Britney Tongel and Bullying

nosysw

Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread for this and I wasn't sure if I should do it for Britney or make a thread in another forum about bullying and cyberbullyinging in general but I figured I would start here.

http://republicanherald.com/news/police-investigate-bullying-claims-1.1107459

Police said in their statement Wednesday that "no foul play" is suspected.

Several accusations - which could not be confirmed, but had been made in a number of Facebook posts - indicate two girls had recently posted messages on a social networking site created by Tongel suggesting she kill herself, "and she did," as one person wrote.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...el-2-16-2011/202767389736980?sk=wall&filter=2

http://newsitem.com/news/expert-shift-the-culture-make-bullying-unacceptable-1.1106804#axzz1EKApnjHs

My thought is, our children nowadays have access to the outside world and it to them in ways our parents never imagenined having to worry about. The internet has forever changed the way in which we communicate with one another for the better and the worst. We cannot unring that bell but we as parents of young peopel, must keep up with this technology and begin teaching our children from a very young age that bullying is just that bullying. Small minded people who cannot be happy or feel good about themselves unless they are denegrating and knocking down another. We need to be vigilant in teaching our children that the only opinions that matter are ours and those who we respect, not those who have the largest click or those who have the nicest clothes or the cutest boyfriend. We need to change the way in which we prepare our children for this world, which has changed around us.

We haven't experienced bullying against our kids yet, but have been preparing them for that eventuality from day one. Because it will happen, it is simply a matter of time. And when it does, I need to know my kids are prepared to face it, knowing that this person or persons are LESS than themselves. I need to know that they will tell me about it and inform appropriate people and walk tall as they go through it, with me by their sides.

I really hope someone is tracing the ISP's of those FB acc'ts. The acc'ts themselves need to be reported so that FB can ban those ISP's.

give a person a little anonymity and suddenly it is carte blanche to act like an inhuman A-hole. So sad, even on a memorial page, probably one being read by her loved ones, these jerks find it necessary to be, well, [jerks]

I'm heartsick over this. Britney is the second teen from this area who was bullied to the point of suicide in the last 3-1/2 months (Brandon Bitner took his own life 11/5/10).

RIP Brit. You were a beautiful, beautiful girl and did NOT deserve to be treated so badly. :(

Thanks for that video. I couldn't help choking up when her friend was talking. I agree with TL above- our kids have to deal with so many more issues on so many more levels with the technology today and the anonymity it allows. I hope they find enough incriminating information from her laptop to prosecute some people and publicize it widely. Maybe when people realize (as we already know so well from WS) that the internet can be easily scrutinized and really isn't anonymous they will be more careful of what they put out there.

I really do fear for this generation. These incidents seem to be becoming more and more prevalent and I'm scared for my own kids and those I work with.

My DH never realized how bad cyber bullying was, until I just showed him those pics and comments. So so sad, and SO REAL. I too am scared for the life my kids have to face. The oldest is only in 1st grade......

RIP Britney :(

Yes, those pics were horrendous. I hadn't seen them until LadyL posted them. I should show them to my husband. We have all boys and he is one of those "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" kind of tough guys. The other idea is "just ignore them and they'll stop". That's how I was brought up. The most useless advice ever. If it were that easy, we would not see the problems we see continuing and even worsening.

Yes, those pics were horrendous. I hadn't seen them until LadyL posted them. I should show them to my husband. We have all boys and he is one of those "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" kind of tough guys. The other idea is "just ignore them and they'll stop". That's how I was brought up. The most useless advice ever. If it were that easy, we would not see the problems we see continuing and even worsening.

That advice seemed to work 50 years ago..... Or maybe we just didn't hear about the bad cases..... hmmm:waitasec:

But my DH was stunned, education is the key to stop this :twocents:

That advice seemed to work 50 years ago..... Or maybe we just didn't hear about the bad cases..... hmmm:waitasec:

But my DH was stunned, education is the key to stop this :twocents:

I agree...I went on the FB page and some of the kids were really hurting. A couple in particular got to me so I commented to them giving them a couple of resources to turn to if they feel overwhelmed...It's amazing how much these kids open up when they're in pain and feel like someone is recognizing it. (Another thing I like about FB but that's on the other thread so let me not go OT, lol!).

this is such a sad situation all around. i was bullied in school and it was awful! and i dont know how i would have handled it if there were social networking sites when it was happening to me. i guess its like the "guns dont kill people, people kill people" but the one thing i know is that kids can be vicious... just take a look at the quotes on the pics of the rip facebook page! this poor girl killed herself and the bullies still continue with their nonsense - they and their parents need to acknowledge what has happened and be charged with something... how many young people are going to have to endure this crap? it sounds like the school dropped the ball but the behavioral problems must have started long before all of this left a young girl dead. to late now to save this girl. i know that parents cant be held 100% responsible for the behavior of their kids BUT now after this girl has died and their kids are still bullying the RIP page i think its obvious that the bullies need to be held accountable for the part that they played in this girls death. im sick of reading of kids killing themselves because they are basically tormented to death... i dont think there is any acceptable level of bullying. once it is reported there should be dealt with a "zero tolerance" policy

My school district does have a zero tolerance policy on bullying.... Kinda, at first "proven" instance, the bullyer will be transfered to a different school, if it continues, they will be expelled from the district.

Is Britney a celebrity?

No, just a girl from a Pennsylvania...There was some reference to her foster parents so I don't know what else had gone in her life...She hadn't attended the school that long, I guess...a sad story to add to the growing archives of cyberbullying.

My school district does have a zero tolerance policy on bullying.... Kinda, at first "proven" instance, the bullyer will be transfered to a different school, if it continues, they will be expelled from the district.

I wish more schools would do this...What better wake up call for a bully than to be transferred somewhere where he/she will have to deal with being the bully? I really like that idea because it's also a natural consequence of their behavior which is at the core of positive behavioral intervention.

Unfortunately, as you quoted "proven", I think you're alluding to the fact that it can be "overlooked" more often than not...That is the crux of the matter, IMO...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back