GUILTY GA - Police Lt. Clifford Rouse, 39, shot to death, Dougherty County, 23 Dec 2010

oceanblueeyes

Reaction score
By Ben Roberts - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – Dougherty County Police Chief Don Cheek confirmed to WALB News 10 shortly after 1:00 a.m. that Lt. Cliff Rouse was killed Thursday night. By 4:15 a.m., officers were on their way to get a judge to sign arrest warrants charging a suspect with the murder.

Lt. Rouse responded to an armed robbery at the Pitt Stop Convenience Store on Sylvester Road near the old Cooper Tire plant at 10:00 Thursday night. He was shot nearby at Nob Hill Mobile Home Estates moments later.

20-year old Dontavius Raynard Thomas is charged with felony murder, armed robbery, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. Chief Cheek says more charges are pending.

During a search involving dozens of law officers, a Dougherty County Sheriff's deputy found Thomas hiding under a mobile home not far from the site where Rouse was gunned down. Chief Cheek says officers found the suspected murder weapon (a 9mm Glock), money stolen from the Pitt Stop, and clothes worn by the robber. The items were hidden in insulation under that mobile home.

Chief Cheek says he's not sure what Rouse saw that led him to the mobile home park. His first radio contact was a call for help. Over his radio, Rouse told a sergeant "Get an ambulance. I've been shot."

Rouse was shot once in the abdomen and once in the left leg. He died after being rushed to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital. Rouse was wearing a protective vest, but the fatal shot apparently hit him just below the bottom of the vest.

The 18-year DCP veteran was 39-years old. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13736649

Please keep the Rouse family in your thoughts and prayers today.

He was married and had two children.

RIP! Lt. Rouse.

Prayers FOREVER for Lt. Rouse and his family. Thank you for your dedication to helping fellow human beings Sir. May you rest in peace.

I have been talking to locals and they say this same suspect robbed this store a few months back.

Why wasn't he in jail is what everyone is wanting to know.

IMO

I have been talking to locals and they say this same suspect robbed this store a few months back.

IMO

:furious: Somehow, we have to separate these thugs from people who live by the rules & keep them away. Everyone responsible for this low-life protoplasm's not having been in jail, awaiting trial for this same crime a few months ago, should have to visit Lt Rouse's widow & children on Christmas morning.

Violent crimes... Stricter laws! No second chances! No early release! No exceptions!

I know Albany & Doughtery County, have friends there. It is a prime example of a high rate of illiteracy, high unemployment, illegal drugs & other crimes. The bad guys are winning. People who live on the affluent side of town are afraid to venture outside their neighborhoods. And sadly, there are people caught in the older intown areas, who have real reason to fear because the criminals rule the streets. The scenerio plays out in towns everywhere, but I have personally seen the demise of Albany.... a beautiful old river town, sprawling 100+ year old live oaks, family farms & pecan orchards, center of commerce for surrounding counties, mid-size industries, military installation... & it has simply rotted. Anytown USA degrades into Not-At-All Pleasantville..... Oh Lordy, who am I & how did I get up on this soapbox? .... I am heartsick over this story... my prayers for the officer's family, friends & brothers in uniform.

Rest in Peace, Lt. Rouse :rose:

My deepest sympathy and prayers for his friends and family during this Holiday season. What a senseless, tragic loss at what should be a joyful time of the year. :cry:

IMO

Hopefully he'll be apprehended soon, before he has a chance to take another innocent life. MOO

Hopefully he'll be apprehended soon, before he has a chance to take another innocent life. MOO

Thank God he is off the streets Panthera.

They found him by 4 am this morning hiding under a mobile home. The pathetic coward.:furious:

He tried to stuff the robbery money, the gloch 9 and his hoodie in the insulation under the mobile home but police found it when they found him hiding.

IMO

More details on murder suspect Dontavius Thomas
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 6:42 PM EST
Updated: Dec 24, 2010 6:42 PM EST

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – Dontavius Thomas had other run-ins with the law. He previously broke into the same store police say he robbed last night.

Thomas broke into the Pitt Stop in June of last year and stole more than 15-cartons of cigarettes.

He pleaded guilty as a first offender and was placed on felony probation.

Dougherty District Attorney Greg Edwards isn't sure yet whether he'll seek the death penalty, put he says all the requirements are there to make this a capital case.

"We're at the tip of this investigation but at present the statutory circumstances are there are aggravating circumstances could be the basis for a death penalty prosecution," Greg Edwards, Dougherty Co. District Attorney.

http://www.walb.com/global/story.asp?s=13739040

More details on murder suspect Dontavius Thomas
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 6:42 PM EST
Updated: Dec 24, 2010 6:42 PM EST

ALBANY, GA (WALB) – Dontavius Thomas had other run-ins with the law. He previously broke into the same store police say he robbed last night.

Thomas broke into the Pitt Stop in June of last year and stole more than 15-cartons of cigarettes.

He pleaded guilty as a first offender and was placed on felony probation.

Dougherty District Attorney Greg Edwards isn't sure yet whether he'll seek the death penalty, put he says all the requirements are there to make this a capital case.

"We're at the tip of this investigation but at present the statutory circumstances are there are aggravating circumstances could be the basis for a death penalty prosecution," Greg Edwards, Dougherty Co. District Attorney.

http://www.walb.com/global/story.asp?s=13739040
At least that explains why he wasn't in jail but hopefully he will never be on the streets to commit another crime ever again. I personally believe this should be a capital case. MOO

At least that explains why he wasn't in jail but hopefully he will never be on the streets to commit another crime ever again. I personally believe this should be a capital case. MOO

I imagine the citizens of Albany will demand it.

Lt. Rouse was highly respected and loved by many.

Such a senseless tragedy.

imo

I imagine the citizens of Albany will demand it.

Lt. Rouse was highly respected and loved by many.

Such a senseless tragedy.

imo
It truly is a senseless tragedy and I can't begin to imagine how Lt. Rouse's family must feel tonight. :cry: Thank you again for the updates.

Posted: Dec 24, 2010 6:38 PM EST
Updated: Dec 24, 2010 6:38 PM EST

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Dougherty County Police Chief Don Cheek couldn't say enough good things about the help he got from other law enforcement agencies last night.

That immediate and overwhelming response helped catch the suspect quickly.

WALB talked with the deputy who actually found the accused gunman and with neighbors who were caught in the crossfire.

Some may call Cpl. Tommy Bruce a hero for catching the man suspected of killing a police officer. He says it's his job.

"When you sign up you know the risks and you constantly have to be thinking," said Cpl. Bruce.

He rushed to Nob Hill Mobile Home Estates after Lt. Cliff Rouse was shot. Some neighbors say the shootout left bullet holes in their homes.

Soon after Lt. Rouse had been shot, Cpl. Bruce rushed over to B and S trailer park next door searching for the gunman.

Neighbors say he knocked on the door asking for a ride. They shut the door and later saw him walking near the mobile home.

Dozens of officers put their lives in danger searching for Thomas in the pitch black. Cpl. Bruce spotted him under the trailer on lot 28 along with evidence from the robbery.

"I used the spotlight from my flashlight which was a big help and he was blinded by the light so if he tried to shoot at least he would have less of a chance of hitting me," said Bruce.

Dougherty County sheriff Kevin Sproul praises Bruce's bravery and remembers the fallen lieutenant who was like a brother on the force.

"We all will miss him," said Sproul. "Lt. Rouse was a wonderful person and it will be very difficult to replace someone like him."

It will be hard to replace a hero killed while protecting the community he serves.

Sheriff Sproul says the last death in the Sheriff's office was November 1988 when two deputies died in a car crash.

http://www.walb.com/global/story.asp?s=13739030

Slain officer a ‘fine man’
“He was truly an exemplary officer,” Cheek said. “He was an 18-year veteran of the department, a shift commander and an officer that was a fine man to work with.”
A veteran of the U.S. Army, Rouse joined the Dougherty County Police Department in 1992 as a patrol officer and distinguished himself quickly among his peers. In 1997, Rouse was tapped as the DCP’s honoree as Exchange Club of Albany’s “Officer of the Year” ~~~snipped~~

"A family man, Rouse and his wife were the parents of two children, one 13-year-old and one 6-year-old.
"Cheek said during a news conference Friday morning that Rouse’s contemporaries at the department were grieving http://www.albanyherald.com/home/headlines/112437579.html

on the other hand:
A look at accused killer's criminal past
Dontravius Thomas was on felony probation when police say he shot and killed Lt. Cliff Rouse. Court records show that Thomas had twice violated terms of his probation and had twice been released without being sent to prison
I am too angry to post details, this (something added to my vocabulary soon after joining WS) doesn't deserve my time or ink. http://www.albanyherald.com/home/he..._accused_killers_criminal_past_112456644.html

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13745544

Fallen officer will be saluted

"It's been a tough last few days for all of us; some of which really helping us get through this... as we have just had a tremendous outpouring of support from the community and from law enforcement, not only local law enforcement. I have literally had emails and calls from as far away as the west coast. We know we've got officers coming in from as far away as Maryland. It's just amazing how this profession comes together as a time like this," the chief said.

The funeral will include full law enforcement honors including the "riderless Horse." The police honor guard will perform the flag folding ceremony.

Chief Cheek says a Medal of Valor Commendation is being awarded Posthumously. His badge, number 27, will be permanently retired in his honor.

From February 2015:

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2015/feb/25/dougherty-county-police-officer-killer-gets-life/

Dontravious R. Thomas, who had faced the death penalty for the December 2010 shooting death of Dougherty County Police Lt. Clifford “Cliff” Rouse, pleaded guilty Wednesday to malice murder and felony murder in return for a sentence of life in prison without chance of parole...

Thomas also was sentenced to an additional 65 years in prison on charges of aggravated assault, armed robbery, theft by receiving stolen property, possession of a fire arm during the commission of a felony and possession of a fire arm by a convicted felon, all to be served consecutively to the life sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back