GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we can accuse the landlord of the way he looks, or because he snoops around, he may be checking people are taking care of his property, if it is kept in a mess, it could cost him a lot of money when they move out..

Agree to some extent esp about his looks but not his actions. He should not just let himself into a property when he feels like it unless it's an emergency - he must give @ least 24 hours notice so that behaviour is just plain wrong and in breach of his agreement with his tenant's and a blatant intrusion of their rights and privacy. Makes me think he has an arrogance about him where he thinks he can do as he pleases.

The only evidence we have is the three people he saw leaving the flat, and why he was slow to inform the police, but the police do seem to be removing a lot of stuff from his place, so they must have a reason.

TBH, I don't think he saw anyone leaving the flat with Jo - if he truely did he would have said so on the Sunday when she was reported missing - after all, if it was true he would have nothing to hide would he? Even if he was one of the last ppl to see her alive he would not have a guilty conscience so would not think twice about reporting it.

As I said in an earlier post, he was active in Neighbourhood Watch so if his sighting of Jo was genuine why delay reporting it? A "pillar of the community" as Mr J has been described would not behave thus.

I honestly think he said it after, and to a neighbour as a "red herring" - he couldn't plant the "red herring" on the Sunday when Jo was reported missing as that would cause the police to pay closer attention to him when he might have still had her body in storage in his flat or car.

It;s unusal for the police to get two extensions to question a suspect unless they have very good reasons to keep them detained.

I'm interested in the interest in this neighbor fellow Peter Stanley and his vehicle - I wonder if that signals they've not been able to place Jo's body in Jefferies's car, and/or have no cctv record of Jefferies crossing the bridge during the relevant time (though I know there must be other ways from the flats to the golf course than that one).

I still wonder if J/Y did arrive home, the landlord might have been waiting in the street and asked her if she would like a lift home, then took her elsewhere, her boyfriend said her keys were in her bag, how many people open their door and put the keys back in their bag, most people will just drop them on the table, if she was faced with the landlord coming towards her in her flat, I don't think she would put them back in her bag.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rchitect-Jo-Yeates-sobs-I-want-Christmas.html

Also in the news, Police have been given more time to quiz the landlord on suspicion of her murder, so maybe they don't have that much evidence, but I can't see them arresting a man without some serious evidence.

I always put my keys back in my bag after I use them along with my travelcard and security pass - it's a habit I developed after never rembering where I put them and always being in a hurry in the morning.

Agree about the extension though.

I'm interested in the interest in this neighbor fellow Peter Stanley and his vehicle - I wonder if that signals they've not been able to place Jo's body in Jefferies's car, and/or have no cctv record of Jefferies crossing the bridge during the relevant time (though I know there must be other ways from the flats to the golf course than that one).

Agreed.

so from the picture here, it looks to me like there`s blinds or window coverings on those windows now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...quizzed-police-12-hour-extension-granted.html

when did that other couple live there - it seems strange to me that a landlord who was so insistent on that couple not having curtains or blinds would now agree to allow it

I am normally a huge LE supporter - this is the very first case I`ve followed on WS where I have serious doubts that they have the right guy.

Here's link to a Google Maps Street View of the building:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...=O-jN5NBcq9p0qBKEYWMY-w&cbp=12,49.59,,1,-6.25

I don't know when the images were taken but the windows look like they had no curtains or blinds on them then.
I don't think I'd like that. It would feel like living in a fishbowl.

I wonder if Jo was able to fight off her killer at all? If there is anything of forensic value under her fingernails? If any suspect(s) are showing, or hiding, signs of a fight?

ITA. I do not think LE found any evidence of Jo being in the LL's vehicle(s). Curious to know if they think the neighbor acted alone, if he did it. How would he have gained entrance to the flat ? One thing, he looks way bigger and more powerfully built than the LL.

Question I have : why did LE refuse to disclose ( and still hasn't said ) if Jo was wearing a coat when she was found ? And why has LE refused to discuss the cctv footage from the pub that night ?
Maybe just loose ends.But still....

All jmo

I am normally a huge LE supporter - this is the very first case I`ve followed on WS where I have serious doubts that they have the right guy.

sbm

you and me both. they are slaughtering this guy in the press. for his sake I hope he did it but I have very serious doubts.

this applying for an extension to keep him junk, I've never heard of that and now they've taken another neighbor's car, if they're barking up the wrong tree this could keep them from ever finding the real killer :(

eta: net curtains are not trashy! or else almost every house I've been in is trashy and I had no idea :biglaugh:

I wonder if Jo was able to fight off her killer at all? If there is anything of forensic value under her fingernails? If any suspect(s) are showing, or hiding, signs of a fight?

Again, pointing to a post of mine one page back noting that CJ weighed 11 stone which I think is 154 pounds.

However, one account said there was evidence that the killer tried to lift her body over the verge but could not do it.

I found an article saying that no one saw him around the holidays ... that he may have been in France at his properties there:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ce-over-boyfriends-flat-battery-incident.html

Neighbours said yesterday that Mr Jefferies may have spent Christmas away from Bristol, possibly in one of the properties he owned in southern France.

They said they had not seen him at all over the Christmas period and believed he may have been abroad.

Mr Jefferies owned two flats in Nice, in the south of France, which he let out to holidaymakers and friends.

A close friend, who asked not to be named, said he visited the properties once a year to carry out routine maintenance.

The friend said Mr Jefferies was an admirer of French culture and bought a house in the Dordogne in 1995.

“He used to spend three weeks a year there and spent a great deal of time doing the property up. He was always interested in French culture,” he said.
He sold the house five years ago and invested the proceeds in the two flats in Nice.

Again, pointing to a post of mine one page back noting that CJ weighed 11 stone which I think is 154 pounds.

However, one account said there was evidence that the killer tried to lift her body over the verge but could not do it.

What does that mean "lift her body over the verge?"

Her coat was found in the flat. She couldn't have survived long without it.

I'm a woman and I could have figured out a way to get her body out of the flat and into a car.

I just wanted to say, that many respectable & exemplary individuals have murdered.

And a little more on the cold case thats being looked at again. Hope this hasnt been posted already :)

Glenis Carruthers, 20, was found strangled outside Bristol Zoo on Jan 19 1974 after being seen with a young man. She was in the city to attend a party just half a mile from Miss Yeates’s flat.

Miss Carruthers’s killer has never been found despite a cold case review this year, involving the latest DNA techniques. Avon and Somerset Police said yesterday they had no comment to make about possible links between the two killings. But police involved in the cold case are believed to be working with officers investigating the murder of Miss Yeates. A string of beads Miss Carruthers was wearing at the time of her murder is to be sent for testing.

Miss Carruthers was in Bristol to attend a friend’s 21st birthday party in Clifton. She was never seen leaving the house in The Avenue, near the flat where Miss Yeates went missing on Dec 17. It is thought she decided to walk to a phone box near Clifton Downs, where she was spotted with a man in his twenties. Her body was later found on a grass verge.

Speaking a few months ago, her brother, Gordon, said: “Although time has elapsed the memories have never faded. We want justice for Glenis and then we can let her memory rest in peace.”

Det Chief Insp Mike Carter, the review leader, said: “The person who murdered Glenis Carruthers may have thought he had got away with this after all these years but we are determined to try to track him down. No one ever saw her leave the party. That’s one of the reasons why it’s always been a mystery.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ce-over-boyfriends-flat-battery-incident.html

I was just about to post the Telegraph article on the unsolved Carruthers murder above!

The Telegraph also has two other new articles:

Joanna Yeates murder: Christopher Jefferies was 'meddler'
Two former tenants of Christopher Jefferies described the landlord as an eccentric "meddler" who frequently came round to do odd jobs in their flat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...murder-Christopher-Jefferies-was-meddler.html

and

Joanna Yeates murder: police switch attention to second house
Detectives investigating the murder of Joanna Yeates have switched the focus of their investigation to a second property.

What does that mean "lift her body over the verge?"

Her coat was found in the flat. She couldn't have survived long without it.

I'm a woman and I could have figured out a way to get her body out of the flat and into a car.

I just wanted to say, that many respectable & exemplary individuals have murdered.

My terminology is probably seriously lacking as I don't think verge is used much in the USA.

News stories have reported that her body was found on a roadside "verge". Apparently there was a short wall along side which the murderer attempted to lift the body up and over. I'm assuming it would have been less visible had he or she been able to get the body over it.

CJ has been reported as weighing 11 stone. It might be difficult for someone of his build to pick up her dead body to thrust it over.

BTW, I'll try to find the news story of the "evidence" of an attempt to lift the body.

My terminology is probably seriously lacking as I don't think verge is used much in the USA.

News stories have reported that her body was found on a roadside "verge". Apparently there was a short wall along side which the murderer attempted to lift the body up and over. I'm assuming it would have been less visible had he or she been able to get the body over it.

CJ has been reported as weighing 11 stone. It might be difficult for someone of his build to pick up her dead body to thrust it over.

BTW, I'll try to find the news story of the "evidence" of an attempt to lift the body.

Wow, I can't believe I found it so soon!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/169732/Jo-Yeates-Police-quiz-landlord/

The source added: “It’s as though the murderer had been trying to dump her into the grounds of the quarry but was not strong enough to get her over the wall.

“Evidence, possibly blood, was found on a stone wall where the killer had tried to lift her over.”

Hi

I'm new - wrote a post a few hours ago which hasn't posted for some reason.

Anyway, the plot thickens: the neighbour who has handed his car to the police also has a 41 yr old male tenant who was around when Joanna went missing. Throws up the question of whether the LL was telling the truth when he said he saw 3 people leaving the flat on the night of her disappearance http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ce-over-boyfriends-flat-battery-incident.html

The LE don't seem to have a solid case methinks, and the media's frenzied reporting of Chris Jefferies reminds me very much of that of Robert Murat - complete and utter character assassination before the facts.

As for what Chris Jefferies did or did not say to the LE about what he saw that evening - surely we don't know that yet! Sky News' 'interview' with him proved nothing other than CJ was not willing to comment further on what he had said the the LE.

If CJ is innocent it may well turn out that he saw some people near the communal entrance - unusual, I think not given that it was Friday night - for most people the last 'partying' Friday before Christmas, and there was a party across the road so people would have been milling around possibly finding the address.

If he's guilty then the LE are taking their time - no confessions or concrete evidence so far? Makes me wonder why they took him in under 'suspicion of murder' when they did. Pressure in the spotlight of the media to make arrests, and the local oddball acted strangely in front of Sky News reporters? I guess there must be some facts behind the arrest - but what are they?

Is it true that the LE failed to examine the garbage before it was collected? The focus on the pizza wrapping certainly seems to have dwindled.

jmo

I found an interesting article by a "former Detective Inspector General" as to the choice of a deposition spot suggesting the murder was unplanned and the killer panicked:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...icked-after-unplanned-murder-115875-22818569/

THE country lane where Jo Yeates was found is without doubt one of the most unusual body deposition sites I’ve ever visited. It will have given police several clues about the circumstances of her death.

It strongly suggests her murder was not planned and the killer panicked afterwards because virtually no thought has gone into concealing the body.

Jo was left on the verge of Longwood Lane – one of the first roads without houses a driver leaving Bristol in this direction will reach. It is 50 yards south of an entrance to a quarry, which would have been a more sensible and less noticeable place to pull over.

This suggests Jo was dumped in the middle of the night when the road was deserted, but the darkness meant the killer missed several better spots nearby to conceal her body properly.
Barely 50 yards from where dog walkers found her there is a gap in the wall leading into woods.

Opposite the floral tributes there is a gap between a wall and a fence at the quarry face. If you are strong enough to get a body into a car it will not take much more effort to get it in the gap. If Jo had been left there it is quite possible she would not have been found for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member