Ideas for the Hickory Community to Memorialize Zahra

daisy7

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
This thread is to discuss possible ideas for the Hickory community to memorialize Zahra. I have seen posters on other threads suggest a park should be created in memory of Zahra. What are some other suggestions?

There is also a place where those of us who live away from Hickory may discuss ways in which we can memorialize Zahra in concrete ways in our own communities. You can visit that thread by clicking below.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119744"]Personal Memorial for Zahra (Please share your ideas) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I recognize this case is extremely emotional for everyone. However, this thread is NOT to discuss the tree that was cut down or bash their landlord for removing the memorial in any way. Anyone who does so will be given a TO.

Maybe a memorial page. There is also Find a Grave that allows you to do a memorial and list who it was etc.

I think it would be nice if the community did a number of fundraisers and made a new playground for children dedicated to Zahra. Not at the house, but somewhere else.

Great thread topic, Daisy!

My husband and I are looking into sending a donation to Camp Quality in Zahra's memory, in lieu of buying each other Christmas presents this year. We don't have children of our own, and don't really need gifts, so this is the perfect way for us to do something worthwhile in Zahra's honor.

I know that money is tight for many of us right now, especially those who do have kids, so I do also want to mention that money isn't the ONLY way you can reach out to childrens organizations and help. Your time and your energy is valuable. Maybe even far more valuable than money. If you are a member of any house of worship, talk to your fellow members and work as a group, or call any childrens organization directly and ask them how you can help as an individual. If you aren't a member of a house of worship, get together with other members of your community and find ways that you can raise awareness to the problem of child abuse together as a community.

There is so much need, and so much we all can do to help. :)

I think it would be nice if the community did a number of fundraisers and made a new playground for children dedicated to Zahra. Not at the house, but somewhere else.

Sorry to quote myself but wanted to add on. A handicap-accessible playground. They are starting to build those now, so that all children can play, even children in wheelchairs. I think that would be particularly nice in Zahra's memory.

I was thinking since Zahra and her friends were so concerned about the earth, that a free reuse store might be a nice thing in her memory. So people can drop off clothing, toys, bikes etc. that still have use in them and in exchange can get something that they can use in return. It keeps things out of landfills and helps those that otherwise may not be able to afford things.

I agree with you MK, there are many ways local, even those with no money to spare in their budgets can honor Zahra, perhaps by volunteering time, whether at a children's charity or at your nearest elementary school by mentoring or reading to/with the students. By organizing the planting of a community flower garden where children and adults plant and then tend the garden.

By donating one afternoon per month of your time to some cause you feel would honor her, you are doing so much more than simply writing a check (although Bless those that can do that as well).

I have no money nor the good health to volunteer. So, I have been working on a database for 6 months to track child-crime cases and their outcomes. I hope it will eventually be used to make changes in sentencing laws and CPS. When it is large enough, it will be put up on a website that can be accessed by anyone. The one thing I can still do is use my computer skills. There are so many ways to help in this fight against child abuse.

I have no money nor the good health to volunteer. So, I have been working on a database for 6 months to track child-crime cases and their outcomes. I hope it will eventually be used to make changes in sentencing laws and CPS. When it is large enough, it will be put up on a website that can be accessed by anyone. The one thing I can still do is use my computer skills. There are so many ways to help in this fight against child abuse.

That's awesome, Belinda! :)

Does a hospital in the area have a pediatric cancer ward where an atrium or something providing comfort to families or patients can be dedicated to Zahra?

A lovely native NC dogwood tree, planted in a public park or school campus, with a plaque, to show Z that NC considered her one of our own.

(the dogwood is our state flower)

I think someone that would be willing to go to the schools and explain to children that is is OK the tell on your abuser would be a wonderful memorial. Abused kids run to thier abusers not away.I think someone who would volunteer thier time to talk to kids and let them know if they say something the abuser would be taken away would be an amazing tribute!

http://www.adventureamputeecamp.org/
http://www.unlimbitedcamp.org/winter/winterhome/winterhome.htm

If I was personally going to donate it would be to sponsoring a girl Z's age to go to a camp like this, with Z as the namesake of the "scholarship".

It is easily doable.
It can be done each year.
It actually benefits a child instead of going to a lump sum of research money (which is a great cause no doubt) but I like "small" things that you can point to and see the outcome of the funds and effort.

And it embodies her memory. Full of life, not being held back by her limitations, the ones she was given physically or the ones that were thrust upon her by the adults in her life.

I think there should be a Camp Zahra that children (with medical, physical and special needs) can go to like Zahra did at Camp Quality. She loved her time there and she should be remembered as an inspiration to other children that they can love life to the fullest no matter what their challenge!
CampQualityzahra.jpg

I think there should be a street, a bridge, a park, something done in the town of Hickory so that people will continue to speak Zahra's name for many years to come...it's a way to always remember Zahra and keep her in everyone's consciousness (e.g., "How do I get to Walmart? Take Zahra Baker Avenue to ....."

Unveil it next November 16th...Her 12th birthday.

I don't live in North Carolina...I wish I did so I could do something to help this effort. In the spring, I will be planting many many white flowers for her in my garden.

God Bless, Sweet Zahra.

When Megan Kanka was murdered it was in the house across the street from her family home. Megan's case was the impetus for Megan's Law. While this may be cost prohibitive in Hickory, the owner of the house Zahra was in should not take that big a loss on his property, it is possible to do a fountain or statue in an existing park.

Information for anyone considering donating to the Hickory PD "Cops for Tots" program in Zahra's honor..

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/nov/24/tis-season-giving-ar-563175/

Catawba County, N.C. — The death of a Hickory girl may serve to benefit other needy children in Catawba County.

The Hickory Police Department's Cops for Tots has seen an increase in donations – of toys and money – since the tragic story of Zahra Baker's disappearance surfaced, Capt. Gary Lee said.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8685638/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back