Deposition: Michael Vincent, CSI

Why would it make any difference 'who' suggested that these tests be done? Yuri was not the one who actually did the tests. He just heard/read about the tests and maybe the CSI hadn't. Was it Vincent who did the 'air sample' or was it the Body Farm expert? :waitasec: Who collected the 'air sample'?

Michael Vincent did the test from the instructions he was given. Way back, long time ago there was discovery released about all of this. Dr. Vass was very upset about the leaks to media because he had not concluded his work. I remember an email that Vincent is asking Dr. Vass about how to do the testing. A lot of posters were unhappy about MV doing the tests because in the email he sounded like he didn't know what he was doing or at least that's the impression some people got.

I think Baez is going to try and present to the jury a case whereby LE were looking at his client and no one else, using experimental or new science to tie his client to the crime as LE were intent on persecuting poor little ICA. So he might be trying to present Yuri as a cop hell bent on charging ICA when there were "supposedly" plenty of other suspects. The only thing Baez can try to do is discredit LE and the evidence, he has nothing else to work with.

Just like Detective Grogan said at Scott Petersons trial...the evidence always went back to Scott. The 40 point list gone over and every time it was Scott. He could never clear him. I believe YM and JA will say something similar in this case. They followed the evidence. No big loss imo if they don't get the air samples in. There's just so much evidence in this case with some things harder to dispute than others.

ose Baez: What did the car smell like?
Vincent: It smelled like a dead body.
Baez: And how do you know that?
Vincent: Through my experience of dealing with a lot of decompositions.
Baez: How many decomposing bodies have you encountered in your career?
Vincent: Probably anywhere from 30 to 40.
B

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's more than likely a duck. In this case, everyone seems to agree it smelled like a dead body. This guy has been around 30 or 40. I think he qualifies as knowing what one smells like.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's more than likely a duck. In this case, everyone seems to agree it smelled like a dead body. This guy has been around 30 or 40. I think he qualifies as knowing what one smells like.

Right...CA, GA, OSCO, CSI, cadaver dogs ALL say it smelled like a dead body. But I'm sure it was just garbage. :crazy:

I'll take everyone's work for it that once you smell human decomposition you never forget the odor. I think JB needs to be reminded that "death is different".

I wonder if Tony was asked if he could identify any of the items which were in that garbage bag ICA took from his house. And: Who ate that last slice of pizza?

Michael Vincent did the test from the instructions he was given. Way back, long time ago there was discovery released about all of this. Dr. Vass was very upset about the leaks to media because he had not concluded his work. I remember an email that Vincent is asking Dr. Vass about how to do the testing. A lot of posters were unhappy about MV doing the tests because in the email he sounded like he didn't know what he was doing or at least that's the impression some people got.

Thank you kindly for the info, strach. I didn't realize that Vincent actually did the tests. I missed that. I thought that the expert from the Body Farm travelled to Florida.

The investigation starts with the last person to see the child alive. That would be her mother. She is not talking. When she was they were all lies. So in order to discredit LE, JB has to discredit his own client. The evidence speaks for itself. I think Yuri made it quite clear their mission was to find the missing child which did not seem to concern Caylee's mother. KC's main concern after her arrest was getting Tony's telephone number because she was arrested on a %*)%$ whim. That telephone call alone would be enough to convince a jury of her lack of concern. If you are truly concerned about the welfare of your child, you don't lie (as Yuri stated) about a job you do not have. jmo

Agree totally but in trying to understand Baez's line of questioning I was putting myself in his shoes and I believe this is the motivating factor behind his "unusual" questions as to who paid/who contacted Dr Vass, as per the deposition.

What I wrote above in my earlier post is not my opinion of the facts but what I believe Baez is going to present at trial.

I'm really beginning to think they SHOULD take the jury to the car to decide if it smells like decomp for themselves. Most of them probably never have, but they have all smelled garbage. Oh, and when I was in Junior High, we had a combined bus with high schoolers, and the seniors would smoke pot in the back of the bus (circa 1979). No wonder I was always starving by 8 am LOL. Anyhooo, he is right, you know it when you smell it.

I remember talking about this ages ago and wondered if the jury would be allowed to smell the car, I'm sure that would end the "car smells like rotting pizza debate" once and for all - would also be a slam dunk for the State - because I bet that car still smells horrendous.

I'll take everyone's work for it that once you smell human decomposition you never forget the odor. I think JB needs to be reminded that "death is different".

OT: I smelled it one time when my husband and I were dating. He was a LEO (26 years) and pointed it out to me when we walked past an apartment. Sometimes he'd come home in the middle of shift and take a shower after he found a DB. lol! The second time was at work, for me, we discovered a body in a condo that had been in there for four days in the hot sun, and yeah, GARBAGE. Loads of it. The police wanted me to go in and look for myself, I just asked for a copy of the report. I went to my office and called in a biohazard team.

My money's on the dogs too. You can't hardly get them to lie.

Wouldn't that be great if they had the dogs testify in court? Keep garbage in a controlled hot environment for 30 days, have a decomp sample and ask the dog to choose.:rocker:

Here is a link to the thread with the emails between Dr. Vass and the CSI:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156"]2009.08.07 Emails between Oak Ridge and OCSO - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

No kidding. He's way more an expert than a certain nurse of decompostion, and even she said it "smelled like there's a damn dead body in the car." I about fell over when he said how many he'd smelled. Lord, that is probably burned permanently in his brain. Yet Baez kept pushing like smelling thirty to forty dead bodies just isn't enough to know the smell of decomp. Jeebus.

I hope the air samples come in. The poor squirrel, who miraculously crawled up into Casey's car and got "plastered to the frame" is eliminated as a source by the air samples, as is pizza. Nice try, Casey! If they don't come in, the jury will hear the words of Cindy, George and Lee and the testimony of every LE professional who came in contact with the car. I hope the jury is allowed to see/smell the car but I have a feeling they won't.

Even if you have no idea what decomposition smells like, you instinctively recognize it and know it's decomp when you smell it for the first time. You innately know it's not garbage, it's not rotting lunch meat and it's for damned sure not pizza!! It must be something deep in our collective memory.

Wouldn't that be great if they had the dogs testify in court? Keep garbage in a controlled hot environment for 30 days, have a decomp sample and ask the dog to choose.:rocker:

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't really don't understand why this is a 'Frye' issue. Dogs have been used for decades to follow scent trails, search and rescue, hunting, etc., why all of the sudden is this 'idea' new?

Didn't we determine over 2 yrs ago that 3-week old pizza dries up & has no smell? I remember performing this experiment . . . didn't have the dead body to compare to, though.

Garbage smell v death smell = no comparison

Agree totally but in trying to understand Baez's line of questioning I was putting myself in his shoes and I believe this is the motivating factor behind his "unusual" questions as to who paid/who contacted Dr Vass, as per the deposition.

What I wrote above in my earlier post is not my opinion of the facts but what I believe Baez is going to present at trial.

In CA's words, absolutely. IMO I'm just pointing out why I don't think those arguments if presented by JB would work. But you are right. They are willing to try just about anything.

I think it is very important to find out when these experts were hired/contacted and if they were paid by JB initially, since JB claims that the remainder of the money from the pictures was spent on experts and investigations. Does not appear to be so. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back