El Paso named safest US city

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
El Paso named safest US city

Despite being located across the border from one of the deadliest cities in the world, El Paso is the safest large city in the United States, according to rankings released Sunday.

Though the city has been ranked in the top three each year since 1997, this is the first time El Paso has taken the top spot for having the lowest crime rate among cities of more than 500,000 population in the annual rankings by CQ Press, a publishing firm based in Washington, D.C.

Way to go, El Paso! I have to salute the LE there for keeping violence out. :Banane13:

Juarez, Mexico is directly across the border from El Paso, and is expected to have 3000 murders by the end of 2010. El Paso has had just 4. Three of them were domestic incidents.

National media often label the bloodshed in Mexico as "border violence."

Last year, there were more than 2,640 murders in Juárez, compared with 13 homicides in El Paso. This year, there have been more than 2,700 killings in Juárez and four homicides in El Paso.

Thanks for article .. do you happen to have link ? I heard a blurb on the News that St Pete Fl was one of the worse so I was wondering if these were from same article..

Last year in Albuquerque I talked to a businessman who was born and raised in El Paso. He said he simply would not return because he considered the city unsale. What can I say?

I find that hard to believe, but if true there must be some hinky reason like many actually go back and forth and they're one of the 3,000 getting killed in nearby Juarez. Isn't it a huge place? I've never been there even though we live in Texas.

This surprises me. It may be crime-safe, but it's not very safe to fly into! There are enormous updrafts. I flew with a colleague thru there. The turbulence was so bad that I thought we would crash. My colleague was deathly afraid of flying, and she made marks on my arm, that's how hard she was clinging onto me, LOL. And all the while that I was terrified, I was reassuring her "we're fine, don't worry, it's just turbulence, it's normal". I glanced around at other passengers who looked scared, too.

We headed straight to the bar for our layover and then decided to stay over, and rented a car to drive the rest of the way home.

LOL!

I find that hard to believe, but if true there must be some hinky reason like many actually go back and forth and they're one of the 3,000 getting killed in nearby Juarez. Isn't it a huge place? I've never been there even though we live in Texas.

I've never been there either. My brother lived there for about 6 months, and asked to be transfered. He didn't like it at all. He didn't say it wasn't safe, just that he didn't like living there. Said it was too hot also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso,_Texas

El Paso (pronounced /ɛlˈpæsoʊ/) is a city in and the county seat of El Paso County, Texas, United States, and lies in West Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau's 2009 population estimates, the city had a population of 620,447 (July 2009).[4] It is the sixth-largest city in Texas and the 22nd-largest city in the United States.[3] Its metropolitan area covers all of El Paso County. In 2009, the El Paso metropolitan area had a population of 751,296.[7] El Paso's metropolitan population for 2010, is estimated at 763,186 according to the US Census.[8

I've never been there, but I've heard police from El Paso say El Paso and Juarez are basically one city, with the latter being the "bad part of town."

Is it possible that El Paso has less crime simply because Juarez has more?

Just as Beverly Hills and Bel Air are safer in part because most street prostitution, drug trafficking and gang activity take place in South Central and similar areas.

I've never been there, but I've heard police from El Paso say El Paso and Juarez are basically one city, with the latter being the "bad part of town."

Is it possible that El Paso has less crime simply because Juarez has more?

Just as Beverly Hills and Bel Air are safer in part because most street prostitution, drug trafficking and gang activity take place in South Central and similar areas.

You might be right about that. All the major crime happening on the "bad side of town."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back