PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

Wait! So the 'tip' were these psychic sisters?? Or was it something else??
I'm not saying I dont believe in psychics...but this is a cold, cold case....i'm sure there have been thousands of psychics over the years. Why come out now and call this a 'break' in the case????

I have a feeling this is all a dead end......I dont think anything will come of this, unfortunately :(

((hoping I am wrong))

Wait! So the 'tip' were these psychic sisters?? Or was it something else??
I'm not saying I dont believe in psychics...but this is a cold, cold case....i'm sure there have been thousands of psychics over the years. Why come out now and call this a 'break' in the case????

I have a feeling this is all a dead end......I dont think anything will come of this, unfortunately :(

((hoping I am wrong))

I don't think the psychics were the "tip"... (at least I hope not).. I was thinking that maybe with whatver tip the State Police received, they are using the help of the psychics maybe, for the location of Cherrie... JMO and hope.

I don't think the psychics were the "tip"... (at least I hope not).. I was thinking that maybe with whatver tip the State Police received, they are using the help of the psychics maybe, for the location of Cherrie... JMO and hope.
Very confused - how can the sisters offer a location for Cherrie, if they are the ones thinking that she is dead?

Very confused - how can the sisters offer a location for Cherrie, if they are the ones thinking that she is dead?

I got the impression that they are trying to help the State Police locate her remains, which they feel are still in Butler County.

Additionally, I don't think they're "the tip" that seems to have everyone so optimistic, rather a tool that LE may be using to aid them.

I think you are right....now that I think about it and re-read some of the articles. They stated that someone walked in to the station w/ info.
I hope they release SOMETHING!
I am originally from PA (my BF is from Southwestern PA) - I keep on checking the pittsburgh new sites.

+ + prayers.

I got the impression that they are trying to help the State Police locate her remains, which they feel are still in Butler County.

Additionally, I don't think they're "the tip" that seems to have everyone so optimistic, rather a tool that LE may be using to aid them.

This is what I am thinking too!! Bring her home!

I did not know Cherrie or her family, but this has stayed with me since I have been a 9 year old little girl. I remember seeing it on the news like it was yesterday. Cherrie was the whole reason why I joined this site and my "obsession" for trying to help find missing people.

Ok McGraw says "she could" be alive...
But yet they are working with psychic sisters who claim she is dead...
And also have claimed to be studying (or whatever you wanna call it) Cherrie's case for 15 years...are they JUST NOW considering her dead?
They think she is dead and in Butler County...yeah that could be anywhere in the damn county....
Like others have said I do hope there has been some investigation into this "tip" for Cherrie's family.
I don't necessarily discount psychics....but if you can't give me something CONCRETE after 15 years...yeah my confidence in you is waining.

Trooper Mc Graw said they had a tip that could lead to resolution--not that the State Police are working with psychics. That was in both the stories in the Butler and Pittsburgh papers. So WHO said psychics were involved? McGraw has not said that in any media story I have seen. Who is the source? And is the psychic thing a bit of LE misdirection, since the story is getting much publicity in Western PA ?

I have a source and will ask about who is touting the psychics. Pretty sure it's not the PA State Police, as the stories above discuss how "cautious" McGraw has been. If he isn't talking to the family about the lead, why would he throw a psychic into the mix?

The CNN story will feature McGraw as investigating officer. It's been bumped back, probably because of unfolding events in the Tucson shooting. Look for it on CNN Monday or more likely Tuesday. If I find out which, I will post.

Ari Hait and several other reporters were at the state police barracks and saw the psychics leave the office. The psychics had come in to talk to the troopers after the new lead was reported in the press.

Hait's story was a fabrication as he "spun" the psychics' visit into something it wasn't. WTAE was forced to take the story off their website, although the damage is already done. It should be noted that the other Pittsburgh TV outlets did NOT report the psychic story, although they were in the same area as Hait when the psychics left. I cannot provide a link as the media will not report this non-story, but you are all welcome to see that the previous link has been removed from the WTAE website.

I am waiting to be verified, then I can share a few insights.

Not really news.......still waiting ............LE working hard.

Ari Hait and several other reporters were at the state police barracks and saw the psychics leave the office. The psychics had come in to talk to the troopers after the new lead was reported in the press.

Hait's story was a fabrication as he "spun" the psychics' visit into something it wasn't. WTAE was forced to take the story off their website, although the damage is already done. It should be noted that the other Pittsburgh TV outlets did NOT report the psychic story, although they were in the same area as Hait when the psychics left. I cannot provide a link as the media will not report this non-story, but you are all welcome to see that the previous link has been removed from the WTAE website.

So are we now along the lines of a tip other than the psychics and that Cherrie COULD STILL be alive?

So are we now along the lines of a tip other than the psychics and that Cherrie COULD STILL be alive?

How amazing and wonderful would that be???!!!! And Pittsburgh girl - I sure hope you can share something with us soon! This case had some good leads to follow. It is just sad and wrong to see it unsolved for so long.

It was a tip other than the psychics. There is always the hope that she could be alive. I would note that McGraw is "cautious" and not revealing details even to the family, so my thinking is that he doesn't want to reveal what LE knows or the nature of the tip. I am just hoping for a resolution, and certainly the best possible one would be a living Cherrie.

Sorry guys I am not optimistic about this.
I would rather be wrong. :(

I'm sitting at home watching the KDKA TV news when they report on this new break in the Cherrie Mahan case. One interesting thing in the report is how the reporter emphasized that there were other vehicles at the bus stop that day, including a small blue car. That led me back to here, and what I posted online last year, where I said the same thing.

The good thing about a new investigator is that you have a fresh pair of eyes. There may have been something that was simply missed, or not recognized, that may hold the key to the case. Or perhaps something we said here spooked someone into going to the state police. Either way, I think this is a credible lead that may pan out, and I am pretty excited about it.

If you are interested in this case, take a look at the news reports on Google news that you can find, from February 1985 on. That was the basis for what I posted last year. Remember that these were the Pgh papers on the case, who covered it as extensively as the local Valley News Dispatch and Butler Eagle. But it still wasn't the local paper.

I think the key is at the bus stop itself, and who or what saw anything. For example, a kid on the bus described a picture on the back of the van, but if the van was following the bus with him in it, how could he see the back? And no one mentions the blue car there after the first week of Cherrie's disappearance. And the last break in the case, 1990, was when someone a few miles down the road that owned a blue car was arrested for molesting someone. However, he was cleared as a suspect at that point.

When this is solved, I think it will come down to someone at the bus stop seeing what happened, or someone that lives on the path to that spot. I don't think the family was involved, but the person or persons who did this knew them or of them. I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't ever a van, leading on a 25 year old goose chase, and unfortunately I do not think Cherrie is still alive. But I do know that God willing, this will be solved.

I'm sitting at home watching the KDKA TV news when they report on this new break in the Cherrie Mahan case. One interesting thing in the report is how the reporter emphasized that there were other vehicles at the bus stop that day, including a small blue car. That led me back to here, and what I posted online last year, where I said the same thing.

The good thing about a new investigator is that you have a fresh pair of eyes. There may have been something that was simply missed, or not recognized, that may hold the key to the case. Or perhaps something we said here spooked someone into going to the state police. Either way, I think this is a credible lead that may pan out, and I am pretty excited about it.

If you are interested in this case, take a look at the news reports on Google news that you can find, from February 1985 on. That was the basis for what I posted last year. Remember that these were the Pgh papers on the case, who covered it as extensively as the local Valley News Dispatch and Butler Eagle. But it still wasn't the local paper.

I think the key is at the bus stop itself, and who or what saw anything. For example, a kid on the bus described a picture on the back of the van, but if the van was following the bus with him in it, how could he see the back? And no one mentions the blue car there after the first week of Cherrie's disappearance. And the last break in the case, 1990, was when someone a few miles down the road that owned a blue car was arrested for molesting someone. However, he was cleared as a suspect at that point.

When this is solved, I think it will come down to someone at the bus stop seeing what happened, or someone that lives on the path to that spot. I don't think the family was involved, but the person or persons who did this knew them or of them. I wouldn't be suprised if there wasn't ever a van, leading on a 25 year old goose chase, and unfortunately I do not think Cherrie is still alive. But I do know that God willing, this will be solved.

Great Insight pgh guy!!... I think everyone's focus was relating that blue skier van, to Cherrie missing, so heck maybe that is why Cherrie has never been found. I know for one, being 9 years old myself when Cherrie was abducted, I always assumed that the Driver or passengers from the van were the ones who abducted her, because of how the media reported the abduction.

So for the pasat 25 years, everytime I think of the Cherrie Mahan case, I think of that Blue Skier van. I am probably not the only one who has.

I hope they have other NEW leads, and it will be ashame if the blue skier van was never involved in this mystery! The State Police could have looked at other avenues and solved this a long time ago!

Prayers to Cherrie's family.

The CNN show about Cherrie's case should be on Tuesday (today) at 10 p.m.

Pghguy, it's very interesting to see LE emphasize that vehicles other than the van were seen at the bus stop. I think people got stuck on the van idea and it took things in a wrong direction and here we sit, years later.

Praying for a big break for Cherrie and her family.

The CNN show about Cherrie's case should be on Tuesday (today) at 10 p.m.

Pghguy, it's very interesting to see LE emphasize that vehicles other than the van were seen at the bus stop. I think people got stuck on the van idea and it took things in a wrong direction and here we sit, years later.

Praying for a big break for Cherrie and her family.

I can't wait to watch it!

I think the key is at the bus stop itself, and who or what saw anything. For example, a kid on the bus described a picture on the back of the van, but if the van was following the bus with him in it, how could he see the back?

A possiblity, the boy got off at a stop before Cherrie's. He could have seen the back of the van as it continued on after the bus.

Apologies if this is contradicted by facts. I've been trying to reread everthing pertinent in the thread, but I didn't see anything that says otherwise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back