Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, but I'm not concerned about how many reactors there are, what I'm concerned about a similair scenario (EQ, Tsunami) I understand none of our (U.S.) plants have as many reactors so it could never be as dire BUT COULD the same thing happen here?

Please, please, please remember I have NO qualifications to answer this question. It depends on the height of the seawall at the plant and the location of the back-up generators and back-up batteries. Hopefully they are in a better location than directly behind the seawall at sea level...

2110: Stuart Blackburn from Osaka writes: "Today, I and other Britons were contacted by the foreign office, and asked to refer to a report from the government's Chief Science Officer for advice. His conclusion was plain; even if the reactors meltdown, we would be in no danger. There is no reason to leave. For me, this was the clear, expert opinion I had been waiting for. I shall not leave Japan. I began to spread the word to friends. Until, that is, I read an article from the New York Times. The reactor blasts have exposed storage pools of spent fuel to the outside. With the cooling systems down, the water covering the fuel is boiling away, and engineers are unable to conduct repairs. Should the water evaporate away, the spent rods could ignite, sending huge volumes of radioisotopes into the air. 100 rapid deaths within 500 miles. Over 100,000 deaths over time. Of course, this is a worse-case scenario. But the once quenched debate is re-ignited. Should we stay? For now, we can only wait, and talk." Have Your Say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Is anyone finding ANY up to date news coming from over there, or from here either as to the actual situation?

Is anyone finding ANY up to date news coming from over there, or from here either as to the actual situation?

Nope, I'm not..it says breaking news but from when?:banghead::banghead:

Yeah.......right, OK. lol.

2046: Japan's foreign ministry has asked foreign diplomats and government officials to remain calm and "accurately convey information provided by Japanese authorities concerning the plant", according to NHK television.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

But the Japanese authorities are getting their info from "The Company". :banghead:

Typing "The Company" makes me feel like I'm talking about the show "24" or something.

I understand we will have to agree to disagree on nuclear power. Please forgive me as I had one of those "need to defend my stance" times. I didn't mean to offend anyone who disagrees with me and if I did I am truly sorry.

I watch in horror what is happening in Japan, just as all of you do and hope nothing like this happens here. I keep hoping for a saving grace, knowing all too well that it's too far gone.

If those SNF pools are empty or low there's no one able to go in there to do anything.

This is all MOO, IMO, JMO...

The Dow Jones industrial average ended the day's trading session 242 points lower amid concerns over the US economy and the disaster in Japan.

I understand we will have to agree to disagree on nuclear power. Please forgive me as I had one of those "need to defend my stance" times. I didn't mean to offend anyone who disagrees with me and if I did I am truly sorry.

I watch in horror what is happening in Japan, just as all of you do and hope nothing like this happens here. I keep hoping for a saving grace, knowing all too well that it's too far gone.

If those SNF pools are empty or low there's no one able to go in there to do anything.

This is all MOO, IMO, JMO...

I appreciate your posts, the information you share, and the fact that you are careful to say you're not an expert. Keep the posts coming - all any of us have right now are our own opinions.

dunno my 5 yr old fell off his bike and i missed it.. it was a young guy talking and it was 6:41 am in Tokyo or close to it so it was live i think

lol, I hope he's ok! I remember those days. :crazy:

I am going to open a new thread shortly, so heads up.

LOL yeah just a bruised ego because he fell off in front of his older brothers!

I really don't know why the news already seems to be drying up but it's pizzin' me off.

Nuclear Information Gap Spreads Doubt, Fear

Excerpt:
The uncertainty that has gripped Japan in the days since its nuclear crisis began is erupting into public and official anger over the lack of reliable safety information.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan seemed to be speaking for his entire country Tuesday when he met with executives from the Tokyo Electric Power Co. "What the hell is going on?" Kan demanded, according to a report from Japan's Kyodo news agency.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/16/134573800/nuclear-information-gap-spreads-doubt-fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak