Texas Dominates List of the 10 Best Cities for Young Adults

Tuffy

Not really that tough...
Reaction score
Ok, so i live in Texas, and I love it. Just FYI- I moved here as an adult, and have traveled extensively. So, it's not like I have always been here. :D

http://www.brobible.com/story/texas-dominates-list-of-the-10-best-cities-for-young-adults

Apparently, Texas is the place to be after graduation. The Lone Star State landed four spots on Forbes.com's recently released list of the “Best Cities for Young Adults.” They use six different criteria to rank the cities, including coolness, salary, unemployment, median age, cost of living, and nightlife.

10. Minneapolis

Even though Minneapolis is not very cool (ranked 14th) and the nightlife sucks (ranked 38th), the average salary is pretty high when compared to the cost of living. Plus Gordon Bombay and the Ducks call this city home.

9. San Antonio

The first of four Texas cities on the list, San Antonio gets a place on the list mainly for being the 5th youngest city in the country and having a low cost of living.

8. Atlanta

There is not much about Hotlanta that appeals to me, however I've heard some good things. It’s warm, the seventh youngest city, and has a pretty decent night life (16th).

7. Seattle

This is a ranking that I don’t agree with. Supposedly, Seattle is the third coolest city and boasts the third best nightlife. Really? Seattle, the city where the sun doesn’t shine, is the third coolest city in the country? When you factor in its high cost of living (38th), the rain everyday, and all the wannabe hipsters, Seattle is a city not very conducive to the Bro lifestyle in my opinion.

6. Dallas

Dallas ranks #4 in median age and #10 in average salary, which apparently secures its place as the #6 city for young adults.

5. Denver

Denver offers you the big city feel plus the Rockies lifestyle offered by the rest of the state. Hit the mountains in the winter and rapids in the summer, plus you can get your medicinal marijuana card and legally blaze up after a long day at work.

4. Chicago

If your looking for a big city experience but don’t want to have to rock Armani and buy $15 beers every time you go out, the Windy City is the place for you. Lincoln Park is the hotspot all the kids from Big ten and Midwestern schools head to for their post-grad debauchery.

3. New York

The Big Apple comes in at #3 mainly because of its high cost of living but that is offset with the fourth highest average salary. More importantly, New York City ranks #1 in nightlife and coolness, whatever “coolness” means.

2. Houston

Another effing city from Texas. We get it Forbes, Texas is sweet, but there is no way that it offers four of the top 10 cities for post-grads. There is decent nightlife but it's nothing to brag about. Houston is young and has high salaries but a #2 ranking is a bit generous.

1. Austin

I keep hearing about Austin as this incredible city for post-college Bros. Austin is the second youngest city in the country and has the third lowest unemployment rate. However, Austin ranked 15th overall in coolness and nightlife, the two most important factors in my opinion, but that's surprising considering how sick 6th Street is supposed to be: think Bourbon Street except cleaner and nicer.

Obvious Snubs: D.C., San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco, Boston

San Antonio's a great place, without the pretentiousness of Austin, which is as overrated as S.A. is underrated. If you're into nightlife every night, Austin by all means, but good luck with the traffic. Austin has culture, but San Antonio is culture.

Texas is the great state of Shiners. :woohoo:

Hmmm, love that Christmas Cheer, but someone really needs to do something about all this 75 degree weather in December.

Wfgodot, what's wrong with you? smack, smack! LOL. Have you ever sat in San Antonio's traffic? Try this: Anytime after 4:00PM I dare you to go south from I-35 at New Braunfels, get on Loop 410 West, headed south to Hwy 90 West. Now that's you some traffic. It'll make you long for Austin's traffic.

Note: I might be pulling your leg, but only your actual participation in my little test will tell. He, he, he, he, he.

I have been trying to devise a way around San Antonio for 30 years. I've decided, they just need to move the city south, and get it out of the way.

Texas is the great state of Shiners. :woohoo:

Hmmm, love that Christmas Cheer, but someone really needs to do something about all this 75 degree weather in December.

Wfgodot, what's wrong with you? smack, smack! LOL. Have you ever sat in San Antonio's traffic? Try this: Anytime after 4:00PM I dare you to go south from I-35 at New Braunfels, get on Loop 410 West, headed south to Hwy 90 West. Now that's you some traffic. It'll make you long for Austin's traffic.

Note: I might be pulling your leg, but only your actual participation in my little test will tell. He, he, he, he, he.

I have been trying to devise a way around San Antonio for 30 years. I've decided, they just need to move the city south, and get it out of the way.

lol at moving the city south a bit!

I love Texas! I got married in Houston, lived in Dallas, then moved to San Antonio. Each area has it's own charms. I enjoy the quirkiness of Austin, and it is our capitol city, but it's not my favorite. The hill country just seems so peaceful and scenic. The metroplex DFW is pretty cool, and you can find just about anything there. It does have sort of the feel of never ending suburban sprawl though.

Well Mz Tuffy, I got married in Dallas too. Grew up there, in fact, then moved to Houston. Then Houston's size got way out of hand, and I'm glad I don't live in that sprawl anymore. I wouldn't move to San Antonio for the same reason, too big, too much traffic.

Ok, so i live in Texas, and I love it. Just FYI- I moved here as an adult, and have traveled extensively. So, it's not like I have always been here. :D

http://www.brobible.com/story/texas-dominates-list-of-the-10-best-cities-for-young-adults

The Ducks in Minneapolis? The movie, the Mighty Ducks, was made in Minneapolis, but that was years ago (1990's) and was fiction. Their is no team in Minneapolis called the Ducks. The WILD is the Minnesota team, and their home is St. Paul, NOT Minneapolis. (Minneapolis and St. Paul are definitely two different cities.) So, why would a movie be a reason to live in Minneapolis?

Okay, haven't been there for awhile but LOVE TEXAS!!!! Lived in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Bryan. If things were different in my life, I'd head for West Austin - the Hill Country!!!! I'm in Floriduh now, but would love to move back to Texas!!!! Maybe in my next life.

Graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in Dallas.......

Not to keen on some of the aspects of Atlanta, but I agree, the night life rocked and the weather was great when I lived there.

Goz

The Ducks in Minneapolis? The movie, the Mighty Ducks, was made in Minneapolis, but that was years ago (1990's) and was fiction. Their is no team in Minneapolis called the Ducks. The WILD is the Minnesota team, and their home is St. Paul, NOT Minneapolis. (Minneapolis and St. Paul are definitely two different cities.) So, why would a movie be a reason to live in Minneapolis?

lol. I didn't even catch that about the Ducks! and my hubby is from Minneapolis, too! Yeah, their team is the Wild.

The comments under each city are from the author of the blog, I got it from, not from Forbes who compiled the list originally. I don't think the movie was the reason to live in Minneapolis. haha. I've been to Minneapolis, and no offense, but I wouldn't care to live there at all!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back