Serial Killer(s) on BC Highways?

Please start threads on known/convicted serial killers thought to target these areas and/or communities for further discussion.

And keep on the look out for victims' names and descriptions along the way.

I think that when many of us see the long list of victims, a serial killer, or several serial killers, come to mind as a theory almost immediately. Or a human trafficking ring, kidnapping women.

But I think I am now in more of a mixed frame of mind - one that doesn't discount multiple murderers, and human trafficking, but one that has just this heavy, sad feeling that the area has also been hit with many tragic crimes that might only be connected via geography.

Perhaps individual killers, as well as a few multiple murderers (not necessarily serial killers), are just using the reputation of the area to hide from their more intimate crimes - the murder of girlfriends, done in the hopes that some nameless "serial killer" will get the blame.

However, the RCMP sees similarities between 18 or 19 of the 200+ cold cases in this vicinity, so perhaps those "official" Highway of Tears victims were killed by murderers of similar MO.

Frankly, I have no idea - this case just breaks my heart, and, I admit, defies my understanding.

All MOO.

I think that when many of us see the long list of victims, a serial killer, or several serial killers, come to mind as a theory almost immediately. Or a human trafficking ring, kidnapping women.

But I think I am now in more of a mixed frame of mind - one that doesn't discount multiple murderers, and human trafficking, but one that has just this heavy, sad feeling that the area has also been hit with many tragic crimes that might only be connected via geography.

Perhaps individual killers, as well as a few multiple murderers (not necessarily serial killers), are just using the reputation of the area to hide from their more intimate crimes - the murder of girlfriends, done in the hopes that some nameless "serial killer" will get the blame.

However, the RCMP sees similarities between 18 or 19 of the 200+ cold cases in this vicinity, so perhaps those "official" Highway of Tears victims were killed by murderers of similar MO.

Frankly, I have no idea - this case just breaks my heart, and, I admit, defies my understanding.

All MOO.

I think you are exactly correct. Exactly. A few key crazies, poor rural communities, drugs and alcohol and opportunity.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Canad...on+people's+lives+in+many+ways...-a0145268551

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around multiple killers. Surely there are other areas in the world with the same dynamics and they don't have this number of murders?!?

I also believe it is a sort of perfect storm situation. The geography, the remoteness, the sparse population, comprised of poverty stricken communities with little policing and fewer resources, the highway. I think it creates an area and a victim pool of percieved "throwaways" that would give someone(s) the idea that anything goes.

I also wonder if, with the apparent popularity of hitching in this area, coupled with the highway, is it heavily travelled by truckers? If so, it is possible that more than one of the disappeared young women, hitched a ride with a bad apple, who was not local to the area, but travels trhough it with some regularity. That could mean the bodies were dumped well down the trucker's route, and even if found, never associated with the area they went missing in. Who knows how many victims may have been found elsewhere but never identified.

As far as there being other areas that fit this mold and us not having heard of such numbers of disappearances, I do not know about that. Remember, we had no clue about THIS area and its startling number of disappearances til very recently, and yet there it was, all this time, right under our noses.

A have suspicions that Pickton had many more victims from the 500 missing women and he may have had help is getting them on his farm. I think that there are multiple perps with differing motives stemming from general hatred against women. It can include taxi drivers who could pick up women on the street and no one would notice since that is what the job entails, picking up people on the side of the road. It could include truckers who see a lone woman or woman on the side of the road and may be the only vehicle in the area for at least a few minutes. I need to review info about the actual investigations in these cases and find out which areas were searched, etc. Unfortunately, my gut tells me that missing Native women and prostitutes were not high priority for any investigation. I need to research this though. JMO

Thank you mods and especially Ducky for creating this forum as a resource for those researching these crimes against women.

:blowkiss:

I also believe it is a sort of perfect storm situation. The geography, the remoteness, the sparse populatioln, comprised of poverty stricken communities with little policing and fewer reLsources, the highway. I think it creates an area and a victim pool of percieved "throwaways" that would give someone(s) the idea that anything goes.

I also wonder if, with the apparent popularity of hitching in this area, coupled with the highway, is it heavily travelled by truckers? If so, it is possible that more than one of the disappeared young women, hitched a ride with a bad apple, who was not local to the area, but travels trhough it with some regularity. That could mean the bodies were dumped well down the trucker's route, and even if found, never associated with the area they went missing in. Who knows how many victims may have been found elsewhere but never identified.

As far as there being other areas that fit this mold and us not having heard of such numbers of disappearances, I do not know about that. Remember, we had no clue about THIS area and its startling number of disappearances til very recently, and yet there it was, all this time, right under our noses.

Yes this highway is heavily and Frequently traveled by truckers. Highway 16 is the main highway that runs east to west in northern BC. And if you will look at a map of Prince George, BC you will noticed that highway 97, the Caribou highway runs right through town, north to south. Prince George is essentially a hub in this area of BC.

He initially believed there was a serial killer cruising the highway “but I don’t believe that now. But until you catch somebody, you don’t know.”

Despite “one name that keeps popping up” — he wouldn’t reveal the man’s name, other than to say he is linked to a community close to Prince George — there is little to link the unsolved cases together, other than the fact the girls and young women were last seen on the highway, many of them hitchhiking.

He now believes the murders were likely crimes of opportunity committed by various men living in the local communities where the tragedies took place or passing through those communities.

“That’s scarier than having a serial killer,” Michalko explained, adding it means more than a dozen men got away with murder and are still walking free.
http://www.globaltvbc.com/world/Possible+Highway+Tears+suspects+haunt+detectives/2336915/story.html

I think a lot of violence against prostitutes could stem from johns catching STDs and blaming it on the women instead of blaming themselves for their own decision to take the risk. When the prostitute is someone of a different ethnic group, that probably just adds fuel to the fire.

After all, it's been theorized that a contributing factor to Adolf Hitler's antisemitism and his eventual murder of 6,000,000 European Jews was that he had caught an STD from a Jewish prostitute in Vienna.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olocaust-Jewish-prostitute-gave-syphilis.html

From the article:

Hitler, who reportedly had sex with a Jewish prostitute in Vienna in 1908, put syphilis high on his political agenda, devoting 13 pages to the disease in his book Mein Kampf.

The job of "combating syphilis - the Jewish disease - should be the task of the entire German nation," he wrote.

"The health of the nation will be regained only by eliminating the Jews."

I have never even heard of these murders before
I am going to go thru and read all of this info tomorrow while on verdict watch for Caylee .

That hitler stuff is nonsence i just today seen s thing that hitler was gay and never consimated his relationship with whatever her name was it came up in the aikman trials or inquiry just by oincidence i seen it today and seen your statement..never the less if you kill more then one person your considered a seriel killer so i dont think there is a what a lot of people immediantly think of when u see seriel killer theres no john wayne gacy here or ridge way its quite a few that are in the lower numbers they see these girls at the truck stops they see the drugs and sex workers they know there gonna be unacountable for the next run 18 hours or what have you and they do it every now and again thats my theory i think this is more like ahand full of guys like that happy face killer guy the trucker,,thats my thinking.

That hitler stuff is nonsence i just today seen s thing that hitler was gay and never consimated his relationship with whatever her name was it came up in the aikman trials or inquiry just by oincidence i seen it today and seen your statement..never the less if you kill more then one person your considered a seriel killer so i dont think there is a what a lot of people immediantly think of when u see seriel killer theres no john wayne gacy here or ridge way its quite a few that are in the lower numbers they see these girls at the truck stops they see the drugs and sex workers they know there gonna be unacountable for the next run 18 hours or what have you and they do it every now and again thats my theory i think this is more like ahand full of guys like that happy face killer guy the trucker,,thats my thinking.

Actually, Hitler was responsible for the arrest and murder of many gays during his reign of terror. Gays were sent to concentration camps and had to wear pink triangles. If Hitler didn't consumate his marriage, it could've very well been because of impotence which is a symptom of advanced syphilis.

I think North Americans are especially bad for wanting to punish the suppliers of whatever it is that has caused them a health problem when they knew full well what they were getting into. We're not very good at holding ourselves responsible for our own mistakes. I've heard of people in North America suing fast food restaurants because of their own obesity, suing tobacco companies because of cancer, suing McDonald's for selling them hot coffee after they ordered coffee and spilled it on their own crotch, and so on. I can easily see a guy or various guys catching STDs and blaming it on the prostitutes instead of themselves and then seeking revenge.

Your correct he was said to be impotent. However on the History chanel that i seen this show on last week I just do not recall the name of the program .The rumor of him being gay was started when he was a younger man well before he became who he became .It also had a man and a woman husband and wife that were hitlers maids and the rumor was so abumdent that they would purpiously check his and her bed sheets and underwear for any sighn of sexuall activity and they said they never found anything .And after reading what you said about what he did to gays in the camp sounds to me like it was a way to make himself look like he thought being gay was in humain but thats enough about Hitler. Further more I think your comments about the North Americans is wrong in so many ways i dont know why you would target a specific location and seems to me to be a idiotic remark that kinda stuff happens every where all over the world not just north americans .

- Madison Scott, 20, Vanderhoof, B.C., May 27 2011

http://www.iammissing.ca/Missing Start Jan-11.html

You will have to scroll down, but it connects Madison is connected to Hwy Tears.

Lots of areas in BC hitching is common, its how you get to work, its how you get around-no bus service. Its how the kids get around. Thats why i got my child a cell phone-just in case bad things happen.

MLE - its the clients that give the girls STDs, condoms are usually required - unless you pay more. Most working girls get checked every couple of weeks. Its kinda part of the job.

JMO MOO , the guys probably got a nice truck, probably a local business man, knows the roads well. The roads are lonely, the time between pick up hitcher to gone missing, is usually a few days to a few weeks. So easy, no witnesses. MOO

i JMO one person plus the odd random oppitunitist

Did anyone else notice that on another thread discussing who could be doing this someone mentioned teen in 1969 would have made the killer about 70 and in this madison scott missing person they mention a 70 yr or so man who attempted to abduct someone along this highway

My best friend from Ontario, Gabriella Zabradi we were best friends in the 70's before I moved back to USA in 1982.... I last saw her in the early 90's.....

Her Momma told me in the early 2000's that she hasn't heard from her. She started dating a trucker that drover thru Manitoba, Saskatchewan etc... and hasn't heard from her since. She is missing. And I am heartbroken...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back