2011.01.09 Front page Orlando Sentinel: Is Baez in over his head? *UNDER REVIEW*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Orlando

Verified Aquaculturalist
Reaction score
Wow, I think things are unraveling quickly for the defense:

"Can José Baez rise to the challenge of Casey Anthony case?

William Sheaffer, a criminal-defense attorney and media analyst well-versed in the Casey Anthony case, said the judge's punishment last week "doesn't speak well of Baez on a professional level."

"There is a valid criticism — and it was certainly reflected by the court's ruling — by attorneys, the judges, law professors …," Sheaffer said, that Baez "is inexperienced, perhaps has some hubris that's not warranted and that, more importantly, he has failed to rise to the challenge of representation of this client and the most serious charge one could face."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/os-jose-baez-outside-depth-20110107,0,7100865.story

...and the answer to that question is a resounding Yes!

Loved this part...
Jarvis, the Nova professor, has followed the drama revolving around Baez and asked why a judge hasn't removed him from the case through one of several avenues, including The Florida Bar inquiry sought by Strickland. Beyond that, he asked why Casey Anthony hasn't moved on to another lead attorney.

"It would be fascinating to know, 'Why are you sticking with this guy?' " Jarvis said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...outside-depth-20110107,0,7100865.story?page=2

Yes indeed Casey..."Why are you sticking with this guy?" Although I must admit, I don't think her case would be nearly as entertaining if not for Jose...and his antics.

That article and comments are interesting to read.
One comment sounds like CA (no evidence) and one like JB (defense not being treated fairly).
One part of the article that stands out -

When reached last week to respond to the criticism and the management of the case in light of Perry's sanction, Baez said, "I don't have to answer any questions. Who are you?"

He added, "Do you have something to offer my client? It's a two-way street. … The door is open if you can assist me or my client." He hung up the phone, called back minutes later and said that conversation was off the record. Told that the conversation was not, Baez responded by saying, "You're lying and being unethical."

He threatened to stop discussing the case altogether, an approach he has at various times taken with other Central Florida reporters.

Having watched trials on and off since OJ, I'm trying to think of another case where the defense attorney has had such bad press.

Closest I can come is Mark Geragos of Scott Peterson infamy. He pulled the "stupid boat trick" which backfired when Laci Peterson supporters turned in into a flower-filled shrine. He wasn't there when the jury came in with the verdict. He admitted that he was so sure he would win, he hadn't prepared for the penalty phase.

At least the defense is preparing for the penalty phase.

Experts mystified

With Perry's recent sanction against Baez, NeJame said, "The judge is simply saying, 'Enough and no way, José.' Ignoring a judge is not an option. Especially ignoring this particular judge is not an option."

That is not to say the defense has sat idle for the past two-plus years. Dozens of defense motions, many attacking media coverage and pre-trial publicity and picking at details that appear to have little impact on the client's defense, now fill a clerk's court file comprised of 16 folders.

The defense is that pot calling the kettle black. Baez runs to the media then wants to stifle them...hypocrit and he's done much damage by not staying silent. I believe Baez brought this on all by himself trying to use this trial (and ICA) as a stepping stone to infamy...it has and will continue to backfire on him, JMHO

Justice for Caylee

This is one news article that I hope Casey gets to read. Does anyone know if she has access to newpapers in the jail? I sort of gathered from the inmate MD and also from Casey's written jail letters, that maybe jail staff attempt to limit all new of her case in that dorm (but these two could easily be lying). I do know that Casey has a radio, so maybe she still can find out the news from that though. I'm just curious to know if this is an article that she might see.

We have been discussing JB's ineptitude since day 1 (day 31). Not sure this is really "news" to anyone. KC has been enamored of JB and JB of her and they will not "leave" each other. The relationship has all of the signs of codependency and even if it destroys both of them they will not let it go. KC has thoughts of walking out arm in arm with JB a free woman...they are both delusional and that will be the end of both of them. The "chemistry" between them is obvious each time they walk in to court. It will not be missed by the jury either. This has been my assessment of those two since the early days and it continues to be reinforced each time I see them together. In the end, justice for Caylee will be achieved! IMO :)

Ummm....We here at WS figured out he was in over his head, 2 1/2 years ago.

I haven't read the article yet but I think often of the video(s) of GA trying to get CA to see that JB is not qualified. That's where his "head of the corporation" came in. And he told the FBI or LE that he didn't like "the guy". I wonder what he thinks of all of this. Wherever he is.

This is one news article that I hope Casey gets to read. Does anyone know if she has access to newpapers in the jail? I sort of gathered from the inmate MD and also from Casey's written jail letters, that maybe jail staff attempt to limit all new of her case in that dorm (but these two could easily be lying). I do know that Casey has a radio, so maybe she still can find out the news from that though. I'm just curious to know if this is an article that she might see.

I'll bet that several of her pen pals - and possibly a few dozen *new* pen pals - forward this on to her. :D

This well written article is also, IMO a clear invite back for the Florida Bar to revisit all there is to know about JB. I wonder how his (JB) tummy's been feeling lately?

Cudos to Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel! :tyou: for putting in ink (locals, was it really on the front page?) what many have been posting and thinking for years.

Could the fact that this exposé (of sorts) is finally in a respected newspaper have any significant positive or negative effects on any legal issues in the case?

This well written article is also, IMO a clear invite back for the Florida Bar to revisit all there is to know about JB. I wonder how his (JB) tummy's been feeling lately?

We should all pitch in on a case of Pepcid :)

I like the part about praises for Amy H's atty Kirk Kirkconnell !!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...e-baez-outside-depth-20110107,0,7100865.story

excerpt:
"Sheaffer said comparing the Casey Anthony defense to the handling of the James Robert Ward murder case reveals Baez's lack of difficult criminal-defense work and the considerable skills of another veteran attorney with many years of experience, Kirk Kirkconnell".

"Ward's case — the shooting death of his wife inside their Isleworth mansion — had all the elements of a media circus, Sheaffer said, but Kirkconnell has managed to keep the case, well, managed."

""Kirkconnell does everything that he should do, and he does it right," said Sheaffer. "Mr. Baez has stepped on land mine after land mine and continues to so do."
In particular, Sheaffer said, Baez appears unwilling or unable to take "criticism in a constructive vein, even from the bench.""
Kirk N. Kirkconnell – Kirkconnell, Lindsey, Snure & Yates, P.A. Criminal Defense Lawyer in Winter Park, FL representing Amy J. Huizenga.

Cudos to Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel! :tyou: for putting in ink (locals, was it really on the front page?) what many have been posting and thinking for years.

Could the fact that this exposé (of sorts) is finally in a respected newspaper have any significant positive or negative effects on any legal issues in the case?

ITA! I had to check and make sure I wasn't reading an editorial.

Then that return phone call they referenced - TELLING the reporter that what he had previously said just minutes before was "off the record". Is he nuts? Only 4 days prior they went before the court trying to keep the OS cameraman from using his telephoto lens. Why would they do him any favors????

Baez is spiraling...totally self-destructing, imo. And it is picking up speed fast.

That article and comments are interesting to read.
One comment sounds like CA (no evidence) and one like JB (defense not being treated fairly).
One part of the article that stands out -

When reached last week to respond to the criticism and the management of the case in light of Perry's sanction, Baez said, "I don't have to answer any questions. Who are you?"

He added, "Do you have something to offer my client? IT'S A TWO-WAY STREET. … The door is open if you can assist me or my client." He hung up the phone, called back minutes later and said that conversation was off the record. Told that the conversation was not, Baez responded by saying, "YOU'RE LYING AND BEING UNETHICAL". He threatened to stop discussing the case altogether, an approach he has at various times taken with other Central Florida reporters.

First of all...we KNOW where this is gonna go...can we say a bazillion new motions about the media and the defendants right to a fair trial...yadda yadda yadda....

Next...I, too, believe this just shows the total and undeniable "hubris" and hypocrisy that has been, and most likely remain to be, the defense tactic since day one of this circus.

I'm shaking my head about JB's comments....BBM.
Amusing that he should accuse the newspaper reporter of the SAME things we've seen and heard him do throughout this entire case!!

And...IIRC....we've already seen him try the same tactic of withholding evidence in one of his prior cases. So glad HJP sees thru his attempts to do the same thing all over again.

Word to the defense...as a friend of mine says..."if ya think things are bad now, don't worry...it's gonna get worse!".

"He added, "Do you have something to offer my client? It's a two-way street. … The door is open if you can assist me or my client." He hung up the phone, called back minutes later and said that conversation was off the record. Told that the conversation was not, Baez responded by saying, "You're lying and being unethical.'"

LOL

Kirk N. Kirkconnell – Kirkconnell, Lindsey, Snure & Yates, P.A. Criminal Defense Lawyer in Winter Park, FL representing Amy J. Huizenga.

<snip>

Wow! Thanks ThinkTank! I had not made that connection.

psst...good to see you!

Ummm....We here at WS figured out he was in over his head, 2 1/2 years ago.

I have also thought that the best thing that happened to the case was the death penality---got him experienced lawyers on the sinking ship...half the time I ponder if this is just one of those learning type positions---intern at playing a lawyer.....:twocents::maddening:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg