without them, we are just any old 3rd world country where any one of us could be thrown in prison out of convenience. I value criminal defense attorneys and their ability to afford Constitutional Rights to the defendant. I also value good prosecutors. I value all those with professional ethics and have disdain for those without.

All just moo

Which constitutional right are you concerned about?

LE has been meticulous in building their case. Additionally, some Deep Pocket has dropped from the sky to provide Terri with two if her state's finest lawyers. How often does THAT happen?

Lucky Terri. She is sexting while this child's parents become a skeleton (Kaine) and the very image of suffering (Desiree).

This woman has no complaint about her "rights." If evidence is piling up, it's coming from her words, actions, and decisions.

Thanks for keeping me in line Jo in California :blowkiss: LOL

I fully support Terri's right to the best defense possible. And it would seem she feels the same way and is taking care of herself, as per our Constitution.

What rights have been violated? Mmmm, can't think of any.

If people on the Internet are talking about her, well, you know, we have Constitutional Rights also.
19.gif

We moved some posts here and started a new Constitutional Thread. Even Gram posted in the wrong thread. :biggrin:

This thread is for discussion about constitutional issues and whether or not there are any in the opinon of the posters.

xoxo

I think that this is an excellent question because it addresses whose rights trump whose, as it were. Does an adult's rights supersede those of a child's or vice-versa, and in what circumstance? Do we give children full power in society to invoke their "adult" rights no matter what the perhaps benign situation or parent(s)?

When a child WILLINGLY AND WITH MALICE doesn't attend school or breaks the law as a minor, most times the parents are held legally and financially responsible, Constitutional "rights" non-withstanding. How can that not apply in reverse?

Yes, there is the option of a GAL, but that takes an adult advocate to act for said child to even initiate the process.

I really don't know the answers, but it is good to discuss these issues as a community and as a country.

My heart just BREAKS for Kyron, Zahra and all of the other helpless children who had no choice and a shushed voice...

I don't think Terri's rights have been violated in any way, nor do I think they should be. I missed the posts that led to this question, so someone fill us in on where they are in jeopardy. The police have gone out of their way not to even call her a person of interest. She has the right not to testify in the criminal trial. She doesn't even have to testify in the civil trial, although there we will see that the right of a child (or anyone) to safety come before a parent's constitutional rights. There will be some consequences if she refuses to testify, but not permanently.

I think that this is an excellent question because it addresses whose rights trump whose, as it were. Does an adult's rights supersede those of a child's or vice-versa, and in what circumstance? Do we give children full power in society to invoke their "adult" rights no matter what the perhaps benign situation or parent(s)?

When a child WILLINGLY AND WITH MALICE doesn't attend school or breaks the law as a minor, most times the parents are held legally and financially responsible, Constitutional "rights" non-withstanding. How can that not apply in reverse?

Yes, there is the option of a GAL, but that takes an adult advocate to act for said child to even initiate the process.

I really don't know the answers, but it is good to discuss these issues as a community and as a country.

My heart just BREAKS for Kyron, Zahra and all of the other helpless children who had no choice and a shushed voice...

I would start with the Declaration of Independence in this regard

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Of course if this were written in this day and age it would probably say men, women and children, but nonetheless that is what it refers to. All of us, have unalienable rights, THANK GOD, because of some documents written some 234 years ago by our founding fathers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back