TX TX - Joshua Davis, 18 months, New Braunfels, 4 Feb 2011 - # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you thinking maybe this sounds planned, a la the Ramseys?

IDK if it's planned or not, but I wonder---did the family take him anywhere else that day? Did anyone outside the family see him, like at Walmart, HEB, anywhere? I would never get my kid that dressed---namebrand clothes and all---unless they were going somewhere. My kids outgrew so many clothes and never wore them because I thought they were too nice and let them run around the house in play clothes...

The movie also, Toy Story probably would not hold an 18 month old's attention very long at all.

I am not sure that the 6 year old and Baby Joshua have the same mothers. So in that case, I think they could both have named their children Jr. Again, I may have misheard, but I give that as a possible reason they call Joshua "the baby" instead of by name.

There can only be one 'junior.' Doesn't matter if they have different mothers. What woman is going to copy the same name as her boyfriend's child by another woman? She would want her child to be special, a unique child... not a carbon copy.
Not calling a child by his real name is not unusual for people in the South.. it's kind of common, actually.

Are you thinking maybe this sounds planned, a la the Ramseys?

I don't necessarily feel that whatever happened was planned, but after the fact, yes. I think they sat down and figured out what to say. Yes, ala the Ramsey's.

Why would someone name their second child the same name as the first child? That doesn't make any sense. If NG said this, she could have been mistaken or misunderstood somehow. I thought this baby was a Jr. If the older child has the same name, HE would be the Jr., not the baby. Unless they all have different middle names... in which case, neither child would technically be a Jr. My son has the same first name as his father, but different middle names, so he is not Jr. although a few well-meaning friends have called him that because they look so much alike.
Hope this makes sense.... I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee.

All 5 of George Foreman's sons are named George . . . .

IDK if it's planned or not, but I wonder---did the family take him anywhere else that day? Did anyone outside the family see him, like at Walmart, HEB, anywhere? I would never get my kid that dressed---namebrand clothes and all---unless they were going somewhere. My kids outgrew so many clothes and never wore them because I thought they were too nice and let them run around the house in play clothes...

The movie also, Toy Story probably would not hold an 18 month old's attention very long at all.

I don't know, with my first born, I had so many clothes for him. More than I had! lol

He had two dressers full of clothes, some never even had the price tags taken off before he outgrew them. I would dress him in cute outfits almost everyday just because I could.

I agree on the movie, too. My kids wouldn't sit still for a movie at that age.

There can only be one 'junior.' Doesn't matter if they have different mothers. What woman is going to copy the same name as her boyfriend's child by another woman? She would want her child to be special, a unique child... not a carbon copy.
Not calling a child by his real name is not unusual for people in the South.. it's kind of common, actually.

There are families that name all of their children the same first name and only change the middle name...

I know that it is not unusual darlin, I was born and raised in Texas! :)

I'm new to posting here, but have been reading around for a few days, and just fully caught up on this thread. I also spent quite a while lurking on some other boards, but I was mostly afraid or unable to post on them, so it is very nice to find a welcoming community which is a more regulated, less hostile place for discussion.

I don't see any reason to suspect the family at this time. It can't be ruled out, but without any specific empirical reason to be suspicious, all speculation is equally valid and equally uncertain.

I'm quoting this particular post below because it is well organized and contains several of the points I wish to examine -- not to pick on this particular poster at all. Though I disagree in parts, I found the post to show clear thinking and raise important issues.

1. They may call him "the baby" because the father's name is also Joshua, and if I heard Nancy Grace correctly, the 6 year old is named Joshua as well. It is less important what they call him, and more important the tense he is referred to in.

I agree that calling him "the baby" is not indicative of anything suspicious. In order for this to be suspicious, you would first have to figure out how many people do this when nothing is wrong. If a significant number of people do, and I think they do, then it is meaningless.

2. There is NO way a baby walks out of a trailer with that many adults present. And if he beats the odds and walks out isn't it dark and freezing---so he'd probably want back in. I don't think an 18 month old could navigate stairs, brave the cold, and see in relative darkness well enough to get very far.

Variations on this point have appeared repeatedly through the thread, but I disagree. I believe the large number of people could actually make the child slipping out unnoticed even more likely. One or two people would be less distracted, with less noise and chaos around, and most importantly, they would not assume that someone else must have an eye on Joshua. But in a large gathering there is a greater feeling of safety, and hence a lesser degree of vigilance. If you glance around and don't see him, you assume he is somewhere where an adult is supervising, because adults are everywhere. Some of us might be naturally or habitually more anxious, but I think this pattern is extremely commonplace in family gatherings.

3. The father was in the living room wasn't he? If so, he'd have a direct or partial view of the door, no?

Speaking as a man and a sports fan, I can guarantee that if the game was engaging, the door could have unhinged itself and done a funny little dance and Dad could have easily missed it.

4. I don't think the mother fell asleep, and even if she did there were so many other people in the house that she should not have panicked. If she simply fell asleep, she would probably say that as it would make her story more believable.

I find this one of the oddest parts of the story. I do not suspect the mother at this time, but I consider this one of the most important unresolved questions. My best attempt at answering it now is to refer back to the point about family gatherings -- that she was briefly lulled into a false sense of security, but then realized she was still the primary responsible adult and could not just assume that if she didn't know where he was somebody else must.

Another possibility is that she might not be sure if she fell asleep. It's possible to sort of doze off without really being out all the way, and to later be unsure just how deeply asleep you were. And trying to explain that to the press would result in a confusing statement, so just leaving it blank might have seemed the best option.

5. Something about this entire situation just does not sit right with me. The way the parents speak about that night, the grandpa/girlfriend, the other baby that Joshua was "interested" in, pulling the dad's beanie, the number of people present...all of it together just seems weird to me. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. If I don't see the 1 year old for even a couple of minutes---and she's quiet---I KNOW something is up.

I disagree here. I don't think there's anything odd in the family's statements that can't be easily explained by the stress, emotional toll, lack of sleep, paranoia, uncertainty and so on which would naturally occur when a child is missing. I don't see anything strange about the beanie story at all -- it sounds, in fact, extremely persuasive to me, a very realistic little memory of a recent exchange which would normally be forgotten, but which you might find yourself obsessing over if your child was missing.

I hope my post did not seem judgmental, I am trying hard to reserve judgment until there is a suspect or person of interest.

I thought you presented your points well and with a minimum of bias or judgment. I've provided what I see as possible answers, but they were important questions to ponder.

All 5 of George Foreman's sons are named George . . . .

Well, I think that is highly unusual, and not common at all.
I worked with a woman once who had two or three daughters, and all of them had the same middle name as she did. I asked her once why she did this and she said she was young and thought it was cute. Go figure.
I just can't see one woman giving her own child the exact name as the ex's child. Women are notoriously jealous and want their own kids to be unique. I could have named my son a Jr. with his dad's middle name... but he already had one son with his middle name, so I gave him his grandpa's middle name. Didn't want to be a copycat. Found out several years later that he makes the third grandson with his grandpa's middle name. Had I known that, I would have stuck another name on him.
I guess I'm just picky.

What is the mother's maiden name?

Is she 21 or 23? I have seen both ages in news reports.

Responding to jwinchester:

I appreciate the exchange, I love a good conversation/debate and things other people say helps me see from a different perspective...

1.She said the steps were covered with ice, therefore slippery. From experience going down steps can be quite a task for a small child, and add to that the steps may have been slippery.

2. Everyone knows the family friend left, could be because he said goodbye, or it could be that they heard the door. If that is the case, perhaps they should or could have heard the door when the baby went out...I'd like to know if the door was one that would sort of close automatically or if you had to push it closed (the glass door).

3. The beanie incident makes me think of how people tell a story and they are telling you parts of what happened. They inadvertently tell you things that are important even though they may be attempting to deceive you. (Again, not saying that's the case here at all)

4. I agree about the sports thing. My husband got so into the superbowl that he missed my daughter knocking my laptop off the table (grrr)

5. I also agree with the fact that the more people that are around the less chances a person has to get help. Although that applies more to when a person is in distress (car accident, flat tire, etc) I guess it also applies here because baby Joshua is in distress now.

6. I just find the wording of some things and the nature of this unsettling, but I can't really pretend to know the dynamics of that family or the dynamics of the relationship between Sabrina and Joshua Sr.

I'm new to posting here, but have been reading around for a few days, and just fully caught up on this thread. I also spent quite a while lurking on some other boards, but I was mostly afraid or unable to post on them, so it is very nice to find a welcoming community which is a more regulated, less hostile place for discussion.

I don't see any reason to suspect the family at this time. It can't be ruled out, but without any specific empirical reason to be suspicious, all speculation is equally valid and equally uncertain.

I'm quoting this particular post below because it is well organized and contains several of the points I wish to examine -- not to pick on this particular poster at all. Though I disagree in parts, I found the post to show clear thinking and raise important issues.

I agree that calling him "the baby" is not indicative of anything suspicious. In order for this to be suspicious, you would first have to figure out how many people do this when nothing is wrong. If a significant number of people do, and I think they do, then it is meaningless.

Variations on this point have appeared repeatedly through the thread, but I disagree. I believe the large number of people could actually make the child slipping out unnoticed even more likely. One or two people would be less distracted, with less noise and chaos around, and most importantly, they would not assume that someone else must have an eye on Joshua. But in a large gathering there is a greater feeling of safety, and hence a lesser degree of vigilance. If you glance around and don't see him, you assume he is somewhere where an adult is supervising, because adults are everywhere. Some of us might be naturally or habitually more anxious, but I think this pattern is extremely commonplace in family gatherings.

Speaking as a man and a sports fan, I can guarantee that if the game was engaging, the door could have unhinged itself and done a funny little dance and Dad could have easily missed it.

I find this one of the oddest parts of the story. I do not suspect the mother at this time, but I consider this one of the most important unresolved questions. My best attempt at answering it now is to refer back to the point about family gatherings -- that she was briefly lulled into a false sense of security, but then realized she was still the primary responsible adult and could not just assume that if she didn't know where he was somebody else must.

Another possibility is that she might not be sure if she fell asleep. It's possible to sort of doze off without really being out all the way, and to later be unsure just how deeply asleep you were. And trying to explain that to the press would result in a confusing statement, so just leaving it blank might have seemed the best option.

I disagree here. I don't think there's anything odd in the family's statements that can't be easily explained by the stress, emotional toll, lack of sleep, paranoia, uncertainty and so on which would naturally occur when a child is missing. I don't see anything strange about the beanie story at all -- it sounds, in fact, extremely persuasive to me, a very realistic little memory of a recent exchange which would normally be forgotten, but which you might find yourself obsessing over if your child was missing.

I thought you presented your points well and with a minimum of bias or judgment. I've provided what I see as possible answers, but they were important questions to ponder.

I agree with everything you said. Very well thought out and well written as well.

Above I've presented some of my thoughts on points regarding the family's conduct raised here. In this post I'll present what I see as the possible circumstances leading to Joshua's disappearance, in order of the likelihood I tend to assign them.

1. In my opinion, the most likely first step at this time is that Joshua made his way out of the house through a door which wasn't fully closed, possibly as a result of people going outside to smoke.

1a. Once out of the house, perhaps he stumbled into an unknown cave/hole/septic tank or other small, hidden place which is either outside the current search range, or has been overlooked. In this weather, the dogs' accuracy is reduced, and any spot small enough for a toddler to curl up in could easily be small enough for searchers to miss.

1b. Or perhaps, having made his way out, he was taken in a crime of opportunity. I find the predator scenario possible, but less likely than point 1a above, made only slightly more likely (in context) by the proximity of a known SO. If the guy across the street had company at the time, I'm sure LE is all over that and any POI could be located without much trouble -- he would have been seen traveling there, or parked there, or cell phone pings would show another person, etc. As for himself, others have made the point that most criminals who victimize teenage girls are just not interested in baby boys, but of course it can't be ruled out. A complete stranger just happening to be passing by or lurking around the house is even less likely, but also can't be ruled out.

2. Another possible first step is that he was in some way physically harmed by someone present, accidentally or intentionally, and everyone is covering up for that person. I believe this is so unlikely as to be almost impossible.

To suggest that every single adult present -- including grandparents -- would feel more compelled to protect the killer of this child than to tell the truth, even to the point of participating in hiding his body, contradicts so much of what we know about human behavior and group psychology that it would require the revelation of some very solid evidence to seem at all likely to me.

It is extremely difficult to get nine people to agree on where to go to dinner, let alone how to dispose of the body of a cherished, innocent loved one, or keep a secret despite incredibly intense emotional pressure.

2a. However, with the noisy game on television and lots of social chaos, it is possible that the child was attacked or suffered an accident while only one or two adults were present. In this case, rather than being less likely, I believe the chance of a smaller coverup is actually even higher than normal due to the presence of so many other family members -- a person or two people might panic terribly at the thought of immediately revealing to close family members that a moment of weakness led to such a tragic consequence.

2b. It has been suggested here that the entire family somehow conspired in advance to make the child vanish. I include the possibility for completeness, but only because "maybe he was abducted by aliens who wiped everyone's memory" seems slightly less likely and I have to end the list somewhere.

welcome.gif

You'll find this is one of the friendliest forums out there.

I agree with your thoughts posted here. I also don't see anything yet that points to the family.

Above I've presented some of my thoughts on points regarding the family's conduct raised here. In this post I'll present what I see as the possible circumstances leading to Joshua's disappearance, in order of the likelihood I tend to assign them.

1. In my opinion, the most likely first step at this time is that Joshua made his way out of the house through a door which wasn't fully closed, possibly as a result of people going outside to smoke.

1a. Once out of the house, perhaps he stumbled into an unknown cave/hole/septic tank or other small, hidden place which is either outside the current search range, or has been overlooked. In this weather, the dogs' accuracy is reduced, and any spot small enough for a toddler to curl up in could easily be small enough for searchers to miss.

1b. Or perhaps, having made his way out, he was taken in a crime of opportunity. I find the predator scenario possible, but less likely than point 1a above, made only slightly more likely (in context) by the proximity of a known SO. If the guy across the street had company at the time, I'm sure LE is all over that and any POI could be located without much trouble -- he would have been seen traveling there, or parked there, or cell phone pings would show another person, etc. As for himself, others have made the point that most criminals who victimize teenage girls are just not interested in baby boys, but of course it can't be ruled out. A complete stranger just happening to be passing by or lurking around the house is even less likely, but also can't be ruled out.

2. Another possible first step is that he was in some way physically harmed by someone present, accidentally or intentionally, and everyone is covering up for that person. I believe this is so unlikely as to be almost impossible.

To suggest that every single adult present -- including grandparents -- would feel more compelled to protect the killer of this child than to tell the truth, even to the point of participating in hiding his body, contradicts so much of what we know about human behavior and group psychology that it would require the revelation of some very solid evidence to seem at all likely to me.

It is extremely difficult to get nine people to agree on where to go to dinner, let alone how to dispose of the body of a cherished, innocent loved one, or keep a secret despite incredibly intense emotional pressure.

2a. However, with the noisy game on television and lots of social chaos, it is possible that the child was attacked or suffered an accident while only one or two adults were present. In this case, rather than being less likely, I believe the chance of a smaller coverup is actually even higher than normal due to the presence of so many other family members -- a person or two people might panic terribly at the thought of immediately revealing to close family members that a moment of weakness led to such a tragic consequence.

2b. It has been suggested here that the entire family somehow conspired in advance to make the child vanish. I include the possibility for completeness, but only because "maybe he was abducted by aliens who wiped everyone's memory" seems slightly less likely and I have to end the list somewhere.

Anyone know if the company was there when the police arrived? Is it ruled out that something happened to Joshua outside of the time frame when the company was there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77