TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one daughter that I love very much. If something happened to her I couldn't bear it. If she went missing (and she did one time) there is no way I would go out looking for her dead body.

I will never blame BD for not "searching", no parent needs to do that. Ever.

She does not have to go out in the fields but she could hand out fliers, talk to HDs friends, ask people to call in tips if they have seen or heard anything, even if it is about SA. She could thank the searchers that are in the fields, hand out hot chocolate, make an appearance. She is a victim, at least at this point in time, she could do some managing of public perception of her efforts without much exertion.

She could ask people to help Clint with his search if she is not going to search. Lots of options.

I did see a post elsewhere of someone who wanted to picket BDs house (don't ask). LE asked him not to and told him the searchers desperately needed to help, to invest his energy there. So LE appears to be supporting the public search parties.

Are Billie's close relatives involved in the searches? If not, why not?

She does not have to go out in the fields but she could hand out fliers, talk to HDs friends, ask people to call in tips if they have seen or heard anything, even if it is about SA. She could thank the searchers that are in the fields, hand out hot chocolate, make an appearance. She is a victim, at least at this point in time, she could do some managing of public perception of her efforts without much exertion.

She could ask people to help Clint with his search if she is not going to search. Lots of options.

I did see a post elsewhere of someone who wanted to picket BDs house (don't ask). LE asked him not to and told him the searchers desperately needed to help, to invest his energy there. So LE appears to be supporting the public search parties.

Oh, ITA, she needs to get out of that house and do something! There is plenty she can do. I was just saying "actually searching".

I, for one, have to say that I've been very impressed with the community of CC thru all this. They are still out there searching after 5 weeks. But unfortunately, IMO, as time goes by, there will be less searchers. And I don't think the searchers will stop coming because of something someone said or did. It's just the way it is. These people are volunteers and have given whatever spare time they could in the last 5 weeks. But I think it is inevitable that most of them will slowly return to their own home lifes. All IMO.

And it must be very frustrating when you know all someone has to do is tell where she is. Not only are they not telling, they claim to not know what the heck you are talking about. People really don't like having their intelligence insulted.

Are Billie's close relatives involved in the searches? If not, why not?

Just guessing here...LE may have told them not to. They don't want evidence tampered with, or anyone saying that's what happened. KWIM?

Living in Texas, I've been around many deer hunters and I have NEVER heard of anyone using a chainsaw on a deer. Perhaps a small saw of sorts once you get to the "dressing out the deer" stage (or whatever it's called), but not a chainsaw.

Me, either. That sounds like .... overkill.... pardon the play on words.

And it must be very frustrating when you know all someone has to do is tell where she is. Not only are they not telling, they claim to not know what the heck you are talking about. People really don't like having their intelligence insulted.

kinda like when we were searching for little Caylee......

I agree-- but we've heard that Hailey doesn't have good coverage in the region-- not enough posters in store windows, etc. There is so much she could be doing. mo

Well there's something Billie could do! Go out and put up posters around town.

I personally don't think parents should do ground searches. Too much can go haywire if they find something, and it can be far more devastating than they're prepared for.

I have one daughter that I love very much. If something happened to her I couldn't bear it. If she went missing (and she did one time) there is no way I would go out looking for her dead body.

ITA...I would not be able to do any searching of fields and forests either. BUT, I would be there before dawn with bagels and cookies and drinks and bandaids and gloves and bug spray and sun screen and hats and whatever else anyone might need or want. I would not leave until I had personally thanked each and every person who showed up-- even if I had thanked them a dozen times before. I would not be spending my time watching tv or sitting on a couch or taking any kind of medication prescribed or not. If someone wanted to interview me, great, but they would have to do that while following me around handing out snacks and drinks and supplies.

jmo

where is hailey dunn.. she obviously did not run away or abscond with someone. something happened to her..

as to the searchers dedicating all their available hours to finding her... the only word that comes to my mind is warm.. and dedicated.

the only thing cold in texas is the temperature.

moo

I agree. You obviously misconstrued what I said. I did not say that anyone searching is cold. Those who search are indeed warm and dedicated, and caring, compassionate, generous, giving people.

<modsnip>

I haven't followed very many cases actively, but now I am curious about something and maybe some veteran sleuthers can answer for me... what is the norm for volunteer searchers to keep searching for a missing child? What have you seen in the past? weeks? months? years?

IMO, a couple of weeks. Then sporadically is new information comes forward. These searchers have have gone on further than most IMO.

FWIW, these types of searches are not succesful for the most part.

Oh, ITA, she needs to get out of that house and do something! There is plenty she can do. I was just saying "actually searching".

Go straight to SA grandma's & mom's property and look around !!!
Tell SA to come out and tell the truth..........
Get answers!!!

jmhoo but in the little town I come from I can see it happening easily and actually did happen in the case of my little friend, Tina Marie Harmon, who was abducted from our small town, raped and murdered and left tied up behind an oil well.

yes it does happen.

people thought that Tina's family was shady.. heck... they were... but in the end it turned up to be a complete stranger that did this...

once our community heard she was missing people wanted to help.. but everyone thought she ran away or did something bad...

this is the way words spread in small towns...especailly if you come from a family that doesn't live in the victorian house on the main street of town. this is just the way it is.

so yes, I agree with redcat that opinions in this small town could affect and effect the search.

ABSOLUTELY

moo

Nurse, thanks for sharing that about Tina Marie Harmon. I also grew up in a small town and I find that horrible that people would take sides when a child is missing to the point that it would affect whether they will search or not. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Another thing to remember, though, is that Hailey has been missing for over a month now. Public interest, searchers, etc - is likely to die down. Folks have their own families to tend to on the weekends, especially after working all week, and knowing that Hailey is missing can really make people turn and appreciate their children/families more.

I'm also curious as to why the rumors have been blamed for keeping searchers away this weekend when the weather there seems to be so bad as well, with the snow, etc. It seems to me that the weather would be a huge factor.

Rumors may come into play here - I just don't know about that part. But I think there are many many reasons that the number of searchers may be dwindling.

JMHO

ITA...I would not be able to do any searching of fields and forests either. BUT, I would be there before dawn with bagels and cookies and drinks and bandaids and gloves and bug spray and sun screen and hats and whatever else anyone might need or want. I would not leave until I had personally thanked each and every person who showed up-- even if I had thanked them a dozen times before. I would not be spending my time watching tv or sitting on a couch or taking any kind of medication prescribed or not. If someone wanted to interview me, great, but they would have to do that while following me around handing out snacks and drinks and supplies.

jmo

This I agree with! I don't even think she's met with Hailey's Angels, the ones that search daily for Hailey. Has she even visited the bridge where all the teddy bears etc. are? IMO

Why wasn't she even at the balloon launch? This was for her daughter.

Me, either. That sounds like .... overkill.... pardon the play on words.

No pun at all, that's exactly what is meant here. We have a suspect who likes to playact overkill, spends his time immersed in fictional and truthful overkill, and actually suggested to a family member-- overkill. It's not over the top thinking to be concerned about Hailey in this light. mo

I thought that press conference was about what Billie had to say-- only. LE did not stand beside her, and furthermore, the "friendly" statement was in response to a single question fired off. Seemed pretty unrehearsed to me. JMO

bbm

Kampfer said Monday he did not attend the press conference because it would "Be out of line for me to be involved in a press conference along with her, there may be some things we disagree with."

Billie expressed frustration with Police that they have not named other suspects, to which Kampfer responded, "Right now, we have lots of suspicion, things that are put together that lead to a person of interest, Shawn Adkins."

http://www.ktxs.com/big_country_news/26683573/detail.html

I'm not at all surprised that LE was not standing beside BD on 1/21. After all - she has made it clear how she feels about SA, and how she feels about LE.

To stand beside her would be to endorse her statements.

LE knows better than that. They're conducting a criminal investigation.

No, to me, if someone won't search for a defenseless child because of a rumor about their parent, that's cold hearted. My opinion.

All the searchers I know search regardless of the people who surrounded the child. They care about the child, and that's it.

I agree with your post but it is human nature to be motivated to search in cold horrible conditions when there is

A. a glimmer of hope of a happy ending

B. a sympathetic party who your efforts, though unlikely to bring home a living child, may bring and end to the anguish of not knowing.

Clint is filling that role now, but if the perception is that BD is at home on her new couch, possibly curled up on it with SA, taking in cash donations from the warmth of her living room.... the motivation to be away from your own family in the blistering cold for someone that doesn't seem to care that much and may have played a role in the body needing to be recovered, it is naive to me to think that doesn't effect your volunteer count.

With a possibility a child is alive in the fields and woods, I think they could be the child of Hitler himself and people would drop their own day to day life to search.

The 13-year-old girl was last seen leaving her Colorado City home on Dec. 27

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=338856

I beg to differ with the wording in the above article: The 13-year-old girl was last seen leaving her Colorado City home on Dec. 27

It has been reported that SA claims HD left the home, but to date (according to numerous media sources), LE has been unable to verify any sightings of HD either leaving the home or having been seen elsewhere on December 27.

Unless LE is taking SA's word that HD was "seen leaving her Colorado City home on Dec. 27". Seen by whom? By SA? The only named suspect? I seriously doubt it.

I really wish the reporters would pay more attention to how they phrase their articles.

There was a sighting originally posted on bigcountryhomepage.com from a hairdresser who claims she saw Hailey between 10:30am and 1PM on the 27th of December.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=332696

Has anyone heard if LE considered that sighting to be verified or not? I never heard anything more about this sighting? Only that the little boy with her was too young to be considered a valid witness, but certainly the hairdresser who had known her most of her life is a valid witness. That would mean she was seen alive on the 27th at 1PM.

IMO, part of BD's problem is she acts as if she knows the end of the story already. I just don't know how she knows this. Mother's intuition, personal knowledge? IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23