Catalog of Defense Blunders: Let us count the ways

omg!! the best worstest one was baez stating in open court that his client was THE ONLY PERSON who had access to the car. Come on!!!!

Declaring indignantly and repeatedly that we don't know the WHOLE story, that there was a reasonable explanation for everything. Doing so while the poor baby still had not been found, which if true would have meant they were not gonna say despite the fact that it could find her. He threw that out to save himself (and ICA) in the moment, thinking everyone would forget he said that in time. Why try and throw any evidence out if there is a reasonable explanation for it all?

One blunder comes to mind, but the details escape me. Maybe someone here can fill in the details if I sketch it out??

Much earlier in the case, before the remains were found & there was some hope that Caylee was alive (very scant hope at best), there was someone from the defense team who indicated that she was deceased.

Sorry for my lack of precision. I want to say that it was someone in charge of public relations, NOT JB or any of the lawyers who have come & gone from this case. The infamous Todd Black, perhaps? I just can't remember.

I may not recall the details, but I recall the impact of it. It seemed apparent that the defense knew something already that the rest of us did not. I even seem to recall a lot of waffling after this event by the defense team.

One blunder comes to mind, but the details escape me. Maybe someone here can fill in the details if I sketch it out??

Much earlier in the case, before the remains were found & there was some hope that Caylee was alive (very scant hope at best), there was someone from the defense team who indicated that she was deceased.

Sorry for my lack of precision. I want to say that it was someone in charge of public relations, NOT JB or any of the lawyers who have come & gone from this case. The infamous Todd Black, perhaps? I just can't remember.

I may not recall the details, but I recall the impact of it. It seemed apparent that the defense knew something already that the rest of us did not. I even seem to recall a lot of waffling after this event by the defense team.

Yes, I do recall that from TB, I do believe it was on the NG show...soon after, he was released from his duties...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Yes, I do recall that from TB, I do believe it was on the NG show...soon after, he was released from his duties...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Now I'm curious to see where this fit into the chain of events. Might be a good one to add to the "November" thread??

Thanks for your clarification!!

Justice for Caylee

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UabEpAxzU[/ame]

Here it is.

Here is my first one: (oh how I love to "thwart" Baez and I am not KB): I dedicate this thread to Caylee and to my BFF Cecy...who helped me with the title...

Jose Baez, Esquire
522 Simpson Road
Kissimmee, FL 34744

Dear Mr. Baez:

In your correspondence to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office you have stated your willingness to fully cooperate with law enforcement regarding the investigation of Caylee Anthony’s disappearance within the confines of your ethical obligation to your client, Casey Anthony.

In response to your offer to fully cooperate, I am requesting that you provide the circumstances and location Caylee Anthony was last seen. As you are aware, the previous statements provided by your client have been false and misleading.

The law enforcement personnel involved in the search for Caylee Anthony acknowledge your ethical obligation to you client. We hope that it is your client’s genuine desire to help find her daughter and to uncover the truth. We are also hopeful that you are able to provide the circumstances and location that Casey Anthony last saw her daughter, and that you understand the information we are requesting is crucial to the search for Caylee Anthony. If you are willing to assist in this matter, please contact me at your earliest opportunity.

Sincerely,

Kevin Beary
Sheriff of Orange County

Sergeant John Allen
Criminal Investigations Division
Missing Persons Squad
(407) 254-7222
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
Here’s the response FROM Jose TO OC Sheriff’s Office:
September 22, 2008
via facsimile

Orange County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Sgt. John Allen
2500 West Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32408

Re: State of Florida v. Casey M. Anthony

Dear Sgt. Allen:

I was pleased to see that your office has decided to take me up on our offer to cooperate in the search for Caylee Marie Anthony. Albeit two months later, it is better late than never, I suppose.

I was, however, displeased by the fact that I had to hear about your fax from the media before I even got the chance to read it. Nonetheless, I will convey your message to my client and discuss it with her further.

Please give me a call when you are more interested in searching for Caylee, as opposed to trying to improve your office’s public relations image. I realize that your office is under a lot of pressure because you haven’t found Caylee, butyou should conduct your efforts in a more productive manner as opposed to leaking your communications with me to the media.Sincerely,

Jose A. Baez, Esq.
:banghead::loser::maddening::floorlaugh:

As we see in Baez's letter...He does not respond to the specific request made by Sheriff Beary which was

"In response to your offer to fully cooperate, I am requesting that you provide the circumstances and location Caylee Anthony was last seen. As you are aware, the previous statements provided by your client have been false and misleading.

" If you are willing to assist in this matter, please contact me at your earliest opportunity."

Nowhere in Baez's response letter does he address or respond to Beary's request.
He only says..."I'll convey the message to my client and discuss it with her".
And then he ends with his famous line ..."Give Me a Call"

Baez's Blunders

Not asking for a Speedy Trial

Not filing a Motion for a Gag Order

Fighting against the Prosecutions Motion for a Gag Order

Spending precious time looking to cast suspicion on innocent people instead of dealing with the evidence and discovery in front of him.

This was the first blunder that came to my mind last night but I'm foggy on the details too and I just couldn't stand to look it up (but for you I did)!

Defense Spokesman Says Caylee Anthony is Dead

A spokesman for Casey Anthony’s defense team told CNN that her young daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony, is dead. Todd Black, attorney Jose Baez’s spokesman, was live on a phone interview on CNN Wednesday evening when he said, “It’s very difficult. This is a serious case involving not just the loss of the life of this little girl, but the loss of whatever is going to happen with Casey Anthony.”

And of course it was followed by:

Todd Black said defense attorney Jose Baez will hold a press conference at his Kissimmee office at 2 p.m. today.

http://kreuzer33.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/defense-spokesman-says-caylee-anthony-is-dead/

Excellent CNN clip at link, shows many classic ICA moments and the exchange.

Followed by Todd Black is Not His Real Name!

ETA: OOPS I see CBT beat me to it - same as above.

Fighting against a gag order, imo, is one of the biggest blunders JB made in this case. Not because it makes him seem disingenuous when he complains about the media, but because WHAT DEFENSE ATTORNEY in their RIGHT MIND would fight a gag order in a case like this? Jose Baez!

And if I am not mistaken the majority of Gag Order Motions filed are filed by Defense attorneys in their effort to protect their clients rights....
Am I right?

Baez stateing, it does no good for my client to show her hand...Now that she hasn't, she has him to thank for facing a DP conviction..JMHO

Justice for Caylee

During the time that ICA was being whisked away daily to JB's office, her not so subtle demeanor. (as in playing the sunglasses game with the driver Rob Dick, and speaking of her desire to be a celebrity guest with Howard Stern, and the helicopters following her). All clearly not the emotional display a frantic Mother who is searching for her missing daughter would show. All of which is transcribed in interviews with States witnesses.

The total lack of control of JB's 'client' and her non-remorseful, "excited to be a celebrity" appearance.

Thanks Nums,

There is a stark contrast in the tone and manner from this first letter dated July 21 to the next ones..

Baez went from, at least being professional in the first...to being evasive, condescending, attacking LE and feigning helpfulness... in the end offering nothing in order to help find Caylee.
:twocents:

To add to the list:

MISSING DEADLINES

This shows that he is not keeping in touch with his experts and using their expertiese to his and his client's benefit. It also shows a complete disrespect for the Court which is a big red flag that he is still trying to have a trial by ambush.

Mis-truths and half-truths in court filings

In his latest motion, he says that Simon Birch's inital response to the odor was that it was garbage.

He conveniently leaves out that his next response, upon opening the trunk, was that is wasn't garbage, rather more like the odor from a car he had on the lot which contained the remains of a man who comitted suicide.

Doesn't he think people such as Linda Drane Burdick and Jeff Ashton aren't going to remember the "real" facts?

Lack of money management

Let me count the ways.

omg!! the best worstest one was baez stating in open court that his client was THE ONLY PERSON who had access to the car. Come on!!!!

ITfreakingA. I totally remember that, and I STILL can't get over that he said that. That just sealed her fate right there along with the duct tape. If this goes to court, I can't wait for her own lawyer's words to come back and bite her! That has to be stupiest thing he's ever said in this case.

Thanks Nums,

There is a stark contrast in the tone and manner from this first letter dated July 21 to the next ones..

Baez went from, at least being professional in the first...to being evasive, condescending, attacking LE and feigning helpfulness... in the end offering nothing in order to help find Caylee.
:twocents:

Yup, I'm thinking JAB didn't write the first letter - probably the most professional thing we've seen come out of that office in almost three years!

The second was all Jose, all the way!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back