IN IN - Dr. Promila Mehta-Paul, 70, Munster, 21 March 2011 *Guilty plea to amended charges*

There are two threads for this case - can someone merge them?????

When I started this thread yesterday, I noticed the other thread is in another sub-forum, which is for information and support, not general discussions of theories, etc. as to what may have happened to Dr. Mehta-Paul. :)

Almost all news articles mention that police say her home looks like she has not been there in several days.
Could they tell by newspapers and mail not picked up?
So, she was reported missing on Tues., after she did not show for hospital rounds.
And if the police went out that day, then had she not been going home?

Was she staying with friends? Doubtful, as they would have been in touch with police by now.
Why was she away from her home? Had there been hard feelings between her and her adult son? Why did he leave and when did he leave and go back to CA?
Did he fly, Amtrak, drive?

And why is his car missing one of its plates?

Almost all news articles mention that police say her home looks like she has not been there in several days.
Could they tell by newspapers and mail not picked up?
So, she was reported missing on Tues., after she did not show for hospital rounds.
And if the police went out that day, then had she not been going home?

Was she staying with friends? Doubtful, as they would have been in touch with police by now.
Why was she away from her home? Had there been hard feelings between her and her adult son? Why did he leave and when did he leave and go back to CA?
Did he fly, Amtrak, drive?

And why is his car missing one of its plates?
I also have questions about the "several days". If co-workers and friends began to contact LE on Wednesday, 3/23, and she was last seen Monday evening, that doesn't constitute several days if LE immediately went out to her residence. However, what isn't clear is exactly when they did go to her house. I am also curious about her son's trip back to California, and if it had been scheduled in advance. I would also think if she were staying somewhere else, such as with someone or at a hotel, there would have been that information provided to LE. It's all very strange since everything seemed normal on Monday, including her making the bank deposit after work. MOO

When I started this thread yesterday, I noticed the other thread is in another sub-forum, which is for information and support, not general discussions of theories, etc. as to what may have happened to Dr. Mehta-Paul. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a relative newbie and haven't really noticed the difference.
Having said that, I grew up in da' Region as it's known. Went to elementary in Munster, high school in Highland. The two towns are very densely populated suburbs of Hammond/Gary with very little in the way of open space. The parks are surrounded by subdivisions, except Homestead Park in Highland which is bordered by the Borman Expway (I 80/94) and the Cady-Marsh Ditch (a smelly stream which borders the southern edge of both towns.
This is a puzzlement. She is a very well-respected, long established physician in the area.

Munster police issue alert for missing doctor's car

"Police said they are looking for her missing light-color Toyota RAV4 that may have Indiana license plate DW2031 or California plate 6LHZ319.

A second search of her residence was made late Monday afternoon, police said, as well as the residence across the street which Mehta-Paul, 70, was watching for the vacationing owners. "Investigators did remove some items which will be further examined" in an effort to locate her, police said in a statement."

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-munster-police-issue-alert-for-missing-doctors-car-20110329,0,7609223.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...gindianawoman,0,7028969.story?obref=obnetwork

Police have spoken to all three of Mehta-Paul's sons, including one who was staying with her on a visit from California.

I still would like more of an explanation about the missing license plate, however, I also wonder if it is possible someone followed her from the bank, thinking she was withdrawing money instead of depositing it, and figured her to be an easy target for a robbery. Most articles state she was last seen at her medical office, although since she made the bank deposit, she should have been on the bank's surveillance video also. MOO

No problem, since very little of it can be in one post. With this new information, I am curious about the possible involvement of the ex-husband. :waitasec: MOO

I was thinking the same thing.
Seems the lawsuit has been dragging on a long time.
She was 70 yrs old, maybe she felt she wanted to retire, and wanted that missing pension money returned.

I am sure police will be taking a long look at her ex husband and his acquaintances.

I was thinking the same thing.
Seems the lawsuit has been dragging on a long time.
She was 70 yrs old, maybe she felt she wanted to retire, and wanted that missing pension money returned.

I am sure police will be taking a long look at her ex husband and his acquaintances.

Fifteen years is a long time, and that part of the article really got my attention -

" Mehta-Paul accused her ex-husband and his lawyer of funneling millions of dollars out of her pension in a 2003 bankruptcy-related filing."

That is a lot of money. If she disappears, so do the legal proceedings........

MOO

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/new...ila-mehta-paul-daman-husband-divorce-20110330

“We’ve talked to all the family members,” said Munster Police Sgt. Steven Kovacik, including Dr. Paul’s ex-husband, Munster pediatrician Dr. Shashi Daman Paul, 67. The couple has continued to battle in court over marital assets since their 1991 divorce filing.
.....and........
The former spouses have pursued a long and stormy dispute over money. And oldest son, Paresh Paul, 38, who in recent years had lived with his mother, has been arrested for battery, public intoxication and driving under the influence.

Note: Read the section: epic divorce battle.
The couple continued to fight in and out of court. In 2003, Shashi Damon Paul allegedly crashed into his wife’s car along Woodhollow Drive in Schererville, according to a complaint she filed in Lake Superior Court.

It certainly is a contentious relationship years after their divorce.
She has told a newspaper in 1999 that his first wife hanged herself in 1971.

It's looking worse and worse for a couple family members right now........

MOO

Got a baaaadddd feeling about this - you know that saying 'revenge is a dish best served cold'? Yeah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back