GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
kemo, have you borne in mind that the boyfriend also hadn't heard from Jo since the Friday night? I totally know what you're saying, but I just want to add that. This thing with the landlord - he played it down majorly, which makes me wonder if he saw anything significant at all.

It's telling that LE has refused to say whether Jo was wearing a coat when she was found. Or what she was wearing at all.They have said only that she was "fully clothed ". If she had been abducted at knifepoint,under duress from the flat, one would not expect her to be wearing a coat. The fact that LE is refusing to say whether she had a coat on when she was found makes me think she might indeed have had a coat on... Otherwise,why would it come up at all ? She might have changed clothes at the flat if she was planning on going out later ? It doesn't explain at all why she left her phone and keys at the house though.It's just another puzzle piece. I believe that LE knows much.much more than they are letting on,even to the family and BF....

Seems odd to me that the landlord appears on tv in much the same way as Ian Huntley did offering info...

Jo would ahve known and trusted her landlord...

Seems odd to me that the landlord appears on tv in much the same way as Ian Huntley did offering info...

Jo would ahve known and trusted her landlord...

Interesting idea, though Huntley was 28 when he killed Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, and Mr Jefferies is a not-so-spry 65. Could be though.

Welcome to WS, by the way!

Interesting idea, though Huntley was 28 when he killed Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, and Mr Jefferies is a not-so-spry 65. Could be though.

Welcome to WS, by the way!

Hi

ty!

I was watching a crime doc once and they reckon killers like to appear to be "helping" the police - it's like some sort of narcisstic personality disorder though I'm not sure if that was the exact term they use.

As for the landlord, no one knows his past...

But this was definately committed by someone Jo knew and trusted.

Very sad.

Hi

ty!

I was watching a crime doc once and they reckon killers like to appear to be "helping" the police - it's like some sort of narcisstic personality disorder though I'm not sure if that was the exact term they use.

As for the landlord, no one knows his past...

But this was definately committed by someone Jo knew and trusted.

Very sad.

I think so too on the "knew and trusted."

If anything, the landlord struck me as an oldster who wanted to get his two cents in, then decided that involving himself had not been the best of ideas.

However, it also could be read as someone who does know something and gave incorrect information to confuse the issue, perhaps through fear of someone or something he did see at the relevant time.

IIRC, Jo went to a store called Waitrose ( sp ? ), then to the Tesco store where she bought the pizza. In the Tesco store footage, she looks to have a backpack. The straps look like a backpack type of fabric. In the Bargain Booze footage,though, she has a hobo/shoulder bag, doesn't look like it's made of fabric ? Strange, but maybe unimportant in the scheme of things.

All JMO

that black carrier bag looks like one from an offie's (like the bargain booze place is). it's not a waitrose bag, those are green and white. and they charge you for 'em, so whatever she got there if anything was most likely in her backpack (rucksack). it's not unusual here for people to not get a bag at all and put their shopping in their backpack.

Apparently the landlord saw a "threesome" leave the building around 9:00 PM the night of Dec 17th. I would assume everyone who lives in the building has been questioned and nobody else reported a threesome leaving that would have been unrelated to Jo Yeats.

I have seen it reported in the news that police believe Jo made it home but I have not seen any evidence presented that proves that. We know her belongings are inside the apartment along with the cider but the last place she was actually seen, as far as I have read, was at Bargain Booze. Then a 5 minute walk home.

It is possible she was abducted/attacked prior to entering her apartment and then later her abductors could have let themselves in and placed her belongings in the apartment.

Not sure how likely a scenario that is but I have not seen anything presented that would dispel that theory otherwise.

I really don't suspect the landlord at all. Sky News accosted him and asked him about the evidence he'd given. He then said it'd been exaggerated by the news, and that he didn't even report that he'd seen Jo. He didn't seem at all comfortable with being interviewed and having a camera in his face. Therefore, I don't think he's trying to be a part of the case. Also, I haven't checked this, but posters on Digital Spy have commented that Jo and Greg had only very recently moved into their flat.

A wee bit about the landlord:

Joanna Yeates was with two people, her landlord tells police

Christopher Jefferies, a former English teacher, said he believed he had seen the 25 year-old walk out of her ground-floor flat in Bristol at about 9pm on Dec 17.
---
The 65-year-old bachelor, a former chairman of The Prayer Book Society, who was described by one neighbour as "a little bit eccentric", claimed what he had told police had been "distorted", but refused to elaborate.

It is understood he did inform police of the sighting. A police source said: "He has provided us with a little bit of information along the lines that has been reported and we are looking into it."
---
Liz Lowman, who lives on the opposite side of the road, said Mr Jefferies told her the three people were coming out of a shared entrance to the house.

“These people were leaving through the communal entrance,” she said. “Unfortunately, we didn’t hear or see anything.

“I don’t think there was a party that night as I would have heard the music and we heard nothing and we were in all evening.”

more at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ith-two-people-her-landlord-tells-police.html

Yeah - it went from being a sighting of Jo to three people walking out of a communal entrance. I think it was Sky News doing its thang.

I think that I see a white plastic carrier bag with a bottle in it in the Tesco CCTV footage here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...nna-Yeates-on-the-night-she-went-missing.html

To me it looks like she already had a bottle of something in a white plastic bag prior to Tesco and the liquor store - maybe a Xmas gift bottle of wine from a colleague?

The small black bag is, imo, the drawstring type that's worn in the way a rucksack is - over both shoulders - with strings instead of straps - very portable and convenient. My kids use these to carry gym shoes in. I think she probably had her nicer shoes in it and had changed to flats for the walk home.

The new CCTV footage shows that she has adjusted her big rucksack before going into the liquor store - now over her left shoulder only (she's clearly a left handed person judging by both videos). I think the rucksack looks heavier and the pizza shape is apparent in the parts of the video where her back is to the camera. Maybe the white pastic bag is in there too?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ase-CCTV-of-Joanna-Yeates-in-off-licence.html

jmo

I was just reading one of the newspaper articles. It seems that a neighbor of Jo's who lives in the building opposite had a party that night. Nothing rowdy, it was described as mostly young professional types. But around 9 00 pm, a woman at that party stepped outside to smoke a cigarette. She stated that she heard two screams coming from the direction of Jo's flat. She thought nothing of it at the time,but realized a few days later that the screams would have occured shortly after Jo got home.She couldn't see Jo's flat because some trees obscured her view.

Also, LE has not only taken the front door from the flat, they have also removed some floor boards. They do seem convinced that a violent confrontation took place in the flat.

And the landlord said the three people he saw leaving the communal entrance to the flat were speaking " in hushed tones ".

Maybe the two people were waiting in the flat when she got home ? Did they take her out of the flat at knifepoint ? Scary scenarios...

All JMO

I've woken up to the news that it was the landlord. Bizarre. Makes sense though - he had a key.

I dont know what to think of this ... I understand why LE doesnt tell us all they know but sometimes I wish they did.

Wow wow wow. Didn't see that coming either, by a long shot. As I'm an English teacher I was perhaps hoping especially it wouldn't be him. Here are three other takes on the story, from the Guardian, Independent, and Daily Mail:

Police question Joanna Yeates landlord

Detectives are questioning the landlord of the landscape architect Joanna Yeates after arresting him on suspicion of her murder.

Police arrested Chris Jefferies, 65, just after 7am at his flat, which is above Yeates's ground-floor home in Clifton, Bristol.

Two cars were later removed from outside the building. One is believed to have belonged to Jefferies, a former English teacher at nearby Clifton College. Forensic examination of the building where they both lived was stepped up.

Joanna Yeates' parents 'pleased' as landlord is quizzed

David Yeates, speaking from the family home in Ampfield, Hampshire, told the Southern Daily Echo: "At the end of the day, obviously I'm not happy because my daughter is still dead.

"But we are pleased the police have made an arrest as they have been working very hard to make progress in this case.

"During the investigation, police have not told us everything they have discovered but we understand there are certain things they cannot reveal."

Police forensic team tows away landlord's car as 65-year-old is arrested over Joanna Yeates's murder

Mr Jefferies, a former teacher at the nearby public school Clifton College, lives directly above the basement flat he rented to Miss Yeates.

Mr Jefferies taught at Clifton College from the early 1970s and rose to become head of England [sic] before taking early retirement.

Current head Mark Moore said today: 'I can confirm that Mr Jefferies taught English at Clifton College for a number of years.

'He retired in 2001 which is nearly 10 years ago now and I have been headmaster here for six years and I certainly never met Mr Jefferies.

'There will be very few people on the teaching staff and pupils who would have ever met Mr Jefferies.

It is a number of years ago and although he lived locally he'd had no formal contact with the college since he retired.'
---
Mr Jefferies was four years ago appointed the chairman of the Bath and Avon Prayer Book Society, which promotes the continued use of the 1662 Book of Common Prayer. He resigned four months later.

A year earlier, he set up a campaign group to fight plans to replace a rifle range and squash courts belonging to his former college with two semi-detached houses.

Ray Lowman, who lives in a flat opposite the mansion, knew Mr Jefferies through the Neighbourhood Watch and said he was 'amazed'.

'He is basically a pillar of society. One of the well-known familiar locals,' he said.

He acknowledged the former teacher's appearance was odd but added: 'I wouldn't say he was weird but unusual and the hair is affectation. A very intelligent man, very sharp.'

Wow! That's a shocker. Very curious as to his motive...

RIP Jo, and my heart goes out to everyone who loved her...

Another alleged tidbit, from Daily Mail:

Girl at neighbours’ party says she heard screams that night

Screams were heard on the night Joanna Yeates vanished at around the same time she was apparently spotted by her landlord, police have been told.

A festive gathering at the start of the last weekend before Christmas was attended by around 20 young professionals.

The party was held in a two-bedroom flat worth £300,000 in one of the Victorian houses opposite the home of Miss Yeates.

Among the guests was a woman, who has not been named, who stepped outside the house for a cigarette. She is understood to have heard two screams just after 9pm, not long after police believe Miss Yeates returned to her flat.

Putting the cries down to high jinks during the run-up to Christmas, she ignored the noise and returned inside.

She has since reported what she heard to police after realising it was the same night Miss Yeates went missing.

A friend who attended the party told the Daily Mail: ‘She heard the loud screams, but thought nothing of it as it was the Christmas party season.

‘They were very short, high-pitched noises and when she didn’t see anything she just dismissed it and went back into the party. It wasn’t until Tuesday when she read the paper that she saw it might be connected and called the police.’

The friend continued: ‘She feels really guilty now even though it could have happened to anyone. The police have interviewed everyone over the phone and are trying to get DNA samples from all the men present.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-arrest-suspicion-murder.html#ixzz19bdw8jGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member